Ok, who's eaten predator?

PDA

wankerjake
August 8, 2010, 01:50 AM
Just curious. I know most people don't but the redneck in me makes me sample it. I hate wasting meat. I have it on pretty good authority than mountain lion is good. I've eaten bobcat twice and it is delicious-it really is a lot like pork. Like a cross between pork and rabbit. I made coyote tacos once, they were not great but certainly edible. More testing tomorrow...am I just crazy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, who's eaten predator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sumpnz
August 8, 2010, 02:00 AM
Never tried any predator meat (that I was aware of - had some mystery meat in Mexico a couple times, and some ethnic restaurants you can never be totally sure about). I've heard that cougar in like the best pork imaginable. If I see a cougar it'll get shot, and then I'll find out first hand if it's really that good.

cleardiddion
August 8, 2010, 04:06 AM
Does gator count?
That is good eating right there.

wankerjake
August 8, 2010, 04:50 AM
I'll count gators, they are meat eaters:D

bigfatdave
August 8, 2010, 07:19 AM
Rattlesnake

MCgunner
August 8, 2010, 07:34 AM
Fried rattler is decent. Turtles, most fish, even hogs are predators. Okay, well, the hogs are really omnivorous but they won't turn down a meal that has no cell wall in its structure (meat). Yeah, gator tail.

You can keep the skunks and such. I have a walmart down the street. I'll go pick up a T bone, thanks.

had some mystery meat in Mexico a couple times

Pero o gato. :D

Art Eatman
August 8, 2010, 07:39 AM
Barbecued cougar, yup. Fried rattlesnake, yup.

I was about to forget gator tail. Mac and Nell's fish camp restaurant, Orange Lake, Florida. Cafeteria style meals. $1.50 for fish, turtle soup, gator tail and veggies including iced tea and dessert. Course, that was fifty years ago. :)

At T's restaurant at Winnie, Texas has gator tail on the menu...

Roughneck08
August 8, 2010, 07:42 AM
Soft shelled snappin turtle is good eatin'!

MCgunner
August 8, 2010, 07:44 AM
We used to pay 3 bucks to get in to fish at a gator/bull frog farm between Damon and Rosharon, Texas. They raised gators for market.

And, frogs are sort of predators. Technically, I guess you could call them insectivores, though. I likes me some frog legs. :D

MCgunner
August 8, 2010, 07:48 AM
Oh, yeah, crawfish. In that vein, there are lots of edible marine invertebrates that are carnivorous, like crabs. Maybe I should have said "seafood" instead of "fish".

Fredericianer
August 8, 2010, 08:20 AM
Eaten Predator?

I don't think even Arnie did that, that's wild!

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/predator.jpg

MCgunner
August 8, 2010, 08:25 AM
"You're one ugly .....er"...:D

qajaq59
August 8, 2010, 10:08 AM
If gator counts then yup, lots of it..... LOL

Ike R
August 8, 2010, 12:07 PM
I would never eat a coyote, they are filthy creatures and buzzards around here won't even eat them.

Alligator is tasty (Al-t's here in winnie is less than 2 miles from my house), bobcat is not to bad.

Never had bear or cougar I would try it in a heartbeat however.

chas08
August 8, 2010, 12:08 PM
Ahh...the things you try in Deer Camp.

I've eaten Bobcat a couple of times both battered and fried and Barbequed. I liked the battered and fried the best. It was the Backstrap portion and tasted somewhere between chicken breast and pork loin. It was quite good actually. The B-BQ portion was the hind quarter from the same cat. It was a bit tough and dry.

Radium
August 8, 2010, 12:23 PM
never eaten any predator, but if i ever get a bear i sure will have sum :P

only thing thats on the list above that lives here is badgerbdagerbdager and fox.

i wont even thouch one of em.

here is a link to a big norwegian hunter who lived the last year in the wilderness and he ate sum fox and he said in his blog it was descusting!

here is the video of him nommin it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5pncDAfEDw&feature=player_embedded

here is the blog http://www.envillmann.no/dagbok/

http://www.envillmann.no/2009/12/rev-pa-menyen/

wankerjake
August 8, 2010, 02:14 PM
I forgot about rattlesnake, that's good eatin'! I crock potted some coyote overnight-it isn't bad, but nowhere near as good as bobcat. I will probably have to not have any deer or elk tags to eat another one.

