I made another rookie mistake with primers

PDA

Sin City Shootist
August 6, 2010, 12:11 AM
For some reason I keep making mistakes when buying primers:banghead:

Ok I'm loading for 40 S&W. I've been buying my primers locally and I made the mistake of picking up Remington No. 1 1/2 instead of the No. 5 1/2(only 500 so not to much of a loss). Can I use these or should I find someone to trade with?

Last time I clicked the wrong link at Powder Valley and ended up with Mag which worked ok.

Sheeesh, when will I learn.

If you enjoyed reading about "I made another rookie mistake with primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hey_Allen
August 6, 2010, 02:09 AM
I'm not sure about the interchangeability, but I found a chart that documents them...
http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

As to the usability, what does the load data call for? If it calls for SP mag primers, you may well need to get the right ones. Maybe find someone local to trade with?

Sport45
August 6, 2010, 03:15 AM
Hodgdon lists all of their .40S&W with SP primers. Does your load call for a mag primer, or is that just what you've been using?

jcwit
August 6, 2010, 06:33 AM
Use them, back your load down 5 to 10 % if you're loading close to the max. otherwise they'll work just fine. Heck I stock only SR and use it for everything, have long since worked up my loads.

Nothing to worry about, go for it.

Sin City Shootist
August 6, 2010, 03:34 PM
I was under the impression that these are the same as the 5 1/2 with the exception of the thickness of the cup and the 40 has a tendency to pierce the cup.

Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and use them.

If you enjoyed reading about "I made another rookie mistake with primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!