Quick question about setting seating die.

PDA

slowr1der
August 9, 2010, 08:25 PM
So I'm trying to set a seating die for a new caliber. I do not want to crimp the cartridge. So I know what you should be doing is raise the rod on the press up to the top with the case in it. Then screw the seating die in until you feel it touch the case mouth. Then back it out 1/2 of a turn. The problem is I can't feel it touching the case mouth. I don't feel any resistance at all until the seating die contacts the shell holder. I just can't feel anything before that. So what's the best way to set this when I can't feel it contacting the case mouth?

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick question about setting seating die." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
August 9, 2010, 09:03 PM
Strange. You should feel the crimp ledge. What caliber?

pcwirepro
August 9, 2010, 09:09 PM
What die?

slowr1der
August 9, 2010, 09:26 PM
It's a Lee die and came with the Lee 3 die set with the Lee Factory Crimp Die also included. It's for a 30-06. I can't figure out why I can't feel the shell in it either. It's beyond me. I've not run into this in the past. I will say that I took the die out of the press and put the case into it and it goes almost all the way to the bass without feeling anything. Looking inside the die there isn't anything before the part that stops it when the shell is almost all the way in. So I just set it like that and backed it out half a turn. I'm not seeing any crimp that's obvious on the cartridges, but it's hard to tell as I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for other than an obvious crimp around the bullet.

loadedround
August 9, 2010, 09:45 PM
From your description, I'm guessing that that your Lee seating die does not have a crimping shoulder in it. Reread your instruction sheet or call Lee Customer Service tomorrow and ask them. :)

slowr1der
August 10, 2010, 01:35 AM
That's what I'm wondering too. However, the instructions say it can crimp with the seating die. So I'm not sure.

Muttt
August 10, 2010, 10:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But that sounds correct. You crank it down till you feel it touch the shoulder. If you use it that way, it won't crimp. If you take out the case and then turn it in an 1/8 to 1/4 turn When you put the case back it, it will start to crimp. If you want more crimp, you turn it in another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. That's how all my dies work anyway.

pcwirepro
August 10, 2010, 10:48 AM
It's a 270 Win case. :)

Is this new brass?

slowr1der
August 10, 2010, 12:48 PM
Once fired brass and it's 30-06 brass. It's a mix of Federal, Winchester, and Remington brass.

kludge
August 10, 2010, 04:17 PM
What is your case length? Trimmed to short? Sorry, I always tend to ask the dumb questions first.

Unscrew the seater all the way and remove the plug. Then with a light you can see what's going on.

Crimping with the seating die on a Lee die set will just be a small roll crimp.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick question about setting seating die." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!