Stuck brass, this is not good

PDA

Gasitman
August 11, 2010, 07:54 PM
So I bought some Lee Dies, everything else I have is Hornady. I am trying to size .308 and every round deleted -- <Sam>. I even started to lube each case by hand to make the process a bit smoother. This was the 20th, of 50 cases. Me being a hothead, I tried to hit the stem with a hammer and bent it, trying to get the stuck case out.

I will never buy another Lee product, my single stage press has some issues, like the button to release the die, always gets stuck. Hopefully I can return these dies and get a Hornady or redding die set for my .308 :banghead:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/gasitman/DSC_1417.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck brass, this is not good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hydraulicman
August 11, 2010, 08:14 PM
you don't normally lube every case?

dakotasin
August 11, 2010, 08:17 PM
rcbs makes a stuck die remover set. cost you about $15, works very well.

i'm not a fan of lee stuff, but never had this problem before. don't know how you're lubing, but i submit it was more likely an operator error in this case than an equipment failure. either way, though, i don't like lee stuff.

hitting the die w/ a hammer won't solve your problem. just get a stuck case remover, and you'll be fine.

another issue... why is the fit so tight? i'm assuming this is a bolt gun - it shouldn't be that tight. possibly chamber problems in the rifle it was fired in?

imperial die wax is an outstanding lube. way overkill for sizing operations, but as long as you lube the case, stuck cases should be a thing of the past w/ imperial.

good luck!

Gasitman
August 11, 2010, 08:28 PM
Yes, I lube every case, I put them in a shell holder and spray them with hornady case lube. The brass is once fired lake city NM brass. I am not sure what was going on, but I am not happy with lee products.

Walkalong
August 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
What lube?

EddieNFL
August 11, 2010, 08:54 PM
hornady case lube

One Shot works, but is very unforgiving if you don't use a very liberal amount and allow it to die. Other spray lubes are more tolerant.

MMCSRET
August 11, 2010, 08:55 PM
The lube you are using is the single biggest contributor to the problem.

qajaq59
August 11, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'm no fan of Lee dies. But I don't think the result would have been any better in any other die. Your lube is not working. I use Break Free with a pad, but they tell me the imperial wax is also good.

Eb1
August 11, 2010, 08:59 PM
Imperial Sizing Wax!

ranger335v
August 11, 2010, 09:48 PM
"Yes, I lube every case, I put them in a shell holder and spray them with hornady case lube. ...I am not happy with lee products."

Lee dies is not the problem. Nor, matter of fact, is it likely One Shot is the problem, not directly. Apply it according to the directions and things will probably get better, fast.

You shouldn't hit your dies so hard, get yourself a bigger hammer. Or learn to control your emotions.

armoredman
August 11, 2010, 09:55 PM
I use old fashioned Lee lube when sizing rifle cases, been using Lee dies to do it for years, no issues. I quit using a spray on lube after it becanme apparent One Shot wasn't doing the job. OTOH, One Shot works wonderfully as a lube for fresh cast lead bullets being sized.

SuperNaut
August 11, 2010, 09:59 PM
Your die is fine - well, except for the munged spindle.

I was getting stuck cases just like yours with .308 - all due to One Shot. Get the RCBS stuck case remover (the one with the threaded spindle) and then dump the One Shot and get sizing wax.

jcwit
August 11, 2010, 10:07 PM
Why oh why would you force a case into a die that hard? Are you that new to reloading? Not putting you down, but I would have been checking things on the 1st stuck case.

SuperNaut
August 11, 2010, 10:09 PM
Me or the OP?

jcwit
August 11, 2010, 10:21 PM
The OP.

Win1892
August 11, 2010, 10:23 PM
I use Dillon spray lube, shaken very well, and let it dry. Have never had a stuck case. Well,...except for that aluminum 9mm case that ruined my carbide sizer die.

Txhillbilly
August 11, 2010, 10:24 PM
I pretty much use only Lee dies,I do have a few Redding,RCBS also. If you get a stuck case in a die,99% of the time it is operator error not the equipment.
Like others have said,the lube is mainly the problem.The only spray lube that I've found that works is the Cabela's brand,and it will still let cases get stuck sometimes,but I also use a punch of the correct size to knock the sizing pin & case out of the die.I also keep several sizing pins around just in case you do bend one.
To me it has always been faster and easier than Drilling & Tapping the stuck case,and pulling it out with the Stuck Case Puller.

