What's this?

PDA

rm23
July 22, 2010, 02:13 PM
The knife to the left of the 1911.

http://pbr703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/hammerofjustice_/utf-8BYXR0YWNobWVudC5qcGVn.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Cameron
July 22, 2010, 02:32 PM
That is a HideAway Curvy

http://www.hideawayknife.com

JShirley
July 22, 2010, 05:41 PM
Looks least useful of anything there.

LHRGunslinger
July 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
Seems to me like a solid "oh crap" weapon. I like the larger models better.

rm23
July 23, 2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I know. I've just never seen anything like it before.

Erik
July 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hideaways offer a discrete means of carrying an an effective edged weapon; its strength lies as much in the carry options it allows as in its design. That doesn't change because some don't "get it" or have preferred alternatives doesn't change that. The company started off strong, then faltered. Hopefully it will get itself back on track.

heron
July 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
The company started off strong, then faltered. With those prices and wait times, I'm not surprised. I don't know how crucial the size measurement is, but it seems they could cover just about everyone with maybe three sizes. Then they could make them all out of one kind of steel and have a reasonable price and sell LOTS of them. The concept does have appeal.

You could go buy a pair of embroidery scissors for about twenty bucks or less and have something that would fill some of the same roles, and without arousing as much suspicion if found. Scissors are very handy, and I think you can even carry them on airplanes.

JShirley
July 25, 2010, 07:06 PM
No. Nothing stabby is allowed on airplanes. Even nail clippers are sometimes confiscated.

earlthegoat2
July 25, 2010, 07:24 PM
The hideaway is a pretty nifty tool for police. Mounted properly to your rig it offers an excellent means of seatbelt cutting as well as a ECQ option in the rare event that something gets dicey.

I think the Hybrid is the best blade profile as it offers the straight in and straight down cutting technique.

The size thing is really not that critical I would think either. I have actually owned a few that were not fitted to me. They both were just a bit big. Nothing hockey tape could not fix though.

spur0701
July 25, 2010, 07:51 PM
Just looks like a modified skinner to me........

Vonderek
July 25, 2010, 11:28 PM
Actually the Hideaway is a pretty cool concept. It's pretty much a single purpose knife. The utility of it is the single capsule hole that allows you to "wear" the knife on your hand while keeping your fingers free to perform other tasks. For example, if you are carrying a handgun at the ready in a two-handed grip with the hideaway on your weakside hand it makes it difficult for a goblin to grab your gun and try to disarm you. It's like a raptor claw. I have one...just to have...and never really use it much beyond the rare times wearing it in the neck sheath under a t-shirt if I'm at the pool or the beach and have no place to wear my EDC. Even though it sits in the drawer mostly it's one of things that's kind of cool to have in the collection. And the quality of both knife and sheath are really good.

Joe Demko
July 26, 2010, 10:56 AM
Seconded.

JShirley
July 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
The bottom knife, though, looks like a very size-efficient last-ditch defensive tool.

heron
July 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
JShirley wrote:
No. Nothing stabby is allowed on airplanes. Even nail clippers are sometimes confiscated. Check out the TSA's website here; you'll be surprised.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inchesare allowed in both carry-on and checked baggage, but should be taped or sheathed.

JShirley
July 26, 2010, 11:44 PM
Good luck meeting TSA staffers that actually know and understand the law! :mad:

hso
July 26, 2010, 11:54 PM
John,

Plenty of TSA agents in my travels have passed scissors through in a first aid kit or grooming kit in my carry on. Same for nail clippers as long as they don't include the "traditional" pen knife blade.

OTOH, there have been times in the early days of TSA that you weren't allowed to take these into the sterile area of an airport. Not so much a problem for the past couple of years.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!