August Rimfire Match

PDA

Maverick223
August 1, 2010, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the August Rimfire Match! This one is open to any and EVERY 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including 22 Mag, 17HMR, and 5mm Rem RF Mag. This match is meant to be challenging and FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

You may enter with multiple rifles.

There is Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->100yds for Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used)
->50yds for Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles)
Please note the change in distance and that the class determines the distance this month. This is another double distance month!

Target Class can be shot from any position, Sporting Class is shot from any position without a rest or sandbags. When you are satisfied you've done your best post (or shoot me a PM) a photo of your target for scoring with the following information. The Targets Will Be Included (or linked) Below...

Non Magnified Target: 50/100Yd. Target (http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/50yd%20NRA.pdf)- 5 shots total; Scored as marked.

Magnified Target: 50/100Yd. Target (http://www.rrgclub.org/images/targets/lg_target/S-3%20Target.pdf)- 5 shots total; Scored as marked.

Scoring Guide Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated. All submissions due before September 1st, 2010.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "August Rimfire Match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shootr
August 2, 2010, 11:38 AM
Okay! Another go at 50 and 100 yards - should be fun.

Unfortunately have a lot of travel this month, but will try and get out a time or two. Thx Mav!

Maverick223
August 2, 2010, 12:12 PM
Welcome aboard, shootr! Was beginning to wonder if the thread was visible.

Remember that we still need targets folks.

KSCCHTrainer
August 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
Target suggestion for the 100 yard one. Since we're all making comments about rifles shooting "Minute of Tree Rat" here's a link to a squirrel silhouette target from Targetz.com where they have lots of different free, printable targets available. If you accept it, Maverick, you figure out how to score it.

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/30009.pdf

Maverick223
August 2, 2010, 02:33 PM
I was thinking that we would go back to 25/50yds this match, but we can do 50/100yds again if most folks agree.

P51D
August 2, 2010, 02:42 PM
I really like the challenge of 100 yds, so another round of 50 & 100 works for me. P51D

Maverick223
August 2, 2010, 02:56 PM
If there is no objection, i'm fine with it too. Any other target suggestions, or ideas on how to score the one KSCCHTrainer put forward?

Orlando
August 2, 2010, 04:49 PM
I'm in for 50-100yds
I would like to see a target that us Iron Sights guys could shoot at 100
The target we had last month was OK but was still hard to see at 100 since it didnt have alot of black in it

johnmcl
August 2, 2010, 05:06 PM
http://accurateshooter.net/targets/TargetA.pdf ?

Easy on the printer, plus there's commercial versions available.

5-4-3-2-1 scoring for five shots.

Orlando
August 2, 2010, 05:12 PM
In my opinion at these distances you will have a real hard time seeing that target with iron sights.
We kinda had this problem before. We are going to need something that has a Black background.
Just my opinion

Not saying we have to use this but need something like this
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/50yd%20NRA.pdf

But hey, you guys pic it and I'll do my best to shoot it

johnmcl
August 2, 2010, 05:50 PM
I like Orlando's idea better than my own.

Maverick223
August 2, 2010, 05:58 PM
We can give 100yds for irons and optics a shot...it'll be something different, and definitely challenging. What about one of these...they are something different (I don't remember using either), are easy to score, and both have plenty of black (with a red center aiming point):

Option A (http://www.rrgclub.org/images/targets/lg_target/S-3%20Target.pdf)

Option B (http://www.rrgclub.org/images/targets/lg_target/B-3%20Target.pdf)

Either or neither is fine with me, but we need to find something to get this show in the road...anyone else want to use Orlando's suggestion?

KSCCHTrainer
August 2, 2010, 06:37 PM
The target Orlando suggests was designed specifically for 50 yards with open sights. That's the range it should be shot at as it gets hard to see for the guys with poor eyes at 75 or 100 yards (I've tried it in a match on another forum).

The two options Mav suggests might be easier to see at 100 yards.

Any of them should work okay at 100 yards with magnified optics and I'll try my best with whatever you guys pick.

shootr
August 2, 2010, 09:14 PM
+1 what KSCCH said.

P51D
August 2, 2010, 09:50 PM
I vote for Orlando's suggestion for 50yds (at least). He's been patiently suggesting targets for a while, so I vote for that one. Although, if you look at his scores over the months, it looks like he consistently shoots the eyes out of whatever target we throw his way, regardless! ;) Plus, we have used that one in the past, so you may have a few laying around.

