Leading question

PDA

Swift
August 1, 2010, 07:15 PM
I just got done cleaning my Kimber after shooting my first .45 reloads through it. I'm loading Missouri Bullet's 230 grain softballs with 4.1 grains of WST. I loaded five up and everything cycled well so I loaded up another fifty and went to the range this weekend. Had a lot of fun. Everything cycled the action and returned to battery fine. Accuracy was as good as I'm able to shoot (I'm more of a varmint rifle shooter, just getting started with pistol). When I cleaned it tonight I noticed some leading in the first inch or so of the rifling. I got it clean without much trouble, but I'm thinking that after only 50-60 shots it seemed like a lot. I'm on the bottom end of Winchesters range for WST(4.0-4.5 grains). Would it be a good idea to try increasing the charge or will I make the leading worse? Sorry for the dumb questions but you guys have been a great help so far. I really appreciate your help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Leading question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shootinxd
August 1, 2010, 07:40 PM
All the answers can be found at castboolits.com.More information than one human brain can absorb.Been there,done that.Its along trip, worth the time I think.

bds
August 1, 2010, 07:58 PM
Ok, here's a short answer.

If you are shooting 18 BHN MBC lead bullet and getting leading near the chamber end with the starting load, you are probably not generating enough pressure to obturate the base of the bullet (base of the bullet bumps out to seal against the rifling) and thereby gas cutting the bullet and leading the chamber end of the barrel.

Try some test rounds at higher charge loads and see if the leading decreases. I loaded W231/HP38 for Kimber stainless with 4.9 gr (mid-range+ load data) and there is no leading in the barrel.

Walkalong
August 1, 2010, 08:21 PM
as bds posted, the 18 BHN bullet is much harder than needed, and is the cause of the leading at that pressure level.

Lead in the first inch of the barrel is from lead cutting which comes from the bullet not sealing the bore well. That could be too hard of a bullet, or just not enough pressure, or an undersized bullet without enough pressure.

Increase the charge a little. Say .1 Grs at a time until the leading disappears.

I am guessing that the bullet is a hair smaller than optimum for your chamber/bore, or it might not lead anyway.

The easy cure is enough pressure for the bullet you have, which might (probably) get you in a velocity/recoil range you weren't looking for, or just get the 12 BHN bullets next time.

12 BHN should work just fine with your light load of WST.

Excellent powder by the way. I really like it with the Berrys 185 GR SWC or HBRN for shooting in my 25-2. (.1 Gr more powder for the HBRN) Very light, very accurate, very clean.

R.Clem
August 1, 2010, 08:23 PM
If you increase the charge it will bump the base of the bullet out to fill the grooves better and should eliminate the hot gases from getting past the base and eroding the sides of the bullet and leaving lead in the bore.
If the problem persists as you increase the powder charge, the alternative may be to go to a soft lube which in some cases, lubricates the bore better than hard lube used by most commercial casters.
Next is hard cast bullets, I like them, but then I cast my own and they are brick hard, BN15 or more. These don't lead the bore of any of my revolvers, even at max velocity.
You may be able to find bullets with gas checks, but I don't remember seeing any for the ACP.

Ray

Dannix
August 1, 2010, 11:17 PM
Swift, be sure to slug your barrel so you know if you're boolits are big enough (you want your boolits to be .001-.003 over). Also, remember harder =/= better when it comes to leading.

If you need something to slug with. You could more than likely find some fishing weights locally that would do the trick, just make sure they are pure lead.
https://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/slug.htm

Edit: One thread on slugging your barrel. I'm sure you could find others, but hopefully this will get you started.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87625&highlight=slugging+barrel

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Leading question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!