high capcity battle style deer rifle

PDA

zooski22
July 15, 2010, 08:28 PM
As you have guessed I'm looking for a high capacity battle style deer rifle. I've been pondering this for months and I've narrowed it down to a Springfield M1A, DS Arms fal or a POF all of course chamberd in .308. The gun will be primary used hunting deer in the northwoods of Wisconsin but also looking for a shtf rifle. Up here you rarely shoot anything past 200 yards but I'd like a gun that I can comfortably shoot out to 300. I have friends that hunt every year with their AR-15 and are successful year after year but I'd like a big boy cartridge. I plan on putting a Trijicon 3X9 accupoint on my final decision. Not looking for anything over $2300 the lower the better but I will pay for quality. Help me out with your opinions.

If you enjoyed reading about "high capcity battle style deer rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gb0399
July 15, 2010, 08:43 PM
How about a remington R-25?

PT1911
July 15, 2010, 08:47 PM
I would go R-25... looking at around 1500 for that... or an M1A... prices vary but nice used ones can be had for around the same price and less than the R-25. That will leave you a nice chunk for the Glass...

Personally I like the PTR-91... as accurate as I need it to be.

zooski22
July 15, 2010, 09:03 PM
Forgot to mention I'm looking for a piston rifle.

charcoalburner
July 15, 2010, 09:04 PM
Springfield M1A Scout squad or Socom 16 would be my choice. Add a five round mag if required and a receiver scope mount if you do not like the scout setup. To me it balances better than any AR platform.

gb0399
July 15, 2010, 09:05 PM
Why a piston?

Heck
July 15, 2010, 09:06 PM
FNAR

MistWolf
July 15, 2010, 09:09 PM
A DI AR is just as good as a piston system.

In this case, I'd go with a basic Armalite AR10-A4 w/20" barrel. No, the magazines won't be as cheap as the Pmags for the KAC (which the DPMS/Remmy use) but Armalite mags have a bit more room for cartridge length. Armalites are going for roughly $1200 - $1500. There's a version with a stainless steel barrel that's a little more. Armalite AR-10s are accurate and reliable and their advertised weight is 9.6 lbs. It's easy to add optics to. Other barrel lengths are available.

You could order the parts & build one the way you want.

M14 is expensive and it's difficult & expensive to mount optics. Otherwise an excellent rifle when tuned correctly

A Fal is another great choice and easier than an M14 to mount optics to. Not as accurate and most Fals are built from kits. If not built properly, you'll be spending some time to get it to run right. Once that's done, it pretty much will keep running right with minimal maintenance.

The PTR is another good rifle if you get one with a serial number with an "A" prefix. Later rifles with the prefix "AW" are known to be particular about ammo. Magazines can still be found for a bargain if you know where to look. You have to be accepting of the quirks of HK roller locks & clones otherwise stay away from them.

Of the four, the AR is the most versatile

zooski22
July 15, 2010, 09:13 PM
Runs cleaner and easier to maintain.

PT1911
July 15, 2010, 09:14 PM
Piston rifles are overrated!!!! Sure they have their advantages and may well be more reliable if you choose to neglect your guns... shoot good ammo AND/or clean and maintain your weapon, the fact that it has a tube instead of a piston makes absolutely no difference... other than costing an extra 1000 dollars (give or take a couple hundred dollars.)

MistWolf
July 15, 2010, 09:27 PM
A piston system does not run any cleaner, it just chooses a different spot to dump it's carbon.

The Stoner DI system has been proven to keep running so long as the shooter keeps it lubed.

AR "piston" systems have their own problems including more weight, carrier tilt and added expense.

By the way, the Stoner "direct impingement" system does have a piston. It's the bolt. Or the bolt carrier, depending on how you look at it

gb0399
July 15, 2010, 09:30 PM
Even if it ran cleaner which it doesnt, how many shots do you take when hunting? I've never taken more than two in a day.

rduckwor
July 15, 2010, 09:33 PM
The OP is looking for a hunting AND SHTF rifle. An FAL would be had to beat in a SHTF situation. They've definitely BTDT all over the world.

RMD

charcoalburner
July 15, 2010, 09:48 PM
Mistwolf what quirks are you referring to in the HK and what clones are u saying to stay away from?