Either Orlando's or Mav's targets look good to me for 100 yds. If Mav's, Option A has my vote since scoring would be pretty self explanatory (as would Orlando's).

My 2 cents. :cool:

P51D

Maverick223
August 3, 2010, 03:35 AM
Alright then...Orlando's suggestion for Irons Division, and "Option A" for Optics Division. Both have been added to the OP. Now lets get this party started!

shootr
August 3, 2010, 07:04 AM
All-righty!

KSCCHTrainer
August 3, 2010, 07:56 AM
Game-ON, but need clarification on the non-magnified target - shoot at 50 or 100? OP says both at 100, but that non-mag target is pretty hard to see for old eyes at 100. I can do it with a scope at 100 yards, but not irons.

JoeMal
August 3, 2010, 08:46 AM
Question:

On the scoped target, is the center ring not worth anything? It has an X through it...and the 9 is red which makes me think it's the bullseye? Or am I looking into this way too much?

Looking forward to it! Just got my Marlin 60 zeroed in at 100 yards yesterday :)

KSCCHTrainer
August 3, 2010, 09:19 AM
Normally, the "X" ring counts 10 just like the 10 ring, but in the case of ties, the number of "X" ring hits is used as the tie breaker on most targets. In this case the X IS the 10 ring.

Maverick223
August 3, 2010, 12:09 PM
Game-ON, but need clarification on the non-magnified target - shoot at 50 or 100? OP says both at 100, but that non-mag target is pretty hard to see for old eyes at 100. I can do it with a scope at 100 yards, but not irons.IIRC Orlando requested both at 100yds. It can be changed (for now), what do the rest of you folks think about irons at 100?

Normally, the "X" ring counts 10 just like the 10 ring, but in the case of ties, the number of "X" ring hits is used as the tie breaker on most targets. In this case the X IS the 10 ring.Yep, use the X-ring for a tie breaker on the irons division target and count it as 10 on the magnified target.

Orlando
August 3, 2010, 08:04 PM
How about use the target I suggested at 50 and 100, iron sights?
Maverick ,use your target for the magnified devision?
I think if we get some targets that can be seen at the longer distances guys will shoot them
Just a suggestion, you guys decide

Maverick223
August 3, 2010, 08:26 PM
What about making the sporting divisions (both irons and optics) 50yds and target divisions 100yds? That will streamline things and make it a little different and more interesting. Remember there are no rests permitted in the sporting division.

Orlando
August 3, 2010, 08:39 PM
There will be a 100 yard iron sights and a seperate 100yds optics? If so sounds like a great idea

Maverick223
August 3, 2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks Orlando, it is so.

Guys please note the change in distance in accordance with the rifle class (unlimited target or Sporting) instead of optics division!

Jon_Snow
August 4, 2010, 04:37 PM
At the risk of asking a stupid question; do bipods count as rests?

Maverick223
August 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
Yep, bipods and even a fencepost is considered a rest. You can, however, rest your elbow on a surface (IE: ground when shooting prone or bench when seated) while supporting the rifle. Slings are also permitted and their use is encouraged.

mjsmith1223
August 5, 2010, 05:05 PM
Alright, another 50 yd challenge. I'm in again. Should be fun. This is a good excuse to buy another brick of ammo.

Maverick223
August 5, 2010, 07:34 PM
This is a good excuse to buy another brick of ammo.Might want to grab two...it is 5 shots per target after all. :D

juk
August 6, 2010, 02:36 AM
All out of decent ammo. All I've got left is stingers and Winchester 333. I'll give it a go, but not expecting much. I'm sure i will still have fun shooting, though.

Maverick223
August 6, 2010, 11:32 AM
Win. 333 doesn't do too bad for me. It isn't match grade by any stretch, but I can usually hit what i'm aiming at. I have noticed that CCI's QC has dropped off in the past few years. Walmart sells Federal Automatch pretty regular around these parts, but it isn't what I consider match grade either.

juk
August 6, 2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, the 333 isn't bad out of my 452, but isn't quite to the level of automatch. I wish some of the local stores had some Eley or Wolf that I could try out.

Maverick223
August 6, 2010, 02:20 PM
You don't happen to live near a BPS do you (IIRC there is one near Birmingham)? They sell Remington branded Eley, or at least they do here. I believe that Gander Mtn. also sells some match ammunition.

Orlando
August 6, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hey Maverick,
Forgive my ignorance. Is there a 50 yd iron sight target class this time??

