Kydex Help

PDA

Dimis
August 11, 2010, 11:55 PM
looking into making a holster for my friends IWI baby eagle in .45ACP with a streamlight TLR-2S

seeing as how the generic holsters are wobbly and junky were gonna do a custom build

but i have a few questions

what thickness do you guys tend to use for holsters

is there a specific grade to stick to? we have found some with different names like kydex100 and kydex-v which is supposedly a recycled form

also any good suppliers to look into?

were doing a platform that can be attatched to a belt or dropleg rig any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Kydex Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Valkman
August 12, 2010, 12:14 AM
All I know is my buddies that make knife sheaths use the thicker .090 stuff rather than the .060. The .090 is very stiff.

unloved
August 12, 2010, 02:18 PM
You want Kydex100.
KYDEX® 100 HIGH IMPACT FIRE RATED SHEET
Offering superior performance in formability, rigidity, impact resistance, fire retardance, and chemical
resistance
GENERAL INFORMATION
Super tough, durable Kydex 100 acrylic/PVC alloy sheet brings new dimensions to thermoformers
in: formability, rigidity, breakage resistance, chemical resistance and fire retardancy. This high performance
thermoplastic sheet is available in a wide range of standard and customer colors; textures;
and sheet sizes. It is Underwriter's Laboratories Inc recognized for UL Std 94 V-0/5V and UL 746C
and has 18 ft-lbs/in (953 J/m) Notched Izod impact resistance.
SUGGESTED END-USES
• Housings for equipment such as photocopy machines, instrument panels, computers,
• Hidden parts for equipment such as vending macines, air ducts, grilles, etc.
• Orthopedic braces
• Medical equipment parts (for example: centrifuge covers, blood analyzers, etc.)
• In-store displays
• Electrical equipment and any components requiring either UL 94 V-0, 5V or or UL746C ratings
FEATURES
SUPERIOR FORMABILITY - For deep or hard to form parts or where good finished detail is
required, Kydex 100 is unsurpassed.
RIGIDITY - Kydex 100 is more rigid than most other thermoplastics resulting in parts that will
deform less when loaded.
BREAKAGE RESISTANCE - With a Notched Izod impact resistance of 18 ft-lbs/in (953 J/m),
Kydex 100 offers unsurpassed resistance to breakage.
CHEMICAL RESISTANCE - Kydex meets the highest standard for chemical resistance for ther
moplastic materials.
FIRE RETARDANCY - Kydex is recognized by Underwriter's Laboratories Inc. for Standard 94
V-0 and 5V and UL 746C in all gauges and colors.
FABRICATION Excellent forming properties result in uniform wall thicknesses and crisp detail,
plus easy machining and fabricating using conventional methods, further expanding finished
part possibilities.

AFAIK, all of the knife and sheath making supply companies that you'll find online only carry Kydex 100, so, if you order from Jantz Supply, Texas Knifemaker's, knifekits.com, etc., that's what you'll get.

zignal_zero
August 12, 2010, 06:35 PM
i, generally, use .080 for holsters.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kydex Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!