Has Swiss GP90 ever been available in the U.S. ?

PDA

mp5a3
July 20, 2010, 04:06 PM
I've heard it's 5.56 compatible with very good accuracy (match grade) Any idea about this ?

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ballistic_Gel_Experiments/BTAmmoLabsTest3/Test3.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Has Swiss GP90 ever been available in the U.S. ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hatterasguy
July 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
It pops up on gunbroker once in awhile, but its rare.

I don't know if it will work as well as it could with a 1:7 rifling, the Swiss use a different twist rate and tailor it to their barrels. Its probably the most accurite shot out of a 550.

I'm sure its excellent ammo, everything Swiss made is of the highest quality. IMI 5.56 is also extremly good quality ammo and surplus is pretty reasonable.

GunsBeerFreedom
July 20, 2010, 04:27 PM
everything Swiss made is of the highest quality

Not to completely derail this thread but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_AK53

Not what many would call quality. :)

Hatterasguy
July 20, 2010, 04:36 PM
Why it was an experimental rifle that was never issued? The Swiss really liked the AK operating system, just not its POS Russian build quality and lack of accuracy. (by Swiss standards)

What was wrong with the AK53? I'm not familer with them and have never seen one. How many did they make?

They have a history of taking other country's designs and making them their own, they also took the MG42 but didn't like the stamped parts, so they used machined parts to make the MG51.:D

GunsBeerFreedom
July 20, 2010, 04:49 PM
It actually had nothing to do with the AK as we know it, it merely shared the initials. It was a blow-forward operation rifle, a principle that barely works on paper, let alone real life. They tried it for a bit but found it unsuitable for combat, leading to the vastly superior stg 57.

Hatterasguy
July 21, 2010, 12:10 AM
Well every army experiments with different designs, and naturaly some are not so good.

But overall the Swiss have the best made service arms in the world, the saying that they use the "Rolex" of guns has been used many times.

The K11, K31, STG57, STG90, MG51, P210 etc are all of the highest possible quality.

GunsBeerFreedom
July 21, 2010, 12:34 AM
Of course they are. I'm just playing devils advocate here.

Hatterasguy
July 21, 2010, 12:37 AM
Sorry about that, I'm a huge fan of Swiss weapons. Everyone I have had has been so good I can't help it!:D

They all run like a Swiss watch!:cool::D

GunsBeerFreedom
July 21, 2010, 12:47 AM
Except the AK-53 of course ;).

Hatterasguy
July 21, 2010, 12:49 AM
LOL!:D

KW
July 21, 2010, 02:04 AM
I want to say that maybe 5-7 years ago there was a fairly large amount of GP90 that came into the US. It only lasted a few months and I haven't seen it in quantity since then.

Here's a link from a fragmentation test posted on AR15.com. (http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ballistic_Gel_Experiments/BTAmmoLabsTest3/Test3.htm)

If you enjoyed reading about "Has Swiss GP90 ever been available in the U.S. ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!