Dataloader 2230-s

PDA

Shadow 7D
August 8, 2010, 04:35 AM
Don't have any info for this powder except the three on the lable, and I was wondering, do you use the same info for 2230, or is it 10% faster or 10% slower. If it's faster, then how do I know which powder info to use, (go afew up the chart?? or use a reduced load and expect max a grain or so early?)

Bought the powder at a yardsale, couldn't say no when she took my offer for the whole box.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dataloader 2230-s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
August 8, 2010, 06:00 AM
Accurate has a Data Powder DP2230-C, is that the powder you're asking about?
If it is, this is directly from the Accurate Site:
Information: We do not have specific published load information for the 2230 C powder. It’s a military surplus “Spherical” or “Spherical” powder, which is basically a derivative of the standard AA 2230 and 2460 powders. 2230 C is slightly slower burning than the standard AA 2230 product, which makes it more equivalent to AA2460. You can use any published load information, on any caliber configuration, for the standard AA2460 product AS IS. Since the powder can be used in a wide variety of caliber/configurations (too many to list here).

Shadow 7D
August 8, 2010, 07:31 AM
sorry, yes, but no,
it's surplus, according to all the stuff I've found, don't know if once used (pulled powder) or not.

2230-C is the stuff currently being sold, this was being sold like 3 -5 years ago, believe it was used for 249 linked ammo, 5.56 machinegun ammo, What I read was that the S is faster burning, where the C is slower burning.

Walkalong
August 8, 2010, 09:27 AM
I picked up an 8 Lb jug of 2230-S a few years ago cheap. Figured it would come in handy one day. Unfortunately I have no more data than you, and have not tested any of it yet.

If it's faster, then how do I know which powder info to use, (go afew up the chart??Not a good way. A few up or down a chart could be a big difference.

I would start with AA 2230 minimum data. Load 2 or 3, shoot, and go from there. This is where a chrono is real helpful.

steve4102
August 8, 2010, 12:10 PM
I found this.
The powder was surplus, Data Powder 2230-S, from Accurate Arms Co. While the container label had a recipe on it for .223 using 55 grain bullets, it listed only a single charge weight. An internet search yielded the e-mail address for Accurate Arms (now owned by Western Powders). I got a quick response to my e-mailed question. This powder is a ball powder that is, according to the Accurate rep, 4% faster burning than their regular AA-2230 powder.

Here,
http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/loads/loads-1.htm

Walkalong
August 8, 2010, 01:41 PM
Excellent link steve4102, and great info on the 4% faster than regular 2230. Every little bit helps.

Shadow 7D
August 9, 2010, 04:40 AM
If its 4% faster, what does that mean as far as loading?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dataloader 2230-s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!