.17 HMR or .22 mag

PDA

acmax95
July 21, 2010, 10:25 AM
I am looking for a bolt action .22 MAG or .17 HMR for small game hunting. What round would you recommend? I already have a .22LR and was wanting something with a little more power.

Also any recomendations on rifles in the under $400 range?

If you enjoyed reading about ".17 HMR or .22 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mjyeagle
July 21, 2010, 10:32 AM
go for the 17 check out savage model 93r17 dont know how much it costs but i love mine very accurate 100 yds or less the only problem is it not made in the usa(canada)

22/17 SHOOTER
July 21, 2010, 11:47 AM
17HMR hands down.
I have rifles in both calibers, i shoot them side by side, there is no doubt in my mind, the 17HMR is the ticket. Super flat trajectory, pin point accuracy, my Savage is shooting .750 dia. groups at 100 yards.
But i do not like the Accu Trigger. It's a matter of taste i guess, some people like it, some don't.
I tried the Marlin model 917 el cheapo rifle in 17HMR and i like it even better than Savage. The store price here in NE Ohio is $248.00, plus scope, so $400.00 should cover it easy with some $ left for ammo.
Go with the 17,
Cezar.

HGUNHNTR
July 21, 2010, 11:56 AM
They fill the same niche. Differences in accuracy are relatively insignificant for a hunting rifle. Paper shooters prefer the .17. No difference in price. The .22 mag offers heavier bullets, the .17 lighter faster loadings. The .17 is in vogue for sure, but the .22wmr would be a fine choice for small game also.

winknplink
July 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
+1 for the 17 HMR overall, but, the 22 mag will be the better "game" killer within the first 100 yards. Heavier bullet, more power and it seems to do less damage than the 17 HMR, which is good for game. Whereas inside that same range, the HMR tends to do much more damage, which makes it the better "varmint" rifle...IMO.

small game within 150 yards = 22 mag

varmints/targets from here out to 300 yards = 17 HMR

TonyAngel
July 21, 2010, 12:13 PM
I too have had both and each has it's advantages. The .22 mag is a bigger, heavier bullet and is less affected by the wind. The .17 is a light faster bullet, with a flatter trajectory, but is more affected by the wind. As a practical matter, if you are just punching holes in paper, I'd go with the .17. If you are hunting, I'd go for the .22.

A and O
July 21, 2010, 01:05 PM
17 hmr hands down. I have the Marlin 917 elcheapo with a sweet 17 on it and and can shoot gnats off of flies with it at 100yds. Well sorta like that.

viking499
July 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
+1 with what TonyAngel said......

I was looking at getting a 17 awhile back, but with some of the new 22 mag ammo that is out now, I just put mine on a new diet and it really has done well. Have no desire for a 17 now. If I was starting from scratch, I would probably still go with the mag over the hmr.

CraigC
July 21, 2010, 02:04 PM
For edible small game, neither. For varmints and smaller predators, it depends. The .22Mag is more effective on game within its range of around 150yds. The .17HMR tends to be much more accurate and is plenty effective to 250yds and beyond. Contrary to popular belief, the .17 has less wind drift.

TonyAngel
July 21, 2010, 02:59 PM
The .17 has less wind drift? That wasn't my experience at all, and I was only shooting to 100 yards. May have been the ammo I was using.

Pulsar
July 21, 2010, 05:18 PM
go with the 17 HMR
i have both and the 17 goes hunting alot more than my 22mags

marlin 917, and savage 93r17 cant go wrong with either

TexasPatriot.308
July 21, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have both and currently my Savage 93 .17hmr comes out of the safe more often. I have killed some big pigs with it, internal damage was unbelievable. 100 yard shot on a #200 sow behind the ear dropped her in her tracks.

non2os13
July 21, 2010, 06:46 PM
i was looking for a pest control rimfire 2 years ago. i ended up going with the 17hmr. i love the gun. i have shot crows out at 250 yards and it usually ends up being a 1 hit mess.

gbran
July 21, 2010, 06:52 PM
I have both. The 17hmr has a much flatter trajectory and is a joy to shoot, but I often just break out one of my .223's for which I reload.

rangerruck
July 21, 2010, 09:43 PM
the hmr, zero'ed at 100 yds, will only drop 7 inches at 200 yds, with half the windrift of the 22 mag. that is really all you need to know.
For a rifle, it is really hard to get a non accurate hmr, but for 400 bucks or less, I would do a cz or the maxed out Savage.

