All these Bali threads!?!?

PDA

Yo Mama
August 13, 2010, 09:31 PM
I've noticed an extreme upswing in the number of Bali threads. I'm guessing Bali = butterfly? I'm probably wrong, but I've seen it used now to reffer to a butterfly style knife.

So, my question, what's the deal with these? Everyone loves them all of a sudden?

If you enjoyed reading about "All these Bali threads!?!?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArfinGreebly
August 13, 2010, 09:43 PM
I've noticed.

I pretty much don't get deep into the Bali/Butterfly hardware.

The main issues are lack of a) a reasonably grippy handle and b) some kind of guard to keep my digits from contaminating the edge with organic material.

I kinda like my organic material.

They's sure pretty though. I don't show them to my youngest daughter. She would be reminded of the one that her "friends" ruined, and want a replacement -- and not anything cheap, too.

So I mostly drool a little and keep my pinkies in my pockets.

:o

CDR_Glock
August 13, 2010, 09:47 PM
A Bali takes longer to open than a lot of the spring assist and automatic knives on the market.

I bought a Benchmade 42, new, but I never even used it. I can open a SOG faster than any butterfly. They are fancy knives but I don't care for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammerson
August 14, 2010, 02:37 AM
Played with them a lot in my misspent youth. They are fun to play with, but I never had much faith in them; locks wear fast and flop, handles tend to be slick. IIRC I ruined the tip of one opening an epoxy tube, or something similar.

Not really a working knife, not really something I would trust as a "fighting knife." They're good for working off nervous energy, though.

nevermas
August 14, 2010, 03:48 AM
My personal theory of the recent soar in prices for the Benchmade 52 and growing interest in other balisongs is directly attributed to the release of the movie : Kick A$$

CDR_Glock
August 14, 2010, 07:13 AM
My personal theory of the recent soar in prices for the Benchmade 52 and growing interest in other balisongs is directly attributed to the release of the movie : Kick A$$

You're probably right. I found mine at a local gun shop. It was the Titanium one that I had not seen in many years. Ergonomics is nothing like a tactical knife. I have the 42.

I had a brass $10 one as a kid.

hso
August 14, 2010, 08:11 AM
So, my question, what's the deal with these? Everyone loves them all of a sudden?

The counter question before when there was nearly nothing said at times on them might have been, "What's the deal? Everyone hate them all of a sudden?".;)

The more serious answer might be like nevermas said, Mindy/Hit Girl use of them in "Kick Ass" and new models becoming available.

Besides, they're fun.

zignal_zero
August 14, 2010, 08:12 AM
Played with them a lot in my misspent youth. They are fun to play with, but I never had much faith in them; locks wear fast and flop, handles tend to be slick. IIRC I ruined the tip of one opening an epoxy tube, or something similar.

Not really a working knife, not really something I would trust as a "fighting knife." They're good for working off nervous energy, though.

if you get the right one, they are EXCELLENT working knives. the lock (on a quality balisong) is actually stronger than the lock on a traditionally styled folder due to the fact it has two pivots instead of one. as you apply force and try to force it to rotate around the one pivot, it's actually being held by the other. similar, in effect, to the way the axle of a bicycle is support by the upper spokes, while simultaneously being held up by the spokes on bottom. very rock solid design as far as folders go. i trust the lock of a decent balisong more than a liner lock. as for the grip of the handles and the lack of a real gaurd - i totally agree, and generally carry a fixed blade which has both :D

another strong point (in regards to safety and convenience of the bali) is - when closed, the blade is completely cocooned in steel.

as for how fast can they be opened compared to OHO folders (spring assisted and autos included), it depends on whether you have to do a double flip or single. if you master the "fast draw", you can open a bali just as fast as a Kershaw Blur.... i can.

bali's are not for everyone, but they have way too much stigma as a novelty knife when the truth is - they are very functional for EDC needs. especially lesser expensive models like the Bradley Kimura.

jahwarrior
August 14, 2010, 08:36 AM
i've always loved them, since i got my first one 25 years ago. lately, i've been investigating knife laws in my state; gun laws are pretty clear cut, but knife laws aren't. i found that balisongs are one of the few knives that could be carried legally, openly or concealed, in my state. so, to be on the safe side, i decided to carry one as my EDC. a good quality one can make for an excellent user knife.

proud2deviate
August 14, 2010, 10:21 AM
Go on and drool:p
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/proud2deviate/DSCF1462.jpg

Yo Mama
August 14, 2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks all. Pretty much as I expected, not for everyone, but for those who like them they serve it's purpose.

