Norinco 1911

PDA

loadedround
August 12, 2010, 09:30 PM
There is a fellow I know trying to sell a used Norinco 1911 clone for 900.00. I am aware that the government banned the sale or importation of Norinco firearms into the US, and it is also my understanding that these 1911 clones were POS. Any comments regarding quality would be appreciated. BTW, I have no intention of buying this pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Boris bush
August 12, 2010, 09:36 PM
They are not POSs. They are not worth $900.00 either..

js2013
August 12, 2010, 09:39 PM
Norincos make a very good base gun. Barrel fit is usually poor but the slide and frame steel are the best you'll find (at least on the older ones, I'm not sure what they're using these days). But $900 bucks is way to much. If you can find one in good shape for $300-ish it's a good deal even if you have to fit a new barrel.

atblis
August 12, 2010, 09:59 PM
In nice shape, it's a $400 or so gun around me.

HuntAndFish
August 12, 2010, 10:03 PM
For $900 you can have a brand new Colt.

herohog
August 12, 2010, 10:03 PM
They are great guns made with better steel than the ones made for the US army. They are just plain old 1911A1s. Nothing beyond that. If ya want a good base 1911, they are fine but 900 is WAY too much. A good one shouldn't run over $500 or so.

schmeky
August 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
$900.00 ??? Like Richard Pryor used to say, wish in one hand ($900.00 for a used Nork), and poop in the other . . . . . see which one fills up faster . . . . ;)

Full Metal Jacket
August 12, 2010, 10:14 PM
my first gun was a norinco 1911 when they first hit american shores. it was the biggest jamming POS. others had better luck with theirs.

if you do buy it, it's worth no more than $450.

S&Wfan
August 12, 2010, 11:51 PM
$900 should buy you TWO of 'em in great condition.

Before the China ban on 'em, they were considered a good, cheap 1911 to modify into an economically done custom .45.

Hmmm . . . I wonder what would happen if we'd banned all the other products from China too . . . back in the early 90s!!!;)

Steve C
August 13, 2010, 02:40 AM
It depends upon how much it was customized and by whom. Norinco's where one of the few models that Clark accepted for their .460 Rowland conversions. The top gunsmiths used the Norinco pistols to make top notch guns so if its been customized into a Bullseye gun or other it may be worth $900. If its just an untouched used with all the factory OEM Chinese parts, $400 or less would be a more reasonable price.

okespe04
August 13, 2010, 02:46 AM
They do seem to be getting harder to find but $900! No way. Hopefully some day... I would lose mine in a second for $900. Any takers???

maroast
August 13, 2010, 04:38 AM
$900 yikes. Lets see how that one works out for him.

zhyla
August 13, 2010, 10:28 AM
Wow, I shoulda snagged my dad's before he sold it. I think he paid $200-ish for it back in the 90's when they still imported them.

Man, if they ever lift the China import ban guns are gonna be cheap and US manufacturers are gonna be poor.

ForumSurfer
August 13, 2010, 10:42 AM
My brother in law has one in 9mm. It's probably never been disassembled, much less cleaned properly. It lived several years in the dash of a 4wd bronco.

I've been trying to liberate it from his neglect since we've known each other. It is no rare find, but it's reliability to fire amazes me. I just want it because it's an interesting 9mm 1911.

If I offered him $900, he'd let me have it and the beater hunting truck it lives in from time to time. But I wouldn't pay a dime over $300 for it, unless it was in outstanding condition.

Carl N. Brown
August 13, 2010, 10:49 AM
A guy at the club has a Norinco 1911 and often outshoots me. They are terrible guns.

Just kidding. But they are not 900.00 guns unless a Norinco frame and slide have been used as the basis of a really nice custom job.

SlamFire1
August 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
Back in the 80's, Wilson Combat told me the Norinco and the Colt were the only guns worth spending the money customizing.

Twenty years later there are a few more makers on the market.

However the Norinco was a good basis for a custom M1911.

Friends who have spent the money find out that the finished pistol is worth less than what they put into the Norinco.

Fredericianer
August 13, 2010, 11:38 AM
Even here in Denmark a new Norinco 1911 costs less than 600 USD!