Buzzard
July 21, 2010, 09:53 PM
.17HMR has a higher velocity, a longer range and a much flatter trajectory. It does, however, drift a bit in the wind because the bullet weighs a mere 17 grains. The nice part is you can use rapid-expanding varmint bullets in the .22WMR for pests, and HPs or solids for hunting. Can't do that with the .17HMR as it only comes with the blow-'em-up bullets.

As for a rifle... Savage 93. Comes in both calibers, has an Accutrigger, will shoot lovely groups, and won't break your wallet. The 93FSS in .22WMR is around $270, same goes for the 93R17 FSS. Aside from the caliber difference, the .17 will need a scope as it doesn't come with open sights.

Tentwing
July 21, 2010, 10:04 PM
Same as many of the posters so far I too own both, and like both of them. The 17HMR makes it to the woods more often though. It is surprising what that tiny bullet can do.

It will nearly vaporize a squirrels head at 100 yards, and you can see the impact through the scope cause there is no kick. Also if a Coyote interupts your squirrel hunt?? ......Well his head did not fair much better. :rolleyes: It will also drop a Yote if you hit him in the boiler room.

I still like them both though, so I imagine my post was no help to you ,.....sorry:o...Tentwing

A and O
July 21, 2010, 10:05 PM
And the scope that does not break the budget is the Sweet17 or for the 22 the Sweet22.

rodensouth
July 21, 2010, 10:07 PM
The 17 can use cci 20 grain "game bullets" which do hold together well.

The 17 drifts less.

TexasPatriot.308
July 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
the 20 grain game points do some really hellacious damage to the innerds of a big hog if you hit him right, like I stated before, massive internal damage, I have seen lungs, heart completely blown up. I aint seen the .22 mag do this.

CraigC
July 22, 2010, 12:47 AM
Can't do that with the .17HMR as it only comes with the blow-'em-up bullets.
Not really. The XTP holds together and works well on the bigger stuff. Haven't had a coyote tote one off yet!

oldfool
July 22, 2010, 07:22 AM
another vote here for -
22 WMR for hunting
17 HMR for tight groups

there is enough overlap, though, that it is not night vs. day
on tree rats <75 yards, the old standby 22LR will do "better" than either
and on yote size, any of the 20-something centerfires have advantages

Davek1977
July 22, 2010, 07:29 AM
Not really. The XTP holds together and works well on the bigger stuff. Haven't had a coyote tote one off yet!

CCI alos produces a .17 HMR fmj round, correct? Or has it been discontinued? II'm a fan of thre .17 myself, owning a Marlin 917VSF. I've shot groups I thought were previously impossible at my skill level with this gun, and although I haven't gotten that far yet, I've heard a Rifle Basix trigger makes it that much better of a gun.

oldfool
July 22, 2010, 08:55 AM
various brand flavors come in 20 grain solid points, 17 grain hollow points, and 17 grain poly-V
there is no predicting in advance which round you will print with best, at 50 yards, nor 100 yards, not even if your buddy shoots same make/model rifle, you have to shoot your own to find out
mine likes the TNT 17 grain at 50-75 yards, 20 gr solids at longer, is not real fond of the poly-V

the after market triggers do not make the gun any more accurate, they can make a difference for the shooter... doesn't hurt to throw a bunch of rounds downrange before presuming advantage, the Savage accu-trigger works well enough for me, not for all

RainDodger
July 22, 2010, 12:45 PM
I found that my Savage is really particular about ammo, but once I got that sorted out, I'm printing about .7" groups at 100 yards when the conditions are right. Mine seems to like the Hornady 20 grain XTPs and I get out to 1.5" groups if I stray to the 17 grain bullets.

Other than finding the ammo you shoot the best with, I've found the .17 to be a lot of fun, and I'm one that likes the AccuTrigger. I think it's just going to be whatever you like the best!

edit: the scope is a $109 Simmons 6.5-20X "Whitetail Classic", from Midway. First non-Leupold I've had in years. Seems ok.