Hatterasguy
July 15, 2010, 10:34 PM
How about a nice FN49...:D

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=530231

Al LaVodka
July 15, 2010, 10:38 PM
...one of these.
Al

Tallinar
July 15, 2010, 10:40 PM
Never heard of the need for a high cap "battle rifle" for deer before. Just so you know, the deer do not shoot back! :)

Yes, I read the shtf part, but the thread title just made me smile.

Tirod
July 15, 2010, 11:20 PM
I used a HK91 for decades, bought the my first one in 1975. It'll do the job - but MO required a blocked magazine and a max of 10 rounds. What does Wisconsin require?

Frankly, hunting with the HK stalking deer or walking 3-5 miles during the day with the magazine loaded to the half mark was strenuous enough. I was also in the Reserves at time and even with full battle rattle in the field, the AR was easier to carry.

The most I ever shot in one day was three rounds, but that's Southwest Missouri. I sold the HK and now use a lever action until the AR is finished. Most of the hunting here is at best 150 yard open shots, .308 is unnecessary.

The saying is take enough gun, implying one that's not too small - but too big a gun is just as bad.

July 15, 2010, 11:32 PM
As you have guessed I'm looking for a high capacity battle style deer rifle. I've been pondering this for months and I've narrowed it down to a Springfield M1A, DS Arms fal or a POF all of course chamberd in .308.

I have all three on your list but with your budget of $2,300, you could buy an excellent hunting rifle AND a SHTF semi-auto. You could buy an M1A Scout and a Savage Weather Warrior (both chambered in .308 Win) and have money to spare.

It's too bad that every gas piston thread brings out all the "experts" that don't own them, don't shoot them and certainly don't clean them.

:)

TIMC
July 15, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have been through the whole range. FAL, HK G3, PSL, SKS, M1A and AR-10.
The one that out shined them all is the AR-10. By far it is easier to maintain, there are far more accessories and it is easy to manouver in the field.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Hunting%20pics/pigswithar10.jpg?t=1279252389
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Hunting%20pics/December102007buckpic2.jpg?t=1279252437

husker
July 16, 2010, 01:14 AM
YUP nice pics & rifle

Fremmer
July 16, 2010, 02:12 AM
Consider a BAR. The Safari is a beautiful rifle. Even though there's less mag capacity, it is still a semi-auto, and it'll do a great job for hunting deer in the conditions you describe; I've always wanted a shorttrack in .243 Winchester for my woods gun (quick follow-up shots and pretty light). If you keep several mags, it would work if the SHTF, too.

Domino
July 16, 2010, 02:33 AM
The best option would be to go for a DSA FAL, AR-10 clone, or PTR-91 for a battle rifle. For a deer rifle a stainless steel bolt action like the Savage 16FHSS or the Marlin XS7S would be much more ideal due to lighter weight and increased accuracy. I wouldn't expect one to fill the others niche but if I could have only one than it would definately be the FAL.

Matt304
July 16, 2010, 02:42 AM
I'm with the AR10 guy!

trigga
July 16, 2010, 04:00 AM
the m1's are a great choice but are heavy for a hunting rifle, scoped that is. i was thinking about an m14 myself but after shooting my cousin's .308 cetme with 20 rounds loaded with a scope, the sucker was heavy! it feels the same weight as the full size m14. i'm from wi too and i use my ar15 in .223. i know it's not the best caliber for deer but a few relatives have been sucessful including myself using the caliber in the same platform. unless you don't mind the weight, an ar10 or m1 type will serve you well. dpms makes a few well priced ar10s i like. the deers in wisconsin i encounter while hunting are usually within 100 yards and realistically shot most within 50 yards.

USSR
July 16, 2010, 07:39 AM
Have to agree with 1858, with $2300 you can get a nice deer rifle and a battle rifle. Trying to have both in one rifle only leads to compromises.

Don

FLAvalanche
July 16, 2010, 09:47 AM
I have been through the whole range. FAL, HK G3, PSL, SKS, M1A and AR-10.
The one that out shined them all is the AR-10. By far it is easier to maintain, there are far more accessories and it is easy to manouver in the field.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Hunting%20pics/pigswithar10.jpg?t=1279252389
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Hunting%20pics/December102007buckpic2.jpg?t=1279252437
The one on your left is getting back up and taunting you by sticking out his tongue! SHOOT HIM AGAIN!

