Lee dippers?

PDA

armoredman
August 9, 2010, 02:38 PM
Anyone here use them? I find my expensive RCBS 10-10 will not hold a zero, and I have followed the advice of RCBS to clean the agates, so it must go back to Ohaus for repair. I gave away my faithful 5-10 to a new loader, so I will be unable to load! That is horrific....:what::fire:
Being extremely short of disposable income, I cast about for an economical stand in, and found the Lee dipper system. It is cheap, less than $10 from Midway, but limited, for certain. Has anyone used them, and how well do they work? How accurate are they, and what tricks are needed to use them correctly? Will be used for Accurate ball powders, if that helps.
Thank you for any reply.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee dippers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
phoenix79
August 9, 2010, 03:10 PM
I use them with a scale. I figure out which one gets me close but just a bit under, then adjust from there.

mgmorden
August 9, 2010, 03:11 PM
Haven't tried the dippers (at least not as measuring devices - just used them as scoops). The other Lee stuff works ok though. I use a Lee balance scale and Lee powder measure and they work fine.

For rifle rounds, I just set the balance to a set amount. Add powder to the pan until it balances, then charge the case. It's very quick once you get used to it, and the scale is very cheap to buy. For pistol rounds, I'll get the dispenser setup, and will measure out 3-5 charges to make sure it's consistent. After that I'll just start charging cases and loading them. It too is inexpensive.

IMHO, I'd at least go with the cheap balance scale for measuring the charges rather than the dippers. They just don't seem precise enough for me.

General Tso
August 9, 2010, 03:41 PM
For plinking rounds, I think the dippers work great. I measure a few with a scale then go from there. From what I've found is they are usually slightly under the max load. If you get a Lee manual, they list the proper dipper for each load.

swiftak
August 9, 2010, 03:44 PM
I can never get the powder weight that it says I should get. I gave up on them.

Gadzooks Mike
August 9, 2010, 03:46 PM
I use them for rifle loads. Just make sure you dip THE SAME WAY each time, and they'll be pretty close to each other. And here's what you need. It comes with the dippers if you purchase them new.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf

Oh, if you can't get what the chart says, use a different dipper or two. For example, if the chart calls for a 1.3 dipper and it's always light, try two .7 dippers. Using different combinations will give you just about any amount you need.

rcmodel
August 9, 2010, 03:52 PM
But, he doesn't have a working scale to tell if it's light or not.

My experience with homemade dippers in general is that they are pretty darn consistent, if you are.

Lee dippers specifically are usually going to be low if anything.

rc

Cosmoline
August 9, 2010, 03:56 PM
I always cross check and calibrate them with the scale, but once this is confirmed I do use them without the scale to complete the load of plinkers. I do not rely on them for non-plinkers.

dagger dog
August 9, 2010, 05:29 PM
You darn sure are not going to over load with the Lee Dipper System, unless you grab the wrong one.

Most reloaders use them in conjunction with a scale, they find the one that comes closest to the weight they want to throw in a particular powder then trickle up.

Mags
August 9, 2010, 05:38 PM
I could never get the Lee dippers to produce the same weight or even close to the same weight between scoops.

Duckdog
August 9, 2010, 05:50 PM
One I verify a dipper with a scale for a given session, I just dip them the same way each time and do not weigh each one. You'll be surprised at how accurate you will get with them darn things. I have 3-4 sets and all of them that came with the dies, and I agree, just combine them to get almost any charge you would need. I rarely ever use my powder measure any more.

Muttt
August 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
Try Evilbay (Ebay). I've gotten some really great RCBS equipment off there for a fraction of what it would have cost from the store. Bought 350 bucks worth of equipment for 100 dollars. Made the wife happy.

Anyway, I have the RCBS 5-0 whatever scale. It works well enough but is really slow to use. I recently bought a Frankford Arsenal digital scale for 40 bucks. It works great. It runs on watch batteries and comes with check weights and a little powder tray. I've used it faithfully for a while now. I use the check weights every time I get ready to use it. What a time saver.

Publius1688
August 10, 2010, 12:08 AM
I use them for plinking pistol rounds, with scale for confirmation. Try to dip exactly the same way every time, and be advised that you probably won't throw exactly what the instructions say you will (hence, the scale backup).

docsleepy
August 10, 2010, 12:35 AM
Powder can have quite a variation from batch to batch....scale needed!

I used lee dippers to do .38 spl plinking loads and had good success but you really had to be identical in how you did it each time.

I even carefully adjusted the volume using epoxy glue in the bottom to reduce volume where needed to get exactly what I wanted. Just coat well with graphite before using.

A little practice with a scale and you can get a good eyeball of what a high/medium/low charge is going to look like.

I have not yet tried it for rifle loads, so no experience there. I was loading 3-4 grains of W231.

don
August 10, 2010, 01:06 AM
I use the dippers for my .270W and can get within .2 grains consistently. The dippers are safe because they are very conservative with the amount of powder they use. I am currently testing dipper only loaded cartridges versus weighed to the nearest tenth cartridges. Preliminary tests indicate no significant difference. The trick is to be consistent with your dipping technique.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee dippers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!