Savage 93R17 BTVS:

http://www.hotelling.com/93r.jpg

rangerruck
July 22, 2010, 01:46 PM
I have seen some autopsy pics of a hog hit with a 17 hmr, using a 20
grainer game point; entrance, hole through the ribs, tops of lungs, heart, turned to cottage cheese, exit hole through ribs, bullet frag inside far side of skin.
I know another dude who is a sherriff deputy in a nearby county who uses the 17 for culling varmint game. He told me he vaporizes a yote about every other day, and the longest dead right there shot he took on one,
was 165 yards.

clone
July 22, 2010, 02:40 PM
This thread sounds a lot like the bait shop I frequent. :rolleyes:

porscheboy
July 22, 2010, 02:41 PM
.17hmr

oldfool
July 22, 2010, 04:23 PM
RainDodger
yup
they say there is no inherently accurate cartridge, but in my book, the hummer is about as close as it gets
about as much fun as an old fat man can still have sitting down (without a S&W k-frame revolver or Colt 380 in hand, standing up)

reason enough, whether you hunt or don't

I own the same Savage rifle by the way, with a real similar non-elite class Bushnell on it, about same price, no bi-pods, two small sandbags under the fore stock and careful slow breathing is as good as it will ever get for me

(would love to see what it really could do with a real rifleman behind the trigger, but too embarrassed to ask the one guy at our little local range who shoots some real nice 308s and an Annie hummer, to really find out)

plain spooky for a $400 rifle with ~20 cents per round of non-handload ammo

PS to Clone
guys like rangerruck ain't talking baitshop talk
read his other posts
he is real well accustomed to putting them where they count
guys like me prefer 22WMR and 20-something centerfire for larger than tree rats
YMMV

Buzzard
July 22, 2010, 04:59 PM

Haven't seen any XTPs around here in .17HMR; hell I didn't even know they made one. The LGS, big box shops, and Wally World only carry CCI TNT and Hornady V-max. Probably explains why the guys at the gun shop were talking about ordering ammo online: you can't find much diversity of hot rimfire ammo around here.

Still, I'll keep my .22 Mag. It does what I need and then some :cool:

gdcpony
July 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
I like the flat shooting 17. For a rifle, I would go Marlin as I have had nothing but good luck with them.

oldfool
July 22, 2010, 05:16 PM
Buzzard,
it's a little bit like 9mm, you know
"it's not your grand-father's Oldsmobile"

my old boat '88 455-V8 was not, nor was my buddy's Cutlass..
(and I do miss 'Old Blue')

it ain't your grand-daddy's 9 mm no more. and it ain't your grand-daddy's 22WMR either
real improvements do come s-l-o-w, but they do come
(dunno if the 22 WMR poly-Vs are, or are not what is claimed, but it ain't like they ain't trying, and 22WMR does more than it did way-back-when, and always could do more than credited for)

Shadowdancer
July 22, 2010, 05:29 PM
Please pardon my ignorance... but why not use the 22 Hornet?

oldfool
July 22, 2010, 05:34 PM
ain't no "why not" reason
(just did not happen be the question)

ECVMatt
July 22, 2010, 06:04 PM
I have both and love them both. I have found that the .17 is marginal on bigger varmints like large raccoons and marmots. It kills them, but not as fast as the .22 mag. The .17 is better at exploding small varmints while out for general pesting in desert. My .17 is insanely accurate and extremely fun to shoot. I know that some folks have taken pigs and such with the .17, but I would not try that based on my experience. I have to say get them both, but I know that is not an option for most folks. I would say for pure fun, the .17 wins hands down, for shooting bigger things go with the .22 mag.

Have fun either way!

Matt

Maverick223
July 22, 2010, 08:51 PM
the hmr, zero'ed at 100 yds, will only drop 7 inches at 200 yds, with half the windrift of the 22 mag. that is really all you need to know.That is true for small game, but for larger pests within a shorter range I would go with the .22Mag. That said, for anything that I would be inclined to reach for a rimfire to dispatch, the .17HMR is more than sufficient; they make centerfires for anything else.

As far as the rifle, I really want one of the new Savage 93R17-TRs (or perhaps the TRR, haven't decided yet), though they are a little out of your budget (MSRP is set at about $475.00). Any of the heavy bbl Savages will group pretty darn good though, I just like the TR/TRR stock.

