Ednar scopes. are they junk?

PDA

husker
July 19, 2010, 08:27 PM
was going threw a box of my fathers things & found an Ednar 3X9X32
I think he had planned on setting it a top his mohawk600 & passed before he got around to it. Just my guess

If you enjoyed reading about "Ednar scopes. are they junk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dionysusigma
July 19, 2010, 10:53 PM
Never even heard of them. :confused:

husker
July 19, 2010, 11:09 PM
hahahahaha well that makes 2 of us
maybe i should just Google & see what happens
It looks like a fairly nice scope. It was wrapped in a couple hankies. No box

Maverick223
July 19, 2010, 11:55 PM
Never even heard of them.+1, and I have a self-diagnosed addiction to optics. My best guess is that it was popular before my time (if popular at all).

:)

husker
July 20, 2010, 12:09 AM
hmmmm /when i Google it? I get Edgar \
Weird!!
Being that i found it in a old box full of milling bits & 1 old rotary table. Im guessing he traded out some shop time on someones old steam loco for it. Any way i have a old scope to play with now. :-)

Maverick223
July 20, 2010, 12:13 AM
Sounds like a good candidate for a light recoiling rifle that sees limited service (rimfire?), that way you don't run the risk of damaging Dad's rifle scope.

husker
July 20, 2010, 12:21 AM
i found 1 on ebay with a bid of $7.99.
So now im think it was a XMAS present for me & my Cross man 760 pellet rifle. That he forgot about or forgot where he put it.
LOL that would put it around 1978-80
i have a new Savage 93-R in 17hmr I think it will look nice on it. :-)

Maverick223
July 20, 2010, 12:34 AM
i have a new Savage 93-R in 17hmr I think it will look nice on it.I say go for it, that sounds like a great use for it.

husker
July 20, 2010, 06:17 PM
Really? Not 1 peep has ever heard of Ednar scopes.
I thought for sure by the time i got home from work today at least 1 person would be?
Oh ya they were BLA BLA & YADA YADA.

theotherwaldo
July 20, 2010, 06:47 PM
I'd guess that you may have an older Edgar Brothers scope.

Here's the current Edgar Brothers (http://shootingsports.edgarbrothers.com/pages/Hunting.aspx) site.

They seem to get pretty good reviews.

(By the way, I like their new icon - looks like Rush Limbaugh's microphone... .)

theotherwaldo
July 20, 2010, 09:14 PM
I was wrong.

Ednar was a Japanese maker, active between 1987 and 1995. They were capable of good quality - Leica contracted some of their work to Ednar. The Dutch military also used Ednar binoculars for a while.

I can't find many reviews, but the few that I can find are very positive - for rimfire rifles.

husker
July 20, 2010, 10:47 PM
WOW!!! where did you find the info? & thanks. every time i goggled it. it came up Edgar

theotherwaldo
July 20, 2010, 11:00 PM
Would you believe that I searched patent and copyright data?

Hey, I'm a reference librarian. It's what I do for a living.

Maverick223
July 20, 2010, 11:14 PM
Would you believe that I searched patent and copyright data?Wow, Waldo! Way to go above and beyond the call of duty. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

husker
July 20, 2010, 11:30 PM
No doubt! way ta go!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ednar scopes. are they junk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!