Is this brass ok to reload?

PDA

Rmeju
August 2, 2010, 12:28 AM
I'm just getting into 10mm and haven't shot any yet, but I know it's a high pressure round. I got some of this brass in a trade and there were some kind of markings near the case mouths that didn't clean up with tumbling (see pic). Is this just dirt that isn't coming off or is it a sign that this brass has seen its last safe reload?

EDIT: you have to look petty close in the pics to see the markings. I'm not the best photographer and I'm not totally sure how to get my camera to focus on the cases when they're super close up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this brass ok to reload?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
August 2, 2010, 12:53 AM
Those "marks" look like small indents. That said the position of the marks doesn't seen to be near a part of the barrel that won't be totally supported so I would have to "guess" they will be fine to shoot. If you are worried about them and that little voice in your head is telling you not to shoot them, don't shoot them. We usually get ourselves in trouble when we don't listed to ourselves.

Otto
August 2, 2010, 01:25 AM
Based on a out of focus photo of a case with an unknown history, I would say "maybe".

Orange Boy
August 2, 2010, 04:03 AM
I'd toss 'em.

Ed Gallop
August 2, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'd resize them and if the defects show I would not reload them. I'm an old man and wisdom has taught me to listen to the voice in my head without question. Brass isn't that expensive.

JimKirk
August 2, 2010, 08:01 AM
All cameras or lens really, have a minimum focus distance(MFD), find that distance in the manual. Stay at least that distance from the object and zoom in until in focus, with some lens the MFD changes with the amount of zoom.

Get a better photograph and then we would know more about your brass, as is, it would only be a WILD guess.

Jimmy K

rattletrap1970
August 2, 2010, 08:09 AM
They look like dents across the shell, (kinda like the dents you get on 8mm brass when it ejects from a Hakim rifle and smacks the metal handle on the bolt cover). I generally toss out dented brass if it doesn't clean up during resizing.

Walkalong
August 2, 2010, 08:21 AM
Probably OK, but a better pic would really help. Looks like a dent from being ejected. It definitely won't last for many firings if it keeps getting dinged like that. Your gun? Fix the ejection so it won't beat up the brass so much.

243winxb
August 2, 2010, 09:34 AM
Looks like they were fired in a fluted chamber, Ok to reload. Had to download your photo to see it. Use the Macro setting to take closeups, if your camera has one. Googled it- Heckler & Koch firearm have fluted chambers.

rjrivero
August 2, 2010, 10:06 AM
I'd size them and load them. FWIW. They'll fire form to my pistol chambers and remove those ugly dents. ;)

Rmeju
August 2, 2010, 12:48 PM
Ok I'll try to get some better pics and post the question again. Fwiw, the marks are not dents, they seem to only be blemishes. I was just wondering if they indicated that this brass is at the end of its life.

243winxb
August 2, 2010, 01:20 PM
The Heckler and Koch P7 pistol (Koch is pronounced "coke) is one of the most unique ... What I find interesting in the design is the chamber has "flutes".Best i can do to fix his photo. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/flutes.jpg Dents are common and not a problem.:)

ReloaderFred
August 2, 2010, 01:21 PM
Load them with a moderate load and see how they hold up. I load 10mm all the time with dented cases and they iron out when fired. If it's just some kind of discoloration, as long as it's not deep corrosion, they'll be fine.

Hope this helps.

Fred

NCsmitty
August 2, 2010, 01:34 PM
Listen to Fred.

I see no reason to toss them without trying to load some. The dents will likely fill out when shot, at least good enough to use for plinking.

NCsmitty

DickM
August 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
What Fred said. BTW, they sure look like dents to me, especially on the right hand side of that case on the right.

Rmeju
August 2, 2010, 03:38 PM
My apologies. They are dented, of course, but that was not what I wad referring to. If you look up close near the case mouth you can see a burn pattern that looks a lot like rifling. I wasn't sure if if that was a sign of hard/improper use or just a cosmetic blemish that I need not worry about.

RmeJu

momchenr
August 2, 2010, 03:55 PM
I pick up range brass for my 45acp and have seen dings like that every now and then. The ones that don't resize out are okay. I think as long as you don't see an honest-to-god crease in these dents, you're okay to reload them. I don't take chances with .223 when it comes to dings like that, but 40 and 45 use modest pressures. I load lighter, snappy loads for handgun plinking and think that Id load and shoot the ones that you uploaded pictures of.

rcmodel
August 2, 2010, 04:09 PM
That is really odd.

It does indeed look like rifling marks on the case mouths.
Or HK type fluted chamber marks, only different.

To my knowledge, nobody has ever made a 10mm pistol with a fluted chamber.
And they would not possibly fit in a .40 S&W chamber deep enough to get into the rifling.

I have no idea what caused it.

I do not think it would be dangerous to reload them though.
Size them and see what comes out!

rc

ReloaderFred
August 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm wondering if the H&K MP-10 has a fluted chamber? I've never seen or fired one, so I'm just speculating. Our SWAT team had MP-5's, but it's been so long I can't remember if they had fluted chambers for the 9mm or not.

At any rate, the fluting marks won't affect reloadability.

Fred

rjrivero
August 2, 2010, 04:59 PM
Oh, you're talking the soot stripes? Don't worry about them. My P7M8 puts the same soot marks on my 9mm brass and they clean and load just fine. Sometimes it takes a little manual rub with NuFinish to get the soot off, or some extra time in the tumbler. No big deal AT ALL.

There is a guy I shoot 3 gun with who is in the FBI. He uses his ISSUE weapon every once in a while, a 10mm HK MP10. It makes those same marks. He doesn't reload, because his 3 gun is considered a tax write off for him. Not to mention, they don't let him shoot reloads through the Bureau's toys.

rcmodel
August 2, 2010, 05:01 PM
Bingo ReloaderFred!

I had forgot all about the H&K MP-10 10mm.
It did indeed have a fluted chamber.

rc

jak67429
August 2, 2010, 06:33 PM
I got some like that from a HK 45 they worked ok for a couple of loads then started to split.

243winxb
August 2, 2010, 09:44 PM
Web Photo http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/10333Chamber002.jpg http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/10333Chamber002.jpg

Rmeju
August 3, 2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone for helping me get to the bottom of this. You've all been both patient and knowledgeable!

RmeJu

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this brass ok to reload?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!