Help Please - .223 into 38 Super

PDA

NoAlibi
August 3, 2010, 02:46 PM
Jeff Copper was known to use .223 brass in his 38 Super - known as the Super Cooper.

Can someone tell me how to inside ream the .223 case so a bullet can be seated without bulging the case? Thanks in advance.....Doc

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Please - .223 into 38 Super" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 3, 2010, 04:28 PM
You would have to have a Forster .355" inside neck reamer.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=623671

http://www.forsterproducts.com/client_images/catalog19938/pages/files/Neck_Reamers_NR1000-001.pdf

Seems like a lot of trouble when you can buy new Starline brass in .38 Super +P and .38 Super Comp.

rc

herohog
August 3, 2010, 04:36 PM
Buy 9mm WinMag (9x29mm) and be done with it! Otherwise, you have to fire-form the .223 brass and it may have extractor issues due to the slightly smaller rim dia. of the .223 brass. If that is to long, simply buy 9x23 Winchester which is NOT 9mm Largo but more on the order of the .38 Super only a bit hotter IIRC.

NoAlibi
August 3, 2010, 07:07 PM
herohog: simply buy 9x23 Winchester which is NOT 9mm Largo but more on the order of the .38 Super only a bit hotter IIRC.

I just bought a gun and a 9x23 conversion kit today and actually I was going to use the .223 brass to convert to the 9x23. I used the 38 Super as my example thinking that more people would have had experience with it and I would have a better chance of getting a response. :o

rcmodel: Seems like a lot of trouble when you can buy new Starline brass in .38 Super +P and .38 Super Comp.

Starline will sell me the 9 Super Comp brass for ~14 cents each delivered and I can handle that. However, I am an inveterate tinkerer and I also happen to have ~20,000 pieces of .223 brass in my inventory, so two forces of nature are coming together! Well, maybe three forces of nature - I also happen to be very frugal (read that as tightwad!). :D

I have a drill/mill/lathe and I thought having the info on a reamer I could make this a simple operation. Thanks for the links.....Doc

herohog
August 6, 2010, 03:29 AM
I cut down some .223 and used my 9mm Magnum dies to expand it out and it worked fine BUT, the head/rim area didn't come out centered/square with the bore as you would like. Fire forming MAY do a better job but I didn't try it. Like I said, with the smaller rim diameter, you may have to modify your extractor to get it to work properly with the .223 brass.

Please keep us posted and let us know how it works out if you try using the .223 brass!

ReloaderFred
August 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
I tried it a couple of years ago and found that it wasn't worth the time and effort involved. The finished product was less than satisfactory and I ended up scrapping the whole project.

As it turned out, Midway had a closeout on cases of factory Winchester primed 9x23 brass right about the same time, and it was a really, really good deal. I bought a case of the factory brass and filed the .223 to 9x23 conversion project in the "won't ever try that again" file.

Hope this helps.

Fred

NoAlibi
August 7, 2010, 01:02 AM
As herohog pointed out there is another obstacle. There appears to be only the slightest of taper in the 9x23 case, but it is much more pronounced in the .223. In order to use the reamer the .223 case would have to have its wall adjacent to the chamber. Forster recommends fire forming the case (which I refuse to do), but I think that I could make a mandrel that could do the job.

This is getting to be more complicated than itís worth as Fred and rc mentioned. So Iím going to shelf the project for a rainy day. I'm not giving up, but right now I have better use for my time - too many honey-dews hanging over my head.

I guess all these posts come under the heading of "measuring twice before sawing" and saved me some grief - thanks all.....Doc

jmorris
August 7, 2010, 09:18 AM
you have to fire-form the .223 brass and it may have extractor issues due to the slightly smaller rim dia.

I'll go with this one, .223 is smaller in diameter than even 9X19 and 38 super has a larget diameter than both.

Ol` Joe
August 7, 2010, 10:46 AM
Why go to the trouble of redoing some other case when proper head stamped high quality brass is available? just curious....

NoAlibi
August 7, 2010, 03:05 PM
Ol` Joe - Posts #3 & #4

rcmodel: "Seems like a lot of trouble when you can buy new Starline brass in .38 Super +P and .38 Super Comp."

NoAlibi: "Starline will sell me the 9 Super Comp brass for ~14 cents each delivered and I can handle that. However, I am an inveterate tinkerer and I also happen to have ~20,000 pieces of .223 brass in my inventory, so two forces of nature are coming together! Well, maybe three forces of nature - I also happen to be very frugal (read that as tightwad!).

I have a drill/mill/lathe and I thought having the info on a reamer I could make this a simple operation. Thanks for the links.....Doc"

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Please - .223 into 38 Super" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!