270 wsm semi custom build

PDA

ozhuntsman
July 21, 2010, 06:32 AM
i'm looking into building my next rifle rather than buying a factory made one. as i have already made up on caliber the .270wsm, so im not after advice on that side of things. what i am after, is tips/ recommendations on actions, triggers, barrels and stocks.

i was originally looking at either the:

Remington sps 700 varmint, i like everything about this rifle but it has frustratingly limited caliber options, and the stock doesn't get much praise from many shooters. AU$1250

Tikka t3 varmint: this is a good rifle but i don't like the look of the stock and i really want a 26" barrel and it only has a 24". the upside was that it comes in 270wsm which is the caliber i really want. AU$1400

as i will be spending well over $1000 on these i want it to be exactly what i want and am intending on spending more to get it. which is why im looking into building one from scratch.

this rifle will be used for anything from exploding rabbits at long ranges (a little twisted fun) to hunting trophy stags it's real intended purpose.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "270 wsm semi custom build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Uncle Mike
July 21, 2010, 07:34 AM
Stiller action(Predator or TAC), medium heavy barrel for the best of both target accuracy and portability, I like a Douglas barrel, however there are many excellent barrels available, caution the BIG names, as you will spend a percentage on the manufacturers name which doesn't do a thing for your efforts in the field.

For the 270WSM, a 26" tube, minimum, is a good choice.

If it's wood that turns you on, then a FINE wood stock will set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 to $800 and even higher BUT it will look, feel and most importantly fit you like it should...be sure to spec your stock for the scope you intend to use, any good stock maker will know to ask this as it is one, if not the most important aspect of a custom stock. And a professional bedding job that cannot be seen around the edges is benefit!

A nice synthetic stock in your choice of color or camouflage would be nice also. And, no, you do not have to have one of the big name synthetic stocks to reap benefits, there are excellent synthetic stocks out there priced so that you wont have to take a second mortgage out to buy!

About that Stiller action, if that is over budget, a blueprinted Remington 700 or better yet a Savage Target action would suffice.

Your in the right area with the "well over a $1000" statement, as just a barrel and action alone will set you back that much in the U.S. sans the stock and ANY smith work and that contains a lesser expensive action and budget barrel!

To keep your costs down, a used Remington 700 action or a new Savage Target action 'should' be able to follow you home for $500 or even a few bucks less!

And then there is the scope, bases and rings...the wallet gets thinner!

Good luck with it!

kludge
July 21, 2010, 09:15 AM
What about a Savage in .270 WSM? 24" barrel, but comes blue or stainless and you can get accustock and accutrigger? Option of hinged floorplate or box magazine. You spend about US$650, and leave you money for some decent glass. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

Or, as mentioned, if you like you can start off buying a Savage action and get the barrel made to your specs. If you don't like the barrel nut, McGowen will machine your barrel to eliminate it if you desire. Send them your action and they will put it all together for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "270 wsm semi custom build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!