What is sight radius worth (in group size)?

PDA

chrome_austex
July 19, 2010, 09:35 PM
I think I believe that sight radius is a significant factor in practical handgun accuracy, but I'm not sure if I know how to prove it with the math.

Rifles however, and I'm not convinced.

Does sight radius matter much in practical rifle accuracy? Lets say we're talking a carbine length AR-15 v.s. a rifle length one.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is sight radius worth (in group size)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
July 19, 2010, 09:45 PM
as someone who competes w/ both, i do not think sight radius to be significant.

Maverick223
July 19, 2010, 10:21 PM
IMO and IME sight radius is a big factor in putting rounds on target. I don't believe that there is any way to objectively put a number on the significance of the sight radius, but it makes a difference, at least it does for me. The longer the sight radius, the lesser the divergence from POA when they are slightly misaligned. Older rifles support this, as they often had longer barrel lengths to accommodate a greater distance between the sights, this led to more accurate fire when compared to shorter designs, so designers continued to favor long barrels. Today, with the prevalence of optics, this advantage has been made invalid and largely forgotten.

OTOH, a good set of sights can make up for a deficiency in sight radius, and can often exceed the precision of a poor set of sights with a long sight radius.

:)

hammerklavier
July 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
Without magnification, you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Maverick223
July 19, 2010, 11:36 PM
Without magnification, you reach a point of diminishing returns.I agree, that there is a point where you will see little benefit, or even some detriments factor in; however, I don't believe you have reached the point of diminishing returns in a "rifle length AR-15". Perhaps in a 32in. heavy barreled lever rifle, that is too heavy to tote and hold steady, but a 20in. rifle...not even close.

9mmepiphany
July 20, 2010, 12:19 AM
it has been proven, back in the late 70s-80s that sight radius is not the major determinate in accuracy in a combat handgun (the Russians proved it back in the 60s concerning target pistols)...it is all about trigger management.

what sight radius will do is magnify your sighting errors, the shorter sight radius hides aiming errors

NoAlibi
July 20, 2010, 02:37 AM
9mmepiphany:

"what sight radius will do is magnify your sighting errors, the shorter sight radius hides aiming errors"

Would you say that increasing the power of a scope would have the same effect (magnifying sighting errors AND is not the major determinate in accuracy) as increasing the sight radius?

unit91
July 20, 2010, 08:38 AM
Longer sight radius = smaller MOA sight. As stated above, there is a point at which a smaller MOA sight doesn't get you much due to other factors. Regarding handguns, if you think about the range at which you'd want to engage a target with a pistol, a sight radius greater than 5" or so probably doesn't get you much.

Maverick223
July 20, 2010, 11:16 AM
Would you say that increasing the power of a scope would have the same effect (magnifying sighting errors AND is not the major determinate in accuracy) as increasing the sight radius?I'm not 9mmepiphany, but I find that the major contributing factors WRT scopes is the quality of the glass (can I see my target), and the reticle (does it cover the entire target). The magnification plays a role, but I find that it is of far lesser importance than the above characteristics IMO.

ArmedBear
July 20, 2010, 11:18 AM
OTOH, a good set of sights can make up for a deficiency in sight radius, and can often exceed the precision of a poor set of sights with a long sight radius.

Exactly.

Standard open sights are **** for real accuracy, regardless of how "good" they are. But a top-notch peep with the right front sight can rival a scope's accuracy, until size and distance dictate that you need the scope to really see the target.

chrome_austex
July 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
ok thats about what I expected. I'm guessing alignment error with the rear sight might be worth up to 2 inches or so at 200y, (from some scratch paper calculations), but thats all I can figure.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is sight radius worth (in group size)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!