Most accurate brand out of the box

PDA

ArtP
August 8, 2010, 04:42 PM
I goofed and cannot edit the opening poll.

What's the most accurate bolt action rifle brand out of the box? I understand it's an "odds" game. Which brand gives the best odds?

If you enjoyed reading about "Most accurate brand out of the box" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 8, 2010, 04:44 PM
Brand of what?
Rifles, scopes, bullets, primers, powder, scales, loaded ammo?

I'm not seeing any Poll.

rc

ArtP
August 8, 2010, 04:49 PM
I'm not seeing any Poll.

rc

Fixed... Sorry.

R.W.Dale
August 8, 2010, 05:04 PM
Mechanically speaking the Savage platform has more design elements that lend themselves to shooting tiny groups than any of your other choices

918v
August 8, 2010, 05:09 PM
In theory.

In practice its a crap shoot.

rcmodel
August 8, 2010, 05:21 PM
Yep!

I doubt any one of use has owned each of the rifle brands in the poll in statistically significant numbers of each to give you an answer that means anything at all.

But, of the brands I have owned over the years, a CZ-527 American .223, and an old secondhand Remington 722 .222 Rem come to mind as being uncommonly accurate rifles that were exceptionally easy to work up accurate loads for.

Your mileage may vary however.

rc

Walkalong
August 8, 2010, 05:44 PM
Sako's are generally very accurate, but pricey to go with it. CZ's have a great rep. I must get one someday.

Smokey Joe
August 8, 2010, 08:56 PM
It's Savage, but, (a) Sako, Tikka, and CZ all have excellent reputations, and, (b) it's possible to get a lemon from any manufacturer.

But, given my budgetary limitations, if I were going to buy an brand-new, out-of-the-box "accurate rifle," I'd start with a Savage.

And, of course, we're not talking, here about dedicated target rifles like the Anschutz or the Tubb 2000.

The Bushmaster
August 8, 2010, 09:16 PM
This poll may be just a bit biased in as much as the best rifle is the one you own. I own both Winchester and Browning and because everyone is tired of hearing about my "Ol' Jack Handle" I voted Browning.

Did I win Walkalong??

Walkalong
August 8, 2010, 10:57 PM
Sure, Brownings have a great rep too. I tried to buy one (High Wall copy) off a fellow once. I sighted it in for him and man could it shoot. :D

Randy1911
August 9, 2010, 12:34 AM
I bought a Remmington 700 in 30-06 an I am getting 3/4" groups with no modifications to the rifle if I do my part.

Robert Wilson
August 9, 2010, 01:50 AM
I had a Remington 700 in .308 that shot an honest-to-goodness 7 MOA. Sample of one...

Like the man said, it's a crap shoot. If you have to have an accurate rifle, buy one of the common ones as cheaply as possible (the Remington probably being the best candidate, just because so many smiths can work on them) and spend some money to get the action trued, a good barrel screwed in straight, and the whole thing properly bedded into a good synthetic stock. That will essentially guarantee a sub MOA rifle.

OTOH, you can probably get the same results by buying three rifles of whatever brand you like, shooting them all for groups, and selling off the worst two.

wlewisiii
August 9, 2010, 02:19 AM
My experience is with old mausers & new marlins. They all shoot better than me.

vaupet
August 9, 2010, 06:51 AM
I would say Anschutz. My 1770 (in 223 rem) is a dream to shoot

dogngun
August 9, 2010, 08:00 AM
over the last 45 years, and have never had anything come close to the Savage 110 series no matter how much more I paid for it.

They just shoot, period...and from what I hear, the new ones are even better.

mark

Lloyd Smale
August 9, 2010, 08:03 AM
for midpriced bolt guns id say its a toss up between rem and savage for first win for third and ruger for forth.

Geno
August 9, 2010, 11:14 AM
These fellas know a whole lot more about rifles than I do: http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

For my part, the difficulty in your question is that I have owned only about half of those brand rifles. I like Savage, but have not owned one of their centerfires, same with the Tikka, and others. Remingtons have served me well, as have Winchester, Weatheby, Sako, Vanguard|Howa. Oh, and CZ too.

The other part that makes it difficult is that some companies send their rifle from the factory with a dandy stock and trigger already mounted. That would lead one to believe it to be a better rifle, when in fact it may simply be that it left with more features that lend themselves to accuracy.