Maverick223
August 7, 2010, 12:52 AM
Is there a 50 yd iron sight target class this time?Sure is, but only for the Sporting Class. The Sporting Class is 50yds for both divisions (optics and non-magnified sights) and the Unlimited Target Class is 100yds for both divisions. Sorry for the confusion.

Orlando
August 7, 2010, 07:37 AM
Well back to the range,I shot 50 yds in the target class:(

Maverick223
August 7, 2010, 08:27 AM
A great excuse for another range trip. ;)

Orlando
August 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
Yup you are right Mav. So I loaded up the truck, took the Kimber and Mossberg , also loaded the Garand and my Dan Wesson CCO, Targets, Range bag, Ammo, Target Stands, Rest, etc,etc, etc. Got to the range only to find it was CLOSED due to a unscheduled event:banghead: :cuss:
Oh well

Maverick223
August 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
Orlando, seems like you're having all the luck this month. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, hope you don't have to travel far to get there. OTOH you are more than welcome to join me at my range (though I don't shoot on Sunday)...but that'd be one heck of a drive. :D

KSCCHTrainer
August 13, 2010, 07:02 AM
Looks like everyone is having trouble getting to the range this month. Here in Kansas it's been so hot (triple digits every day) that outdoor ranges are out and even the indoor rifle range here in Wichita only has minimal air conditioning so it's been totally miserable.

Hopefully next week as the temps are going to be back in the 80's and low 90's for most of the week. At my age, I don't even think about taking chances on getting overheated.

Maverick223
August 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
KSCCHTrainer, it has been the same way here, upper 90's and 100's with high humidity...miserable. I hope, and believe things will improve towards the end of the month.

Heavies
August 13, 2010, 09:46 PM
Hello all,
I am new to your rimfire match, and I want to attempt the 100 target/scope class. I tried my Savage MKII bv out for the first time at 100 last Sunday, and she shot very well. I was shooting in another forum match and shot a 97/100 on that target, but then I started to have extractor issues. I figured out pinching the extrator spring a touch worked out. I didn't get a chance to shoot your forums targets by that time.
Sorry to hear about all that heat you folks are having up there. Here in Hawaii all we have to deal with are the constant winds and a few showers here and there. ;)
I'll try to get out next weekend, and hope to try my luck.

Maverick223
August 13, 2010, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the match, Heavies; hope you enjoy the match.

fishhawk
August 14, 2010, 12:07 PM
has anyone taken the BLACK DEATH CHALLENGE.

Maverick223
August 14, 2010, 01:03 PM
has anyone taken the BLACK DEATH CHALLENGE.Hadn't heard of it till now. Most of the links for it were expired, but if you can dig up some copies of the full size target (8.5x11in.) we can give it a shot next month.

Heavies
August 15, 2010, 12:35 AM
Found some of those targets here.
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=25577

PDF's about half way down the page.
Looks like fun.:D

Maverick223
August 15, 2010, 01:55 AM
Great find Heavies, I like it. We'll give it a shot next month, barring an outcry from the other competitors.

Orlando
August 16, 2010, 08:23 AM
I like it!!
I'm headed out today to shoot this months Match. Hopefully the winds dont pick up

Orlando
August 17, 2010, 05:43 PM
Finally made it to the range today
100 yds
Iron Sights
Front Rest
Kimber 82
Lapua Center X ammo
84 degrees ,slight breeze
Score 49
Darn flier!
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/22matchtarget100yds062.jpg

Maverick223
August 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
Even with the flyer, a great showing. Looks like 49-1X to me.

shootr
August 19, 2010, 12:32 PM
Nice shooting Orlando!

KSCCHTrainer
August 20, 2010, 10:44 AM
Flier? That's what you get for shooting at that horsefly that landed on the target. Wish I could see that far with open sights!

I call those things "Targets of opportunity" and Maverick should allow "mulligans" for that off center hole when it happens ---- :evil:

I'm still working on getting to the range this month, but they have been rebuilding the target carriers from a bunch of idiots with AR's that shot them up along with the 50 and 100 yard cameras. I keep telling them they need to hire a permanent range officer to keep that from happening. RO's wages will more than adequately be covered by what they are spending on replacing cameras.

Maverick223
August 20, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'm still working on getting to the range this month...As usual some yahoos ruining everyone's fun and giving responsible gun owners a bad name. Hope everything is repaired quickly and you have no more problems.

