M91/30 "Dragoon" Mosin Nagant

PDA

KodiakBeer
July 28, 2010, 03:53 PM
I just ordered a Dragoon from Classic Arms. This is an early hex receiver rifle with a 26" barrel and the updated WWII sights added later. I ordered the Izhevsk arsenal model because my wife's family worked there for several generations.

Anyway, what can I expect from one of these earlier rifles in terms of accuracy, function, etc? Also, I'd appreciate any feedback from people who have dealt with Classic Arms ( http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm ) as far as speed of shipping, condition of firearms and so on - silly of me to ask after ordering! :o

I actually ordered two Dragoons and two CZ 82's - one each for me and my son.

If you enjoyed reading about "M91/30 "Dragoon" Mosin Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alemonkey
July 28, 2010, 04:05 PM
I believe the Classic Arms rifles are actually "Ex-Dragoons", that is, Dragoons that were updated to 91/30 specs.

fireman 9731
July 28, 2010, 04:09 PM
I have a 1927 Tula Dragoon conversion. Its a sweet shooter with nice workmanship. I don't think you will be disappointed. Accuracy should be as good, or better than your average Mosin.

KodiakBeer
July 28, 2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I know it was updated later with the new sights, so it's a conversion rather than an original. Did they make any other changes rather than just the sights?

As for the sights, are they like the volley or battle sights on other rifles of that era - sighted 12 or 18" high at 100 yards? I did some casual shooting with MN's some years ago, but I don't recall how the sights were regulated. I'd like to take some deer and caribou with this rifle, so should I expect to install a taller front sight?

Cosmoline
July 28, 2010, 04:51 PM
The 91/30 is a continuation of the Dragoon line, so in a way all that was done is updating the Dragoon's sights on the "converted" models. More of an upgrade than a conversion. There's a detailed article on the critter here:

http://mosinnagant.net/USSR/Soviet-M9130.asp

Many of the 91/30's do shoot high at 100, but there are fixes for that. Mojo is one, and I know folks who've used a soldered nail extension. The Finns used a variety of boosters to raise the front sights on captured rifles.

caribou
July 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
The Russians held at the belt buckle and didnt care if it was 12 inches high, the idea being that as the mn advanced, it would contenue to hit them good.

The Finns brought 91's, 91-30's and Dragoons they had in country, when they won independance, to Point Of Aim by removing the front post with globe and replaced it with a blade, often "Stacked" with a dovetailed extention on the blade sight. This raised the Point of Aim to the point of impact, with a "6 oclock' hold.

The 91/30 sights were a step up from the Koronove sights, and the Finns bested those with the M28/30 and M-39 series.

91/30 sights are Nothing to sneeze at , the X-dragoon will serve you well.
I think "Buysilsurp.com" might have Finn front sights if you need

Now to play with it some and try to find which ammo it does well with :D

Have fun!!

KodiakBeer
July 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks Caribou and Cosmo! We'll see how it shoots, then if need be I'll look for one of those Finn sights.

This is all your fault Caribou! That thread on your wife's bear ratcheted the MN up to the top of my "next gun to buy" list. Bastid! So, thanks!

Oh, and thanks for that link - very educational!

mgkdrgn
July 28, 2010, 11:11 PM
I think you will be very happy with it, both in terms of "fit and finish" as well as accuracy. You -might- have to work a bit to find a round it -really- likes, and at 100 yards it will likely "shoot high" with your normal sight picture.
The milsurp ammo for them is a real arse kicker ... get a slip on recoil pad, and DO NOT forget to clean with an ammonia solution after each shooting session. All that milsurp ammo is corrosive.
I've just started reloading for the Mosin (1922 Ex Dragoon IZ with a laminate stock) in search of a load that I can shoot all afternoon ... and still be accurate. It will be fun! It will also take the ammo into the non-corrosive realm, which will be good.

KodiakBeer
July 29, 2010, 02:52 AM
I'm sure looking forward to it. I'll be sure to post a range report when I get it. I'll be ecstatic if I get a laminated stock.

RevDerb
July 29, 2010, 07:44 AM
I have a 1927 Tula Ex-Dragoon for sale over on surplusrifleforum.com (for $150.00) and it is highly functional, and very accurate. I got carried away after my first MN purchase and before I knew it, I had 10 Mosin Nagants and three Yugo Mausers. Enjoy your Ex-Dragoon. I haven't heard anything negative about Classic.

If you enjoyed reading about "M91/30 "Dragoon" Mosin Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!