Computer Question for Computer Gurus

PDA

January 22, 2003, 01:53 PM
I will be honest here. This isn't gun related other than the fact that I use my computer primarily to surf gun related boards and to buy gun related stuff.
Why is it that my computer needs to reload the entire web page when I hit the "back" button on my browser ? It didn't used to do this. I used to be able to go from page to page and then return to any of the previous pages and there it was, just like it was the last time I looked at it. Now all of the sudden, when I go back to a previously viewed page, it needs to reload the page. Is this a function of some setting on my browser ? Does it have to do with my pathetic internet connection ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Computer Question for Computer Gurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
January 22, 2003, 02:05 PM
Just a wild guess, but maybe your settings regarding temporary internet cache are out of whack. If you're using IE, try going to Tools>Internet Options
There should be an option there that allows you to set the number of days a website is stored in your history. If it's one or two days, you might consider increasing that.

Also, in that same menu box there's a 'Temporary Internet Files' section. Click the 'Settings' button there, and see what option is selected for 'Check for newer versions of stored pages'

There is also an option there that lets you increase the size of your temporary internet files, which means more stuff gets stored on your hard drive, but for pages you access regularly, it'll load faster.

I don't know if any of that helps or not.

Bacchus
January 22, 2003, 02:08 PM
The cache holds images and text on your hard drive. You may have manually deleted the contents of it or you may have a program that automatically does it when you quit your browser.

Also, if using IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, and the Temp Internet Files under the General Tab. Click settings and check that the browser is NOT automatically checking for newer versions each time you access the page. You can increase the size of the cache on the bar below (as long as you have ample space on the hard drive).

HTH

JohnK
January 22, 2003, 02:10 PM
If you're using Internet Explorer it could be set to check for a new page every time you visit that page. To check it in IE 5/6 click Tools - Interent Options - Settings on the General Tab. I would suggest setting it to Automatic, that works on my system.

spacemanspiff
January 22, 2003, 02:22 PM
since were on the topic of computers, why is it that i get 'server not found' at least once a day for several hours at a time when i try to vist THR?
its getting frustrating just trying to view posts.

January 22, 2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I played with the settings and it didn't solve the problem. Just for clarification, I am talking about when currently using the browser. In other words lets say I log on to THR and click the new posts button. Then I read four pages. When I return to the first page, the browser wants to start over and load the whole page anew.
This didn't happen two weeks ago, and I didn't change any settings in my browser that I remember. If it is the computer itself, it wouldn't be the first time that some setting "changed itself" for no appearent reason. Although I wonder if my internet connection might be a factor. It seems to be slower than it used to be. Or how about a virus ?

JohnK
January 22, 2003, 03:33 PM
since were on the topic of computers, why is it that i get 'server not found' at least once a day for several hours at a time when i try to vist THR?

Sometimes that's just the nature of the Internet. When you make a request for a page from THR it's sent through several other machines, could be 5 could be 30, before getting to THR which then sends the page back. If any one of those along the way is having problems you can get that "server not found" message even though you can get to other pages fine.

Open up a command prompt (start - run - command on Win9x/WinME or start - run -cmd on W2K/WinXP) and type tracert www.thehighroad.org to see how many machines are between you and the server here. If you see a lot of high numbers or "request timed out" that's where the problem is.

444 I don't belive you have a virus causing the pages to reload, as far as I know no virus has ever had that behavior before.

tyme
January 22, 2003, 08:06 PM
sms, IE basically does whatever it wants; I've experienced those messages when there was absolutely no reason for them at all (the server was right across an ethernet switch from the windows box).

Microsoft thinks it should rewrite standards when much time and thought has been put into them. They end up turning out buggy, unreliable products.

Live with it. Close and re-open ie. :)

January 22, 2003, 08:16 PM
It was decided at Microsoft, during a brilliant brainstorming session, that
military service would improve the skills and discipline of their finest
technician. So off to boot camp he went.

At the rifle range he was given some instruction, a rifle, and bullets. He
fired several shots at the target.

The report came from the target area that all attempts had completely missed
the target.

The Microsoft tech looked at his rifle and then at the target again.
"Hmmm," he thought, "I'll get to the bottom of this in no time." He looked
at the rifle again, and then at the target again. He pointed his still
loaded rifle at the ground in front of him and fired.

A cloud of dust kicked up, and a little dimple was left there in the dust.

"Yep, it's working," he concluded.

The technician yelled out to the others at the target end, "The rifle is in
working order, and the bullet seems to be leaving this end just fine. The
trouble must be at your end!"

P.S. I don't have anything against Microsoft. I have been using their products since the early versions of DOS, it is just a joke.
This also offically makes this thread gun-related.

Gewehr98
January 22, 2003, 10:38 PM
Server cannot be found, or page cannot be displayed, or remote server refused connection.

Haven't pinged the THR server, but it's not that far away from me, I think it's in Jacksonville, if NeoTrace was correct...

Mal H
January 22, 2003, 11:07 PM
I've also been getting a lot of server-not-found errors. More annoying is the very slow load of a page near the end of the data string which seemed to start today. IE reports "8 items remaining" or a lower number, but it has been taking a few seconds to load the bulk of a page and a few minutes to load the last few items, usually a few button graphics. Anybody else seeing this problem?

JohnK - I don't think tracert or ping will work for THR due to the firewall installed. You should get time outs only.

Derek Zeanah
January 23, 2003, 09:58 AM
Up until yesterday, we were seeing something like 70-110 active connections through the firewall when the board reported 350 people online.

Yesterday we saw spikes as high as 533 -- all of them attempts to connect to Apache processes. Now, by default Apache is hard-coded to limit simultaneous processes to 256 -- we may recompile this evening to increase the limit to something much higher. We'll see how things go today first.

Anyway, things are still running fine, but we're seeing slow connect times as there aren't enough copies of our web server to service all the simultaneous requests. Haven't identified a cause for the change yet.

Derek Zeanah
January 23, 2003, 10:01 AM
Just saw this:for several hours at a time when i try to vist THR?As far as I'm aware, yesterday was the first day this happened -- note that I have a 100 Mb connection to the server so connections seem fast, as long as there's an httpd process available to service the request. Yesterday I had to wait. ;)

Anyway, I'll try and keep a closer eye on it today.

cratz2
January 23, 2003, 01:05 PM
I'll start off by thanking Oleg and Derek and the rest of the crew that makes THR happen. My favorite place to spend a couple hours a day away.

Lately (the last week or so) I've been seeing a few more timeouts and server errors than prior to the most recent week. I'll hit the post and it will sit there for a minute and time out. Sometimes the post will appear and sometimes it won't. We had the rash of double and triple post a while back so now I just wait about a minute before trying to post again to avoid the double post.

Using tracert, the first 7 or 8 or 9 hops usually ping just fine and the next 10 or 15 or so time out. Sometimes, there are abotu 15 total hops and they all ping fine, but it's usually when it gets to the megapath.net servers that things bog down for me. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I set up and used to maintain a Russell Crowe website and forum for my wife and most people had no or very few problems but I could rarely get decent responses from my workplace. Our servers all went throgh Omaha at the time. Strange thing was, our work servers weren't the problem, it was the servers just outside of our work servers. Same thing with my current experience. When I go through the megapath.net servers which looks like they might be in or arond Chicago, I get problems.

Anyway, still only a minor inconvinience. Great place to be a member of.

Thanks again!

Gewehr98
January 23, 2003, 11:58 PM
Dunno what the sysadmin did, but good job!

If you enjoyed reading about "Computer Question for Computer Gurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!