Orlando
August 20, 2010, 04:09 PM
Heres my Sporting Class Target
50 yds
Mossberg 44, bolt action
Iron Sights
Prone,sling
Wolf Match
91 degress, slight wind
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/22matchtarget50yds063.jpg

Maverick223
August 20, 2010, 04:46 PM
Well done, Orlando. Looks like you have improved your score to 50-2X.

P51D
August 21, 2010, 08:17 AM
Here's a 100 yd Optics entry that just cuts a 48. Shot with a brand new Savage 93 FV in .22 WMR, with a Redfield Revolution 4-12 x 40 scope. 40 gr CCI Maxi Mag HP ammo.

I tried saving a higher resolution On Target image, to better show the bullet outline of that one squeaker barely cutting the 10 ring. But the only thing I can figure out is to "Save View as Graphic" so I can upload it as a jpg. When it saves, it reduces the file size to about 40 kb, with no options for a higher resolution. :cuss: Any tips?

Heavies
August 21, 2010, 11:00 AM
Nice shooting Orlando and P51D. Im gonna try and get out this weekend. Hope I can...:uhoh:

Maverick223
August 21, 2010, 11:06 AM
Good shooting, P51D. Had plans to plink a little myself, but I let a fun-show slip up on me...so i'll be headin' there today.

Orlando
August 21, 2010, 12:04 PM
Wheres all our shooters? Come on guys there is still time

Nice shooting guys

KSCCHTrainer
August 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
Got to the range this afternoon. I forgot that it was supposed to be 5 rounds and I shot ten, so I'll have to do it again.

Marlin 81DL in the sporter class - 50 yards irons - federal 38 grain hollow point bulk pack from Wal Mart ammo, indoor range sitting position, elbows rested, no sling, 10 shots on the NRA 50 yard small bore target.

I'll reshoot it using only 5 rounds in a couple days, but I did manage a 98-2X for the 10 rounds.

Orlando
August 21, 2010, 08:28 PM
Very good shooting for 10 rounds
Now get outside and shoot like the rest of us in the wind:p

KSCCHTrainer
August 21, 2010, 09:48 PM
Very good shooting for 10 rounds
Now get outside and shoot like the rest of us in the wind:p
I wish!
There are no outdoor ranges in the area that aren't membership only, and their memberships are full. Gotta wait until someone dies or leaves before getting a chance to join. Even then, the waiting lists are 20 or 30 long.

Closest outdoor range open to the public is over 70 miles away and only has a 25 yard and 85 yard target area. Can't set up targets at 50 yards there, only 85 or 25.

Youse guys will just have to put up with me shooting indoors with no wind. Beats the heck out of crawling through the jungle or snow during my 20 years in the Army - :D

Hey, just had a thought, maybe I can convince the range owner to put in a couple big fans. One on either side of the range about the 50 yard line. That way the wind could be simulated by varying the fan speed. NOT! :eek:

Maverick223
August 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
Nice shooting, KSCCHTrainer. I'll see if I can get a hold of your local range owner to arrange for those fans; complete with pan, tilt, and variable speed...nothing but the best for you! :p

BTW, thank you for your service.

Heavies
August 22, 2010, 09:39 PM
Hey, just had a thought, maybe I can convince the range owner to put in a couple big fans. One on either side of the range about the 50 yard line. That way the wind could be simulated by varying the fan speed.

To mimic the conditions I had to shoot in today, you would have to have a switch connected to the trigger, so that when you pull it the fan would blow a 20 knot gust 90 degrees to the target.:what:

Just kidding...:) VERY nice shooting!!

I have to see if I can get out on the 28th or 29th, and try again.:barf:
Winds were crazy today, and my Savage MKII BV was giving me trouble. I was shooting Wolf MT and that bugger wouldn't extract! I tried all the usual, tightened the extractor spring, sharpened the extractor, cleaned the chamber, but I still got an intermittent stuck case. Irritated the heck out of me!:banghead:
I tried some different ammo, but it doesn't shoot as well as the WolfMT. I'm gonna try some Aguila SV next time and see how that does. Other wise I'll submit what I shot today. Oh well.;)

Maverick223
August 23, 2010, 12:28 PM
Heavies, depending upon your round count it might be time for a new extractor; that is a common problem for some rimfires (though not the Mk. II from my experience).

Heavies
August 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
I hope not. The rifle is brand new. I have maybe 600 rounds downrange. I heard of a lot of this problem with wolf and the MKII. I think the hook on the extractor is too shallow, and the rim of the wolf ammo looks by eye to be a touch fatter than other brands.
Examining the stuck cases looked like the tip of the hook was sitting on edge of the rim and not reaching under it.
I think I'll call savage and see what they can do for me.