Get online with Lee and order a couple extra pins for your dies,they only cost a couple $,and next time don't loose your cool and beat the crap out of your dies.

Also,If you want to use the spray lube,put your brass in a ziplock bag spray some lube into the bag,and then just shake the bag around.It will coat all of your brass.I usually put 20-30pcs in at a time.

Jim Watson
August 11, 2010, 10:29 PM
Lee says:

"Stuck Cases

We will remove a stuck case for $4; Return the die to the factory with an explanation. Our address is:

Lee Precision Inc,
4275 Hwy. U,
Hartford, WI 53027.

You can easily remove the case yourself, loosen but do not remove the decapper clamp with a 3/4 and 1/2 wrench. Then pound on the end of the decapper rod with a 3/16 drift punch, and use a heavy hammer for best results. You can leave the die in the press for this operation."

This may not be feasible if you have already hit it with a hammer and bent the spindle.

wrench
August 11, 2010, 11:04 PM
Not to pile on, but....
I agree with other posters. Nothing wrong with Lee dies, use better lube.
I use Hornady Unique lube, works great, and a tub will last nearly forever.

wanderinwalker
August 11, 2010, 11:16 PM
It's the lube. I've never found a spray lube I thought worked as well as just rolling the case on a pad with RCBS Case Slick. There was an RCBS spray lube I found, might have been also called Case Slick, which worked well, but I don't care for any of the other sprays I've tried.

And speaking as somebody who has removed a few stuck cases from LEE dies, it's a pretty sure thing when you follow the instructions. The most aggravating part IMO is hack-sawing through a mangled case to free the decapping pin. The rest is just wrenches, punches and judiciously applied force.

Bruno2
August 11, 2010, 11:21 PM
We will remove a stuck case for $4; Return the die to the factory with an explanation. Our address is:

RCBS removed mine for free.
Imperial Sizing Wax!

I use imperial and I love it. I have heard some reloaders complain about the wax causing a build up in the , but , I havent experienced that yet.

This is an excellent method for using the spray lube.

jcwit
August 11, 2010, 11:44 PM
Lee says:

"Stuck Cases

Lee Precision Inc,
4275 Hwy. U,
Hartford, WI 53027.

I'll bet if you'd return it to Lee with a return address you'd get a new die back, no charge. I've returned a press that I broke and it was my fault, The letter that was enclosed in the shipment explained that. Got a new press In less than a week with no charge.

They like to keep their customers happy like everyone else.

Greg Mercurio
August 11, 2010, 11:55 PM
One Shot is a fine lube for use with carbide sizing dies and a progressive press, but it lacks the film strength for real heavy duty sizing. IMHO of course . Your results may vary. I've had 2 stuck cases in oh, about 35 years of reloading. Both were One Shot. This year. I learn fast. :banghead:

OTOH, after resizing big cartridges like .375 H&H and .375 Win, and reforming brass for a bunch of wildcats, I can affirm the RCBS stinky stuff and the pad. :D

Snot the die my friend.

JimKirk
August 12, 2010, 12:19 AM
http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6074500&postcount=12

Homemade stuck case remover ^^^

Substitute a self tapping 1/4" Metal roofing screw for the tap and bolt and skip one step.

http://www.boltdepot.com/images/catalog/sheet-metal-screw-hex-drilling.gif

dredd
August 12, 2010, 12:30 AM
As already mentioned, I also use the Lee die and the Hornady Unique Lube.
I was looking for Imperial, but it was not available locally off of the shelf.
From what I have read, they are supposed to be a mirror image.

That said.... I have FL sized about 1,000 cases so far with zero issues.
Chamber checks are always a "go". (I am loading for a gas action)

I experimented with amounts of lube, how I lube, where I lube etc etc etc....

I kept a constant "feel" out for how things were sliding along. To me, personally, the press gave enough feed back to let me know what I needed to change.

I don't have any issues with the dies or the lube.

That being said, there is always the possibility that you got a lemon.
It happens. As we're all too aware of, we don't live in a perfect world.

P.S.
I've been interrupted 10 times since I started trying to reply to this, so I'm sure I've drifted off of target.

Sorry!

dmazur
August 12, 2010, 12:36 AM
I also started with some kind of spray lube. It might have been One Shot.