Zignal_Zero: which folding lock are you referring to? All types, or liner? I've been seeing that the axis lock beats all, but wonder if this is true.

zignal_zero
August 14, 2010, 01:25 PM
the Axis is a tank, no doubt, there's a 710 in my pocket right now. i still believe, if quality was same, and the size of the pivots were the same, the bali would require more force be applied to the spine in order to force it closed. this is all theory, as i will not be hangin weights off any of my knives the way Cold Steel does LOL.

the Axis is serioulsy strong for the SAME reason the balisong is. they're actually kind of similar in the sense that the "pin" that lays across the rear of the blade (on the Axis) serves a similar function to the 2nd "pin" that is through the blade on a balisong. i'm sure i'm doing a horrible job conveying what i'm trying to, but if you have both of them handy, look at the lock and imagine where the force would be distributed while trying to force it closed. they're almost cousins :)

the balisong is actually an amazing design that gets overlooked due to it's gangta/ninja/7th grad mercenary reputation :(

edit to add - just to be perfectly clear, i'll take a fixed blade over everything and normally have one on.

Yo Mama
August 14, 2010, 02:50 PM
they're actually kind of similar in the sense that the "pin" that lays across the rear of the blade (on the Axis) serves a similar function to the 2nd "pin" that is through the blade on a balisong. i'm sure i'm doing a horrible job conveying what i'm trying to

Actually, funny, was just examining the locking mechanism on the axis earlier today, and it's really ingenious how it's designed. So simple, but really hard to break. So, I know the pins your talking about. I don't have a balisong to compare to, but if it has the same set up I'd guess it's pretty darn strong.

Side note, money is tight, but since getting an axis from Benchmade, I'll never go with anything else in a folder.

Joe Demko
August 14, 2010, 03:03 PM
A good bali is darned difficult to break. Too many people form their opinions on them based on $10 PRC examples purchased at flea markets and gunshows. They typically have zamak handles and break under even light use. Judging balis by those is like judging lockbacks based on the PRC examples sold in the same venues at the same price point.
They do seem to wax and wane in popularity based on movies. I bought my first, a Bali-Song Inc (now Benchmade), after seeing one in "Sharkey's Machine." There was also some cool butterfly action in "Streets of Fire."

nevermas
August 14, 2010, 10:31 PM
not to deviate from the topic too much, but when i first saw the Axis lock, it was so simple that I thought to my head, hey I could have thought of that.

spyderco has a great balisong design called the spyderfly, I've been going to the gunshows for a few years and can't find any.

spyderco also makes a balisong pen called the baliyo. It's got mixed reviews in durability, but a interesting toy nonetheless.

ArfinGreebly
August 15, 2010, 02:27 AM
Nice.

Not my style, but nice.

Here's a nice example (http://www.thebladeshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=B02GP) --> 125975 125976 <-- and here's one with a trainer (http://www.thebladeshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=B02GPKIT)
($200 for the pair)
Steel marked as 154CM, nice.

docnyt
August 15, 2010, 02:40 AM
Interesting. I never thought of a balisong trainer.

Gunfighter123
August 15, 2010, 03:39 AM
I don't know why anyone would think that a Bali is not a strong lock up --- right around 1980 , I seen a vid of Jody Sampson , when he was doing blades for PCC/BM , take a bowie blade Bali and punch it thru a 55 gal drum. The 3 point lock DID NOT break and he then stabbed it thru the drum another 3 or 4 times with NO damage to the knife.

As far as Balis being "slower" to open --- just had to laught at that !!! I will bet $50 that I can "dagger drop" a Bali FROM A SNAPPED SHUT SHEATH as fast or faster then most can with almost any other knife FROM A CLOSED SHEATH.

Add the fact that a well made Bali can be used as a "flail/nunchuk" --- something almost NO OTHER knife can be used for. And there are AT LEAST 10-100 ways of opening it !!!

IMHO ---- YES , there is a STEEP learning curve with a good Bali ---- but once mastered , very few folding knifes can equal it.