KSCCHTrainer
August 23, 2010, 08:28 PM
Heavies,
That Wolf ammo is definitely thicker in the rim. I've had problems with it my Marlin 81DL which pre-dates WW-2. It doesn't like the stuff either. My Anschutz target rifle is 50-50 with the stuff. I've found that the Federal "Target Grade" 325 round per box bulk pack stuff from Walmart shoots as well or better than the wolf in both rifles. You might want to try some if you can find it there. Might be a cheaper fix than sending the rifle back to Savage.

They will, however, fix it if it's broke. Their customer service is really great.

Heavies
August 23, 2010, 10:50 PM
KSCCHTrainer,
Thanks for the advice on that ammo. I will be on the lookout for Fed Target grade. Unfortunately, Walmart in Hawaii does not carry such things as guns and ammo. With our crazy gun laws and island location in the middle of the sea, gun shops here have pretty much a monopoly on guns, ammo, powder, and primers. I know of no continental supplier that will ship ammo to us regular folks. Even if they did the hazmat and shipping fees would be prohibitive, unless you ordered a couple of pallets of ammo.
I would rather try and find some other ammo that shoots as good, and not send my gun in. Or, perhaps Savage can send me a new extractor. I'm sure I'll find a way.

Thanks to all for the great advice.:)

Maverick223
August 23, 2010, 11:49 PM
Yep, with a new rifle, that isn't your issue (or if it was it left the factory that way). FWIW, ammo isn't shipped Haz-Mat, only ORM-D (Other Regulated Materials-Domestic), but shipping cost alone may still be prohibitive. Probably best to just switch to something it likes better, or if you really want to run Wolf file the extractor until it is reliable, but if you switch you may loose the reliable extraction (though you could have two bolts set up for the same gun, one for Wolf and one for most else).

johnmcl
August 27, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

I have this one as a 50 1X. Sporter Class, Non-Magnified

Marlin 39A, prone, GI Web sling (which looks way weird), iron Skinner sights. 84 deg, no wind. CCI Mini Mag ammo

Maverick223
August 27, 2010, 04:11 PM
Good shooting, John.

Orlando
August 27, 2010, 04:13 PM
Very good shooting John
My Marlin doesnt group near that well

johnmcl
August 27, 2010, 08:01 PM
Orlando and Maverick, thank you.

Orlando, my 39A likes a lot of ammo, but really *loves* CCI MM. Let me point out again how weird that gun looked wearing the green web GI sling off my Garand.

Maverick223
August 27, 2010, 08:23 PM
Let me point out again how weird that gun looked wearing the green web GI sling off my Garand.I hear you, IMO a 1907 is even too tactical for a rifle such as yours. It sounds like a good candidate for a nice leather strap.

Orlando
August 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
I may have to get my Marlin out again.
I bought it in the early 1980's, took a few squirles with it, let my Dad borrow it so he could thin out a the groundhogs.
Its been sitting in the back of my safe for a few years now.

happygeek
August 29, 2010, 02:32 AM
My mediocre shooting:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/Firearms/p8290270.jpg

Just saw this thread right before I headed to the range this evening, missed the part about 5 shots per, and got a little trigger happy.

CMMG dedicated 22LR upper with RRA lower and iron sights. Very fun rifle for run n gun nutnfancy type stuff, so so for slow aimed fire.

Might be hard to see my writing on the targets with the way the camera flashed. The upper left one was 25 yards, the other 3 are 50 yards.

Thanks for the link to the targets by the way! I printed off 10 of them and shot them with the Walther P22 at more like 10 to 12 yards too. Took a buddy to the range with me and we used up quite a bit of 22LR, I should have printed more than 10 targets.

Just got back to the states last month and glad to see you're still doing the monthly 22LR competition!