I had to fight two stuck cases. I'm not sure at this point why it took two...and even a stuck case remover isn't fun.

As others have related, I changed lubes. Even though RCBS Case Lube on a pad is messy, it works. And the pad method of application is surprisingly consistent.

Some details -

1. You can lube 3 or 4 cases at once by rolling them across the pad. The shoulders stay dry, so you don't have to worry about hydraulic dents. You should be able to see a uniform, thin film all around the cases.

2. You can drag a neck cleaning brush across one end of the pad to lube the case necks, (if you don't use something else like graphite or mica.) One drag gets enough lube for the handfull of 4 cases. It doesn't take much, just enough to get the tips of the bristles on one side. This lube is transferred to the neck expander button.

3. You can wipe it off after resizing with a damp paper towel, because it is water-soluable.

evan price
August 12, 2010, 12:48 AM
The problem with spray lubes is you have to spray them on the cases, then LET THEM DRY for a bit. The lube is dissolved in a carrier, typically some sort of alcohol, to make it possible to be sprayed. While the carrier is wet, the lube will not be slippery. Once it air drys, the lube will do it's job.
Every time I see cases stuck in dies with spray lube, the cause is people spraying and then immediately trying to size. Spray case lube is not WD-40; it needs to dry out first.

Gasitman
August 12, 2010, 12:49 AM
"Yes, I lube every case, I put them in a shell holder and spray them with hornady case lube. ...I am not happy with lee products."

Lee dies is not the problem. Nor, matter of fact, is it likely One Shot is the problem, not directly. Apply it according to the directions and things will probably get better, fast.

You shouldn't hit your dies so hard, get yourself a bigger hammer. Or learn to control your emotions.
Thanks Dr. Phil, my emotions are just fine. People that usually comment on others emotions are usually the ones with the issues.

Gasitman
August 12, 2010, 12:51 AM
The problem with spray lubes is you have to spray them on the cases, then LET THEM DRY for a bit. The lube is dissolved in a carrier, typically some sort of alcohol, to make it possible to be sprayed. While the carrier is wet, the lube will not be slippery. Once it air drys, the lube will do it's job.
Every time I see cases stuck in dies with spray lube, the cause is people spraying and then immediately trying to size. Spray case lube is not WD-40; it needs to dry out first.
I sprayed the cases and put up a shelf while they dried. I think it was 15 minutes or so, plenty of time to dry. The die that was stuck was actually re-sprayed for a second time after having so many issues with the first 15 or so.

Cosmoline
August 12, 2010, 12:59 AM
I use Hornady Unique lube, works great, and a tub will last nearly forever

Ditto that. Plus it doesn't get in your lungs or stink up the place like the spray lubes.

rscalzo
August 12, 2010, 01:09 AM
I use Dillon spray lube, shaken very well, and let it dry.

Same here. I put the cases in a gallon zip lock bag and give it a few shots of Dillon or Cabelas lube which is exactly the same except cheaper and available locally fpr pickup.

Hornady spray was a disaster for me and others.

It's not the dies. I've used them for years successfully along with every other brand. As stated, Lee will remove the case for a small fee.

lamazza
August 12, 2010, 01:29 AM
Another vote for Imperial Sizing wax. I've never had luck with the spray lube,and there is nothing wrong with Lee dies..

OYE
August 12, 2010, 02:14 AM
All I have used in the last 30 years is Lee dies and Lee lube. Many calibers, many thousands of rounds, no stuck cases, no bent rims, no dimpled shoulders, no issues at all.
What can I say ?

jcwit
August 12, 2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ranger335v

Thanks Dr. Phil, my emotions are just fine. People that usually comment on others emotions are usually the ones with the issues.

Well you ARE the one that used the hammer.

The die that was stuck was actually re-sprayed for a second time after having so many issues with the first 15 or so.

I was under the impression that it was the case that was stuck in the die, not the other way around.

I reload for around 40 different calibers using mostly Lee dies and have only experienced 1 problem with a stuck case. This was a 30/06 case that missed getting lubed and as I deprime in a seperate step without having the depriming punch in the resizing die I just took a machinests pin punch and dislodged the case, no problem.

Lee makes a quality product for a VERY reasonable price, if their products were junk they would have gone the way of the YUGO years ago.

