Winchester Model 100 in .308 with worn barrel

PDA

TylerPearce
July 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
I have a model 100 that my grandpa gave me on my 14th birthday as my first hunting rifle. Problem is, the barrel has a LOT of wear and a serious pitting issue. I would like to get a new barrel installed, but don't even know if that is possible with this rifle.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 100 in .308 with worn barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
July 28, 2010, 09:03 PM
Unless you find a barrel that a gunsmith may have, I could only find this dealer of Winchester parts. It probably will not be cheap to get it back in shape.

http://www.nulineguns.com/category_part_64_2_21_64.php

NCsmitty

JohnBT
July 29, 2010, 07:45 AM
It doesn't look good.

www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/winchesterl_88_100.htm

Under the 'replacement barrels' heading...

"These guns had the barrels screwed into the receiver, headspaced, & for the model 100 the gas piston base was silver-soldered onto the barrel and then the caliber & rollmarking placed on the barrel & it was blued. For the factory too replace the barrel, the receiver also had to be replaced as a unit."

Can a centerfire barrel be relined? And if so, while it's attached to the receiver?

John

TylerPearce
July 29, 2010, 11:30 AM
The cost isn't really a factor to me. I don't have much right now, but I will save for it if i have to, or get rid of my bolt .308. It was my grandpa's and my first Rifle, even if it isn't worth much, It means a lot to me. Thanks for the replies.

rcmodel
July 29, 2010, 12:03 PM
Can a centerfire barrel be relined?No, not in this case.

Re-lining is generally used only in low pressure rim-fire and black-powder class center-fire.

To much pressure for a .308 Win to be re-lined and end up safe, or sound.

About the only option I can see that might work with this one is to re-bore & re-rifle it to .358 Winchester which was one of it's orginial chamberings.

As I don't know if the barrel can be removed from the receiver, I don't even know if re-boring is possible.

rc

TylerPearce
July 29, 2010, 01:34 PM
This is not sounding very promising. It looks like this might just be a safe gun from now on, and my bolt gun will come hunting with me.

Jim Watson
July 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
Nu Line handles W-100 parts and gunsmithing:
http://www.nulineguns.com/category_part_64_2_21_64.php

Jim K
July 29, 2010, 03:09 PM
From what JohnBT says, it would be very difficult for a gunsmith to replace that barrel. A new barrel (if one could be obtained) would be without the gas port and gas block, since that work was done AFTER the barrel was screwed into the receiver and torqued up. I don't think new gas blocks would be available, since they were never sold. In theory, any barrel could be turned to the right contour and threaded, the old barrel removed and the old gas block removed from it, the gas port drilled in the new barrel, the old block (if it is OK) silver soldered to the new barrel, and the barrel reblued to remove marks from the heat. I think the job would at least $500 or more, just not worth it.

Keep the rifle as a family heirloom, but give it an honorable retirement.

Jim

TylerPearce
July 29, 2010, 04:07 PM
Can do! It is sticking around no matter what, maybe I'll go out and have a last hoorah with it!

Ridgerunner665
July 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
Have it rebored to 358 Winchester...or 338-08.

351 WINCHESTER
July 29, 2010, 05:45 PM
Lots of military surplus guns have serious pitting and worn barrels. Sometimes some good elbow grease and some j & b bore paste work wonders.

TylerPearce
July 29, 2010, 05:54 PM
I am getting about 6 inch groups with it... I have never use bore paste, does it usually work pretty good? How much is it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 100 in .308 with worn barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!