Tumblers

PDA

Brad5192
August 1, 2010, 07:13 PM
As any one use or know of some one that as use a Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator.

Would like to know if they are good or not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumblers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EddieNFL
August 1, 2010, 07:17 PM
I have a Midway (I believe Frankford made them). It works okay. Doesn't move the brass as quickly as my Lyman.

Brad5192
August 1, 2010, 07:30 PM
Well i guess i'm look for a good tumble.

kis2
August 1, 2010, 07:37 PM
i dont use the separator, i just dig them out, but my frankford works like a champ so far. normally i leave my .308 brass in there for about 2hrs to get them shiny. i recommend it for the money.

Memnok
August 1, 2010, 07:43 PM
I got the Lyman 1200 Auto-Flo and it seems to work, although I have nothing to compare it to. I've found that just pulling the plug will not drain away all the media, lots still remains in the cases. But stirring it around for a minute or two will usually gets nearly all of it to drain. It comes with a black plastic tub to catch the media, and a couple bags of treated corn cob to start. The only thing I can think of to make it better would be a longer spout to drain the media further into the collection tub.

juk
August 1, 2010, 08:22 PM
I have that exact kit and have had zero problems in almost 2 years. In fact, it's running right now. I also have nothing to compare it to, but for the money, it gets the job done well. I'm sure there are better out there, but this one cleans my brass just fine.

bds
August 1, 2010, 08:23 PM
I used both old and new Frankford Arsenal tumbler and media separator kits.

Good: The new kit has larger capacity (800 9mm) with clear plastic top so you can see the tumbling progress and has a convenient in-line on/off switch. The tumbler is quieter than the old one and works well.

Bad: Costs $52. New FA tumbler comes with short power cord (like 2.5 feet) and you have to use it near a power plug - not very convenient. The new kit's media separator is smaller than the old one and is "roundish" sized to fit inside the 3 gallon bucket it comes with. It has "wings" that clip unto the bucket lip to keep the media particle from flying all over the place, but really does not do a good job. You have to carefully turn the media separator slowly to keep most of the media inside the bucket wings. The older media separator was a larger unit that's similar to Cabelas's separator without the top lid and works well.

If you want just the tumbler, new FA tumbler from MidwayUSA is not bad. If you want a better tumbler and media separator, check out the Cabela's tumbler and rotary media separator - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=pod&id=0012554&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=cabelas%20tumbler&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080

Cabela's tumbler has even higher capacity (1000 9mm, 800 40S&W, 600 45ACP), larger quieter motor, longer power cord (5.5 feet) with in-line on/off switch and large plastic knob for clear top instead of a wing nut. Cabela's tumbler costs less at $49, so unless FA tumbler is on sale, it's a no brainer.

Cabela's rotary media separator ($29) fits on any 3 or 5 gallon bucket and comes with a top lid so no media particles fly out will hold 2000 9mm cases.

I highly recommend both.

Jwbfx4
August 1, 2010, 08:56 PM
At work we use to have the Frankford arsenal tumbler. It always seemed to work good, I had no complaints.

But I have to say I really like the cabelas tumbler, plus its got good reviews.

reloader492
August 1, 2010, 09:18 PM
Got one and it does a great job.Also have a lyman,a midway, and a harbor freight.I like the Frankford arsenal over the other three.I bought the kit and like it except for the media seperator.I use a RCBS media seperator.

Sin City Shootist
August 1, 2010, 10:22 PM
I use a FA separator. Its made cheap and its flimsy, but it works pretty good.

Hondo 60
August 1, 2010, 11:27 PM
Also have a lyman,a midway, and a harbor freight.I like the Frankford arsenal over the other three.

sorry reloader but it drives me nuts when ppl make statements like this but then don't say WHY. Why do like the FA over the other brand names??????? Just my pet peeve

ArchAngelCD
August 1, 2010, 11:58 PM
I recently bought a Cabela's Tumbler (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon&id=0012554212867a&navCount=1&podId=0012554&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=2146251080&parentType=&indexId=cat20853&hasJS=true) and I'm very happy with it. The price is right, it's quiet and it works quickly. Everyone I spoke to who has one told me to buy it and IMO they were right...

reloader492
August 2, 2010, 04:12 AM
The FA tumbler is quiet and you can see the movement through the clear top.Also has a large cap.

