Winchester-Western vs. Winchester

PDA

Quoheleth
July 30, 2010, 07:36 PM
I recently purchased some used .45 Colt brass. Seller kindly sorted it for me. One bag contains Winchester-Western, one contains Winchester. Is there a significant difference between the two, quality wise? Anything I need to watch for, beyond the usual inspection, with either? I'm not making Ruger-only nuclear loads, just nice plinking stuff.

Thanks,
Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester-Western vs. Winchester" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
July 30, 2010, 07:51 PM
Winchester Repeating Arms Company purchased all assets including name of Western Cartridge Company and used both names for many years. Both named ammunitions came out of the Illinois plant, same plant that makes Winchester ammunition today. They used "Super X" for the Western brand and "Super Speed" for the Winchester brand. Over a period of 50 or so years the Western name has been phased out except for occasional special promotions. I think the merger of the two names started shortly after WW2. For all practical purposes the cases are interchangeable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester-Western vs. Winchester" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!