Dino
August 13, 2010, 05:03 PM
$900 is INSANE. :eek:

herohog
August 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
I sold mine a short while back for $450 and had plenty of people interested in it at that price. I admit it was priced at the high end of the scale but it was a solid, well cared for gun in perfect working order. The ONLY changes I made to it was to throat it and polish the feed ramps. After doing that, she ate any .45 ammo I fed her and ran just fine on those flying ashtray Gold Dots! Oh, I also put a set of Pachmayer grips on it and had 3 spare magazines for her.

http://herohog.com/images/guns/Norinco45ACP.jpg

Jim K
August 13, 2010, 08:11 PM
One of the most dead reliable guns I have ever owned. I logged almost 9000 rounds through one with zero failures of any kind. If that is a POS, all guns should be like it.

BTW, they are (or at least were) all forged, the old fashioned way; no castings, plastic, or MIM parts.

Jim

BCCL
August 13, 2010, 09:11 PM
Every one I've ever fired was a solid no frills WORKING gun!

But that price is WAAAAAAAY out of line!

Girodin
August 13, 2010, 11:12 PM
There is a fellow I know trying to sell a used Norinco 1911 clone for 900.00.

That gun is worth perhaps half that and $400 is more like it. I'd buy a Norc 1911 but not for $900. To get $900 it would have to be a nice custom build by a gunsmith of good repute.

it is also my understanding that these 1911 clones were POS

Your understanding is about as far of as his price. Use google and you can find more info on Norcs than you care to read. They are far from POS. They were a platform used to make custom guns by gunsmiths such as Bill Wilson back in the day.

sophijo
August 14, 2010, 05:50 PM
Several of the auction sites have 95%+ Norks for $450-$500.

TonyT
August 14, 2010, 07:17 PM
Norinco barrels are nothing to be sneeezed at. I have one which I use. IOt is soliodl;y made but certainly not $900. I would say $400 to $500 max. For $900 you could purchased a nicely use and not abused Dan Wesson Pointman, SA Trophy MAtch, etc - already fitted with adjustable sights etc.

ulflyer
August 15, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'm a big NORK fan, having owned at least half doz. Most were checked by a noted Smith and the lockup on all were fine. I have one main NORK shooter that I've not done anything with other than put taller sights on, and prefer it over the Springer Loaded I had, and my present 1991Al. Never a failure due to the gun. Eats my reloads like candy.
They are no longer a "cheap" gun and if you find one for $400, buy it. I sold a couple last spring for $450 when I was paring down my supply of guns. They were NIB tho.

sophijo
August 15, 2010, 05:30 PM
Just to beat myself up a little! How much were Norks when first sold here?

Teapot
August 15, 2010, 06:17 PM
$500 is a good price if it is almost new. Perhaps 6 as the supply is thinning out. I have one I bought for $399 three years or so ago; I got the main spring housing flattened out and checkered and a better and lighter trigger for it. It can shoot very well indeed.
I have a Gen 3 Glock 21SF to go along with it but I prefer the 1911. the below photograph is old and taken before I got the new trigger done and the ms flattened.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Teapotteapot/th_PC180216.jpg (http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Teapotteapot/PC180216.jpg)

ulflyer
August 15, 2010, 06:38 PM
Sophio: Many years ago before Clinton put the ban on, they were about $200. For a long time, when they were still plentiful, and folks got the word out what a good basic gun it is, they became well known. In recent years, with diminishing supply, lots of new shooters have never heard of it.

Same goes for the German and Bulgarian Makarov's in 9X18mm. Incredibly simple construction, incredibly accurate, extremely functional. I got into these for awhile and like the Norks and assorted 1911 types, one was never enuf. I think I could qualify for that hoarding show on TV.

Sold most everthing off last Spring at the Greensboro show due to advancing age and health issues. Kept just a few shooters that I couldn't part with and a couple collectibles.

And then came the M1 Carbines.........OMG, hoarding once again!!

Iron Sight
August 22, 2010, 01:17 AM
Deleted

svaz
August 23, 2010, 12:56 AM
I liked my Norc and I miss it. The only reason I sold it was that I decided to go with a single caliber and .45 wasn't it. Like others here, I think $900 is about 100% too much. Half of that at 95% seems reasonable, although even that's too high for my pocket book.

sophijo
August 25, 2010, 09:21 AM
Yesiree that "hoarding" deal is a slippery slope indeed...been there, still there; and gotta admit; like especially regarding firearms!

mister2
August 25, 2010, 09:43 AM
Some norks get upgraded, some do not. For the most part, every one that has come my way is a good, solid shooter.

Value is subjective. Something that shoots well is probably worth $400 to me. Somethng that saved my life is probably worth more, and maybe not for sale at any price.

