Vintage Red-Dot, AL5, and AL7

PDA

WindowLicker
August 12, 2010, 06:45 PM
Got a question for you guys. The powder I inherited a while back is still good, it is not rusty, and smells normal, however I am curious if the burn rate of Red-Dot has changed since about 1970. I do have some old books still but I wanted to get input from you guys and not the ones writing the books;).

I am using the AL5 and AL7 ( and I think there is some AL8 in there as well) in 38spl/357 and it works well when I can find data from almost 40 years ago.

The Red-dot will be 12Ga and revolver loads.

Any help would be great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vintage Red-Dot, AL5, and AL7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
frankge
August 13, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'd send alliant an email, Ben and staf are really great about getting back to you.

MADDOG
August 13, 2010, 04:01 PM
I picked up an old 8lb cardboard container of RD last year. Been using it ever since without any problems. Start lower than max and work up. It should be all right.

Ateam-3
August 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
I also load AL5 and AL7. This powder must be 40+ years old. I have found some reloading data in a couple of older manuals (Speer, Herter's) from the 60's. I have had no problems with it for 38 special.

I do not know if the burn rate on the Red Dot has changed or not. Contacting Alliant is probably the best thing to do.

WindowLicker
August 16, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks I will send them an email and find out.

Ateam - I too have a couple of old Lyman, Speer, and Herter's books from the 60's. They are great to have on hand for just this type of thing.

Thanks again.

rcmodel
August 16, 2010, 02:24 PM
Red Dot has never changed that I know of.

If it had, about 50 gazillion shotgun press powder-bushings would have become obsolete & dangerous overnight!!

rc

evan price
August 17, 2010, 02:12 AM
There was a formulation change to Red Dot some time ago, in 2000 iirc. It was then relabelled "New, Cleaner-Burning Red Dot!" I think.
I don't think it actually affected burn rate or VMD though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vintage Red-Dot, AL5, and AL7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!