BRad704
July 16, 2010, 10:00 AM
Ar-10's are just damn sexy! Sorry TIMC, not you, but your rifle! :) I DO see the corner of a Jeep though... YJ?

And might I say that I hate you people and your 4-digit budgets! My first thought when I saw "Battle Deer Rifle" was an SKS with 4x scope on a scout mount.. but I see that I am in a different league... :(

TIMC
July 16, 2010, 10:38 AM
Ar-10's are just damn sexy! Sorry TIMC, not you, but your rifle! I DO see the corner of a Jeep though... YJ?

Awww come on; not even a little? :what:

Yes you are correct it is a 1992 YJ.

charcoalburner
July 16, 2010, 01:28 PM
TIMC,

What flavor of AR are u shooting?

Girodin
July 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
Honestly, any of the the usual suspects (FAL, M1a, G3, Saiga 308 AR10) will do what you want it to. A decent exemplar of any of them is up to hitting a deer in the vitals at 300 yards. I don't know how you hunt but here it requires a lot of walking and carrying a rather heavy m1a, FAL etc is going to get old. For $2300 you could buy a perfectly good bolt rifle and scope and still get a semi auto 308. Personally that is the route I would go unless it is just some thing where you want to hunt with a military style rifle. If that's the case any of them could be used so its more a matter of preferences and where you want to make trade offs IMO.

MistWolf
July 16, 2010, 04:54 PM
Charcoalburner- Mistwolf what quirks are you referring to in the HK and what clones are u saying to stay away from? I don't say stay away from clones, although any HK91 or CETME clone built by the Angry Beavers (Century Arms) is suspect until it proves itself. They have far too many QC issues to be trusted- something I can attest to from personal experience.

PTR makes a quality HK clone. Serial # with the "A" prefix means the rifle was made by PTR and are reliable.

"B" prefix means it was sold as a receiver only and built by an outside source. Some are of the very best quality, some you should just run from as quick as possible.

"AW" prefix are rifles of later manufacture by PTR. Chances are they use a barrel made by Thompson. These rifles are reliable only with certain types of ammunition as the chamber flutes are fewer and shallower than mil-spec. PTR will not guarantee the PTR-91 will function with any ammo than what they reccomend.

First of all, you have to realize the HK is very German.
Quirks: If you reload, it's hard on brass. Not just the flute marks left on the outside, but the HK is known to often dent the spent brass on ejection. It's also known for tossing your brass two or three zip codes away.

Ever heard of the "HK Slap"? You pull the charging handle all the way to the rear & lock it to hold the bolt open. Insert a fresh magazine and slap the little cocking handle to release the bolt and chamber the first round. It's really kinda cool. But since the rifle doesn't lock the bolt back with the last round, you have to flip out the charging handle which unlocks the bolt and haul it back yourself. It's awkward to use while the rifle is mounted to your shoulder.

Bolt gap is a critical setting. If the bolt gap is too small, the rifle will kick you harder than Missouri mule. As the rifle wears, the bolt gap shrinks. To reset it, you replace the rollers with oversized rollers. If the barrel is set wrong, you'll have a hard time setting the gap correctly. (Don't remember what the gap is supposed to be. The barrel being set & pinned in the wrong place is something the Angry Beaver clones are known for.)

There is a hump where the buttsock meets the receiver. It's at the perfect place to rest against your cheek as your peering through the sights. It's also at the perfect angle to give you a nice case of cheek slap if you're not careful.

When you remove the bolt group, it's easy for the bolt to retract in the carrier and rollers to pop out into the locked position. If you don't know the Secret Handshake to reset the bolt & rollers, you'll never get them back in the receiver.

It's European. The safety is hard to reach for most Americans because we're taught to carry long arms with the muzzle up. To reach the safety without removing your hand from the pistol grip, you need to tilt the muzzle down. (Same is also true for the Fal.)

It's a delayed blow back system. A straight blowback system has to use a heavy bolt group and strong springs compared to a gas system. A blowback system also does not lock the bolt to the action and begins to open as soon as the recoil overcomes the inertia of the bolt & spring pressure.

The HK system simply delays when the bolt starts opening. The roller locks hold the bolt in place while the recoil impulse shoves the bolt carrier to the rear. As the bolt carrier moves back, it lets the roller retract so the bolt can then begin to open. Very simple in operation, it's different than what most are used to and definitely quirky.

