Few new Balis

PDA

Gunfighter123
August 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/recentBalis.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Few new Balis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
August 11, 2010, 10:16 AM
Cool

Rail Driver
August 11, 2010, 10:47 AM
Something I notice... many of the balisongs I've owned in the past had the retention toggle on the "safe side" rather than the blade side... All of yours have the toggle on the blade side... How does that affect you working the blade?

zignal_zero
August 13, 2010, 05:32 AM
Rail Driver -

this is referred to as "Battangas Latched" and "Manilla Latched" (i could be spelling those wrong). Battangas is what is normally seen, on most bali's in the U.S. with the exception of some of the flea market brass bali's of the 80's. the BM42 is Battangas latched (latch on the bite handle), but the Kimura is special in the sense that you can actually change which handle the latch is on - go from Battangas to Manilla. if you look close at the two Bradley's in the pic, you'll see the tapped hole on the safe handle for those who prefer Manilla latched.

as for how they affect handling, i think it's all personal preferenc, but i believe most people (in the U.S. atleast) prefer Battangas. i do. i find it easier to hold the handle without the latch on it.

twice now (15 years apart) i've handed a Battangas latched bali to someone who was used to Manilla and they cut themselves doing a double roll out :D

if there's any doubt which one you'll prefer, go with the Bradley Kimura and have the option to choose :)

Gunfighter123
August 15, 2010, 02:47 AM
Over the last 25+ years or so , I have owned Balis with the latch on the "safe" handle as well as on the "bite" handle.

I like them both and find different ways of opening each type.

But then again , a lot of what was from Fillipino Bali Master/Legend ---- the Great Danny Inosanto.

If you don't know who Master Inosanto is --- google it and be amazed :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Few new Balis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!