I would never eat a coyote, they are filthy creatures and buzzards around here won't even eat them
They certainly are, but the buzzards out here will eat them. Any poultry farmer will tell you that chickens and turkeys are pretty disgusting creatures as well...they do taste much better though:D

dakotasin
August 8, 2010, 02:29 PM
i tried a small bit of gator once. tasted muddy. other than fish, i've never eaten predator and i won't knowingly eat any predator - even mountain lion.

for me, that is about the same as eating rodents (squirrels, prairie dogs, and such). just won't do it.

MCgunner
August 8, 2010, 02:41 PM
Squirrels? You don't like SQUIRRELS? Jeez, I was raised on 'em. They're as good as any rabbit. Gotta keep 'em from tearing up the pecans, ya know. :D

usmc1371
August 8, 2010, 02:45 PM
Had Shark a couple times, not to bad.
Black bear is ok but IME once they are old and big they taste like crap, younger ones are kind of pork like and not bad.

I just can't bring my self to eat a badger. I would have to be pretty hungary, like I already ate my danners hungary to cook up a badger. Or coyote.

General Tso
August 8, 2010, 02:46 PM
Bobcat and coyote are a little too close to cat and dog for me to eat.

dakotasin
August 9, 2010, 12:35 AM
Squirrels? You don't like SQUIRRELS?

ohh, i don't know if i'd like 'em or not - never tried them. shot one once a few years ago, took it home got it cleaned and skinned and ready to try but just couldn't get past its resemblance to a rat. so i never tried it.

they don't make pecan trees up here, and we don't have many squirrels. there are a few around if you're really bent on hunting them, but without the nut trees squirrels just aren't in abundance.

they'll still tear up a grain bin, barn or house though - so they'll get shot for their efforts there, but that's a property-preservation shooting, not a sustenance shooting!

7mmstalker
August 9, 2010, 01:13 AM
Cooked up and ate a nice 6ft. Black Bear while staying in Alaska. He was good table fare. Folks will call a Blackie a predator, but this guy was bagged in May, not long out of the winter den, eating alot of vegetation. The experts say the Black Bear prefers berries, fiddlehead fern shoots, and grubs more than meat, but will eat anything when hungry. Haven't ate any bear from the fall, when fish would be a bigger part of their diet. Lucky to get one in springtime!

Captcurt
August 9, 2010, 05:03 PM
I honestly don't know what I've had. We have an annual wild game dinner at church. I know that I have had coon, bear, gator, rattlesnake, and hog. I know that it isn't a predator but bar-b-que'd beaver is my fav.;)

wankerjake
August 10, 2010, 02:27 AM
We've got two people who've eaten fox and one who's tried badger-how was it???

Purgatory
August 10, 2010, 02:59 AM
Wow, I didn't realize so many people eat Mountain Lion. I've got to put that on my bucket list. Had plenty of Gator and love it. Could easily live on that stuff. Shark was real good, too.

These threads about eating predators really make me hungry. I s'pose I'd eat about anything put over a flame long enough.

I'll have to hunt at least one of all the predators on this list now just to see how they taste.

The Hunters have now become the Hunted. :what:

jleyring
August 10, 2010, 04:27 AM
Gator is some great eatin. Bear is not bad either. Never had cougar but would love to try it just to see if it is as good as others say. Ive heard that racoon is great also.

IdahoLT1
August 10, 2010, 04:49 AM
I've heard wolf isn't too bad but my buddies dad just made jerky out of it.

oasis618
August 10, 2010, 05:01 AM
Didn't Alien eat Predator?

wankerjake
August 11, 2010, 12:21 AM
Ok new update on the coyote meat. For the record this dog stunk way less than most I kill, which have a horrible skunk-like stench to them. Also I took good care of the meat, skinned him immediately and put the hams on ice. Fast forward to two nights ago, I crock potted a ham exactly like I did the bobcat. Right out of the pot is was pretty decent, tender and no horrible flavor to speak of. There was an aftertaste that was...intersting, but I didn't think much of it. I put the meat into corn tortillas with cheese, onions and hot sauce and it wasn't bad. Not awesome, but certainly edible. Now today I get home and open up the container and that aftertaste funk had completely taken over. I took a bite and it was awful. Kinda like turpentine. A complete transformation in a day and a half. I won't be eating any more coyotes as long as normal circumstances hold.