All rifles have their quirks. The HK roller locked rifles have some rather unique ones. I like HK roller locked rifles. They're reliable, accurate, and have a very unique Teutonic personality

zooski22
July 16, 2010, 08:30 PM
Does the ar-10 use the same buttstock and grip as the ar-15?

GunsBeerFreedom
July 16, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'll go a different route and say Saiga 308. Even after conversion, a nice high quality optic, and a few magazines, you'll have money left over for ammo (well, that depends on the optic you mount).

Dustin
July 16, 2010, 08:57 PM
M1 Garand mabey... do you really need more than 8 rounds?

Lloyd Smale
July 17, 2010, 07:14 AM
Problem with the ar10 and all the battle rifles that are large enough to handle 308 family rounds for deer hunting is there HEAVY. I used my 16inch ar10 last deer season and dragging it around got old. Next year i will take my 762x39 bushmaster ar15. Its about 2-3 lbs lighter. It is accurate and plent good enough for deer out to 200 yards. A 6.8 would be another good choise. If you want lighter weight and some more range check out a ar15 in 25wssm. Basicaly a 257 roberts in an ar.

jcollins1007
July 17, 2010, 09:04 AM
+1 on the Garand. Man up and use some iron sights and en-bloc clips. Kills Nazis, kills deer.

-v-
July 17, 2010, 11:36 AM
+1 on an AR-10. Its a bit on the heavy side, but its a solid rifle that gets the job done. a 16" gives you a range of ~800 meters before you go sub-sonic, as I recall.

As for DI ar's: The larger the calibur that the DI system is set up in, the better it works. I've yet to have a hiccup from mine, just make sure you slather it in oil.

hso
July 17, 2010, 11:46 AM
Runs cleaner and easier to maintain.

Do you have any experience with both systems to base this opinion on?

I and my friends have both systems. We find no problems with either for cleaning or maintenance. I own FAL, M14 and AR type rifles. The only ones used on game are the ARs. Since you are only interested in 300 yard and under shots any of the rifles will handle that, but the AR will be easiest to scope and easiest to carry.

yeti
July 17, 2010, 12:40 PM
very unique Teutonic personality

:D:what::D

I have never seen the HK 91 described better, it's like the spirit of my Granddad inhabits that thing. It's so obviously German, it does exactly what it is designed to do, but it does it in such a way that it always leaves you shaking your head and muttering about the "dang, crazy square heads." :banghead: There is the easy way, the right way, and the German/H und K way. :neener:

Agent Smith
July 17, 2010, 03:37 PM
This meets all your requirements.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179485149

D.M.C.
July 17, 2010, 06:26 PM
Have you considered one of these?

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/rfb.htm

The RFB has gotten pretty good reviews and it takes FN magazines. It's .308 and the weight and length advantages could match what you are looking for.

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/37281-2/RFB_ejection_7643.jpg

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/37287-2/george_kellgren_7972web.jpg

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/37278-2/zeroing_keltec_RFB_7663.jpg

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/37415-2/aiming_RFB_9281.jpg

Photos taken from Oleg Volk's Gallery

TrickyDick
July 19, 2010, 09:08 PM
A PSL is a cheap alternative. It's sturdy, and fairly accurate. No Sniper riflle, but a good DMR. Cheap ammo, and lots of fun. The 7.62x54R is a decent round to take down a deer

labotomi
July 20, 2010, 04:15 PM
I hunt with my FNAR and it would make an excellent battle rifle if you weren't on the move for too long as it weighs about 10lbs

They can be had for about $1250, 1moa accuracy.

Mags are pricey

Maverick223
July 20, 2010, 09:00 PM
I agree with D.M.C....the RFB is the perfect tool for the job. In fact I plan to do a little deer plinkin' with one myself; that is, if I can get my hands on one.

OTOH if you want a AR platform, then I would probably go with an AR-15 instead, cheaper, more available parts, practically universal parts fitment, smaller, and much lighter. All you need to do is buy/build one in a more suitable cartridge, something like a 6.5Grendel, 6.8SPC, .243WSSM, 25WSSM, .30HRT, or .30RAR (alternatively the .458SOCOM, .450Bushaster, or .50Beowulf could be used for closer range).