Maverick223
August 29, 2010, 10:11 AM
Glad you like the targets, happygeek...now see if you can make it back out to the range in the next couple days and put them to use with only 5 shots. :D

Heavies
August 29, 2010, 06:27 PM
Here's what I got.
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-14.jpg
100 yards target class. Optic at 16x off a bipod and rear bag prone.
47/50

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-13.jpg

I don't know if I read the rules correctly, if not then disregard.
50 yards, optic at 8.5x, prone with sling.
45/50

I tried Aguila sv, and it shoots ok. I'd like a day with calmer winds to test it thoroughly though. Still not as good as wolf, but 100% extracts and ejects. Oh, well. Next time. :)

Maverick223
August 29, 2010, 07:18 PM
Looks good to me, Heavies. FWIW I really like Aguila fodder, but you are right that it can't hang in there with good match stuff.

happygeek
August 30, 2010, 03:03 PM
More of my mediocre shooting, this time with 5 rounds:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/Firearms/p8300271.jpg

Got back out to the range yesterday evening and gave it a try. The flash may have obscured my writing, the 2 on the top left were AK74, the bottom left was Sig 556, and the other 5 were the CMMG 22LR. The hold under was killing me. With the way I've got that rifle zeroed it's on at 25m and 100m, but at 50 yards I'm aiming at the "50 YD Smallbore" to hit the bullseye. The Sig 556 with Wolf was a lot easier since it's POI=POA at 50 yards.

It was a good day though. Zeroed that AK74 last week and shot it for the first time at 200 yards yesterday. The muzzle brake looks really cool around dusk too.

Maverick223
August 30, 2010, 05:05 PM
happygeek, correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that your best scores are 28pts. in the Sporting Div. and 12pts. in the Target Div. While those may not be the highest scores, don't count yourself short, it is still great practice, and we are glad to have you on board.

P.S.: Are you the same "happygeek" from DaniWeb IT forum?

happygeek
August 30, 2010, 05:24 PM
I shot all 8 of those at 50 yards, since I don't yet own a scope. Looking to order one here in the near future though. I liked my Sig score better, but alas it was centerfire.

No, not the happygeek from DaniWeb.

Maverick223
August 31, 2010, 01:03 AM
I shot all 8 of those at 50 yards, since I don't yet own a scope.Oops, changed it for you.

I liked my Sig score better, but alas it was centerfire.Perhaps you need a SIG-522 to pair with it. ;)

Maverick223
August 31, 2010, 10:21 PM
Where are all you folk's submissions? Would it help if I extended this month's match? If we don't want to extend, and there is no objections, we'll go with Heavies target next month (if extended, the following month).

Here is the best I could muster this month, and dang it I am proud of it too. This is amongst the best I have ever shot a rimfire. Shot these late in the day when the wind was unusually calm, and temp was relatively cool (80-85ish); the one on the left was from 50yds, prone with sling, magnification set to 9x; the one on the right was 100yds, at bench with bipod and sling, magnification maxed out at 16x. Looks like a 50 and 48 respectively to me, but feel free to correct me if you think I mis-scored either or both.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/AugRimfireMatch.jpg

Clint C
August 31, 2010, 11:23 PM
Well, might be time to comeback and give you guys another shot at my rimfire championship belt, lol.

Clint C
August 31, 2010, 11:24 PM
:evil::D:neener:

Maverick223
August 31, 2010, 11:50 PM
Well, might be time to comeback and give you guys another shot at my rimfire championship belt, lol.Absolutely, being in Iowa you have 1hr. & 10min. to get it done. :p

Everyone let me know if you want to extend this one, not too many submissions this go-around. :(

Clint C
September 1, 2010, 12:01 AM
Absolutely, being in Iowa you have 1hr. & 10min. to get it done.

Hahahaha! Good one! Glad to see the fun nature of this competition hasn't left since I last competed in it, It's been over a year since I last did and don't shoot the same rifles anymore, so we will see how I stack up anymore.

Clint C
September 1, 2010, 12:03 AM
By the way, good shooting you all.

Maverick223
September 1, 2010, 01:08 AM
Times up! :p BTW, glad to have you back, Clint. A few things have changed (Gavin and Bryan sort of disappeared, if yawl are out there please tune in), but we try to keep going in the spirit of the original theme of the match...bringing good folks together for a friendly competition and more importantly new shooters into the fold.

Orlando
September 1, 2010, 06:19 AM
Nice job Mav !:)

johnmcl
September 1, 2010, 08:01 AM
Maverick,

How about extending through the three day weekend? If you do, I'll pull out my Kimber 82G and give the 100 yard target a try.

KSCCHTrainer
September 1, 2010, 08:11 AM
Times up! :p BTW, glad to have you back, Clint. A few things have changed (Gavin and Bryan sort of disappeared, if yawl are out there please tune in), but we try to keep going in the spirit of the original theme of the match...bringing good folks together for a friendly competition and more importantly new shooters into the fold.

Mav,
In case it gets lost somewhere, I have managed to download the PDF of that "Black Death Challenge" target Heavies came up with and I have it saved in my rimfire targets directory. Now, even at 25 yards that target would be a challenge for irons and quite possibly for optics as well. Especially them LITTLE circles.