Walkalong
August 12, 2010, 08:31 AM
I have been fortunate to never stick a case. Perhaps it is because I have never used anything but RCBS Case Lube II or Imperial Sizing Die Wax over the years.

I can not say anything about losing ones temper and banging something with a hammer. :o

nofishbob
August 12, 2010, 10:18 AM
The die that was stuck was actually re-sprayed for a second time after having so many issues with the first 15 or so.

I saw that the OP wrote the above. If i understand correctly he means that he sprayed the die itself with One Shot in addition to the cases.

In my brief but frustrating battle with stuck cases and One Shot, I did the same thing, figuring that a little One Shot up the die would help.

I did this three times (slow learner?) and each time resulted in a stuck case.

Some how, for me, spraying the die with One Shot seemed to increase the likelihood of sticking the next case sized.

Echoing what other have said: shaking the can of One Shot and letting it dry will avoid most problems. I am no longer a One Shot user....

Hope this helps!

Bob

WNTFW
August 12, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hey guys can we quit beating up on the OP (Gastitman)?

Sometimes things don't work as advertised and it is frustrating enough without being belittled.

Right now I have some .30-06 that is a bear to deal with. It is all one headstamp and the rest is no problem. I called Dr. Phil - he was no help!

jcwit
August 12, 2010, 10:47 AM

Sometimes things don't work as advertised and it is frustrating enough without being belittled.

Right now I have some .30-06 that is a bear to deal with. It is all one headstamp and the rest is no problem. I called Dr. Phil - he was no help!

Switch to Imperial sizing wax, Lanolin paste "available from Walmart or drug stores", Mink oil "actually a paste" as used to waterproof shoes, any of these will work wonders, and make sizing easier, I don't like to work any harder than necessary. I also rinse my brass off on white gas, aka coleman fuel, aka naptha, as I do not like all the grease in my polishing media. Just use a little common sense, and do it outside.

rbernie
August 12, 2010, 11:35 AM
The lube you are using is the single biggest contributor to the problem. Pretty much.

Well, the OP would have been far less likely to garner criticism if he hadn't blamed the brand of die for his issues but instead asked for advice on what caused the issue and how to fix it.

WNTFW
August 12, 2010, 11:46 AM
JC,
Already on the mink oil lubing regime. In fact I'm into the enhanced mink oil regime. I got lanolin but didn't like it as much as the mink oil.
Problem on the 06 is my die wasn't pushing the primer all the way out, even with the decap rod all the way down. The primers would stretch a good bit. I have 2 presses and would finish with a Lee universal decapper. The universal decapper would slip every time if I didn't start with the sizer. I just switched the shell holder from press to press as once the primer stretched the case was in the shellholder until it move one way or the other.
The Headstamp was KA73, IIRC. Primer crimp (& sealant?) was very effective. I almost tossed them.

WNTFW
August 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
Rbernie,
I agree on the lube and the hammer usage was over zealous. I think the OP got it after a certain point. It was starting to go overboard.

Now if someone had posted something like "Yeah, that is why I don't use Lee hammers, get a Dillon Blue Hammer" that might have been funny.

I have found lube to be one of the big factors in effecient sizing.

Master Blaster
August 12, 2010, 11:57 AM
After loading many thousands of.223 and .308 and .30-.06 with zero stuck cases using Dillon case lube which is greasy and messy, I decided to try Hornady one shot lube. I promptly stuck two .223 cases in two different dies, and one .308 case. I ended up sending the .308 die back to RCBS for removal.

Now I know folks just love Hornady one shot and will be along to tell you how great it is. My advice throw the One-Shet in the trash and get soem other lube imperial sizing wax works best, Lee is good, and Dillon is good but messy.

Most stuck case threads here have one thing in common HORNADY ONE SHOT.

SlamFire1
August 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
hornady case lube

A Lee hardly reduces the case by much. Wait till you try small base dies. I use those for almost every caliber I can get them in, but you will 100% stick a case in a small base die if you use one of those crappy spray on lubes.

I have used Imperial and RCBS water soluble for my rifle die sizing. I prefer RCBS because I wash the lube off with hot soapy water.

mugsie
August 12, 2010, 01:18 PM
I'm the type of guy who has to do everything himself. Why purchase lube? I buy a bottle of Lanolin from a health food store, mix it 1/3 to 2/3's Isopropel alcohol (regular rubbing alcohol), put it in a spray bottle and shake it up well.