:)

TexasPatriot.308
July 22, 2010, 10:34 PM
why not use the .22 hornet, I love this round, got one, BUT you ever check out the price of ammo for this round, (factory loads). plus the availability.

TexasPatriot.308
July 22, 2010, 10:39 PM
my cow pastures are overrun with hogs, all sizes and it is so much cheaper to use a .17hmr, sometimes I drop em in their tracks, if they run they are gonna die in the brush, so what, I got so many tearing up my pastures I cant bale hay. just another dead pig sooner or later, it is so much cheaper than using my .308,7-08, or 6.5 Swede. same result sooner or later and my Savage 93 with a Simmons 5 x 20 x 50 cheapo scope does the job, saves me money for cow feed.:evil:

ECVMatt
July 23, 2010, 12:24 AM
Alright TxPatriot, your the Man! I agree that the pigs in TX are out of control and you can go broke trying to kill them all with a centerfire. I would love to shoot hogs with a .17 just to prove to myself that it works and be forced to eat my hat. I am jelous about your hog shooting, but sorry for your plight. We kill hogs up around Telephone and the corn farmers want to pay us for our time. Maybe I need a different perspective on the .17.

CraigC
July 23, 2010, 12:28 AM
Because .17HMR rifles are less expensive and typically more accurate. I don't know where you can get a $300 Hornet that will shoot half-MOA. Factory ammo is insanely priced and unlike some, I actually value my time so $13/box without sitting at the loading bench is okay with me.

oldfool
July 23, 2010, 09:02 AM
for pig "pest control", the 22 WMR should do at least as well
but, then, again, the new poly-V WMRs do tend to be a tad pricier than 17HMR, whilst the solid WMRs tend to be a tad cheaper, leastways on-line

hmmm.... getting paid bounty to "hunt" pigs, talk about a good deal !
gosh I sometimes do miss Texas

winknplink
July 24, 2010, 10:52 AM
As far as the rifle, I really want one of the new Savage 93R17-TRs (or perhaps the TRR, haven't decided yet), though they are a little out of your budget (MSRP is set at about $475.00). Any of the heavy bbl Savages will group pretty darn good though, I just like the TR/TRR stock.

Whittaker's has the TR for $389...That's where I got mine.

Blue Monster
July 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
Please go with .17, too many folks using that terrible, wimpy, inaccurate .22 mag and ammo is always hard too find...

.22 mag is my favorite critter slapper, I have been shooting this one for 15 years. This is just it latest "outfit". Sub MOA at 100 all day.

When shooting tree rats just hit them in the head as you should with any round. Beside the little sock puppets are fun to scare you wife with.

Stone cold killer :evil:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r61/bluemonster2003/100_0337.jpg

Maverick223
July 24, 2010, 12:51 PM
Whittaker's has the TR for $389...That's where I got mine.Thanks, winknplink, I will have to look into that.

acmax95
July 25, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up going with the Marlin 982VS in 22 mag. I handled a lot of guns and this one just felt right. I intend to use this more for hunting than just target shooting but it will see plenty of range time. Plus there is little difference in ammo cost around here.

Although I will probably end with a .17 in the near future anyway.

gbran
July 25, 2010, 12:24 PM
Here's my 93FVSS with Weaver V16.

It's been a really good shooter.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/93FVSS.jpg

Bottom Gun
July 25, 2010, 07:51 PM
My shooting buddy and I had this discussion and set out to test them. He shoots the .17 and I have a couple of .22 mags.
His .17 is flatter shooting, but the .22 mag hits much harder, especially at longer range.

My choice would be the .22 mag. There is a larger bullet selection and you can shoot from 30 to 50 gr projectiles.

My Anschutz 141M .22 mag will shoot MOA with most ammo but they aren’t cheap or easy to find.

However, my other rifle, a Marlin 882SS, is probably one of the best values out there. It’s a stainless .22 mag with composite stock, detachable magazine and comes standard with Williams Fire Sights. The trigger is decent and so is accuracy. I paid $189 for it at Walmart a few years back. If you don’t want to spend a few hundred dollars, try one of these Marlins. They are great general purpose rifles for the money and you’ll love the Fire Sights if you decide not to scope it.