ANYONE can open a assisted knife ----- it takes SKILL to learn to use a Bali. Just like with firearms , ANYONE can shoot a gun ---- the people that MASTER a firearm are in a different class.

hso
August 15, 2010, 09:05 AM
Add the fact that a well made Bali can be used as a "flail/nunchuk" --- something almost NO OTHER knife can be used for.

I have a few balisongs (modern, vintage and antiques from the Philippines) and regard them very highly, BUT a bali can not be used as a "nunchuk" (not enough mass to matter) and any flailing techniques amount to tricks, which the bali excels at.

As to lock strength, there's nothing to fail in the way of a lock. The pivot pins might fail if you applied enough force, but it's a folder developed in a culture where fixed blade knives are commonplace to the point no one would try to do anything more than light to medium cutting with a bali. They are fundamentally solid designs. Poor quality in materials or craftsmanship will fail in almost any design.

Hammerson
August 15, 2010, 11:40 PM
:o I need to admit, I used the wrong terminology. When referring to the "lock" I actually meant the toggle that holds the handles together when closed. My bad. :o
During the mid to late '80s I liked to EDC a balisong. Unfortunately, they had an annoying habit of opening in my pocket. If the knife was blade down, it would cut the pocket it was carried in. If it was carried point up, I had to risk stabbing myself in th hand with my own knife (obviously unacceptable). I finally resorted to a closed sheath, but that was never as convenient, especially at work. Sorry for the confusion. I never did have a problem with one failing or folding up under me while using it.

For those that know more: was/is pocket carry an unrealistic expectation for this design? I never found one that would stay closed in a pocket. Recommendations?

Deltaboy
August 16, 2010, 12:24 AM
I would not mind a nice one for my collection.

jahwarrior
August 16, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hammerson: if the balisong you have has a spring latch, like most Benchmades do, then they're perfectly safe for pocket carry. my Model 51 will not open unless i squeeze the handles together with considerable pressure. even if your balisong doesn't have a spring latch, if it's good quality, it shouldn't open on it's own.

of course, another option would be a sheath to carry it in.

Gunfighter123
August 16, 2010, 11:27 AM
I have a few balisongs (modern, vintage and antiques from the Philippines) and regard them very highly, BUT a bali can not be used as a "nunchuk" (not enough mass to matter) and any flailing techniques amount to tricks, which the bali excels at.

Hiya HSO ----- not wanting to be "disagreeable" but I once got to "nunchuk/flail" a heavy all brass bali into a guys face. I held the "safe" handle and smacked him with a hard quick wrist snap ----- I don't know if I broke his nose or not --- what I do know is he was bleeding A LOT from his nose and when he seen the open bladed bali a few inches from his face , he decided to just leave me alone and go away. I was also taught by Danny I. to target the wrist bones in the same manner. And having taken a few hits in the wrist by Dan , I can tell you that IT HURTS !!! LOL

Joe Demko
August 16, 2010, 11:37 AM
I dug out my Bali Song Inc model with the solid machined steel handles and tried some flailing maneuvers with it this AM. It'd be possible to fetch somebody a painful whack in the face with it or inflict some minor bruising on areas where there isn't much muscle or fat covering bone. I'm not sure I'd consider it all that useful, though, as I doubt one could inflict injuries that would be anything more than an annoyance. Bloodying the guy's nose with yours was cute, but I'd say you could have as easily (or more easily) just punched him in the nose. I'd be more inclined to use the closed bali as a fist load or makeshift kubotan instead. The titanium handled model doesn't have enough mass in the handles to make any kind of flailing worthwhile.

Gunfighter123
August 16, 2010, 11:48 AM
It'd be possible to fetch somebody a painful whack in the face with it

My point EXACTLY in the story I posted. And I stand by my statement that almost no other knife BUT A BALI can be used as such.

EDIT --- I was really aiming for his eye but ya get what ya get sometimes !!! I look at this "trick" about the same as tossing a handfull of coins at someones face before you launch a punch --- it IS NOT a "fight ender" but a move that can be usefull --- at least it was for me.

Joe Demko
August 16, 2010, 12:24 PM
I have a largish SAK on a keychain. It'd be at least as good of a flail, and probably better, as a balisong.
A very close friend of my family (RIP) was from Manila. He knew how to do all kinds of tricks with a bali. He did tell me that nobody actually does any of that stuff in a fight. Flailing...pinching...he thought all that stuff was hilarious. They open the knife and use it as a knife: thrusting, cutting, and slashing.