Last weekend when I went to the farm to shoot, I thought about this type of thread, and came up with the idea of which rifle shoots most accurately. While I have upgraded some of the rifles' stocks, triggers, etc, the barreled actions are bone stock. Here is the link:

4 Varmint Rifles’ Accuracy at 300 Yards - THR
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=537502

Remember, I shoot center-of-woodchuck.

Geno

Maverick223
August 9, 2010, 01:21 PM
Many are good, but IMO the new Savages have set the bar very high for a production rifle. CZ is nearly if not just as good, but I have to give extra marks to Savage for putting together a lesser priced (on average) rifle with excellent accuracy. Keep in mind that all of the production rifles will turn out a dud from time to time, they will also turn out an exceptional rifle every once in a while...you have to take the average. Also note that Savage has very good CS, so if something is awry, they are more than likely going to take care of your problem. The same cannot be said for some other competitors.

Sure, Brownings have a great rep too. I tried to buy one (High Wall copy) off a fellow once. I sighted it in for him and man could it shoot.Has been my experience with mine as well. It shoots much better than most folks believe a big bore can (especially when outfitted with good aperture sights).

:)

HGUNHNTR
August 9, 2010, 03:27 PM
Sako/Tikka in my experience, followed by CZ, Savage..

JDGray
August 9, 2010, 09:44 PM
Only have a Savage and a Remmy, and both are very accurate for factory barrels. My 10FP .308 never fails to amaze me, or people I let shoot it!:)

lopezni
August 9, 2010, 11:09 PM
I have seen several different types of Savages and they aren't as accurate as everyone claims. Why isn't Thompson Center on the list? Ruger and Winchester are? C'mon! I have never fired a Sako, but I am sure they are very accurate, they are the only company with a 5 SHOT MOA guarantee.

August 9, 2010, 11:38 PM
Despite all the anti-Remington posts on THR, I've only bought three 700s in my life, still have all three, never shot a factory round in any of them, and all three shot EASILY under 1 MOA at 100 yards and 200 yards with the factory barrels and my reloads. On the other hand, I have only bought one Savage in my life, a Weather Warrior 16 FCSS chambered in 7mm-08 and it won't hold under 1 MOA at 100 yards with 139gr SSTs and I've tried every friggin' load from min to max for IMR 4895 in 0.3gr increments. So in this totally unscientific poll I'm voting for Remington. :D

:)

snakeman
August 9, 2010, 11:51 PM
Howa or remington I would guess. Here's a group from my Howa ranchland 22-250 with a boyds jrs stock and hanloads.

WNTFW
August 9, 2010, 11:57 PM
AK47 is not included. that voids the entire poll. Gun Snobs!

My thought is how many times have we as individual on a local level seen guys proclaim a gun is no good and they have other issues like bad shooting, bad ammo, bad scope, etc.

We are having good result with Rem 700's. Weatherby Vanguards as well.

BushyGuy
August 9, 2010, 11:59 PM
Sako and Tikka have one of the best accuracy out of the box.

kis2
August 10, 2010, 12:36 AM
like most people have said, i haven't owned or shot most of the rifles listed, and i've heard good things about most, so i will only comment on the one i have.

stock remington 700p with handloads = .5moa average. sometimes better, sometimes worse. always submoa at one hundred yards.

Welding Rod
August 10, 2010, 12:45 AM
I clicked "other" based on the thread title, as I was thinking of Rock River and other AR makers that put out rifles that are very accurate compared to the ones you have listed.

Then I read your post that you are limiting to bolt action.

Wild Bunch
August 10, 2010, 01:34 AM
My K31 with irons will easily outshoot any other bolt rifle (with irons) I've shot.....and that thing was $200.

Glocked-N-Loaded
August 10, 2010, 08:03 AM
The rifles themselves and the inherent attributes of them allow a great degree of accuracy out of most modern long rifles. It's more the indian than it is the arrow, you do your part and most will do theirs. I'm talking rifles only, not match ammo and user worked handloaded recipes.

UnTainted
August 10, 2010, 12:32 PM
Sako uses a proprietary barrel profile that seems to produce reliable accuracy. My groups at 100 are all less than 1" in a rest with a finnbear 30'06. I sighted the rifle in last season and then let it cool real well for a few hours, and then fired a sitting cold-bore shot at 100 yards, which produced this result. Needless to say this is a thing that happens every season. :D My bro's weatherby 300mag and my dad's CZ 300wm do the same thing.

http://i37.tinypic.com/zjj72g.jpg

Captcurt
August 10, 2010, 12:58 PM
I'll side with 918V. It is a crap shoot. I've owned winchester, savage, remington, cz and marlin. Some shoot and some don't. I have had 3 cz's that shot well but every one of them have problems with the magazines. None feed without minor adjustments.

