Imbicile!

PDA

Hondo 60
July 29, 2010, 10:31 AM
Well now I done it!

This WAS my chronograph.
As you can see, there's a skid mark on top & a hole out of the back.

Now I get to see how good Competition Electronics's customer service is.
and I can't spell either Imbecile has only one "i" & two "e's"

If you enjoyed reading about "Imbicile!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jcwit
July 29, 2010, 10:34 AM
Ha! Believe me you're not the first.

MissouriBullet
July 29, 2010, 10:36 AM
That would be "Minute of Chronograph" accuracy?

Hondo 60
July 29, 2010, 10:40 AM
Yup, someone once told me there's 2 kinds of chrono users.
Them that's shot their chrono & them that's gonna shoot their chrono.

ScratchnDent
July 29, 2010, 11:02 AM
.357 Magnum VS Shooting Chrony :D

Still works!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll198/ScratchnDentthr/chrony001.jpg

rbernie
July 29, 2010, 11:14 AM
Ha! When I shot mine, I was playing with some 45ACP loads along with some rifle loads and tried to sneak in a few shots from the CZ97B while set up on the rifle range. I was trying so hard to be unobtrusive and get the shots in before anyone noticed that I didn't pay enough attention to my aim and shot one of the screen uprights into a perfect sideways V.

What started out looking like \ wound up looking like <. It was a perfect dead-center hit. Fortunately, the chrono itself was unharmed and the screen rod was an easy replacement.

243winxb
July 29, 2010, 11:26 AM
Sold my chronograph years ago. New owner killed it with the first shot. :D

loadedround
July 29, 2010, 12:04 PM
You could never do that at my gun club. You may fire at paper targets only; metal, glass or plastic targets are illegal! :D

JimKirk
July 29, 2010, 01:05 PM
Does the CE have the target crosshairs printed on the face like the Chrony does?

If you'd had a Chrony you'd have been shooting high by 3/4"!

That is the reason I like the Pact model One, it has just the "eye" out front and they are <$20 to replace. I keep a spare set on hands because...

Jimmy K

ReloaderFred
July 29, 2010, 01:08 PM
That's why I set up a target stand just behind the chronograph screens, with a target center where the rounds need to pass over the screens for the best readings. It gives me a point of aim for each shot. I also won't let anyone else shoot over my chronograph. I'll shoot their firearm over my chronograph before I'll let anyone else take a shot at it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Kawabuggy
July 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
I have yet to get a chrony yet, but I'm sure once I do-I'll shoot it! That wound looks minor it should be okay.

My son was shooting off the bed of my truck and skimmed a .17HMR bullet across the bed-liner. I was mad at the time, but now we laugh about it. You can actually see the lands/groove marks that transferred from the bullet into the plastic of the bed liner. No one was injured and life soldiers on. Part of the fun of shooting sometimes things get shot that weren't supposed to.

Hondo 60
July 29, 2010, 02:35 PM
May look minor, but it took out the back sensor.
My next shot said it was 172fps.

The previous shot was over 3000fps.

jcwit
July 29, 2010, 02:42 PM
Squib load?

Jesse Heywood
July 29, 2010, 03:11 PM
Them that's shot their chrono & them that's gonna shoot their chrono.

I'm waiting for the bulletproof model to come out.

kbbailey
July 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
thats a nice chrono. what will it green-score?? i would have it mounted to display over the mantle.

tomsp8
July 29, 2010, 09:52 PM
Shot an arrow into mine.........the lcd still worked! Couldn't
read the numbers though. Sent it back to Chrony with $35 to
fix it. They led me to believe that they see it all the time....lol
Had it back in 4 days. All in all, pretty good.

docsleepy
July 29, 2010, 10:09 PM
My 21 year old took out the left rear with his XD. Turns out he has a BAD trigger pull yank that he needs to work on! I was stunned. I took his gun--it shoots fine! He shot....way way low and left. He says hes working on it now.

Anyway, he missed the sensor, just put a hole in the back metal and damaged part of the plstic. The Chrony still works! Pretty tough hombre, that Chrony!!

alfack
July 29, 2010, 10:34 PM
I think you just found another use for laser boresighters :)

Hondo 60
July 30, 2010, 01:16 AM
Squib load?