PAPACHUCK
July 21, 2010, 08:01 AM
Saiga .308

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/PAPACHUCK/DSCN0023-1-1.jpg

This will do the job for a less than a grand before glass/mount.

Fremmer
July 21, 2010, 12:17 PM
OK, but how much to these rifles weigh? 10 pounds, 11 or 12 with rings and scope? Those are going to be like anchors at the end of the day in the field. I wouldn't want to lug around something so heavy. JMHO.

zooski22
July 21, 2010, 04:39 PM
I've decided to forget about the whole piston rifle thing and go with the dpms chambered in 6.8 spc in 20 inch barrel this should be exactly what I need and I have the option of buying different caliber uppers as I see fit. I can order it just the way I want it add the scope and I'm good to go.

Maverick223
July 21, 2010, 04:44 PM
^ You left out the part about saving a chunk-o-change...despite my distaste for the 6.8SPC, I believe you made a good decision.

Sheepdog1968
July 21, 2010, 08:46 PM
Springfield M1A Scout squad or Socom 16 would be my choice. Add a five round mag if required and a receiver scope mount if you do not like the scout setup. To me it balances better than any AR platform.
My friend, who can shoot 1" or better at 100 yards with a bolt action, was not at all happy with the accuracy he got out of the SOCOM M1A. Based on his result, if you go that route, I'd suggest either the Scout or normal length barrel version.

Tirod
July 21, 2010, 09:30 PM
6.8 was optimized for the 14.5" military barrel, go 16", it's all you need, and you save weight. It'll shoot accurately past 450m if you have at least a 2X optic on it. It's a good deer caliber, albeit there's no plinking ammo, but what the heck, that's what a 5.56 upper is for.

Check the 6.8forums for all the help and feedback you need. Their most important recommendation is to get the SPC II chamber and four or five rifling in 11" or slower. It gives the best performance from the new loads like the 95gr Barnes.

I think it's a good choice, it's exactly what I'm building. I lugged that Hk around enough. and a bolt gun never gave me any deer, just recoil. Bolt guns with 3x9 scopes are ok for big country, broken farmlands and woods, not so much. Hunt deer like a bow hunter, you set up in sight of rubs, trails, saddles, crossing points, etc. Not 500 yards away.

rangerruck
July 21, 2010, 09:40 PM
you may consider a remmy 30ar as well; a true ar 15 platform, with all interchangeable parts-- but fires the 30 ar cartridge. Like a slowed down 308, and a tad bit lighter.

MTMilitiaman
July 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have ran around the woods and hiked all over with my M1A Loaded. I won't say I never noticed the weight in the field. I will say I've never minded it. The length bothers me more than the weight when I'm in the woods.

I'd go with an M1A Scout. The Stoner-philes can say what they want. The M1A does run cleaner and cooler, and while it may not be as easy to take apart for maintenance, requires far less of it. It has excellent iron sights, and you don't even have to pay $200 over the cost of the rifle for them. You can get the rifle with the Cluster Rail System from SA already installed, and the naysayers can't even claim their ARs are easier to scope.

The KelTec looks interesting. I will admit I am intrigued, but waiting till it develops a little more of a reputation, until I hold one, and until they have a quad rail system for it.

Quickstrike
July 22, 2010, 06:05 AM
I vote for the new SCAR17s for these reasons:

Light for a battle rifle
Reliable, a very vigorously tested product
no pain to add optics
very compact with the folding stock
ergonomic

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58311

JTH
July 22, 2010, 06:17 AM
If you need a semi auto with a large capacity magazine to hunt deer, maybe you need to be able to shoot better. Can you imagine if you fellow hunters see your deer with 5-10 bullet holes in your kill. You'd be a laughing stock!!!!!!!!!!!

oldfool
July 22, 2010, 08:09 AM
try to look at it as an update on the Henry lever action "load once, shoot all day"
now becomes, "load once, shoot for 6 or 7 deer seasons"
(and sort of gives all new meaning to "thinning the herd", you know)

as Albert might say, it's all relative

PS
I am a bolt & lever action guy myself
but Zumbo I ain't
know and obey the law and shoot what you shoot well

zooski22
July 22, 2010, 01:07 PM
I hunt northern Wisconsin, a target rich environment were you can get as many doe tags as you want. If I have a chance to shoot multiple deer I need an autoloader with multiple rounds.