Gunfighter123
August 16, 2010, 12:38 PM
Exactly ---- They open the knife and use it as a knife: thrusting, cutting, and slashing. ------ if I had WANTED TO CUT the guy , that is how I'd have done it. The whole thing was to get him to back off without me cutting/stabbing him.

I have a largish SAK on a keychain. It'd be at least as good of a flail, and probably better, as a balisong.

Apples to apples == I could attach a Bali to a chain and say it is as good or better then the SAK as a flail.

He knew how to do all kinds of tricks with a bali. He did tell me that nobody actually does any of that stuff in a fight.

Nor does anyone use "aerials" , flip a bali over your shoulder , behind your back etc. etc. in a fight. These are "tricks" and used for amusment or to perfect skills in doing such. And the same can be said for ANY fixed blade --- I've seen some IMPRESSIVE twirling , juggling etc. with a fixed blade ----- NEVER seen one used like that in a fight.

My whole point still being ----- a Bali WITHOUT a chain etc. ---- CAN BE USED as I posted in my replies.

EDIT ----- the old FHM balis were a lot larger then those of today. The "29s" were 29 cent.met. long or about six inches closed. I also have a few FHM balis that are over one foot long closed. The longer ,heavier , bigger Balis will have much more "impact" then todays standard 4" Balis do.

hso
August 16, 2010, 01:16 PM
One of my old balisongs is around 9 inches of brass handle and would deliver a painful whack, but I consider that very different from a bali being able to perform like a nunchuk which can break bones and render someone unconscious readily. As long as we're clear on the benefits and limits of what a flailing strike with a bali can and can't do for damage and how that limits the application of flailing strikes with a balisong I'm happy.

Gunfighter123
August 16, 2010, 01:37 PM
HSO , I understand what you are saying ---- my "bad" for not thinking of the correct words such as "flail" instead of "nunchuck" etc. ----- I do think we are on the same page. ;)

jahwarrior
August 16, 2010, 02:02 PM
i'm not overly confident in using a bali as a flail, personally, but it makes an excellent kubaton in a pinch.

hso
August 16, 2010, 02:59 PM
I do think we are on the same page. Agreed.

Joe Demko
August 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
if I had WANTED TO CUT the guy , that is how I'd have done it. The whole thing was to get him to back off without me cutting/stabbing him.

I guess I just don't see the point of drawing a lethal weapon and trying to do some kind of stunt with it if things are serious enough to warrant pulling a weapon at all. It seems to me that the guy whose nose you bloodied must not really have wanted to fight very much, if a bloody nose made him give up. If it was the sight of the knife that made him give up, then the little tap with the handle was neither here nor there.
I played around with my bali a bit more and I'm even less enthralled with flailing it than I was earlier. Barring a hit to an eye or a lucky hit to the nose like you scored, all I see this doing is annoying an opponent. With a greater economy of motion, since there is no manipulating a knife involved, I could land a backfist or punch to an opponents face that might actually end the fight.
We must also, as always, concern ourselves with the law as well. If the po-po get involved, you are going to be the guy who pulled and was using a knife. IOW, unless you were justified in using lethal force, you shouldn't have a knife in your hand. If you are justified in using lethal force, why are you playing around with puny flailing moves?

Gunfighter123
August 16, 2010, 03:44 PM
I guess I just don't see the point of drawing a lethal weapon and trying to do some kind of stunt with it if things are serious enough to warrant pulling a weapon at all.

I don't get where you are coming from ----- are you saying that EVERY TIME someone pulls a deadly weapon { firearm , blade , baseball bat , impact weapon } they should then USE IT TO KILL ????

I have been LUCKY enough to have pulled a deadly weapon out MORE THEN ONCE -- and NOT HAD TO USE IT. I also have been on BOTH ENDS of a trigger when it went bang -- been shot twice and stabbed three times. A lot of what I learned/know DID NOT come from reading a book or the Net.

If me and you { or whoever } are face to face --- and you get hit in the eye/nose/teeth with a METAL object { in this case -- Balisong } do you REALLY think you will not flinch ,duck or move back ??

BTW --- unless your Bruce Lee or the like ----- I HAVE NEVER seen a "backfist" really end a fight ---- not saying it has NEVER occured , just saying on the street and in the ring -- a single backfist is not a "fight ender" IMHO.