NWCP
July 25, 2010, 08:05 PM
I like both rounds and hunt with either one depending on the animal and range I'm shooting. As for the 17HMR vaporizing a coyote at 165 yards... that may be a bit of a stretch. I'd use a .22WMR on coyote when under 100 yards, but the 17 is a bit too light IMHO. The 17HMR is devastating when up against ground squirrel, and similar sized varmint out to 150 yards. My rifle prefers the 17 grain ballistic tip. I'm glad to have both calibers available in my gun safe for hunting small game and varmint. They both have their place. The new ballistic tip .22WMR ammo has breathed new life into my rifles as well giving me a flatter, longer shooting rimfire magnum. The 17 still outdistances it and is more accurate, but the new round is a big improvement over the older deigns. Life is good.

rangerruck
July 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
Acmax; don't sweat it too much; while I prefer the 17, we are really talking
about small diffs here, and besides, Marlin has made the best entry level 22 mags for years in my opinion. Very few can compete with it for under 400 bucks. Youwould have to go old school brno or cz, or a old h/r or even a Kodiak if you could find one. So good choice, and kudos to you sir.
I await your first group pics, and also your first varmint pics with it.

Grey Morel
July 25, 2010, 10:02 PM
I like both. They are like different size screw drivers.

I use .22LR for the bulk of hunting, but the 22 magnum and 17HMR play there part in my battery as well.

The 22 magnum is the ticket for close to medium shots on the larger items like large raccoons, fox, or coyotes.

The 17HMR is the pill i choose for longer shots on animals up to the size of ground hogs, as well as for crows - the small light frangible bullet is what I need for something large yet lightbodied. These pills also shed there energy far quicker should I miss.

flatpicker9972
August 12, 2010, 07:49 PM
I am looking for a bolt action .22 MAG or .17 HMR for small game hunting. What round would you recommend? I already have a .22LR and was wanting something with a little more power.

Also any recomendations on rifles in the under $400 range?
Go with the 17 HMR. It destroys anything it hits. I like the Horady 17 HMR bullets
2550 fps at the muzzle. Butt kicking fast.
Jerry

flatpicker9972
August 12, 2010, 07:52 PM
I found that my Savage is really particular about ammo, but once I got that sorted out, I'm printing about .7" groups at 100 yards when the conditions are right. Mine seems to like the Hornady 20 grain XTPs and I get out to 1.5" groups if I stray to the 17 grain bullets.

Other than finding the ammo you shoot the best with, I've found the .17 to be a lot of fun, and I'm one that likes the AccuTrigger. I think it's just going to be whatever you like the best!

edit: the scope is a $109 Simmons 6.5-20X "Whitetail Classic", from Midway. First non-Leupold I've had in years. Seems ok.

Savage 93R17 BTVS:

http://www.hotelling.com/93r.jpg
What ammo are you using in your 17? I use the Hornady 17 HMR 2550 ftps.

rangerruck
August 13, 2010, 10:35 AM
Above guy is onto something; Savage seems to make the most exotic benchrester type for under 400 bucks, and also the best field beater, with the synth stock and pencil bbl if you can find it-- but on those, you need to do a fakey bedding job, so the stock doesn't flex around on you, around the action/reciever area. And the savages do tend to like the 20 grainers.
If you can find a cz for 400 bucks or less, if 400 is your limit, then I would go cz every time. Otherwise, the marlins are absolutely fine, and will not let you down, quite accurate, for around 200 bucks.

williamedward
August 13, 2010, 11:35 AM
I went with the .17HMR in a Marlin 917VSF. I'm really happy with the rifle and cartridge for what I use it for which is mainly target shooting and gophers/prairie dogs. It seems to be very accurate especially for longer range. My dad and friend both went with the Savage which is basically the same gun with a much better trigger. I may swap out my factory trigger to a Rifle Basix but so far I'm just as good as them for practical hunting. If you go for the .22WMR you have a little more power but IMO you loose a bit in the accuracy and wind drift department at longer rimfire ranges. It is a common misconception that small light projectiles are more affected by wind drift. The faster a projectile is going the less it will move in a crosswind. They all move but the less time it spends being affected by wind the less it moves although there are other factors such as bullet design. Either way you just learn the cartridge. Best thing to do is always buy the rifle/cartridge you prefer and understand its characteristics.