Fremmer
July 22, 2010, 05:44 PM
Sometimes having a really quick follow up shot makes a difference. I've missed a shot in the brush, and had the deer stop at the same time I started racking the bolt, which then scared off the deer (it was pretty close). A semi would have helped.

Maverick223
July 22, 2010, 07:54 PM
If I have a chance to shoot multiple deer I need an autoloader with multiple rounds.I highly doubt that a SA rifle will make a bit of difference. They don't tend to stick around after the first shot has been fired.

kyjoe
July 22, 2010, 08:25 PM
Saiga .308. I converted it myself and took an 8 point buck with it last year at 90 yards with iron sights.

oldfool
July 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
I highly doubt that a SA rifle will make a bit of difference. They don't tend to stick around after the first shot has been fired.

yeah
"run like a wounded deer", don't even come close to
"run like an unwounded deer"

93LXRag
July 23, 2010, 07:02 AM
Hey TIMC, I like the way that scope looks on your AR-10. What kind is it? What kind of rings are you using? How is your eye relief?

I am looking for a scope for my LR-308 that will work from 100 to 600 yards and would appreciate your feedback on how you deciding on your combo.

Maverick223
July 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
"run like a wounded deer", don't even come close to
"run like an unwounded deer"Exactly!

LEVRLOVR
July 23, 2010, 01:16 PM
"High capacity battle style deer rifle"........for deer that shoot back. I 'spose.

Don't forget your web gear and kevlar.:)

Double Naught Spy
July 23, 2010, 02:47 PM
TIMC, I take it that you shot those two ugly does on the last day of the season just so you could fill out your tags?

MistWolf
July 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
I see a couple of "You don't need a hi cap rifle (insert your favorite reason here)" posts in this thread. That's how socialists think, not Americans.

I don't care if the Zooski22 needs a 20 round magazine for hunting deer or not. If he wants a 20 round magazine, he can choose to have one. Pick a 25 round magazine. 25 round magazines are available for the Remington semi autos sold as hunting rifles. 30 round magazines are available for the M14, Fal and H&K-91. I'll pick to carry a 30 round magazine to hunt with according to my wants, not needs defined by someone else.

I'll hunt with a 50 round magazine available for the P-90. I'll hunt with a 100 round Calico magazine if I so choose and to hell with what any socialist may think I need.

I don't care if there exists any justification in anyone's mind. If you wish to hunt with a flintlock because no one needs more than one shot, so be it and don't let anyone tell you that if you were a real hunter, you'd dress up in a deer hide and stalk your buck until you were close enough to cut it's throat with a flint knife you napped yourself.

Don't give me any of that crap about the legalities of magazine capacities while hunting in certain states. I already know that and as an ethical hunter I obey the law so that's not argument either.

There are practical reasons why a person would choose a 20 round magazine. You have a full box of ammo already in the weapon should you find your lost or take a tumble down a hill or get caught in bad weather.

Sure, if you can get separated from your rifle as easily as your back back with the extra box of ammo. But the odds are now in your favor if the rifle itself has the extra ammo. If you find yourself in an extreme case that you need to fire three shots to signal for help but cannot reload the weapon because of injuries, you have 6 salvos instead of just one. Sounds unlikely? So what? I don't need to justify hunting with a magazine that holds 20 rounds or more. All I, or anyone else has to do is want to.

Just as there is no reason not to defend hearth & home with your hunting rifle, there's no reason not to hunt with the rifle you defend hearth & home

July 23, 2010, 04:12 PM
My first centerfire is a Winchester 100 in 308. That was about 40 yrs ago. I have had several auto loaders but my favorite deer rifle was an '03. It has been replaced with a 77 Ruger in '06 of course. My second/third choice is an old 742 carbine length and it's brother a 7400-- both in '06. Those have a removable mags and can handle extended(hi cap) mags. To answer your first question-- they will serve you well for a deer rifle and tactical shooter--and for a whole lot less $$$s.

DaisyCutter
July 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
I've got an FAL. It's more rifle than I'd care to carry for hunting, weight wise.

My recommendation is to get the FAL, then buy a rifle dedicated to hunting.

You get more guns that way.