Put my brass in a plastic bag, the kind they give you at the checkouts, squirt a couple of sprays in there, shake 'em up and they're good to resize. Once the alcohol evaporates you're left with a very think lanolin coating. Done 1000's upon 1000's of rifle cases and never had an issue.

Much cheaper and lasts forever.

USSR
August 12, 2010, 01:44 PM
One Shot is a fine lube for use with carbide sizing dies and a progressive press, but it lacks the film strength for real heavy duty sizing.

+1. Would never consider using One Shot on anything other than straight walled rounds in a carbide sizing die. Imperial Sizing Die Wax is THE lube for bottlenecked cartridge brass.

Don

rfwobbly
August 12, 2010, 02:06 PM
Yes, I lube every case, I put them in a shell holder and spray them with hornady case lube. ...I am not happy with Lee products.

I have no issue with the dies, and have never used the lube. I do know that a lot of those sprays take time to cure before they are ready to use. If you want to lube seconds before use, then get the RCBS lube pad and a can of Imperial. There's nothing quite like a thin, even coat of Imperial.

sonier
August 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
for rounds like that when things get tough i have a lube that works thousand times better than RCBS lube or hornady, go make a 50/50 solution of transmission fluid and marvels mystery oil. this is a very thin lube and helps a lot. sometimes that thick lube builds gunk in the case and makes things hard.

dsv424
August 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have been reloading .308 with Lee dies for 3 years now and have never hade a stuck case. I use Lyman lube and the pad and it has always worked great. I do experience some type cases being harder to resize than others(can't remember which right now) but I just get a bit more firmer with the arm on those. Once you get that case out of your resizer you may want to try a different brass manufacturer. Just a thought.

KeithET
August 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
I know how it is when things don't go my way. Stuff gets broken sometimes. Less often the older I get (and wiser I hope). :rolleyes:

As for case lube I started with RCBS case lube and a pad. Worked great but messy and time consuming to clean up. I started using Imperial Die Wax over 20 years ago. Have not used the RCBS lube and pad since. Way better but still a bit slow. When I do a large volume of cases (mostly when I am doing a batch of .223) I use Dillion's spray lube. Works as good a the RCBS.

Never used the one shot stuff, not likely to with all the issues I have seen posted here about stuck cases. Never stuck a case. Don't want to start now.

KeithET

Muttt
August 12, 2010, 05:36 PM
With my Redding and RCBS dies, you just screw out the rod holding the decapping pin (leaving the die in the press) and then slide a punch down the hole. Lightly tap and the stuck case slides out really easily. No harm to the case or the die. Relube and then give sizing another shot.

Whatever you did has to be operator error. You need to go back and read everything .... including the reloading manuals and the directions for your reloading tools.

I spent 2 weeks reading everything before I even tried to use my gear. Saved much heartache. Everything has gone smoothly and I am a novice reloader. I've only had one stuck case, and managed to get that out without having to call the firedepartment.

JimKirk
August 12, 2010, 06:32 PM
Most of my dies are older, so they may be different than yours Mutt, but how do you get the expander ball out of the case so you don't beat it up with the punch? I think just about all rifle dies are of the two die type, the sizer/deprime/expander die and a bullet seating die. That is unless you have the bushing style dies.

Help me understand how you're doing this so that I may learn.

Jimmy K

jcwit
August 12, 2010, 06:50 PM
Jim: Just checked my rifle dies, not all of them but I did check 30/06, 303,. 7.62x39, and in all cases the rod that is the depriming pin and the expander ball comes out the top of the die. These are standard Lee dies, not the RGB dies. So I see no problem.

ranger335v
August 12, 2010, 07:09 PM
Gasiman: "Yes, I lube every case, I put them in a shell holder and spray them with hornady case lube."

Spray lubed every case in a shell holder... and then allowed to dry 15 minutes?

(Perhaps my doctor hours should be posted for those who need my consolations! ;) Or to borrow my large hammer? )

wild willy
August 12, 2010, 07:25 PM
jcwit did you try to pull the expander up thru the die with a case in it?

jcwit
August 12, 2010, 07:43 PM
Nope, didn't think of that, it would be hard once the neck of the case was in the dies neck sizing area.

