savage floating bolt head question

PDA

taliv
July 18, 2010, 10:45 PM
is it ok to push a round into the chamber with your fingers and then close the bolt on it? or do you have to let the bolt/extractor snap around the rim before it's closed?

would the difference in the former/latter methods possibly result in different chamber pressures?

If you enjoyed reading about "savage floating bolt head question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
July 18, 2010, 11:57 PM
Being a push feed the case head will not be able to snap past the extractor till the shoulder "bottoms out" in the chamber. Every round you load will be fed this way unless you remove the bolt and actually fit a cartridge into the bolt head recess

which leaves me wondering

What rifle would it make a difference on????? Beyond possibly damaging a CRF extractor

Maverick223
July 19, 2010, 12:04 AM
What rifle would it make a difference on????? Beyond possibly damaging a CRF extractorThat's it, most Mauser actions and older M-70 actions wouldn't close on a chambered round. Barring that, it makes no difference.

:)

taliv
July 19, 2010, 12:12 AM
thanks for the sanity check. that was my understanding too, but didn't know if there was something magic about them

docsleepy
July 19, 2010, 01:15 AM
I've hand loaded over a thousand 223 and 6ppc rounds that way, one at a time to avoid ANY ding on the bullet. Savage 12FV receiver. Noproblems.

SwampWolf
July 22, 2010, 08:14 PM
Quoting from the manuals of my Ruger Model 77 and Model 77MKII bolt-action rifles: " To Single-load, place a cartridge directly into the chamber and close the bolt. If there are cartridges in the magazine and it is desired to single load a cartridge directly into the chamber, depress the top cartridge and push the bolt forward until the bolt face is well ahead of the rim of the top cartridge in the magazine. Then, close the bolt."

Quoting form the manual of my Savage Model 116 SE (serial number E963107 and above) bolt-action rifle: " To Load Chamber (as opposed to loading magazine through ejection port),...insert cartridge into chamber and close bolt while depressing cartridges in box magazine to allow bolt to close without picking up another cartridge from the magazine."

It is interesting to note that all three of the above model rifles are single-loaded in the same manner, whether they have Mauser-style extractors or not or whether they are "control-fed" or not.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Geno
July 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
My German Mauser and my Win M70 Featherweight both would close over an already chambered round. I haven't tried this with my M70 Super Grade or with my M70 Stealth. My understanding (can't recall where I read it) is does the rifle have a spring steel claw or machined from bar stock?

Geno

Maverick223
July 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
My understanding (can't recall where I read it) is does the rifle have a spring steel claw or machined from bar stock?I believe that it has more to do with whether or not the barrel is inlet for the extractor. Most older Mauser actions (and some new ones) did not, most modern rifles that are based upon the Mauser, like the M-70 were inlet for the extractor and thus will close on a chambered round.

Al Mack 1
July 23, 2010, 12:57 AM
Yes!

taliv
July 24, 2010, 03:17 PM
that's interesting. i thought the "control round feed" types would not be able to close the bolt on a chambered round. huh.

thanks for the answers

Maverick223
July 24, 2010, 04:13 PM
that's interesting. i thought the "control round feed" types would not be able to close the bolt on a chambered round.It seems that is becoming a thing of the past, still most CRF designs with "Mauser" in the name won't close (without modification), but that isn't always the case either.

JDGray
July 24, 2010, 04:21 PM
I single feed my 10FP .308 every time, no issues in 600rds. I just toss a cartridge on top of the follower, and push it home.

rcmodel
July 24, 2010, 04:27 PM
All model pre-64 70's would close on a round. Newer ones too I think.
Some military 98 Mausers will, and some won't.

Many if not most commmercial 98's will.
Many military 98's that were sporterized years ago will, because the gunsmith ground a little more taper on the front of extractor to allow it to climb over the case rim.

Large ring 98 Mauser barrels are not inlet for the extractor.
M24 Yugo's are.
G33-40's are not.
91, 93, 94, 95, & 96 Mausers are not.
03 Springfields & 1971 Enfields are.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "savage floating bolt head question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!