This gun save your life?

dirty dave
August 26, 2010, 12:25 AM
They are tough guns I have a 460 rowland conversion from Brownell's on mine.And it runs them through with no problems.Great caliber.

rtz
August 26, 2010, 06:11 AM
What kind of petition or who to lean on to get the Clinton ban on Norinco stuff removed?

Fredericianer
August 26, 2010, 06:16 AM
Anyone here know anything about the high capacity Norincos (NP28)? I've seen one for sale here for about 200 dollars.

jcs271
August 26, 2010, 05:37 PM
I bought one NIB when they first came out. Still have the receipt for $199. All forged frame/slide. Shoots like a champ and has been said before, one of the few guns (other than Colt) that the big names like Wilson, Swenson etc. would work on back in the day.

I should have bought a dozen of them!

sarge83
September 4, 2010, 02:57 PM
I just ran across one today at the local shop. Appears to be stock except for a replacement Hogue grips. Barrel is clean and rifling crisp with no markings, appears to be in good condition. Asking was $349 plus tax, since I am a frequent flyer at this establishment $330OTD, thinking about picking this one up.

schmeky
September 4, 2010, 04:47 PM
sarge83,

Yep, I'd pick that up too.

I was at a gunshow in Texas many years ago and there was a guy selling off a bunch of his guns. He had a like new Norinco 1911 going for $175.00; I bought it, my first one.

Wish I still had it, but I've had several since then and still have a nork in my collection.

mister2
September 4, 2010, 06:19 PM
If it was me, and it wasn't eating money, that Nork would be GONE!

ulflyer
September 4, 2010, 08:33 PM
Sarge: I've had a bunch of Norks and in my opinion they are hard to beat. Better grab it. I sold two this past spring for $400 and $450, but they were NIB.

Scratchy
September 5, 2010, 12:03 AM
I heard they were made with old railroad track with was great steel.

lonegunman
September 6, 2010, 01:49 AM
They are made from fine steel, especially compared with today's cast crap. Anything over $500.00 is for those folks smoking crack.

sarge83
November 6, 2010, 03:44 PM
Well I went back after my initial post to buy the norinco and it was gone. Flash forward to today. I went back in the shop to get a rifle out of layaway and it was back on display. The person who had put it in layaway changed their mind or didn't make their payments. So it went into layaway for me, $340 OTD.

sophijo
November 6, 2010, 04:14 PM
Quote:
So now we get into the 5100 alloy Norinco 1911 in particular. 5100 is an EXCELLENT receiver material. It hardens very well on the surface but maintains an adequately ductile core. This gives great wear resistance and great resistance to plastic deformation (deformation that causes the parts to permanently deform or warp). The one achilles heel to 5100 series alloys is that they are notoriously hard to machine. Norinco, I suspect, machines their parts with carbide cutters prior to heat treating. On a finished gun the only way you're going to cut it with HSS mill bits is if you spot-anneal the steel with a torch first. Most smiths have to buy carbide mill bits to work the steel, and even then there's a very high tool wear rate. This is probably why so few smiths will do Novak cuts to a Norinco slide - they probably only have HSS tooling!

9mmforMe
November 6, 2010, 11:29 PM
I don't know why I sold mine :( It was sharp looking and a great shooter.
Yeah I do...it was to fund another gun...should have sold something else, like one of the million Taurus revolvers I was into at the time. <kicking self in the @*@!!>

PabloJ
November 7, 2010, 12:17 AM
For $900 selection of second-hand 1911 style .45 pistols should be like cereal isle at supermarket. At that price unused Norinco with box would be near bottom of my wish list.

Girodin
November 7, 2010, 12:20 AM
So it went into layaway for me, $340 OTD.

Good price on a good gun. When people talk about the best 1911 values I personally think Norcs should be high on that list if not at the top of it. Had I seen it for $340 it would have been mine, and I don't really even need another 1911.

jcs271
March 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
Had my ffl back in the 80's and paid $200 delivered. Great guns out of very high quality steel. One of the few guns that all of the custom smiths would work on back in the day.

el Godfather
March 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
Norinco 1911 sounds like Kung Pao Steak. Doesn't even sound right, but they work- to some that's what's it all about. They look like there has been no improvement since 1913.

Sam Cade
March 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
This thread was started back in 2010. I bet he has made a decision by now.