If we use it for the September match, it's gonna be really fun. I'll have to haul the Anschutz out and put the scope back on it for that one.

Orlando
September 1, 2010, 09:24 AM
Looking forward to the Black Death Challenge, ought to be fun

Maverick223
September 1, 2010, 12:28 PM
Good idea, John, we'll extend the match to Labor Day.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Match Extended; All Submissions Due By 11:59PM on September 6th!

Maverick223
September 1, 2010, 12:34 PM
Nice job Mav !Thank you for the kind words, Orlando.

In case it gets lost somewhere, I have managed to download the PDF of that "Black Death Challenge" target Heavies came up with and I have it saved in my rimfire targets directory. Now, even at 25 yards that target would be a challenge for irons and quite possibly for optics as well. Especially them LITTLE circles.I too saved a copy (had to learn that the hard way), but I do appreciate you looking out for me. I agree that this would be a good candidate for a 25/50yd match. It will help mix it up a bit and hopefully bring in a few new/returning shooters.

baldeagle93
September 3, 2010, 09:32 AM
Glad you extended the match Mav. It's been too hot to be enjoyable to shoot in the South, but the heat has finally broken and I have a weekend of shooting planned!!! Looks hopeful to get some rounds down range this weekend.

Maverick223
September 3, 2010, 11:10 AM
I am happy that the extension helped someone out. Good luck and have a good weekend.

Maverick223
September 5, 2010, 12:31 AM
Come on folks...match was extended through the weekend and 0 submissions...you guys are killing me. I wanna see some shootin' come Monday!

Orlando
September 5, 2010, 07:35 AM
Slackers:)

shootr
September 5, 2010, 09:41 AM
Glad this has been extended. I've been buried, ramping up and then being out of town, working to get caught up...

johnmcl
September 5, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

What a beautiful morning to be on the range!!!

100 yard, magnified division entry. This was done with a Kimber 82 Government, 6X Leupold scope, Harris Bipod and SK ammo.

I shot six targets, this is the best of the litter. Really nice flyer on this one. I had to work hard for that...... Pretty happy.

47 - 2X, I think..

Orlando
September 5, 2010, 12:56 PM
Good job, looks like a 46 3x to me. What say ye Mav?

What scope rings do you have on your Kimber ??

Clint C
September 5, 2010, 01:06 PM
I printed off the target for 50/100 mag class. I will try to get to my range and see what I can do. Would anyone care if I copied the target in all black? We have a copier at work that only copies in black, and would save me money if I could copy these at work rather than print off my little printer at home. I just bought new ink for my printer and it cost me $60.00!:eek:

Maverick223
September 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
Good job, looks like a 46 3x to me. What say ye Mav?I think he cut the 8 ring on the farthest one out, so it appears to be a 47-3X to me. Another good looking target, John.

I printed off the target for 50/100 mag class. I will try to get to my range and see what I can do. Would anyone care if I copied the target in all black?Not at all, my color printer is down so I printed it in grayscale myself.

Clint C
September 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
Well we are having 30mph winds right now so I am going to give it a chance to settle down before shooting. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for the shoot. Only problem is tomorrow the mud bog races are at the county fair!

Orlando
September 5, 2010, 03:05 PM
Right you are Mav but a 3X instead of a 2X for sure

johnmcl
September 5, 2010, 03:07 PM
Clint and Maverick,

Thanks for straightening my scoring out. I had a lot of fun on this target set. If there's time tomorrow, and it is as nice, I may take a second run at it.

Clint: I have 11mm Leupold rings, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=652956 . The Kimbers are a lot of fun, but they have Anschutz-like 11mm grooves in the receiver. It was a bit of work to find the right kind. The decision came down to these or Talley rings as I remember.

Once again, guys, thanks for running this shoot. Load's o' fun.

Clint C
September 5, 2010, 05:42 PM
I think you mean Orlando not Clint.

johnmcl
September 5, 2010, 07:12 PM
Clint,

So many rifle experts..... I get confused... :)

Heavies
September 5, 2010, 09:44 PM
johnmcl,
Nice shooting! Looks like 3X's to me.

