Anybody know the waiting time before you can get your CHL with a misdemeanor?

PDA

saenzrich
August 10, 2010, 12:54 PM
I got a class b misdemeanor in West Palm Beach, FL back in March of '07 for a possession of marijuana, just received a ticket, went to court and took a class and that was that. Since then I've moved to Tx. got married had a child and have matured from my old ways. Now with a family and plenty of experience with guns id like to get my CHL. Was wondering what the waiting period was till I could go take the class and get my CHL......I heard it something about 5 years.....can anyone back this up or give me a number to call.....thank you i appreciate any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody know the waiting time before you can get your CHL with a misdemeanor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PT1911
August 10, 2010, 12:56 PM
I could be wrong, but I dont think there is one... such a thing wouldnt prevent you from buying a gun so I dont see why it would prevent you from taking a cc class.

you could potentially have a "red flag" on your record that may cause you to get delayed when buying a gun, but that is 3 days.

saenzrich
August 10, 2010, 01:04 PM
Im still not sure about that, I've bought several weapons in Tx since the incident with no waiting period. But information i found on TX DPS website about CHL said that if you take the class and apply for a license without the proper waiting period after a misdemeanor or felony, they could deny your license for an additional 2 years plus the mandated time for the convictions.

PT1911
August 10, 2010, 01:14 PM
that doesnt make much sense to me... but then again, most gun control laws dont make sense.... seems pretty counterproductive that they would allow you to buy a gun but not carry it.... I am sure someone will chime in that is more knowledgeable than I.

CoRoMo
August 10, 2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm
...you are ineligible for a license for five years after a conviction for a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or disorderly conduct. This includes cases that were dismissed after you completed probation or deferred adjudication. If you have been convicted of two or more alcohol or drug-related offenses within the last 10 years, you may not be eligible.
5 years if it was an A or B.

saenzrich
August 10, 2010, 01:26 PM
Thats what i was trying to find thanks alot now just gotta wait till march '12 time'll fly by i guess.

TexasRifleman
August 10, 2010, 01:53 PM
Asked and answered, thanks everyone!

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody know the waiting time before you can get your CHL with a misdemeanor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!