Newbie 12 gauge slug reloading questions.

PDA

GigaBuist
August 2, 2010, 08:48 PM
I did a quick search but didn't see many threads about slugs here so I'm starting a new one.

I've been reloading shells for trap and such for a bit over a year now. The other day I picked up some 1oz slugs to test in a coach gun and after tested them out realized two things:

1) It's stupid for me to be paying $0.75 - $1.00 for a slug shell. I could make them myself.
2) 1oz slugs at 1600fps out of a freaking coach gun HURT!

So, what's the easiest way for me to get started? I don't want to cast my own, rather just buy them. I've got a Lee Load All II so I'm pretty sure a roll crimp is out of the question unless there's a tool for it that's inexpensive. My powder selection currently consists of Unique, Red Dot, and a little bit of Promo. I suspect after looking at Lyman's shotshell reloading manual that I'm going to need a new (slower) powder.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie 12 gauge slug reloading questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
August 4, 2010, 04:37 PM
I bought the Lee 1 oz. slug mould. Casting is not really all that difficult. With this slug, you load them in a shotcup and use a standard 6 or 8 point crimp. I load them in Remington unibody hulls with 28 grains of Unique.

Don

ReloaderFred
August 4, 2010, 04:43 PM
I have the Lyman wasp waist mold and they make really accurate slugs that can be loaded into a standard hull, with standard wads and a star crimp.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rcmodel
August 4, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yep!

Both Lee and Lyman make slug molds that you load on standard reloading equipment using plastic shot-cup wads.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=148

The same company sells slugs all ready to load too.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=71

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie 12 gauge slug reloading questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!