472x1A/B
August 2, 2010, 06:58 PM
Can't answer your question about the tumbler of your choice. But, for what it's worth, I have a Thumler's Tumbler, model Ultra-Vibe 18, I bought in Santa Maria Ca. in Mar. 1987 for $129.00.I have used this tumbler since that date with no problems what so ever. It is very quiet, has a tight fitting lid, and will hold just as much brass as any other tumbler. I use lizard litter with Dillon rapid polish 290 every 3rd load. I have run well over 40,000 pices of brass through this tumbler. Thumler's makes good tumblers.

bamacisa
August 2, 2010, 08:17 PM
Midway has had a lot of trouble with the Frankford tumbler, I have gone through two. To be honest, I would not buy one, Check out the ratings on the FA tumbler on the Midway site.

ranger335v
August 2, 2010, 08:37 PM
The working part of a tumbler is the motor. So far as I can tell, all the common tumblers use virtually the same motors, cheap shaded pole induction motors with cheap bronze bearings. Exactly the same motor is used in bath and kithcen hood exhausts. It's luck of the draw, not the brand, that determines how long any of those motors will last.

It will help, a lot, if the user takes them apart at least once a year to clean and re-oil the bearings with a slow drying, non-gumming light oil (do NOT use WD-40!). I use Automatic Transmission Fluid with good results. It's a good gun and reel oil too.

Shadow 7D
August 2, 2010, 09:42 PM
What about the rubber rock tumblers from harbor freight, about the same price, you can use them with liquid or media, and as much or more capacity, I have been hankering for one of them for a while.

giggitygiggity
August 2, 2010, 10:07 PM
Get the Cabelas brand kit from Cabelas. It is like $60 and works great. Has everything you need.

Jech
August 2, 2010, 11:21 PM
Up front, I have to state that I haven't used any other tumblers so take my comments as you will but you can add another name to the list of folks who own and love the Frankford Arsenal tumbler.

Some features I really appreciate are...
- See-through but unvented lid (keeps the nasty lead-laden dust to a minimum)
- Quiet operating volume (except for that one pesky case that like to rattle against the bolt in the center :P)
- Capacity is sufficient for anything I'd ever need to do
- Power switch...not sure why other tumblers don't have one O_o
- Short power cord...some people don't like this but I see it as a blessing, it's less for me to wrap around it at the end of the day. If it doesn't reach a power outlet, that's why I own extension cords :)

~ Jech

Hondo 60
August 2, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have a Lyman 1200 Turbo. Like most i don't have anything to compare it too. The only negative on this is that it didn't have an in-line on/off switch. So I made a short extension cord & put a switch in it. Other than that it's worked great.

I accidentally left it on the workbench one day & it walked it self off. Broke the cover & bent the threaded rod. A quick call to Lyman & for $11 sent a new rod & cover. That was 6 months ago. Still works great!

Sidewinder72
August 3, 2010, 07:22 AM
Berrys makes a good tumbler too. Clear lid and large bowl. Mine has been used hard for about 12 years. It is noisy, but most are.

Rollis R. Karvellis
August 3, 2010, 10:01 AM
I have two F.A., and there have been times were they have been left on for day's, and they are still working well.

mmorris
August 4, 2010, 04:55 PM
Jech
Quiet operating volume (except for that one pesky case that like to rattle against the bolt in the center.

Slip a plastic drinking straw over the threaded rod. Cut the straw to the correct length to allow the lid to bend down as usual when the nut is tightened. No more case rattle.

Not my idea... don't remember who's :)

Jech
August 4, 2010, 08:26 PM
Slip a plastic drinking straw over the threaded rod. Cut the straw to the correct length to allow the lid to bend down as usual when the nut is tightened. No more case rattle.

Not my idea... don't remember who's :)
IMO, you should post that in the "clever inventions/discoveries" sticky thread...works great!

~ Jech

1SOW
August 4, 2010, 10:18 PM
Go with Cabellas, clear lid, on-off switch and fairly quiet, works well and comes with a separator and polish.

Hey_Allen
August 6, 2010, 02:35 AM
I have that same FA kit.

I like the tumbler overall, and as it's been said, it's nice having the closed clear lid.
As to quiet, I may have been getting more noise due to the slab of my apartment balcony, but mine was pretty loud, just the rumble that it transmitted through the floor.

The case separator is something that I seldom use at all though. The baffles that are supposed to attach to the bucket kept catching the separator cage and either tipping or stopping the cage.
I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I keep intending to buy one of the case separator colanders, but I may just go buy a large colander from a cooking supplies shop instead.

Berry's MFG
August 6, 2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the nod on our Tumbler. You can't go wrong with the Cabela's tumbler, the motor is guaranteed for three years and the plastic is lifetime. When you fill out the warranty card you will notice you mail it to Berry's

HOWARD J
August 6, 2010, 12:26 PM
I have a Lyman tumbler that is approx 35 years old---still runs good
A thumblers tumbler about the same age---full of dust--too much trouble taking wingnuts off everytime you use it.
An RCBS tumbler--motor burned out after 15 years.
Another Lyman--20 years old---went out of balance--quit using it.
A Hornady tumbler---too new to tell ( looks like a RCBS )
Good luck with whatever you buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmorris
August 6, 2010, 03:46 PM
I located the source for my suggestion, and it's post #203 by heypete in the "clever inventions/discoveries" sticky thread.

