The Marlin 795 range gun.

PDA

emilianoksa
July 18, 2010, 09:48 PM
The last time I rented this, was six months ago. It showed signs of abuse, like all range guns do, and was failing to hold back the bolt on the last shot, but I enjoyed shooting it, and have been considering buying one ever since.

Yesterday, I used it again, and what an awful experience it was. It malfunctioned in every way conceivable - failute to feed, failure to eject, failure to fire - and the magazine was so loose in the well I had to hold it up with my supporting hand.

To my knowledge, the gun has probably been in use for the last three years. It could be much longer than that. I suspect that the magazine has never been changed during that time. I doubt even the spring has been changed.

It took me half an hour to discharge 30 shots, before I handed it back and reported it as a dangerous weapon. Each time I pulled the trigger, I had no idea what was going to happen.

Now I know a range gun is a range gun, but it rather put me off the 795. I know the gun has been abused. I always made sure the bolt was open before inserting the mag, but I imagine most users just jammed it in with the bolt closed - as I said, it doesn't hold back, so they probably didn't bother to lock it back.

However, I began to wonder whether the tube fed Mod 60 might not be a better bet over the long term. The 795 mag just didn't look that sturdy.

Do you think I'm overreacting here? I love the feel and balance of the little 795. But it is, after all, a derivative of the Mod 60, which is the best selling 22 of all time, and I'm beginning to think I'd be better with a tried and tested design.

Both these guns are as cheap as chips in the States, but twice, or almost three times the price here. For that reason, people think long and hard before buying a semiauto 22. They cost real money.

I'd appreciate your advice.

As I always do.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Marlin 795 range gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mals9
July 18, 2010, 10:06 PM
I can't help with the durability aspect of the 795 but it sure sounds like the range management is not taking care of it and is renting out a potentially dangerous weapon. I would have a talk with them and make sure they understand the issues you encountered.

Mals

OpelBlitz
July 19, 2010, 09:01 PM
I put a lot of rounds through my 795. I could reliably go through 600-700 rounds without any failures; it's usually just a result of a dirty gun that'd like to be cleaned. Once I put a bore snake through it, clean the bolt head... Good to go.

Also, what kind of ammunition? Even Marlin recommends against Remington-branded .22LR (Who wouldn't? That stuff's crap)

Flash!
July 19, 2010, 09:04 PM
I just bought a 795 a few weeks ago.... only been to the range once with it.... but I was really happy with its performance... no malfunctions and relatively accurate..... I am curious about it's durability though....the next several years will tell....

OpelBlitz
July 19, 2010, 09:06 PM
As an afterthought, I felt the stock was a bit flimsy and it demonstrated a very small amount of flex when using a loop-sling.

Runningman
July 19, 2010, 09:58 PM
My Marlin 795 is much more reliable than my Marlin model 60 go figure. Both seem to require a good cleaning often. I suspect the range gun needed a good cleaning at the very least.

OpelBlitz
July 19, 2010, 10:44 PM
I would agree with the above statement -- not totally relevant, but there is absolutely no reason I would take a tube magazine over a removable box magazine. That being said, the magazine catch on the 795 leave a lot to be desired. I wish it had drop-free magazines for even faster reloading (Yeah I'm biased towards Appleseed-type training)...

:)

gidaeon
July 20, 2010, 07:37 AM
There are a ton of users over at rimfirecentral. At least at American prices of $100 with rebate, I find these to be one of the best deals out there. They offer a few extra features and better out of box accuracy than some close competition that is a bit more money.

As stated they are ideal for a minimal investment Appleseed type gun alternative to 10/22. Mine features a GI sling and an aperture sight picture thanks to Tech Sights and it will long out shoot myself and those I share it with.

People who enjoy or appreciate a Marlin 60 will obviously enjoy these as well. I have both, with the dinky barrel of the 795 compared to older higher cap. nice wood stocked 60's, the 795 seems more "toyish" but still shoots as great at prices most can afford.

oh, and mine gobbles up Federal Bulk without any issues. Remington golden is bad in everything I try it in.

Davek1977
July 20, 2010, 07:53 AM
I have an old Ithaca Lighting (X5?) Semi-auto .22 that uses the same mags as the marlin semi autos. I have 2 7 round mags, one marlin, one orignal Ithaca. The gun has been used a lot, but still functions perfectly....even the mags....one of which at least as old as the gun itself (50 yrs?).... function as intended. I don't feel as though there is a problem with the durability of the mags in any way whatsoever, nor has years of inserting them on a closed bolt affected functioning. I also have a Marlin Model 60 which has given me no issues either. Then again, NONE of my guns have "issues" which may relate to the care they have been shown. Comparing a shot out range gun thats been abused to a new rifle isn't a fair comparison in any way. With a new gun, YOU have control of how its treated, which plays directly into the sort of reliability one can expect....

emilianoksa
July 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your responses.

GRIZ22
July 20, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have a 795 I bought about 2 years ago with at least 1000 rds through it with zero problems. I also clean it regularly which probably helps with the zero problems.

Tentwing
July 20, 2010, 07:17 PM
I own both, and It is hard for me to find fault with either one. The 795 is about as easy to use ( handy ) a little rifle as I've come across.

However my model 60 is going strong since 1974 when I recieved as a Christmas gift from my dad. It has recieved only cleaning as mantainence. Other than the white Pine stock being a little rough looking it is in great shape. It has easily burned through tens of thousands of rounds ( of whatever crappy 22lr ammo I chose to feed it. ) over the past 36 years. It has out lasted my youth and the youth of my two sons, and at this rate I don't think my grandsons are gonna kill it either.;) ( their still a few years away from it though)

It is hard for me to believe you would regret buying either rifle..........., Tentwing

grimjaw
July 20, 2010, 09:50 PM
I never had any issues of that sort with the Marlin 795 I owned. I cleaned the action once in about 1000 rounds. Sounds like the range has not only let it be treated like crap, but they've maintained it in the same fashion.

jm

If you enjoyed reading about "The Marlin 795 range gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!