i have one(of two) extractor pins missing

PDA

cajun47
July 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
on my s&w model 29 .44 mag. #8 here:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=10108

and they are out of stock. im not sure if i could even put it in. how important is it to the function of the gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "i have one(of two) extractor pins missing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
Not too important at all.
They don't even put them in the new guns now I think.
I know my 625-6 and 317 doesn't have them, or even the holes they go in.

I wouldn't suggest a lot of high-speed DA dry-fire practice without putting empty cases or snap-caps in at least a couple of chambers though.

The loaded rounds or empties in the chambers support the ratchet / ejector from trying to turn separate from the cylinder when actually shooting it.

BTW: You can make a replacement pin out of the proper size # drill bit shank, or music wire spring stock from the hobby shop. Can't tell you off the top of my head what size drill bit to use, but you can always measure the pin you still have.

rc

jollyroger
July 24, 2010, 04:03 PM
New S&W's have a whole different ejector-probably easier for the CNC machines.

I bought an older Model 19 that was missing an ejector pin years ago. Sent it to S&W for repair, they had it back to me in a couple weeks all fixed up. A simple repair - for them. I wouldn't go bootlegging a pin out of a drill bit or something else, though. If you go using a hardened steel like a drill bit you could wallow out the hole, or potentially crack the cylinder over time. Hard to say, but why take the chance.

Jim K
July 24, 2010, 10:05 PM
FWIW, I made them out of finishing nails. There is little strain on them, even in dry firing, and I never had one come back.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "i have one(of two) extractor pins missing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!