I didn't consider it as I decap my brass prior to resizing using a home made set up I deamed up. Just the way I like to do it.

However this whole topic goes back to why, oh why would anyone force cases into a die that hard? Just beyond my comprehension. Then take a hammer to it, WOW!

Muttt
August 12, 2010, 10:00 PM
Most of my dies are older, so they may be different than yours Mutt, but how do you get the expander ball out of the case so you don't beat it up with the punch? I think just about all rifle dies are of the two die type, the sizer/deprime/expander die and a bullet seating die. That is unless you have the bushing style dies.

Help me understand how you're doing this so that I may learn.

Jimmy K

Actually, now that you mention it. I had taken out the expander ball. I had previously resized these cases and then tried to chamber. They were slightly tight in the chamber. So, I put them back in the resizing die to bump them back a few 1000th. That's when they got stuck (not enough lube 2nd time through). So, they were easy to get out ..... without the expander ball attached.

My bad. It sure did come out easy though.

Gasitman
August 13, 2010, 12:10 AM
Actually it was the dies. I took it back to cabelas and bought some Redding dies, same brass, not one single issue, and same hornady spray.

So yes, I can blame it on the dies, and I can say I do not care for the Lee brand. Sorry to ruffle all your feathers, I know and can tell some of you love to pounce and dig through words on the screen, but all in all, none of you were here, non of you dealt with the problem, and not one single one of you saw what I did or did not do.

One guy in here actually realized the lynching you gave me, and with no details other than what I provided. I love how it is my fault, the lubes fault, God forbid the die may not of been made properly. :rolleyes:

jcwit
August 13, 2010, 12:19 AM
Not made properly? Then return it to Lee. I still can't see jaming the brass into the die till it becomes stuck, but I guess.....................................

Bad things happen to all things made by man!

qajaq59
August 13, 2010, 08:55 AM
Well, if you're happy and your new die works, all is well.

ranger335v
August 13, 2010, 09:28 AM
"One guy in here actually realized the lynching you gave me, and with no details other than what I provided."

A "lynching" with "no details other than what I provided."??

All any of us can do is take a web poster's words as they are presented. It's too hard to try prying out a difference between what's written and what might have been meant. My bet is you are actually using the lube according to directions now.

JimKirk
August 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
Gasitman... glad everything worked out for you. I too have a temper and I've broke things that cost a lot more than a set of dies.

Muty & Jcwit ... I was wondering how you could get the expander out like that!!
I'm glad that I wasn't a total idiot for thinking it would be hard to get that ball out while the brass is still in the sizing part of the die...

I have had two stuck cases in my 41+ years of loading, both RCBS dies, neither was the fault of the die. One was a 25/06 and the other was a 7mm Mag. I ruined the decapping stem on the first by letting my drill grab when it broke through the base of the brass. The second time I knew how to do it, but I still had to cut the case to get the expander ball out. Now I have a RCBS style stuck case remover(homemade)... a section of round bar, drilled with a 1/2" drill and a drill bit and a bolt. I did use one those self threading metal screw on a stuck die one of my friends had. Worked just as good as the tapped hole.

Jimmy K

qajaq59
August 13, 2010, 12:38 PM
I bought my stuck case remover on the advice of the guy that taught me to reload way back in the 60s. It sat in the drawer for better then 30 years before I needed it. Someone came in and asked me a question, and I didn't lube the .308 case before running it up into the die. My advice, for what it's worth. Just buy one and stick it in a drawer till you need it. They're less then $20 and will save you tons of aggravation.

James2
August 13, 2010, 02:54 PM
Ya, its the lube. I know, redundant at this point.

I just want to say that I have been using high temp bearing grease for many years. No stuck cases. I just have a little tin of the grease and get some on the fingers and rub it on the case just before sizing. It doesn't take much, just a fine film. After sizing, I wipe it off with a cotton rag.

I think with some experience, you will learn that you can tell if a case is requiring too much force to go in the die, and back it out and relube it before it gets stuck.

Bovice
August 13, 2010, 02:59 PM
I feel you on the "rage" thing, Gasitman. You were probably fiddling with it for a long time, were ready for some relief and have it working, but it didn't. And then you reached your breaking point. The best thing to do is go inside and have a beer or two, and then go back to your bench, beer in hand, and fiddle with it some more. Then it's fun!

