Ruger Grip replacement. Will these work?

PDA

Eb1
August 1, 2010, 11:45 PM
I ordered these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=781093

For this revolver: http://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkStandard/specSheets/0811.html

This is what was recommended to me. Did I purchase right? Are they hard to replace?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Grip replacement. Will these work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CraigC
August 2, 2010, 12:13 AM
Not my cup of tea but as long as you have the 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" version, it is the right one. They are easy to install.

Eb1
August 2, 2010, 12:24 AM
Don't know if they are mine either. I am looking for a little larger grip. I am not one for finger grooves usually, and I hate the look, but if they help with controlling the revolver, and help with repeat grip placement then I should see an increase in accuracy.

I love the look of the wooden grip, but I need to have the best accuracy possible, and like I said if they help then good, and if they do not then $18 is not a huge loss. I will just sell them if I do not like them.

CraigC
August 2, 2010, 12:39 PM
I've got a 4 5/8" model and the factory XR3-RED grip frame (like yours) beat me up. I'm really at my limit at 1000-1200fps with it. Ended up converting it to a Bisley and found all-day shooting comfort. I then had David Clements spiff it up a little.
http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/blackriver905/large/P1010062.JPG

Leadhead
August 2, 2010, 01:51 PM
I like the larger grip frame Ruger puts on the Superblackhawk Hunter model.
I have no idea why they don't make it an option on the other SuperBlackhawks and even some of the Blackhawks...?
Here's a picture of a larger Superblackhawk frame and a smaller XR-3 Red frame,
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-Hunters/MVC-010F.jpg

Eb1
August 2, 2010, 03:22 PM
I do have a Super Blackhawk, but yes, it does have the smaller grips. My order has shipped with the newer, larger grips from Hogue.
I hope I can get them on.

Eb1
August 4, 2010, 09:01 PM
I thought I would update with the grips on. They were not hard to put on. Thanks for the confidence.
I called a local shop, and the gentleman wanted $10 to put them on, and for the time it took me that came out to $20/hr. A decent living, but I wanted to give them a try. Every little bit saved counts.

I think the grips are kinda ugly, but I figure they will do better in the field. They will not scratch as easy. They are rubber. :rolleyes:

I do not have large hands, but these grips give me a much more positive grip on this large gun. The grip raise the sights to eye level better, and they also allow me to actually keep my hand from riding up the back strap of the revolver.

Now to just load up some of the loadings that looked promising, and go to the range and shoot the gun. Hopefully accuracy will increase.

ThePunisher'sArmory
August 4, 2010, 09:20 PM
Some think these are ugly. I however do not and put Hogue grips on every pistola I own. I put this grip on a single six and they allow for a greater purchase on the grip. This gun will just stick to your hand now. Not as pretty as wood, but you will love them!

Big Bill
August 5, 2010, 07:57 PM
NO IT will not work. I tried one on my Ruger (New Model) Blackhawk. It doesn't fit the New Model Blackhawk. All you will end up doing is screwing up the bottom metal strap on the handle. Don't even attempt to install it. If you insist, I'll gladly send you mine for free. Besides, it looks like crap if you somehow do somehow manage to get it installed.

BTW, I called Hogue and they told me it wasn't designed for the New Model Blackhawks; and, they could have cared less that it screwed-up my gun. They just told me to send it back, but I had had it for awhile before I tried to install it. They should definately tell people it doesn't work.

This is from Midway's about this grip:
Mathias Langley of Fort Collins, CODate posted: 8/5/2008CAUTION: If you buy a new model Ruger Blackhawk with the safety lock in the handle, this grip will not fit without some modification and fiddling around. I contacted Hogue and they said that at the time they had no plans to change the grip to fit the new locking mechanism. It WILL work, but it's not as simple as just putting it on. Just thought this information should be out there. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=781093 BTW, it's a great idea to always read the reviews before you buy.

Eb1
August 5, 2010, 10:27 PM
It went on fine without issue, and the back strap is not sticking out it fits flush. Where and how does it not work? I do not have a safety lock in my grip. Did you have a safety lock in your grip?

Can you please explain how the grip did not fit? Pointing to one post @ Midwayusa.com doesn't describe the problem you had, and it also doesn't relate to the type grip I have as it would appear that I do not have a locking device in my grip handle.

