Pic of 1942 S&W "Victory" model........

PDA

MIL-DOT
July 17, 2010, 07:50 PM
I had to get a photo of this pistol to send to S&W for their history-checking process, and after all the help I've had from you guys with this,thought I'd pass along a photo. Assuming this works, here she is.......

If you enjoyed reading about "Pic of 1942 S&W "Victory" model........" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MIL-DOT
July 18, 2010, 07:08 PM
I gotta bump this up for Old Fuff, who's been very helpful with my knowledge of this pistol, and my other old M&P S&W. :)

SaxonPig
July 18, 2010, 07:44 PM
You may be disappointed in what you learn for your $50 investment. I also have a VM from 1942 and all the letter stated (back when it was $20) was that it was shipped to a military depot.

Old Fuff
July 18, 2010, 08:16 PM
You may be disappointed in what you learn for your $50 investment. I also have a VM from 1942 and all the letter stated (back when it was $20) was that it was shipped to a military depot.

Roy Jinks can only report what he finds in the records, and finding the right record in an old ledger that doesn't list the guns in order can be a major chore.

Early 1942 was just after Pearl harbor (Dec. 7, 1941). Things at S&W were in a firedrill mode. Given the conditions, we are lucky to learn much of anything.

In the case of the present revolver, if it went to a "military depot" we can safely presume it was the Navy. The other probable receiver would be the Defense Supply Corp. (DSC), or a police department or defense plant receiving a drop shipment from them.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines... :scrutiny:

MIL-DOT
July 19, 2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I was aware that the letter from S&W doesn't provide a huge amount of info, but supposedly it helps verify authenticity and enhances value, which is mostly what I'm looking for.
It's a cool pistol, and I like it OK, but I'm kinda thinking about future tradability with this one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pic of 1942 S&W "Victory" model........" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!