Clint C
September 6, 2010, 05:45 PM
Rifle: Browning A-Bolt (Sporter)
Sights: P.O.S. Simmons 3-9x33
Distance: 50 yards
Position: Sitting on my butt
Amunition: Remington Golden Bullet 40gr. RN. The wind pushed all my target ammo all over so shot the Golden bullets with a bit more velocity.
Score: 44-2x
Weather: 10mph wind, with 38MPH GUST! 86 DEG, sunny one moment rainy the next.
First THR rimfire comp that I have lost! :fire:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/cacyhupp/IMG_2869.jpg

Orlando
September 6, 2010, 05:48 PM
With that kind of bad winds you should be pretty happy
What ammo you using??

Clint C
September 6, 2010, 05:55 PM
Just edited for the Ammo I used. It was Remington Golden bullets that I ran through my rim gauge. I tried Eley, and Green Tag but the wind just pushed them all over. To slow or something with the high winds.
The rifle likes the Golden Bullets, but I haven't really tried to find out what it likes. It's my squirrel gun and the Golden Bullets do a good job of killing the squirrels.

My A-bolt, a real beauty!:cool:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/cacyhupp/IMG_0876.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/cacyhupp/IMG_0881.jpg

shootr
September 6, 2010, 08:17 PM
I had a three-hour window and so got out this afternoon and shot the two Sporter targets. The day started good, but then it began to rain while I was at the range.

The Unlimited target was shot about two weeks ago, just too busy to remember to get it out of my shooting gear, bring it to the office and scan it.

The target scored 41 is Sporter, scoped, prone - Ruger 10/22 totally stock and generic Winchester "Target" ammo (comes 550 or 525 to the box at places like WalMart.) That rifle seems to really like the plain-jane stuff.

Target scored 43 - Marlin 39A, peeps sitting. Got inspired to shoot the Marlin from someone else's post here!! Can't bring myself to put sling swivels on it so just went "freehand" sitting with elbows on knees.

Target scored 49 - Kimber 82G, scoped, bench. A breezy, rainy day where every target had a flyer or two.

Looking through these posts, looks like we had a nice turnout and some great targets!

Maverick223
September 7, 2010, 12:06 AM
Great shooting, glad you guys were able to make use of the extra time allotted. Though I doubt there will be any further submissions, I will hold off tallying the results till tomorrow, considering that the left coast still has a few hours remaining.

Maverick223
September 7, 2010, 10:46 AM
MAGNIFIED DIVISION:
50yd. Sporting Class:
1st: Maverick223 (50pts)
2nd: Heavies (45pts)
3rd: Clint C (44pts)
Honorable Mentions: shootr (41pts)
100yd. Target Class
1st: shootr (49pts)
2nd: Tie between P51D & Maverick223 (48pts)
Honorable Mentions: Heavies (47pts) & johnmcl (47pts)

NON-MAGNIFIED DIVISION:
50yd. Sporting Class:
1st: Orlando (50-2x)
2nd: johnmcl (50-1x)
3rd: shootr (43pts)
Honorable Mentions: happygeek (28pts)
100yd. Target Class
1st: Orlando (49pts)

Great shooting folks; thank you all for joining in and I hope to see you in the next match which will be added shortly.

baldeagle93
September 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
Well, I did get to shoot but my target was not worth posting...had some scope and wind issues. Good job guys!

Maverick223
September 7, 2010, 12:22 PM
Eh, post it anyway...the answer is always "post it anyway". :p

BTW, next month's match is up and running, here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=542802)...just forgot to add a link. This one is going to be a "short session" due to the overrun this month, but it still promises to be an interesting match.

baldeagle93
September 7, 2010, 06:29 PM
Here are targets for myself, LT and another friend who I have suckered on to THR shortly (usually Gunny or Wheels, but those names are not available, yet to know what he shall choose)...

Not a great day shooting...we had previously attempted to dove hunt, but spent the morning enjoying the beautiful creation that God has given us and no killing of birds took place. We later shot skeet and then proceeded to shoot the August Rimfire Match. Of course we waited until there was some wind :banghead:, just to make it interesting. I'm claiming I was jacked up on Mt. Dew...sounds reasonable doesn't it :confused:

Not good enough for even honorable mention, but we are honorable (and humble enough) to post anyway...even late.

Thanks for having the matches mavrick, it's worth keeping us having some great fun!

Maverick223
September 7, 2010, 08:38 PM
Not good enough for even honorable mention, but we are honorable (and humble enough) to post anyway...even late.Nonsense, everyone is an honorable mention here, even if you are a day late and a shot short (though it didn't look too shabby to me). Thanks for joining in, and wish you well in the ongoing Sept. match.

If you enjoyed reading about "August Rimfire Match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!