Joe Demko
August 16, 2010, 03:58 PM
You're just too much of a bad dude for me. Good day.

shockwave
August 16, 2010, 04:35 PM
I HAVE NEVER seen a "backfist" really end a fight ---- not saying it has NEVER occured , just saying on the street and in the ring -- a single backfist is not a "fight ender" IMHO.

That was my lifelong opinion until I started training in Iron Palm.

Backfist flat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCEVMVZ9ofc).

Backfist braced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCzt3Y3LY4).

Another backfist braced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMTrxOscAX0).

Notice that internal breaks are not tamashiwari. That style won't get much into a backfist. This technique requires about 3 years of daily practice in the school I study and develops palm, knife edge, and backfist strikes.

Gunfighter123
August 16, 2010, 07:01 PM
You're just too much of a bad dude for me. Good day.

Very good to see we agree on something ---- YOU have a nice day also.

CDR_Glock
August 17, 2010, 10:31 PM
As far as Balis being "slower" to open --- just had to laught at that !!! I will bet $50 that I can "dagger drop" a Bali FROM A SNAPPED SHUT SHEATH as fast or faster then most can with almost any other knife FROM A CLOSED SHEATH.

...class.

What butterfly do you recommend?

Are there characteristics of a Balisong that make one optimal for fighting?

I just bought a BM32 today based upon your commentary. I couldn't put it down. I was flipping it all day today after buying it during my lunch hour(s). They did not have a 52.

I am looking for a BM52, now. It is a longer blade. Not too many stores have Balis. I still like a utility knife like the Benchmade, Cold Steel, SOG and Now, the Microtech (based upon it's design).

I have a 42 but don't want to use it - it seems to be fetching a nice price, for now.

jahwarrior
August 17, 2010, 10:43 PM
the Model 51 is good for EDC; i own one, and i like it. i don't flip it much, because it's too light, but it opens faster than many other balis for the same reason. the spring latch will last forever, because it's part of the titanium liner. it's light enough to carry all day without noticing it.

another decent bali is the MTech Twist, which i also own. i had some problems with it, but i resolved them. the bite handle doesn't have a latch gate, so i just turned it around. the biggest issue i had was with the pivot screws. they were poor quality, and quickly became stripped. i replaced them with better quality hardware. if you get one, the first thing you should do is Loctite the screws (i used the blue Loctite), and wait for it to cure.

everything else about the Twist is great. they come razor sharp, and are a snap to resharpen. they're balanced really well, have great action, and are solidly built. just look on Youtube; there are dozens of reviews on it by balisong aficionados and veteran flippers, and most give it high marks. the best part is the price: you can normally get one for under $30.

as for the Model 42, use it. that knife is pretty much the standard that all other production balis are held against. mine should be arriving in a week; i plan on using it often.

Gunfighter123
August 17, 2010, 11:00 PM
Hi CDR,
The BM 52/32 is a good knife ---- the BM 42 etc. are better IMHO.
I like a Bali with metal handles even if I do own some with G10 etc. -- I learned on a very heavy all brass monster FHM bali and I like the weight.

Because I am not crazy about loseing a $200-$500 knife , most of mine stay at home. BUT --- FOR THE MONEY --- a MTech TWIST is a hellofa deal for around $25 ----- I posted a pic a few days ago in another Bali thread here --- I have three of them in the pic --- they are designed by Darrel Ralph and made by Mtech.

Another VERY good Bali is the Bradley Kimura series ---- they come in different blade shapes , USA made , and retail for around $100.

As to a "fighting bali" ----- google a pic of the Bradley or MTech when the blade is closed --- you will notice a "pointed" tang. This makes it GREAT for useing as a impact weapon when closed.

Another post I made the other day shows my new Robbie Dalton "Devil" Bali ----- the " devil horns " on it are great for fighting but they can pinch your hand when flipping the knife.

I carry my Balis in a "upside down" leather or nylon belt sheath. The knife is put in so the latch and handle butt are faceing down towards my pants pocket. To deploy , I just use my fingers to push open the flap on the sheath and the Bali falls right into my hand/palm. I "pinch" the latch between my thumb and forefinger and holding the latch -- just flick my wrist out. The blade is then in a "dagger or ice pick" grip ----- I like it because if done correctly , the knife is almost completly hidden behind your forearm.