The War Wagon
March 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
There is a fellow I know trying to sell a used Norinco 1911 clone for 900.00. I am aware that the government banned the sale or importation of Norinco firearms into the US, and it is also my understanding that these 1911 clones were POS. Any comments regarding quality would be appreciated. BTW, I have no intention of buying this pistol.

100% correct - they suck-diddly-ucked. Had not KLIN - TON I banned them, they'd of STOPPED importing them due to LACK of sales.

Bought one new in February of '93. It started jamming on the second mag. :cuss: Of hardball. :eek:

You couldn't pay me $9,000 to take one. :barf:

atblis
March 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Norinco 1911 sounds like Kung Pao Steak. Doesn't even sound right, but they work- to some that's what's it all about. They look like there has been no improvement since 1913.
There's been some huge improvements in metalurgy.

iblong
March 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
I have my eye on one at my LGS for under 300.00 and think I may pick it for a summer project/build.

atblis
March 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
If it's in nice shape, that's a very good price. I'd snag it sooner than later.

sarge83
March 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
I have shot mine quite a bit and it's accurate and not a hiccup thus far.

My son loves the nork and wants it when he is old enough to get a permit and carry.

For $300 or less I would jump on it asap. Good hunting!

1911Tuner
March 16, 2012, 03:24 PM
100% correct - they suck-diddly-ucked. Had not KLIN - TON I banned them, they'd of STOPPED importing them due to LACK of sales.

Bought one new in February of '93. It started jamming on the second mag. Of hardball.

This assessment comes from the only one that you bought?

All of'em? Really?

Wow.

Gtimothy
March 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
I bougt a Norinco 1911 frame from a friend for $50.00 back in the 80's and it became the base for my first build. I've never had a single issue with the frame but I used Milsurp parts to keep it on the cheap which lead to issues. As I could afford new parts, I replaced them and now have a reliable gun. A used Norinco for $900.00? Too rich for my blood! Maybe $300.00 is more realistic!

CoRoMo
March 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
I was more or less thrown out of a good gunsmith's shop when I asked him to check the head space on one. He had quite a rant about how much of a piece of trash the Norcs are.

He showed some ignorance that day. And of course, he didn't get the money in my pocket either.

amd6547
March 16, 2012, 07:13 PM
I bought a Norinco last year which was new in box, for $425.
I have only put about 200 rounds through it, mixed hardball and JHP.
Zero malfunctions, and decent accuracy.
I did a lot of reading on Norinco 1911's both before and after I bought mine...the posts here are the first I have seen claiming jam problems.
The only problems I have read about concern some norincos having premature barrel locking lug wear.

nathan
March 17, 2012, 01:39 AM
Everyone who owns Norinco 1911 thinks they have a goldmine that everyone wants. At most they could reach $ 500 if in new in box but other than that the Nork 1911 are not that high of $900.

atblis
March 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
A quick survey of Gunbroker auctions (ones that actually sold) shows
NIB $500 to $600
Used but decent $400 to $450 ish
With issues, $350ish

TonyT
March 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
The Norinco pistols apparently were made of very tought steel and had barrels which had an excellent reputation for accuracy. That being said they are built much like the Russian guns with plenty of machining marks on the inside where they do not impact on he guns performance. Solid guns but not worth $900.

Keb
March 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
My early 90's one is still 95%, rather loose, feeds perfectly, is a tad bit less accurate than a name brand 1911. Bluing looks like a 1932 Smith.

amd6547
March 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
Since we will probably never see any more new Norinco 1911's in this "free" country, who is to say what a NIB one is or will be worth?

The War Wagon
March 18, 2012, 10:51 PM
This assessment comes from the only one that you bought?

All of'em? Really?

Wow.

You're welcome to MY old one - and ALL others. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy088.gif

1911Tuner
March 19, 2012, 06:42 AM
You're welcome to MY old one - and ALL others.

Now all I have to do is raise the money...

I've owned an even dozen Norincos, now down to six, and I've been involved with about three times that many more to some degree. Either a little tweak on an extractor or polish up a disconnect or eliminate a little grittiness in a trigger...to barrel replacement and fitting to slide/frame tightening. Back in the day, they sold a lotta Norincos in this area. They were literally everywhere you looked, and they were generally well-liked...because in spite of the "Diamond in the Rough" niche that they occupied...they flat ran.

The general concensus was along the lines of: "Well...it ain't pretty and it's not bughole accurate...but I can't get this thing to choke."

I knew many more people who owned'em in multiples, having been duly impressed with the general performance, they went back and bought one or two more. Around here, we're very big on the "Two is one and one is none" philosophy.

