Sights? I don't need no stinkin sights...GPP dueling pistol v. groundhog

PDA

desidog
August 10, 2010, 08:00 PM
I happened to be heading out for a little evening target practice with my Great Plains pistols, and had loaded up my "dueling" GPP with 25gr of pyrodex P, three corrugated cardboard wads, and a round ball wrapped in a square of former-boxer-shorts and a little bore butter....but hadn't loaded up the GPP with sights and a non-chopped barrel...when this little critter took a break from marauding the vegetable garden to come out and admire the hardware. He stayed a little too long at about 20 yds. His other side looks like a casserole of nonsense. 50cal GPP kit, bbl was cut down to 5" and the sights were filed off. This is the first time it wasn't fired at beer cans or paper plates.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4185/imgp4263s.jpg
and as an added bonus, the ball was caste from spent .22lr lead from my bullet box.

My tuned-up hunting rifles are collecting dust in my closet...but somehow this encounter was much more memorable this way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sights? I don't need no stinkin sights...GPP dueling pistol v. groundhog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
~z
August 11, 2010, 07:57 AM
Did you slap him with a leather glove and say 'You sur... have offended mah honnor' first?
~z

Friendly, Don't Fire!
August 11, 2010, 08:21 AM
I handgun hunt a lot more than hunting using a rifle.
Most shots I would ever need to take on big game are within about 30 yards, so, no problem there with my 500 Magnum 4" barrel and handloads for accuracy (Barnes 275g solid copper XPB - X-Bullets, or what I like to refer to as my "flying ashtrays").

Great shot, there guy! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Sights? I don't need no stinkin sights...GPP dueling pistol v. groundhog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!