Thank you.

From Ruger's Website: http://shopruger.com/Hogue-Rubber-Grip-Blackhawk/productinfo/19911/

Detailed Description
Hogue® Rubber grips provide a secure handhold with an ergonomic shape. Grips DO NOT have the Ruger® logo. Fits the Ruger® Single Six®, New Model Single Six®, Blackhawk®, Super Blackhawk®, Vaquero®. Inclues pins. DOES NOT fit a square Trigger guard, the New Vaquero® and the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk®.

I called Ruger and Hogue before I ordered. They both recommended that this is the Hogue replacement for my gun.

I would also like to add that this gun will be used and abused. This revolver will be second to only my Heritage as far as rounds down the barrel. I plan to shoot this gun as much as I can. With the 240 LSWC from MCB shooting decent and without leading, fairly accurately, I can tell you that looks have become second place. I have discussed this with another forum member. It is a call of function over form.
Agreed that I might not like these grips, but I will not know until I try, and if I do not like them, I will replace them with something else, but not the stock grips.

Big Bill
August 6, 2010, 02:31 AM
Here are a couple of other comments from your link at Midway...Steve L of Richmond, VADate posted: 7/28/2006The stirrup would not fit my Single Six's grip frame (XRN-3RED) and had to be bent with pliers to get it on. Also, I cannot comfortably reach the hammer with my thumb using these grips, but I could with the old grips. This is probably just because I have freakishly small hands, though. Other than that, the monogrips are good products. This is the third monogrip I’ve used and I love the way they look, feel and handle. This one, for me, is just a LITTLE awkward to use, but I would still give it a 5 star rating. Jim Nicoletti of Piscataway, NJDate posted: 7/9/2010The grips themselves are very nice and comfortable. I only gave them 3 stars because they don't fit the latest Single Six and that information isn't included in the description. I can slide the grips onto the frame but can’t position the stirrup to keep them in place securely. After several unsuccessful attempts, including drilling some holes in the frame, I finally contacted Hogue by e-mail and got a quick reply: “Unfortunately these grips will not work with the new models. Ruger has changed the configuration of the grip frame by installing the locking mechanism. This change has made it so there is no way to install the stirrup assembly.” It would have been nice to know that before I bought these grips. It’s a good product, just suitable not for this gun despite the description. Here are two more...K C of Walnut, CA, Date posted: 7/24/2009 - Does not fit my brand-new sts blackhawk. Around 1/8" of the backstrap was sticking out. I've read from a few forums that the stainless blackhawk frames have more variation than the blued ones. I called Hogue about this, they sent me another one to try but still a no go. Was this review helpful?

Bob DeKeulenaere of North Port, FL, Date posted: 2/20/2010 - Does not properly fit Ruger New Model Blackhawk in Stainless Steel. If you have a stainless Blackhawk the backstrap sticks out beyond grip and will not fit properly. Avoid. Mfg should fix this problem. What a disappointment.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=781093

These posts at Midway explain better than I can, the problems I had with the grip. I couldn't get the stirrup to work and the screw damaged the bottom of my revolver handle and the backstrap stuck out about 1/4 to 3/8s of an inch. When I called Hogue, the woman I talked to was ignorant to me. So, because of the bad treatment and lack of info regarding how the grip wouldn't work with my gun, I'm never going to buy another Hogue product. Midway would probably have taken care of it, but I just didn't think it was their fault.

CraigC
August 6, 2010, 02:42 AM
A little bit of education goes a long way. The only issue is with the newer versions with the internal lock. If you have no internal lock, you have no issue. So far the internal lock has not made it into the stainless XR3-RED guns. In this case, a non-issue.

Eb1
August 6, 2010, 10:18 AM
My gun was created 4/26/10. It doesn't have the internal locking system. The grips went on fine by following the instructions. The back strap is flush as you can see in the picture I posted.

I appreciate you looking out for me, Big Bill. I don't think the comments you listed apply to me though. Wish I could have gotten you to send me the grips for free. :) Not a bad price at $19.00, but having them sent for cost of shipping would have been better.

Big Bill
August 9, 2010, 05:11 PM
About that grip, the bolt is detached from the stirrup, but other than that I think it's Ok. I tried real hard to install it right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Grip replacement. Will these work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!