1917 EddyStone Enfield Barrel Needed!!

PDA

varmintsunlimited
July 16, 2010, 05:39 PM
All-

I just recently inherited a 1917 Eddystone Enfield that was sportorized at some point. The barrel is toast so I need your help to locate one. I have tried gunbroker, sarco, numrich, hoosier, etc. and haven't been able to track something down to put on this rifle. Since its a family gun I am highly motivated to getting this done. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "1917 EddyStone Enfield Barrel Needed!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
July 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
The barrel is toast

What is the reason that the barrel is "toast"?

Are you looking for an original barrel to return the rifle to it's military origin?

NCsmitty

varmintsunlimited
July 16, 2010, 08:53 PM
The barrel is pitted throughout and rusted heavily near the muzzle- I am looking for any source on new or used barrels so I can make the rifle shootable again.

351 WINCHESTER
July 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
There are at least 2 on gunbroker right now.

SlamFire1
July 16, 2010, 09:33 PM
The Citerion barrel available through the CMP is of military contour and is vastly better than any service rifle barrel made.

If you buy a take off, and it turns out to have excessive headspace, that condition is very expensive to fix.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=065CRI/1917&item=&sfv=&cat=BAR&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

NCsmitty
July 16, 2010, 10:11 PM
If you cannot find a replacement barrel, and if you just want to make it a shooter, a reputable gunsmith can thread a proper barrel blank and make the necessary cuts to fit, but it won't be cheap. And 1917 U.S. Enfield actions often do not give up their barrels easily.
I had a couple back in the day, one in 300 H&H Mag and one in '06. They were a rugged action.

NCsmitty

oldbanjo
July 16, 2010, 11:00 PM
Back when people were buying those rifles they did not know that they had to really clean the guns after shooting bullets with corrosive primers. I know a lot of people that ruined their barrels. I have a 3006cal, 1917 Enfield w/3x10 scope that I used to hunt with.

If you enjoyed reading about "1917 EddyStone Enfield Barrel Needed!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!