FNP versus FNX

PDA

HOOfan_1
August 11, 2010, 09:02 PM
I am in the market for a 40 S&W pistol. I was looking at the HK USP and SIG P226, until I went to my local gun stores and tried out the SIG P229 and FNP and FNX.

I found the slide release on the USP to far forward for my small thumb and too stiff (obviously with use this may change).

I liked the P229 a lot and thought perhaps it may be a better size than the P226. The only things I didn't like about the P229 was the price and the fact that there is no safety. However what I did like about it as opposed to the other guns I tried out was the decocker. Most of the other I tried pounded the hammer home as soon as the decocker was pressed, while the SIG you press the decocker and can let it up more slowly.

I also really liked the FNP and FNX. The price is right ($200 less than the SIG), they come with a decocker and the ones I handled also had a manual safety.

So what are the differences between the FNX and the FNP? I thought the FNP didn't have a manual safety, but I handled one that specifically said FNP on the slide(it was a black slide with tan frame model), and it had a manual safety as well as decocker. The only differences I could see were perhaps a different grip angle and more rail slots on the FNX

If you enjoyed reading about "FNP versus FNX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Setzer77
August 11, 2010, 10:36 PM
The biggest differences I am aware of (former FNP9M user) are in the firing assembly. The FNP models largely came with a decock only fuction. The FNX is like a USP ver 1. in the respect that down decocks, up places the weapon on safe. As near as I could tell, the FNP/X series is superbly designed. I never had any issues with mine.

HOOfan_1
August 11, 2010, 10:58 PM
the FNP I handled apparently was a "USG" version and may be the only FNP with a decock and manual safety...not sure. I would guess if I were getting the FN...the FNX being newer would be the way to go.

I love the SIG, but $300 is hard to argue against when the company is solid like FN

gearhead
August 11, 2010, 11:02 PM
Biggest functional difference is that the mag release is ambi on the FNX. The FNX also has a more agressive texture on the grips and comes not only with two different contours of backstrap but also two different sets of textures. The safety/decocker levers are polymer and slightly more ergonomic on the FNX also.

Sounds like the FNP you looked at was a USG model, if so it would have had forward slide serrations as well as the manual safety. Either one is a great handgun, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Edit to add:
Oops, you typed your post about it being the USG while I was typing my post.

The FNP was available with the manual safety on non-USG models but they were fairly scarce.

If you enjoyed reading about "FNP versus FNX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!