Maverick223
August 13, 2010, 11:43 AM
It is a common misconception that small light projectiles are more affected by wind drift.Not really; there must be a fine balance between weight/length (actually the ballistic coefficient) and velocity. Honestly the BC is typically the most important factor, but neither the .22WMR or .17HMR have a great BC so the velocity is the key in this instance.

RainDodger
August 13, 2010, 12:23 PM
For flatpicker9972 - in the pictured rifle, I've had the best luck with the Hornady 20 grain XTPs. My rifle doesn't seem to like the 17 grain bullets very much. With the 20 grain, I was getting about .7" groups at 100 yards. Overlapping holes at 50yards....

Vern Humphrey
August 13, 2010, 04:45 PM
For edible small game, neither.

Correct -- I used my .22 Mag once on squirrels years ago, and it literally blew them in half.

For varmints and smaller predators, it depends. The .22Mag is more effective on game within its range of around 150yds. The .17HMR tends to be much more accurate and is plenty effective to 250yds and beyond. Contrary to popular belief, the .17 has less wind drift.

Again, correct. For ground squirrels at long range, I'd go with the .17 HMR. For woodchucks and coyotes, it would be the .22 Mag, although I'd be limiting my shots to around 150 yards or less.

My real choice, though, for a mild, cheap-to-shoot varmiter is the .22 Hornet and a set of Lee Collet Dies.

rcmodel
August 13, 2010, 04:50 PM
Using .22 WRF ammo in a .22 mag makes it into a great small game gun if that's what you got.

Ballistics are about like a .22 LR.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=75601

rc

TheMichiganGunKid
August 13, 2010, 07:05 PM
Well i got a dilema im trying to choose between a Savage 17 HMR or a 4 10 single shot shotgun. The 17's got far more range and where we hunt thats a good gun but on the other hand the 4 10 gots a bigger chance of hitting something. Can anyone help me out with this one?

oldfool
August 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
^^^^^^^^
I sure wish more people these days appreciated the 410

but it is a mostly for running rabbit gun at 15-25 yards (the ultimate wunning wabbit gun), or jumping squirrel gun at same w/ #6 shot (and far better than credited at busting thrown clays at the same distances as the larger gauges bust 'em, you just have to be on target instead of near target)

but the 17HMR can do "not running/jumping" on small game at 100-150 yards
(as can 22WMR of course), and do to fox, coon, even yote size, what #6 shot will not

got to decide what you do most, where and how

PS
if you were here, instead of there, would happily loan you a real nice old Savage 410 pumper and/or not-prestige but really nice 410 O/U for wabbit, and you wouldn't need to worry about it, could just get yourself a hummer for the other

Jeff F
August 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
Having shot and hunted with both if I was going to eat what I was shooting I'd take the .22. The .17 will work if you only make head shots on small game otherwise it will turn them inside out. I have seen a rabbit explode into mist after being hit with a .17 about 90 yards out.

oldfool
August 13, 2010, 07:47 PM
yup, 22 LR will do for brer wabbit, WMR not req'd..
but either the WMR or 17 hummer will reach out and put 'em on the dinner plate, w/ no meat damage on them head shots, and wabbits do tend to set in one place longer than a prudent wabbit ought on out there at 50-150 yards

LoonWulf
August 13, 2010, 09:10 PM
im shooting a 93r17 myself right now, and so far its been working great for me. I have noticed tho that it likes to be kept cleaner then my .22 and .22mag (both semis and neither of which gets cleaned till they start having issues). My 17m2 is the same was and the hmr

oldfool
August 13, 2010, 10:57 PM
Using .22 WRF ammo in a .22 mag makes it into a great small game gun if that's what you got.

Ballistics are about like a .22 LR.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=75601

rc
shucks, I thunk nobody shot 22 WRF anymore, except me

makes for some little bit cheaper range fodder in a S&W 48 k-frame than WMR, and any extra round count in that one, bang for buck, worth having "on the "cheap" (about half of WMR prices), local hardware store stocks it up regular, maybe cause I keep 'em out of stock pretty regular

but I never have yet run thru a box of 50 without ~10% misfires on 1st hit, half of which never do go bang

never happens w/ WMR, but still worth it for the extra rounds sent downrange
never did hunt with it though

TexasPatriot.308
August 13, 2010, 11:20 PM
why debate? clearly a matter a choice, line an ######## everybodys got one. this could debate forever, get a life...:evil:

Vern Humphrey
August 22, 2010, 04:31 PM
Well i got a dilema im trying to choose between a Savage 17 HMR or a 4 10 single shot shotgun. The 17's got far more range and where we hunt thats a good gun but on the other hand the 4 10 gots a bigger chance of hitting something. Can anyone help me out with this one?
What are you hunting?

