July 18, 2010, 10:49 PM
First time posting and I just wanted to get some clarification. I had a Virginia concealed carry permit but it expired three years ago (I know.....I know....). I want to renew it now but do I need to provide proof of proficiency again or is my expired permit all I need besides the application and payment? The reason I ask is that I have no idea where any of my firearms course completion certificates are and I really don't want to take another course just to get the paper.
Thanks (in advance) for clarification!
July 19, 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm guessing here.....
You can't renew an expired licence or permit.You have to get a new one so a copy of your certification would be needed.Time to start digging for that cert.
July 19, 2010, 04:55 PM
The real scoop, without guessing:
§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire:
1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.
Your permit was not revoked. It expired. Therefore a photocopy of your expired permit fulfills the requirement according to G.6 above.
Does nobody know how to use Google?
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.