DaisyCutter
July 23, 2010, 07:55 PM
I've got an FAL. It's more rifle than I'd care to carry for hunting, weight wise.

My recommendation is to get the FAL, then buy a rifle dedicated to hunting.

You get more guns that way.

One could argue that two .308s are better than one.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL639/2678265/5348258/117924930.jpg

Maverick223
July 23, 2010, 08:52 PM
DaisyCutter welcome to THR! The edit button is on the right hand, bottom corner. :p

fletchbutt152
July 23, 2010, 09:51 PM
FNAR for sure. Winchester has one that is similar, much cheaper. Browning should modify their short tracs for box magazine. Come to think of it, not sure the Winny version takes box mags either.

That FN is quite fine though!

TexAg
July 24, 2010, 01:21 AM
I've got the Win version of the FNAR, it's the SX-AR. Cammo finish, a 10 round mag, bull barrel only and two fewer picatinny rails set it apart from the FN, but that's it. About $200 less too!

Sunray
July 24, 2010, 01:31 AM
You expecting a fire fight with Bambi? A lot of States don't allow 20 round mags for hunting either. Useless excess weight too. Not that a battle rifle is no good for hunting.

zooski22
July 24, 2010, 08:13 AM
If you would take the time to read my original post you would've read that this will be a duel purpose rifle. I need a shtf rifle that is more than capable of putting meat on the table. As far as my states hunting regulations I can hunt with as many rounds in the magazine that I can fit in it. As far as shooting bambis, I hunt public land if I didn't kill it someone else would there's more than enough for everyone. IF IT'S BROWN IT'S DOWN.

DaisyCutter
July 24, 2010, 11:35 AM
IF IT'S BROWN IT'S DOWN.

Firstly, the above could very easily be taken out of context (esp in Arizona). It struck me funny. Probably a good idea to remove that bumper sticker before you do much traveling (I know it's not on your bumper, it's a joke).

Secondly, you typed "high capcity battle style deer rifle" into the subject line. A reasonable person would expect some colorful responses.

Here's what I've noticed. My FAL isn't as precise as my Savage .308. With higher-end factory ammo, like Hornady Light Mag, I can decapitate a prarie dog at a couple hundred yards with the bolt action.

My FAL would undoubtedly kill a deer. Heck between it's caliber & volume of fire, it'll kill anything big enough to die.... including a mob of rabid zombie mulies. In a pinch, it would work for hunting. I'm sure I could put down a deer at 200-300 yards, but probably not with a clean textbook hit. (BTW, like you, I considered using it for hunting... until I felt how big it is. In southern AZ, you could end up facing a band of armed smugglers during a hunt.)

I headspaced my FAL so it would feed & fire .308 and 7.62X51 NATO. My Savage .308 doesn't like to fully close it's bolt on ~15% of the surplus FAL ammo. Note, another FAL may not like .308.

Back in the day, it was fun practicing with cheap (at the time) surplus ammo in the bolt action.

I've never hunted with my FAL. If I had to, I could carry it all day. I wouldn't want to. It's heavy! There are pokey bits that dig into my back.

I much prefer the 7 lb sleek & smooth, accurized bolt action for hunting. Heck, I'm a lefty... which is why I prefer the generally more "neutral" semi auto ergonomics. I still grab my right hand operation bolt action for hunting.

I prefer a tool optomized for the job. For the $2300 you mentioned, you can get a "fork" and a "spoon"... instead of trying to do it all with a "spork". I've only got $1300 invested into 2 the rifles in the picture above.

zooski22
July 24, 2010, 12:27 PM
I in fact already own a couple deer rifle including a savage .308 bolt action it was my first deer rifle and its definitely does the job I also own a Browning bar safari in 30-06 along with a couple mossberg 500's. I just wanted something that I could use in a worst case scenario and if I wanted could take out to the woods and take a deer hog ect. With the ar I can switch out the uppers go to the range for a day of fun without spending a small fortune. This will not be my primary hunting rifle.

oldfool
July 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
apologies to any who thought I was criticizing their choice of rifle
(I was not)
"runs like a deer" just being chat amongst friends, you know
basic black and pretty walnut both get it done
all natural venison = health food

my bottom line, as always, is
know and obey the law and shoot what you shoot well
(and always mind your backstop)

If you enjoyed reading about "high capcity battle style deer rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!