If it's squirrels or rabbits, it's the .410, hands-down. The .17 HMR is too much gun for small, edible game mostly shot at short ranges. The .22 LR is also ideal for such small game.

On the other hand, if it's woodchucks, ground squirrels and other varmits, they are usually shot well beyond the .410s effective range, and you don't plan on eating them, anyway.

elorenzo
August 22, 2010, 04:58 PM
I have both in mode 93 savage paid 265 dollars each but I prefer the 22 mag we shoot at prairie dogs and while the 17 has a flatter trajectoy it is too easily affected by wind both guns will do great out to about 100 yards but when they get there the 22 mag really shines with bigger and more solid hits

Just my pinion

ctaylor
August 22, 2010, 06:03 PM
I've shot both cartridges a bunch. Like a lot of others have said, they are different beasts entirely. I finally dumped my last 22WMR rifle. I just couldn't find a use for it beyond shooting at cans. I found the 22WMR to be inherently inaccurate and more gun than needed on squirrels and such, not enough on ground hogs or coyotes.

As far as hunting with the 17HMR, I tried it on squirrels, once, and it just makes a mess. (Even though it will shoot them in the head at ridiculous ranges.) So I couldn't find a use for it either...except on prairie dogs.

It is exactly what the doc ordered for pd's out to 150/175 yards. It's quiet so it doesn't put em down in the holes. There's no recoil so you can see exactly where the shot goes (and what it does). It puts em down with authority (bang...flop). It shoots pretty flat inside that range (none, or little hold over). A big wind will get it, but it's still OK out to 125 or so even with a full value 10mph wind blowing. It's cheap to shoot...well, pretty cheap anyway. Just an absolute ball. But that's the only use I have for it.

HOOfan_1
August 22, 2010, 11:27 PM
I found the 22WMR to be inherently inaccurate

maybe your guns were...the round isn't. I've got a Mossberg Chuckster 640KA and my dad has a Savage 65M...both are super accurate.

He shot a groundhog in the head at 160 yards last week...a groundhog's head is about the size of a baseball.

Hunterdad
August 23, 2010, 05:07 PM
^^^I have the same rifle with a Simmons 3-9x50 in .22mag. Hands down, my favorite gun. It's far more accurate than me.

MATTHEW QUIGLEY
August 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
A .17 cal 20 grain bullet at 2200 fps or a .22 cal 40 crain bullet at 1900 fps? Hmmm? The HMR's largest bullet is half as big as the WMR's and only 300 fps faster. Logic says go with the .22 WMR.

Hunterdad
August 23, 2010, 06:39 PM
A .17 cal 20 grain bullet at 2200 fps or a .22 cal 40 crain bullet at 1900 fps? Hmmm? The HMR's largest bullet is half as big as the WMR's and only 300 fps faster. Logic says go with the .22 WMR.

Thats the reason I went with the 22mag

benzy2
August 23, 2010, 09:55 PM
Honestly, for me, if it was out of .22lr range or game size, it was out of .22mag or .17hmr capabilities as well and the .223 was used. I do reload as well so that makes the price of .17hmr and cheap reloads about on pace with each other.

I like my .17hmr I guess. It just is too expensive to shoot for fun when I have more fun with the centerfire rifles for the same cost.

I like the pick to go with a .22mag. Something about it seems more enjoyable. I think you made the right call. I also think going with Marlin was the right call. I may be out alone here, but Marlin barrels seem to be capable of a little more than Savage. The factory trigger isn't up to the factory Savage trigger, but once that is sorted and maybe bedded, they all seem to shoot fantastic. Enjoy that rifle.

