Chart of Powder Bulk Density?

PDA

.455_Hunter
August 13, 2010, 05:06 PM
Is there is listing of the bulk (as poured) densities of the various reloading powders, like so many grains per cubic inch or cubic cm? It would be nice to get an idea of which powders are more "bulky" versus others.
Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Chart of Powder Bulk Density?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
August 13, 2010, 05:17 PM
Here is a powder density chart someone posted here before.

.455_Hunter
August 13, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks! That a great chart, just missing some the newest powders.

Does Winchester WSF really have a density of only 1.19 gr/cc, or is that a typo? That would be bulkier than Trail Boss.

Walkalong
August 13, 2010, 06:26 PM
WSF is a fairly dense flattened ball powder. Similar to HS-6 etc. 1.19 has to be a typo

MMCSRET
August 13, 2010, 06:48 PM
Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition, by Lee has a very good chart. They print it so you can calculate rough settings for the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. It is a good reference whether you use the powder measure or not.

Walkalong
August 13, 2010, 07:26 PM
My understanding is both of these charts are from Lee.

Kernel
August 13, 2010, 09:58 PM
Here's a link to Lee's most current VMD charted, dated 5-28-09:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD'S.pdf

Trailboss is the bulkiest powder..... ever!

wrangler5
August 14, 2010, 01:43 AM
Lee includes a similar chart with their Disk powder measures, that gives not only the VMD number but the approximate weight each of their disk cavities throw of each powder. (As with most Lee powder data, the chart is usually a bit heavier than what the disks actually throw.)

Grump
August 14, 2010, 02:37 AM
To add data from the newer powders not on the list, look up the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for them. Every one I've seen included density in metric units.

Joemyxplyx
August 16, 2010, 10:42 AM
Grump said To add data from the newer powders not on the list, look up the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for them. Every one I've seen included density in metric units.
_

Here's the URL to Aliant Powder's MSDSs: http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/msds.aspx

I don't see anything on any of the MSDS's related to density except specific gravity which I don't think is what I'm looking for

Am I missing something here? Or is density in a MSDS just a something thing?

Thanks in advance.

Remo-99
August 16, 2010, 11:37 AM
Specific Gravity relates to density in a round about way. A materials density is it's mass per volume.
While SG is usually expressed in metric, one cubic centimeter of water equals 1000 milligrams or 1.000 grams at 1 atmosphere at sea level ( 1 bar), 21 degrees C and under the influence of 1G (as of this planet).
If a material has an SG of 1200, means 1.200 grams per cubic centimeter or 20% heavier than water, for example.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chart of Powder Bulk Density?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!