November 19, 2007, 11:51 PM #203

heypete

My Frankford Arsenal tumbler has a threaded metal shaft in the middle. This shaft allows one to attach the clear plastic cover to the bowl by using a wingnut.

Unfortunately, brass hitting the shaft cause a fair amount of metal-on-metal noise that is most annoying. By cutting a drinking straw to the proper length and slipping it over the shaft, the noise is greatly reduced while still allowing me to tighten wingnut and secure the lid.

Works for me ;)

bds
August 6, 2010, 05:11 PM
Jay, I had a sneaking suspicion that Cabela's green tumbler looked strikingly similar to Berry's blue tumbler - like W231/HP38, it's confirmed to be the same tumbler after all. :D

Great tumbler by the way, quiet and tumbles a lot of brass.

bds
August 8, 2010, 07:54 AM
And happy to support another domestic manufacturing company (http://briankevinnelson.com/a-tour-to-berrys-mfg-80) who employs veterans - you'll get my business whenever possible over a distributor selling "foreign" equipment.

After meeting with the manager, Ross Hart, with whom I had arranged the tour in advance, we went onto the Berry’s production floor. To our surprise, the first thing we saw were plastic Injection Molding machines, which were busy making the bowls for the Berry’s Vibratory Case Cleanser. Ross explained to us that Berry’s makes all the components for their products except the electric motors for the case cleaner, and that the Injection Molding machines were not only for making one part. The molding machines also make the flex tips for some of their rifle bullets, which are also sold to other bullet companies such as Barnes Bullets. Berry’s does all of the plastics for Cabela’s brand products as well as doing custom Injection Molding for local businesses.

As we moved to the next building, Ross turned us over to the man in charge of the Electroplating process, a retired Marine Corps sniper and Desert Storm veteran ...

... the new building will also have a “clean” room, where Berry’s makes medical supplies and prosthetic limbs.

ranger335v
August 8, 2010, 09:06 AM
"Would like to know if (Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator) are good or not?

Well, if I remember correctly, they've been selling them for some 18-20 years. Hardly seems likely they could be still doing so if they weren't useful.

Actually, protests aside, there's little average difference in any vib tumblers. They have a plastic bowl, lid and base, a few springs, a cheap electric motor and a power cord. Not much there and the motor is the weak link, they all use motors from the lowest cost source and today that seems to be China.

bds
August 8, 2010, 10:07 AM
the motor is the weak link
I agree. The motor in the Cabela's 400 (Berry's 400) tumbler is a larger unit with a large cooling fan (W&W model YJF61/26 (http://wwmotor.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825275863/pdtl/Shaded-pole/1011118164/Shaded-Pole-Motor.htm)). Although it is made in China, I imagine even the higher end vibratory tumblers (Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler) use motors made in China. I think you need to go industrial before you see motors made in USA but they are costly - http://www.candmtopline.com/vibratory.html#fluid

http://akamai.globalsources.com.edgesuite.net/f/593/3445/5d/pdt.static.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/SMALL/164/S1011118164.jpg

rtpzwms
August 8, 2010, 10:21 AM
I have a Thumler's Tumbler, model Ultra-Vibe 18 I had to replace the motor about a year ago but I've had the thing since the early 80's. Clear plastic might be great to watch the brass roll around in but will it still be used in 30 years? I have a clock and know how long it takes to get clean brass and I don't want to watch it. I think watching brass tumble would be as much fun as watching laundry. Buy a good product once not twice keep it longer and use it often.

flashhole
August 8, 2010, 11:51 AM
I recently picked up a Lyman model 2200 with the auto flo feature. I've processed about a dozen batches of brass using walnut media and some brass polish. It works great. Mine has an on/off switch on the housing and it has a clear plastic lid. It's surprisingly quiet. I discovered the noise is tunable with the locking nut that holds the main bowl to the housing. I bought mine here.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/lyman-2200-auto-flo-reg-tumblers.html

jcwit
August 8, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have a Thumler's Tumbler, model Ultra-Vibe 18 I had to replace the motor about a year ago but I've had the thing since the early 80's. Clear plastic might be great to watch the brass roll around in but will it still be used in 30 years? I have a clock and know how long it takes to get clean brass and I don't want to watch it. I think watching brass tumble would be as much fun as watching laundry. Buy a good product once not twice keep it longer and use it often.

Not disagreeing with you, just giving another outlook on this. First I really doubt I'll ever wear out my Cabelas/Berry tumbler, its now over 10 years old and has tumbled 100's of thousands of cases, both andgun and rifle. But if it should sometime go bad before I do, I'll have a Bright Shiney New one, instead of the same old dusty one. Plus the cost of two Cabelas/Berry tumblers do not even come close to one Thumblers Tumbler.