Gunfighter123
August 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
Jahwarrior took the words right out of my mouth about the Mtech --- make sure to use Loc-Tite or even clear nail polish on ALL THE SCREWS.

zignal_zero
August 18, 2010, 07:34 AM
as long as this has turned into - recommend a bali...

i gotta suggest the Kimura. having owned PCC's, CCC's, BM's, Frost, Kimura, etc. i gotta say - the most bang for your buck is a Kimura

rklessdriver
August 18, 2010, 05:07 PM
I personally don' t much care for the ergos of a bali as a fighting knife. Then there are the sketchy legalities in many ignorant states and I don't know anyone who wants to be on the wrong side of the law. However... I really do like bali's all the same.

I'm more the type that appreciates the work that some companies put into building them. Nice machine work, good tollerances, quality materials, good fit and finish.... that is the kind of stuff I like in anything. Knives, firearms, cars, watches, ect... dosen't matter. Bali's have multiple moving points in the hinges, handle, blade and handle locking mech for someone with real pride in their manufacturing/knife building ability to showcase it. Good work is just good work and IMO if you can afford it and appreciate it - it's worth owning.

My step son (on his 2nd year of College in a few weeks) is the same way. I bought him a Spyderco Spyder Fly for Christmas last year. I've carried Spyderco knives everyday for a long time. I've always been impressed with the quality of the product they manufacture and the price they can sell it at. The Spyder Fly Bali was no exception. Nice knife, I was really impressed with how well it was built and finished. So was he.... I'm thinking about a Dalton for him this year.
Will

CDR_Glock
August 18, 2010, 08:09 PM
I just bought my third in the past week ( a second NIB 42 and 32, in addition to my unused 42). I love the ability to flip and manipulate it. It's really fun and addictive. I am looking for a 51. Those look really great, like my 32. I saw a new BM Bali design coming and I was not a fan of it.

I still will use a Tanto folder or OTF like a Microtech for defense.

jahwarrior
August 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
My step son (on his 2nd year of College in a few weeks) is the same way. I bought him a Spyderco Spyder Fly for Christmas last year. I've carried Spyderco knives everyday for a long time. I've always been impressed with the quality of the product they manufacture and the price they can sell it at. The Spyder Fly Bali was no exception. Nice knife, I was really impressed with how well it was built and finished. So was he.... I'm thinking about a Dalton for him this year.
Will

are you in need of any more stepsons?

:D

nevermas
August 26, 2010, 01:12 PM
apparently due to popular demand and to use up some spare parts, benchmade has announced they will launch a production run of the model 42. Also, model 53 Charles Marlowe will be released soon (g10 grips, large bladed balisong, looks strange)

CDR_Glock
August 26, 2010, 09:28 PM
apparently due to popular demand and to use up some spare parts, benchmade has announced they will launch a production run of the model 42. Also, model 53 Charles Marlowe will be released soon (g10 grips, large bladed balisong, looks strange)

It is an all G10 handle?

How durable is the G10, as a standalone?

I bought the 51 and 32 since it had Titanium liners covered with G10.

nevermas
August 26, 2010, 10:52 PM
here is a photo:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x242/jimmer_5/Knives/a-4.jpg

g10 is a durable handle material, impervious to moisture, does not crack in extreme temperatures

I don't know anything else about this knife, just based on what I saw from the pic. For ex, I don't know if it is aluminum or titanium handles overlayed with g10, or just g10

here's Marlowe's website http://www.marloweknives.com/

CDR_Glock
August 26, 2010, 11:21 PM
here is a photo:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x242/jimmer_5/Knives/a-4.jpg

g10 is a durable handle material, impervious to moisture, does not crack in extreme temperatures

I don't know anything else about this knife, just based on what I saw from the pic. For ex, I don't know if it is aluminum or titanium handles overlayed with g10, or just g10

here's Marlowe's website http://www.marloweknives.com/

Thanks!

That is hideous!

Gunfighter123
August 27, 2010, 12:32 PM
That is hideous!

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder :rolleyes:

I look at Balis like I do women ---- some are small , large , thick , thin , pretty , ugly , sexy , plain jane , deadly etc. --- with the lights out , i LIKE THEM ALL :evil:

BTW --- the Marlow is kinda "hideous" :neener:

For what I hear they will be selling for { $250+ } I do not think they will be a big seller even with Marlow's name. BM has "flippers" scratching their heads but at least BM is still making Balis.

hso
August 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
Makes me think of the Hackman a little- http://www.jaysknives.com/butterflyknives/HackmanFinlandVietnamEra.jpg

Gunfighter123
August 28, 2010, 03:47 AM
HSO ---- cool to see a Hackman , that was my first Bali ;) I think I got it around 1978 , it was used but in real good shape. I remember I paid $15 for it at a gun show. It flipped well and the blade steel was good but the latch was a design flaw. It was hard to flip the latch open with just your pinky finger.