The early ones often had barrel fit issues related to insufficient vertical lug engagement, and it was a slide/frame dimension problem. That problem seems to have been corrected after about a year, as the percentage of bad ones was low. I've personally seen only three with that particular glitch, and it was a bad one. They'd beat the upper barrel lugs to gobbits within 500 rounds.

Of all the Norinco "Model of the 1911A1" pistols that I've encountered...there was only one real lemon. A good friend in Tennessee picked it up at a gun show, and realized why the price was so low after his first outing with it. It had every problem known to the 1911 and a couple that I'd never seen. Like running the fault codes on a Ford, I had to start at one end and work my way to the other. I wound up with about 25 hours in the thing before it finally submitted to my whims and started to behave like a proper 1911.
I now refer to it as "The Nork from Hell" whenever we speak of it. He calls it "The Rehab Nork." He reports that it's been 100% ever since I ran the gauntlet with it, and I have to admit that this one nearly whipped me. I'm not one to give up easily, but I was ready to buy it from him just so I could take a big hammer to it to keep the demons that inhabited it from escaping and possessing other innocent pistols.

Maybe you were unfortunate enough to have had its evil twin.

HisSoldier
March 21, 2012, 03:29 AM
You're welcome to MY old one - and ALL others.

That got my attention! I'd gladly take it. The one I have works very well, and as far as I know it's the only 1911 I've ever seen with a hard chromed barrel.

50 years ago we all thought Japanese goods were junk, everyone knows better now except the ones with such bias blindeness they can't see. 20 years ago Chinese goods earned a bad reputation, but their quality control has reversed all that in spades.

In another 20 years India will get the message that America has forgotten, that quality equals long term loyalty. When they do it will be their time to be the newest "Japan" or "Korea".

PabloJ
March 21, 2012, 05:52 AM
While that is 2x more then I would pay for one in top shape there are some out there paying $1300+ for Soviet era military Makarovs. For some money must really grow on trees. Five bucks buys very good pair of pliers form PRC I'm sure these are at least as good as $400 1911s from Philippines when Chinese had an empire Europeans lived in mud huts with straw roofs.

PabloJ
March 21, 2012, 06:12 AM
For $900 you can have a brand new Colt.
Isn't Colt out of handgun business.......? There is no cause for concern because new standard is Ruger SR1911 and Colt made ones are not really needed now.

skt239
March 21, 2012, 10:15 AM
Isn't Colt out of handgun business.......? There is no cause for concern because new standard is Ruger SR1911 and Colt made ones are not really needed now.

Surely you jest...

Swing
March 21, 2012, 10:19 AM
They are not POSs. They are not worth $900.00 either..

This. They are a solid piece, but that price is BS. If all you are after is a decent shooter, check out the RIA for less than half that.

Jacob L Freeman
May 14, 2012, 05:08 AM
When I saw "Made in China" on my incerdibly "Buy American" grandpa's full size 1911 it made me cringe. But not so bad that I didn't want to shoot it. Much to my surprise, it felt good in my hand, never jammed, shot reliably and was accurate, even with crap brand ammo that jammed my Mauser. If you covered up the wording and had me shoot it I never would have guessed it was anything other than American.

That said, despite being a good gun, I still would never own one, and laugh when I see them being advertised for the same price as an entry level Springfield or used Kimber.

gyvel
May 14, 2012, 05:49 AM
The man is "fishing" for a sucker.

diyj98
May 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
I remember calling Wayne Novak's shop back in the 80's about doing some work on a Norinco. At the time they told that they felt the Norinco was of inferior quality and they wouldn't work on them. That being said, I have a Norninco 1911 that works great and seems to be a fairly well made pistol. The various Norinco rifles I've owned have all been super accurate but crudely made internally.

GCBurner
May 15, 2012, 11:03 AM
I've got one I bought N.I.B. for about $300 when they were still importing them. If I could find another one in that price range, I'd buy it, too. Very solidly made guns, and Colt parts are interchangeable; it's basically like a GI issue 1911A1 as far as fit and finish goes. I replaced the plastic grips with checkered walnut, added an ambidextrous safety, and a stainless steel full-length guide rod with a fitted barrel bushing to mine. It shoots very well, and even feeds lead semi-wadcutter target ammo reliably, which is something my Glock won't do. I wouldn't pay $900 for one, though if I could find another one for less than $400, I'd be tempted. I consider the Norc as good as any of the imported 1911s like those from RIA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!