My best shooters at the moment are a Rem. 700 tactical 308 and a Savage 10 Ultralite in 300 WSM. Both shoot 5 shot groups sub MOA all day long and did it right out of the box.;)

I must say that Savage has all of their ducks in a row and if I wanted a tack driver without doing a lot of tuning, that would be my pick.

Picher
August 10, 2010, 01:55 PM
Usually, even before I shoot a new rifle for the first time, I glass/pillar bed it free-float the barrel, and adjust (or stone & polish) the trigger.

That way, I don't waste time and ammo on a rifle that should shoot well. If it doesn't shoot after bedding, it's sold. My personal opinion, I wouldn't waste money on having a rifle blueprinted. The metalwork either shoots or it doesn't. I've never owned a centerfire that I couldn't make shoot very well, but several years ago, I tried to improve another guy's Ruger 77 varmint that shot 4-minute groups and only could get it down to 1 1/2". That's not good enough for a varmint rifle. (The new ones are said to shoot very nicely.)

snakeman
August 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
I had a tikka that shot softball size groups at best. I bought it brand new and tried 6 different loads through it and traded it off within the month. Biggest pile of junk I ever bought!

Welding Rod
August 10, 2010, 03:49 PM
I had a tikka that shot softball size groups at best. I bought it brand new and tried 6 different loads through it and traded it off within the month. Biggest pile of junk I ever bought!
I bought a new Tikka too after reading the hype, and hearing at the gunshops about how accurate they were supposed to be.

I was not impressed. If I am going to get ~1.5+ MOA, I might as well be shooting an American made gun.

So I traded it off for a Ruger Hawkeye that shot every bit as well.

But if I want small groups, I just shoot an AR.

dubbleA
August 10, 2010, 04:43 PM

DITTO
Yes, I had the same experience with a T3 270 WSM. It's long gone now.

15guns
August 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah Sako is great but there is currently a gun called a Noreen ULR in 338 that can shoot over 2,000 yards. Sakos 338 model 42 does like over 1700 yards out of the box but you have to buy a good scope for it. I chat with some guy online that has a sako model 41.

Ky Larry
August 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
I've had good luck with most rifles I've owned and had some real dogs that just wouldn't shoot. Some needed a little help like free floating the barrel, bedding, Timney trigger,etc. Some were beyond help. The Savages with the Accu-Trigger have been very impressive. My next rifle will probably be a Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm-08. I don't have a clue why I want this rifle. I don't deer hunt anymore and I have a CZ-550 in .30-06.

dagger dog
August 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
I had to vote Savage, 'cause I was lucky enough to get two that shoot under an inch at 100, straight off the shelf and untouched out of the box, only detail stripped and cleaned,a 12 FV .223 and a 40 Varmint Hunter 22 Hornet, both accutrigger models.

But I would like to give Ruger a kind word also, as I am the owner of a KM77VTMKII .308 Win. that's a shooter able to put them in an inch @100.

But with those three rifles it is extra ordinary 'cause I'm not that good of a shooter with very poor eye sight and have to use a scope and handloads to get those results.

benzy2
August 11, 2010, 09:46 AM
From the group listed, I would feel fairly good picking from any of them.

Kawabuggy
August 11, 2010, 04:10 PM
Most accurate rifle I've ever owned, or shot, is my Savage 12FV in .243. I recently bought another 12FV in .223 for my son. His is not broke in yet, but it is the second most accurate gun I've ever shot. I think in time they will be on-par with each other, and that is FAR ahead of any Remington, Winchester, or Browning that I have to date. My Browning A-bolts, and X-bolt would be second in out of the box accuracy.

My son's .223 with range brass, mixed head stamp, and using a powder drop instead of actually weighing the charges put 8 shots in a row in a group that a quarter would cover. This was at 100 yards, using a CHEAP Pentax scope, and I was not letting the barrel cool between shots-I was just ripping them as quickly as I could. At last count I own 7 Savages, and they represent the smallest number of any manufacturer in my collection. But they are all the most recent guns I have bought.

How do you think I voted?

If you enjoyed reading about "Most accurate brand out of the box" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!