So, let's hear about the fox eating. Two people claim to have done this.

armoredman
August 11, 2010, 01:13 AM
Not a North American predator, but I had roast baboon overseas. Not bad. And yes, baboons are vicious predators that kill humans for fun.

H&Hhunter
August 11, 2010, 02:56 AM
Mt lion, bobcat, bear. No complaints except that an old tom lion is pretty tough.

CoRoMo
August 11, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'd like to eat an eagle.

:neener:

wulfhart
August 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
I plan on trying Coyote as soon as I find someone to hunt with. Got to be winter though. I like to eat healthy..er animals.

wankerjake
August 11, 2010, 08:42 PM
I plan on trying Coyote as soon as I find someone to hunt with. Got to be winter though. I like to eat healthy..er animals

You can try it but don't be too surprised if it is nasty. The one I ate I shot back in december. He was still nasty. Let us know if you try it, I'm at least interested. Maybe your's will taste better.

Dr.Rob
August 12, 2010, 03:44 AM
Gator, shark, snapping turtle. Had bear when I was a kid, remember it was kind of greasy.

T.R.
August 13, 2010, 03:22 PM
I ate dog meat in South Korea and cat in Philippines. Tasted fine!

TR

john917v
August 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
I've had gator each time I go to Louisianna...haha. It's good. I tried jellyfish (they can be predators)...not bad, I'd eat it again.

FROGO207
August 26, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hummm..... Lets see Bear, Bobcat, Fisher, Coon, Smoked Rattlesnake, and yes even a Skunk (after skinning and staking in a cold running stream for 2 days). The fisher was not worth repeating, all the others were something I would eat again. The skunks are kind of tough like rabbit to me.

savetheclaypigeons
August 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
I had an Indian BLT on a reservation once. Black lab and tomato.... kinda got tricked into that one.

mjyeagle
August 27, 2010, 10:45 PM
i have eaten bear ok alligator and rattlesnake very tasty other than that no and i dont plan on it

rhoggman
August 28, 2010, 12:18 AM
tasted great

MinnMooney
August 29, 2010, 01:22 AM
How about bear? They are predetors - sometimes. I love bear but they eat mostly vegetation and ants.

nastynatesfish
August 29, 2010, 03:56 PM
Have to say of all my avorite I'll Lion. Had bobcat not too long ago and it was pretty good, soaked it in buttermilk for a few hours. Will never try coyote again. It tasted bad. Had lots of unknowns that I didn't mind, you'd be suprised what gets fried at a meat packing plant.

gun guy
August 29, 2010, 05:05 PM
Looking over the menu, i'm thinking, um, roadkill, baked or bbq'ed, still looks like road kill. One of the best Steaks on the planet, is shark. The best flavored sharks are the tiger family. BBQ'ed with a honey almondine sauce, an easy $100 plus dinner in the finer resturants. Ingerdients, 1 tiger shark 14-18ft. Now comes the fun part. I recommend using a 12gauge slug bang stick, dont spare the stopping power, sharks are tough.
Chum the water till the big feeders come in. An 8 man dive team is preferred but a 4 man team can make the kill. With one man using a large piece of tuna as the lure, bait the shark into killing range. 2 or 3 ft. Think of it like stabbing the carburator in a hood full of teeth. Aim inside the mouth, up towards the brain. Dont miss, he wont. Once you made the kill, a second diver plants a wire with a speargun,quickly, very quickly exit the team from the water to the boat, reel in you prize. There will usually be more sharks arriving. Take turns till everyone has their prize. Then its bon appetit. Hunting, fishing, and firearms, all in one day out. How can you lose.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, who's eaten predator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!