From the same table I also got a FHM bowie blade bail , horn handle , brass frame, for $20 -- I liked this one better as it had the " T " latch and with it , I learned the dagger drop .

I still got the FHM but like a idiot , i sold the Hackman for $25 --- made a whole $10 !!! Well , that was almost a tank of gas at the time :p

CDR_Glock
September 28, 2010, 10:17 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-9372-96b3.jpg

This is my latest conquest.

Spyderco Spyderfly

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-ed5a-1463.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-ed65-5519.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-ed72-180d.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-ed7e-8173.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-eda2-2e3e.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-edac-89cc.jpg

I still have two incoming.

I am done. I may sell two 42s.

zignal_zero
September 29, 2010, 05:15 AM
yea, HSO, thanks for the Hackman. i couldn't remember the name of that thing, actually i never really knew it. i had seen tons of 'em, at gunshows, but could never bring myself to buy one because (as cheap as they were) i thought they were as ugly as a $5 hooker at sunrise. which, btw, is what i think of that Marlow BM.

to the poster that asked about what features make a bali more suited for people pokin' - eh... there isn't really. maybe some Dalton style wings to form a sort of gaurd, but truth is most balis get narrower at the pivot area. this encourages your hand to slide down the blade. don't get me wrong, ANYTHING sharp and/or pointy can str8 wreck someone's day, but a fixed blade is the end all knife for fighting. so, look for things that make a bali more like a real fighting knife and you'll get close.

i'm not slamming balis. i REALLY like them. however, balis EXCEL as a utility knife while FB's excel as a fighter. it's like saying "which pistol for shooting clays?" uh... a shotgun.

that said, the 51 has me chubbed to the max and i can feel some spending coming on :D ONLY if i can score for sub 2hun tho.

Gunfighter123
October 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
August 13, 2010, 07:47 PM #3
CDR_Glock

Posts: 141 A Bali takes longer to open than a lot of the spring assist and automatic knives on the market.

I bought a Benchmade 42, new, but I never even used it. I can open a SOG faster than any butterfly. They are fancy knives but I don't care for it.

Benchmade 51, 32, 42

CDR ---- " They are fancy knives but I don't care for it." ---- what a difference 30 days make :neener:

And now HOW MANY balis do YOU own :what::D:neener:

CDR_Glock
October 1, 2010, 11:35 PM
CDR ---- " They are fancy knives but I don't care for it." ---- what a difference 30 days make :neener:

And now HOW MANY balis do YOU own :what::D:neener:

Ha Ha! I didn't care for it until I tried half a dozen. Then you got me $:@/ hooked!

You are too infectious, Brother!

Thanks for the addiction. Is there a Balisong Anonymous????

Gunfighter123
October 2, 2010, 01:38 AM
CDR --- refreshing to see honesty --- so here goes ;

Hi , my name is Bird and Im a Bali addict :evil:

And as YOUR BA Sponser ----- YES , sell two of your BM42s and you will have cash and a GOOD EXCUSE to buy two other Balis THAT COST MORE THEN WHAT YA SOLD THE 42s FOR !!!!

Ask me how I know this :banghead:

CDR_Glock
October 2, 2010, 03:09 AM
Damn! I just bought a model 46. I have salivated long enough and just bit the bullet.

2 NIB BM 42s...and maybe the Prototype Mayhem or the Szabofly VG10 is going onto the block. Likely just gonna sell the 42s, though. The Spyderfly's are kick a$$.

That Dalton is a Dalton Digger not a Dalton Dagger. It is not a 666 blade. It's point is like the Szabofly or a Redneck toothpick I have seen at the Flea market. That blade is almost 5" and it's a tank. That girl is heavy!! ESP when you compare it to a 51, 32, Smallfly and 42!

I had brass Bali's as a teen but they weren't that heavy!

I gotta stop. I can't hang with the big boys any more....at least until I sell the 42s, that is! LOL!

