Expensive night vision

PDA

yuhu77
August 9, 2010, 06:47 AM
Sightmark PVS-14 NV System The Sightmark PVS-14 is a combat proven NV system currently used by the US military and Special Forces. http://www.swisslink.com/products/nightvision/pvs14_gen_3_kit-27-1548/ Personally it looks great but a bit too expensive I have a limited budget, do you know where I can find one less expensive?
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Expensive night vision" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rfurtkamp
August 9, 2010, 12:09 PM
To be brutally honest, if you're on a limited budget, night vision worth a damn isn't in your future.

Low-priced stuff is junk and the only marginally acceptable (and then only if you know a good tech and can test it first) Gen 1 scope was the massive PVS-1.

Russian imports are godawful. Run away.

If you need/want night vision for your arsenal, toybox, or SHTF list, do not cheap out.

skoro
August 10, 2010, 04:41 PM
The unfortunate but inescapable truth is that all 1st generation night vision gear is affordable, but worthless.

NV gear becomes useful with 2nd generation, but it's expensive. The 3rd generation is appreciably better yet, but extremely costly.

Double Naught Spy
August 10, 2010, 08:14 PM
However, you can get a lot more out of your standard night vision with a good IR illuminator which most units don't have actually on them.

wideym
August 10, 2010, 10:53 PM
I felt lucky to find a new set of PVS-14s (ITT manufactured/actual Military supplier), with all accesories for only $3000 at a Tulsa gunshow. Even then it was only because the orginal buyer sent a $500 deposit and never showed up, thereby losing his deposit which the distributer subtracted it from my cost.

If you want nightvision that isn't junk, obsolete, or weighs a ton, then just save your pennies until you can afford a set of PVS-7s or PVS-14s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Expensive night vision" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!