Maverick223
August 24, 2010, 12:53 AM
A .17 cal 20 grain bullet at 2200 fps or a .22 cal 40 crain bullet at 1900 fps? Hmmm? The HMR's largest bullet is half as big as the WMR's and only 300 fps faster. Logic says go with the .22 WMR.Velocity counts for more than mass (as noted in the equation: E=0.5MV²), so that isn't necessarily the case.

rangerruck
August 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
The 17 cal , will have more energy from 100 to 200 yds than a 22 mag bullet.
most 20 grain bullets are doing over 2300fps from a rifle, some guys with better bbls clock in at near 2400 fps with 20 grainers. Now if you are shooting game, and keeping your shots under 100 yds, then a 22 mag has more energy; but once you cross about 80 yds or so, the 17 takes over in the energy dept. And if you are looking for accuracy, the 17's are double tough to beat.

MATTHEW QUIGLEY
August 24, 2010, 11:40 AM
Just how are the .17's so much more accurate. I can't fathom a way possible for one caliber , say .277, to be more accurate than another, say .284. Maybe, .17 rifles and ammo are assembled with more exacting tolerances?

Maverick223
August 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
Just how are the .17's so much more accurate. [...] Maybe, .17 rifles and ammo are assembled with more exacting tolerances?Yes; quite simply they are loaded for better accuracy. They are more consistent and/or use better components, and because you cannot handload rimfire cartridges there is nothing that you can do to improve their performance. .22WMR could be just as accurate, but the cartridge factories choose not to load them in that manner. There is still no such thing as an inherently accurate cartridge...but there are better loads. :D

I can't fathom a way possible for one caliber , say .277, to be more accurate than another, say .284.Right you are, 7mm, or any other caliber/cartridge is no more accurate than another (when given components of equal quality). Between the two you mention there is a difference is the components available (very little match grade/high BC projectiles available for .277cal.) but that is solely a factor of quality...it still isn't inherently accurate.

CraigC
August 24, 2010, 12:43 PM
That's a very simplistic view.

I don't pretend to know why exactly the .17HMR is so accurate. Although it does support the argument FOR inherently accurate cartridges. My own is a $300 Savage heavy barrel model 93. With ammo that costs $13 a box, it will cut half inch groups at 100yds all day long. As long as I do my part. From what I see on RFC, this performance is typical for rifles in this price range. Including Marlins and CZ's. So tell me, if the cartridge is not inherently accurate, why is it that to meet this accuracy with a centerfire, you need a vastly more expensive rifle and handloads that are tailored to your rifle? Why is it that to meet this accuracy level with a .22LR and even then at only fifty yards (1/4") requires a premium quality barrel, proper headspace and premium match ammunition?

I have heard of .22Mags that shoot sub-MOA, but never of one that shoots half-MOA. Even with premium quality ammunition.

HOOfan_1
August 24, 2010, 01:54 PM
Of course the lack of appreciable recoil helps some shooters achieve better accuracy with 17 HMR compared to centerfires.

rangerruck
August 24, 2010, 11:43 PM
Mav is mostly right here; the 17 cal bullet is a precision made bullet, you ever take a look at the mudballs they roll together and put in the top of a 22 mag case, not counting the premier tips? they also have a hi pressure round here, so they are much more consistent in the making of the case, overall lenght, the primer construction, and the amount of powder that is used.
So generally speaking, a 17 ANYTHING round, is better made and has more consistencly than probably all 22 mag rounds, and most of your 22 lr fodder out there.
As far as centerfires go, anything between 6mm and 7mm seem to be most accurate, for a few reasons; because with the right powder mix, and the right shape case, they can do the accurate thing that all the other bullets do, but because of their weight, shape, density, and speed, they
seem to be able to do what the others do, but faster, longer, and with better atmospheric
resistance. Or should I say resistant? or heck even slipstreaming...

Maverick223
August 25, 2010, 12:34 AM
Although it does support the argument FOR inherently accurate cartridges.BS, it is solely a factor of components and loading practices. The bullet doesn't know the shape of the case, or volume of propellant, or type of primer (that isn't to say that some aren't more efficient and haven't other advantages). Consistency (of both the construction and the materials) matters a great deal, the rifle and shooter are also of great importance...nothing else makes any difference until you reach the transonic region (not applicable for subsonic cartridges) or limit of trajectory (typically measured in miles, even for rimfire).

DNS
August 25, 2010, 01:39 AM
My vote for the 22 magnum.
The .17 more often than not misses the target here in windy west Texas.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about ".17 HMR or .22 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!