Reloading CMP's Greek M2 Ball, versus other 60's M2.

PDA

Ignition Override
July 30, 2010, 04:03 AM
A local guy is selling a very large batch from the 60s which is Boxer-primed (.40/rd.). My first Garand arrives from the CMP in about two weeks or so, and know nothing about the ammo except to keep the max. gas psi under control with GI ammo.

If this gent's ammo is Not identical to the Greek GI M2, can you reload it about the same number of times? All I know is that the CMP's ammo might be used four times or so, with lighter bullets and powder.

As a novice who began in February, my Only reloading has been with Prvi .303, using the Lee Single Stage. Neck-sizing only, as recommended. Two hours or more spent on just 50 rounds...

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading CMP's Greek M2 Ball, versus other 60's M2." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NuJudge
July 30, 2010, 05:48 AM
The Lake City from the late 60's and early 70's does not shoot as well as the Greek ammo. Lake City from earlier dates was excellent, 1950's and early 1960's. Much of the late 1960's Lake City you find today was originally loaded in machinegun belts, then recently removed from the belts and boxed or clipped, resulting in mixing of ammo lots, which explains the accuracy problems.

For use in manually operated rifles, you will probably like the LC better than the Greek, as working the bolt on a 1903 or 1917 is sometimes quite difficult after firing the Greek ammo.

The Greek brass is the only .30-'06 brass I have ever had to use a Small Base sizer on to get it to pass a case gauge. I fired a lot of LC '68, '69 and '74 during the 1980's and 1990's, and never had a problem with just using an ordinary Full Length sizer to get the cases to pass a case gauge.

I have prepared a lot of Greek brass, but I have not shot any of it. Other than the need to use a Small Base sizer, I like the stuff. I have reloaded a lot of LC69, and with better bullets it shot fine and lasted about 4 reloadings.

Ignition Override
July 30, 2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks very much. Bought 750 rds.
The case heads say "L C 6 9", must be Lake City.
The front says CMP and the end, "Packaged by Talon Mfg. Co. Inc".

soloban
July 31, 2010, 09:38 PM
I shot 60 rounds of LC69 a couple weeks ago through my M1 and got good accuracy with it. I was able to easily reload the brass as well since the brass didn't have a military crimp on it.

Fatelvis
August 1, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have loaded my CMP's Greek brass, LC and commercial brass (in different lots of course) all using the same Redding FL Bush die, set to provide the correct HS and they all function beautifully through my CMP Garand. Honestly, I don't see any difference in accuracy between them, and am not worried about internal capacity, as I load them fairly mild.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading CMP's Greek M2 Ball, versus other 60's M2." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!