Cleaning fouling from Aluminum Frame

PDA

JHK94
August 10, 2010, 01:11 PM
I just got a 1958 mfg Colt Frontier Scout, which has an unfinished 'white' aluminium frame. I shot it a bunch the other day, and noticed the dark fouling under the barrel inside the frame, and how difficult it was to get off. Normally, I'd just use some solvent and scrub it with some brass brushes. However, I was wondering if the brass brushes will damage/scratch the aluminium. How do you guys clean this type of fouling from AL?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning fouling from Aluminum Frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMZ
August 10, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hoppe's 9 solvent and a toothbrush out to do it.

inthelineofire
August 10, 2010, 02:18 PM
DMZ has it correct.

If the Hoppe's doesn't work I suggest some of Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber.

That is good stuff.

cougar1717
August 10, 2010, 05:54 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about. If you let Hoppe's set a little while, it will soften some of that up with a little time (5-10 min). Then it's possible to take a toothpick, brass brush (lightly), or scrub with a toothbrush to break up the heavier caked on fouling.

CraigC
August 11, 2010, 12:05 AM
If it doesn't wipe off with an oil-damp rag or a little bit of solvent, I wouldn't kill myself to get the inside of the frame window clean.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning fouling from Aluminum Frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!