Newbe Q for you on re-sizing

PDA

Winter Borne
August 4, 2010, 12:38 PM
What is the limit you can "re-size" brass cartrages? I am looking to make blank ammo for my 30 carbine using .223 ammo cases. The .223 is 0.022" or (0.59mm) larger than the standard 30 Carbine case.

Is this too much for a resizer to handle? Is it too much to mill off and still have a safe case?

Thanks and please pardon my ignorance. I am as new as can be to re-loading.

mk

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbe Q for you on re-sizing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jcwit
August 4, 2010, 12:56 PM
I've never tried it but will later today as I have bunches of .233. Frankly I see no reason why it wouldn't work, be sure to lube the case good.

Dave P
August 4, 2010, 01:23 PM
You sure you want to make your own cases and blanks? With no previous reloading experience???

Sounds risky to me.

jcwit
August 4, 2010, 01:26 PM
Well I just tried it, its a go slow and try again all the way up or down "depending on how you look at it" till you get to the case web. Then it was no go. I think I'd search for some .30 carbine brass or rounds and pull them down.

Winter Borne
August 4, 2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks JC. I reciently inherited a huge collection of reloading equipment, and am looking for 30 carbine blanks so I put 1+1 and got 3...

Really appreciate you trying for me though.

mk

jcwit
August 4, 2010, 04:23 PM
I should have put it this way manbe. I was OK till I got about 1/8 inch of the shell holder touching the die. I also tried to chamber the resized case thinking it might work anyway, after it would be for blanks not high pressure loaded rounds. Still no go, bolt would not go to full battery.

Well, we gave it a shot any way, I suppose I could have chucked it in my lathe and turned the last 1/4 inch down, but I think thats going to alot of work when brass is available.

ranger335v
August 4, 2010, 07:21 PM
Within rational limits we can reform any part of a case forward of the head and web.

Winter Borne
August 5, 2010, 03:13 PM
JC, that was my thought too after I read your results (thanks again for trying), lathe the rear chamber and base the 0.022" and then re-size the remaining, but I agree it's far too much work when there are pre-made out there. My new plan is to get 50-100 carbine blanks, then police my brass as best I can and re-load those.

Any thoughts on how many times I can do that before the cases become too weak, or will they last "forever"?

mk

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbe Q for you on re-sizing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!