But every now and then, I will admit to grabbing the hammer and taking a swing. Sometimes you just have to gas it, man. Pun intended.

jleyring
August 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
I only have a select few Lee dies but never had anything that bad happen. I mostly use RCBS reloading tools. There case lube works great. Just put it on a blank ink pad and roll the cases over it and they will get all lubed up. Just my .02

Gasitman
August 13, 2010, 03:53 PM
WOW, it is not the lube, why can you not think that I got a bad die? Do you think that 100% of them are flawless? It amazes me on how many of you carry on to prove your point.

And you act like I got a hammer and beat the die savagely like a mad man, I hit it a few times, lightly with no success, then I hit it a bit harder and then it bent.

The Internet is something else. Some of you need to get away from the keyboard for a few hours.:rolleyes:

jcwit
August 13, 2010, 03:53 PM
Well I guess we can put this to rest now.

RustyFN
August 13, 2010, 04:48 PM
Ya, its the lube. I know, redundant at this point.

WOW, it is not the lube, why can you not think that I got a bad die?

I have to agree, it's not the lube. I have been using Hornady One Shot for a few years lubing rifle brass and have had no problems.

qajaq59
August 13, 2010, 04:56 PM
Well I guess we can put this to rest now. Absolutely!!!!

Palehorseman
August 13, 2010, 05:00 PM

Just the way I would go at it, See those flats at top of die, those are for a wrench, see the brass case head at bottom of die, it is crying for a vise. Have you tried to remove it that way?

Over several decades of pad hand lubing I have found nothing superior to STP, never had a problem with it.

rcmodel
August 13, 2010, 05:04 PM
Those flats are for a wrench so you can loosen the collet nut.

Once it is loose, use a plastic mallet or brass hammer on the rod to drive the case out.

Clamping the case head in a vice would be counter-productive.

rc

Gasitman
August 13, 2010, 05:14 PM

Just the way I would go at it, See those flats at top of die, those are for a wrench, see the brass case head at bottom of die, it is crying for a vise. Have you tried to remove it that way?

Over several decades of pad hand lubing I have found nothing superior to STP, never had a problem with it.
STP, of STP oil additives?

jcwit
August 13, 2010, 06:14 PM
Ya, STP works but you have to use a solvent to remove it or tumble it. Its more messy than Emperial Sizing Wax, and I don't like all the lube in my polishing media.

dsv424
August 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
I realize this is in retrospect but I would have sent the die to Lee and have them investigate what the problem was with the die. At least this way Lee would send you a free replacement and you would not have purchased another die set. I'm pretty sure this was just an unfortunate fluke and you would have been happy with the replacement. Sorry for your troubles though. I have 16 different die sets from Lee and have never had a problem with any of them.

Palehorseman
August 13, 2010, 08:11 PM
Ya, STP works but you have to use a solvent to remove it or tumble it. Its more messy than Emperial Sizing Wax, and I don't like all the lube in my polishing media.

Not a problem for me, I just use a non-flammable, non-toxic and odorless artist's oil paint thinner to wipe the brass down.

Those flats are for a wrench so you can loosen the collet nut.

In this instance, the head of the brass securely clamped in serrated vise jaws would allow one to put a wrench on the flats and turn the die in a twisting motion to free the cartridge.

wild willy
August 14, 2010, 06:13 PM
It could be the die I stuck one case in my first 25 years of reloading a 270 in a redding die I bought a stuck case remover. Which I got to use a lot several years later my son bought a .223 so I got a set of dies Hornadys. First time we were loading 10 or 12 rounds one stuck no big deal thought we missed lubing one pulled the case. 15 or 20 shells later same thing. After you stick one your are real careful making sure you lube em. To look at the dies they look fine.Next time I was at the gun shop I bought a set of RCBS haven't stuck a case since.I use imperial sizing wax. I did't send them back should have just threw them in a drawer somewhere. stuck a lot more than just the two times listed above.Like I said the dies look fine don't know why cases stick doesn't make any sense

dhfenno
August 14, 2010, 06:58 PM
I tried Hornady spray lube earlier this month which immediately resulted in a stuck case. After I finished cussing and banging it out of my $12.00 Lee die with a hammer and punch I picked up a bottle of Dillon spray lube and haven't looked back.
2k rounds of assorted .308 loaded this month and not another stuck case since the lube switch.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck brass, this is not good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!