Just a different way of looking at it.

flashhole
August 8, 2010, 12:59 PM
The Thumbler's tumblers are insanely expensive for a reloader. Maybe the cost is justified if you are tumbling rocks but brass cases are not that hard on a tumbler.

rtpzwms
August 8, 2010, 06:50 PM
yea but... remember that thirty years ago the choices of what we could get were somewhat limited and the cost of the tumbler then is not what it is today. Although throwing one out and buying a new one is not a "bad" thing it does have an effect on landfill. To fix mine was less than the cost of a new one. And I don't think I'll be judged by my tumbler but the quality of the clean brass it produces. I think back then the Lyman tumbler was 10 bucks less than Thumbler's and they were out of stock when I bought mine.

ranger335v
August 8, 2010, 07:19 PM
"I keep intending to buy one of the case separator colanders, but I may just go buy a large colander from a cooking supplies shop instead."

Allen, go to a Dollar General Store and get an expanded mesh office type waste paper basket instead. Mine works great and only cost me a buck. I stick it into a clean 5 gal. plastic paint bucket, pour in the tumbler contents and spin the basket a few time, no more media in the cases. I store my media loose in the same bucket so it does't really eat up a lot of storage space in my loading room.

flashhole
August 8, 2010, 07:56 PM
rtpzwms - (what the heck kind of a handle is that), I'm not criticizing your choice. I'd love to have one but today they retail for a lot of money. Generally you see the manufacturers pretty close in price for the same quality. Are they that much better?

jcwit
August 8, 2010, 08:09 PM
rtpzwms--I wasn't criticizing or judging you either, just giving a different outlook.

rtpzwms
August 8, 2010, 08:39 PM
handle is a combination of first middle and last for wife and I. Not taken as criticizing just explaining the difference in time. Pre internet if you saw one on the shelf in the store that was great otherwise you had to call EVERYBODY or see it in a rag somewhere. Times have changed some better some not so much. BTY tumblers are cheaper now than when I bought mine! Are they that much better not really but all metal with springs and you can buy replacement parts with a call. On the new fangled ones I just wonder how long will they last with all that plastic? I do like some of the dump tubes on the new ones maybe they will have an upgraded bowl for mine?! LOL

MYREDTAIL
August 9, 2010, 12:34 AM
Bought a Lyman about 30 yrs ago when I first got into reloading & still have & use it with no problem's it is a work horse of a tumbler.

rtpzwms
August 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
MYREDTAIL, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay 30 years ago? I think mine was $90-100 dollars back then.

roc1
August 9, 2010, 10:45 AM
My Midway separator and tumbler works great. I have used mine for several years with no problems. I have mine set to run every Monday night for a 1 1/2hrs automatically. I use it weekly and have run thousands of rounds through it. Great product could not do without the separator now makes it a lot faster.
roc1

Berry's MFG
August 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately our choice of manufacturers making a C-frame motor in the USA are down to one, and the cost of the motor would make the cost of the product go up by nearly 40%! That would price our product out of a very competitive market. We have to compete with manufacturers that are having their whole product made in China. We have been able to keep it to the motor and cord that are made offshore in China, all the plastic components are made by us in Utah.

Brad5192
August 9, 2010, 01:50 PM
In the end I believe i will buy the Cabelas tumble.

Thank you all for your input.

Berry's MFG
August 9, 2010, 03:58 PM
Maybe I ought to raffle off a one of a kind colored tumbler with the proceeds going to the forum. I've got a handfull of odd colored bowls I can use.

rtpzwms
August 9, 2010, 04:50 PM
Bring on the raffle! Or just send one to Brad for starting all of this!

flashhole
August 9, 2010, 05:15 PM
OK, I'll participate as long as you don't give reference to a "Rainbow" selection. It will give this forum a bad name and scare away participants. Political correctness is not the order of the day.

kennedy
August 9, 2010, 10:05 PM
I like my frankford kit, I think the trick to long life is not to over fill them, I did that once and I smelled the motor burning, backed off real fast.

Brad5192
August 10, 2010, 06:45 AM
I'm game for a raffle or a tumbler.

rattletrap1970
August 10, 2010, 06:55 AM
I have an older Lyman with a clear top, the smaller of the two dillon's and a Frankford (which is the smallest). The Lyman is on it's way out and the Dillon gets kinda warm and doesn't seem to move like it used to. The Frankfort seems to vibrate more sharply (for lack of a better description). Very tight fast vibration. Seems to do it's work faster then the other two. I'm thinking of just getting my hands on a very small industrial tumbler.

Win1892
August 11, 2010, 10:03 PM
My Midway tumbler, prior to Frankford branding, failed right out of the box 8 years ago. They replaced it.

My Cabelas tumbler is faster with faster "roll" of contents. The Midway cleans just as well.

At least 250,000 cases in 8 years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumblers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!