No - the shot took out the back sensor so the chronograph doesn't read well anymore.
Emailed Competition Electronics & they said to sent it in, so I did.
I asked them to call me with the bill to repair or replace.

lwknight
July 30, 2010, 01:29 AM
There was recently a thread on castboolits about " shot my chrony"
There were some great funny stories and a few armored chronys pictures showed up.
Probably in a week 50 or more people told about shooting their chrony.
It was hilarious to read.

qajaq59
July 30, 2010, 07:07 AM
Them that's shot their chrono & them that's gonna shoot their chrono. Ayup!

arkansashillbilly
July 30, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'm going to go pop some popcorn for when this thread turns into the great debate of what's the best round for a guaranteed one shot stop on the chrony.

ScratchnDent
July 30, 2010, 01:51 PM
I'm going to go pop some popcorn for when this thread turns into the great debate of what's the best round for a guaranteed one shot stop on the chrony.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!

:D

As you can see in my photo above, even a full power .357 Mag is ineffective without a CNS hit.

josephbw
July 30, 2010, 03:13 PM
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/bubbajr870/P1000934.jpg

It only takes a moment of distraction to kill a chrony. Mine was done in with a 90gr. 9mm traveling at........Oh yeah, I don't know how fast it was going.:cuss:

The only good thing about the whole experience, was that I found out that Chrony has excellent customer service, and they are reasonable with replacement policies and repairs.

bullseye308
July 30, 2010, 03:31 PM
For those of us that have only "winged" one, replace the steel wires with wooden dowels. Cheap, easy, & when you cut one in half, it doesn't damage the unit.

Trust me. :o:uhoh::banghead:

Old Shooter
July 30, 2010, 03:47 PM
I imagine, if you manufacture chronographs for a living, repairing battlefield damage is just part of the game. Might as well grin and fix 'em so the customer will buy another when he manages to get a good cns shot on it next time and needs to replace it. :)

longdayjake
July 30, 2010, 04:04 PM
Seems to me that a little ar500 V shield would take care of this problem. Though it may make it a little difficult to see the display on the front.

steveno
July 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
at least with my Oehler the only damage would have been to the screen only and not to the chronograph. I haven't shot them either

Hondo 60
July 30, 2010, 09:22 PM
arkansashillbilly said: I'm going to go pop some popcorn for when this thread turns into the great debate of what's the best round for a guaranteed one shot stop on the chrony.

Thanks for the good laugh! :D If you look at the pic on post #1 that's what a .223 does.

+1 on wood dowels. Let's just say I learned the hard way. :banghead:

bullseye308
July 30, 2010, 09:33 PM
Yep, me too. :(

RandyP
July 30, 2010, 11:11 PM
And just to a silly nag...

"and I can't spell either Imbecile has only one "i" & two "e's" "

Are you SURE about how many "I"s there are in that word? - lol

Hondo 60
July 30, 2010, 11:16 PM
Well I said I can't spell ... lol

1SOW
July 30, 2010, 11:17 PM
I have always used a target behind my chrony, but I have missed my target once or....

I do have have 4 dowels that fit as "un-needed (I hope)" spare parts.

Clifford
July 31, 2010, 01:37 AM
Ive sent a 55 grain varmit round thru my first chrony. Total destruction! I purchased a new one and the first time out a co-worker took out one of the bars for the sky screen. The next time out a different co-worker took out another one. I'm thinking I shouldn't let anyone else use my chrony.

grubbylabs
July 31, 2010, 01:48 AM
I put an arrow through the back of mine. I replaced the rear optic but I don't think it works right. I might send it back to them to make sure it is good.

Nick5182
July 31, 2010, 01:53 AM
Lol, you're not the first, and definitely won't be the last!

FROGO207
July 31, 2010, 08:05 AM
Been there done that--TWICE.:banghead: Anyone done it more than twice yet? Suppose the factory guys have a picture file of "never seen one like this before"?:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Imbicile!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!