Gunfighter123
October 2, 2010, 01:52 PM
CDR --- congrats on the BM46 , that is about my favorite BM -- except for the Kriss bladed ones { you NEED one of those} LOL

I did tell you that the daltons are the most under-rated balis around ---- both of mine have the most EVIL needle point on a bali that I own.

See you at the next BA meeting !!!! :neener:

mustang_steve
October 2, 2010, 02:07 PM
Butterfly, Balisong, Batanagas fighting knife, all mean the same thing.

That said, I love butterfly knives as they are just so darn fun. When bored (and in an appropriate location), I can kill some time by twirling it around, doing tricks, etc.

As for getting bit, so long as you keep track of the bite handle, you'll be fine, evertually you'll get so comfortable with the knife that you'll learn how much inertia it has, that's when you don't even have to worry about the bite handle anymore. Once that point is reached, you may be good enough to attempt a throw or two.

At one time, I was good enough that I would "hackey-sack" with the knife (locked of course), then catch it, do some quick tricks, lock it again and hackey sack it some more.

That was also when I had a bunch of cheap and heavy zamak handled $10 butterflys. My Parker Gypsy is too darn light for that kind of shenanigans.

CDR_Glock
October 2, 2010, 08:58 PM
CDR --- congrats on the BM46 , that is about my favorite BM -- except for the Kriss bladed ones { you NEED one of those} LOL

I did tell you that the daltons are the most under-rated balis around ---- both of mine have the most EVIL needle point on a bali that I own.

See you at the next BA meeting !!!! :neener:

I have been fascinated by a Kriss. Does BM make one? I bet a Pacific Cutlery Kriss is a grand.

I have sights on a Marlowe.

MICHAEL T
October 3, 2010, 03:32 AM
Well I have to weigh in . I ordered a new Bali Song in 1980 they were in LA then. Took 9months to get . I got the wee hawk blade and carried it every day . Around 84 I did the handle to the face in a bowling alley rest room on night. I got the same results as the other member here it bloodied the guys nose . Very quickly and I made my point. . Today at 64 my hand is crippled up and I can no longer work one like I could back then So I carry a XL Cold steel voyager. It opens pretty fast even with my messed up fingers
If handles heavy enough and it's a surprise attack they will work as a mini chuck .
Deadly force isn't needed just because you have a knife Bali fills hand nice and can be used as more than just a knife.

Just my 02

mustang_steve
October 3, 2010, 09:21 AM
yep, forgot to mention some balis have a pointed end on the tang, which allows the knife to be used as a pressure point tool when closed, and the rounded ones can make a nice "knuckle" if tucked into the hand correctly.

There's a few less-than-lethal options some of these blades are designed for.

jahwarrior
October 3, 2010, 12:33 PM
BM did make a kriss bladed bali, years ago:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-4905-Titanium--4845
http://www.gettier.org/knifepics/bm_49-04.jpg
http://www.balisongcollector.com/forsale/saleG/saleG29L.jpg

good luck getting your hands on one, though.

Black Toe Knives
October 3, 2010, 04:01 PM
That does it! I am going to have to build one.

Gunfighter123
October 3, 2010, 11:34 PM
That does it! I am going to have to build one.

Jim --- build two and sell ME ONE :evil:

I have seen some of your work --- I can only imagine what a Bali built by yourself would be like !!!!

docnyt
October 3, 2010, 11:48 PM
I'm in for a Bali built by Jim. Group buy?

Yo Mama
October 4, 2010, 10:02 AM
Ok, as I started this thread I said there was no way I'd want one. Now with all the comments I may jump in on it!

http://www.888knivesrus.com/c=6EYiEBQOFChQeRRnq62c1VFob/product/BC114B/BEAR-SON-114B-BLACK-BUTTERFLY-CLIP-POINT-5-CLOSED.html

Bear and Son make this one, what do you think as a first bali?

Gunfighter123
October 4, 2010, 11:34 AM
yo mama ,

The Bear brand Balis are fine for starters , however I think the MTech Twist are better for the same money. They have washers , sharp as Hell , a little thinner , designed by D. Ralph , and have VERY good gripping surface to the handles.

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--M-Tech-Twist-Butterfly--6185

jahwarrior
October 4, 2010, 12:23 PM
a word of warning about the Twist: you HAVE to Loctite the pivot screws before you start flipping them. also, be careful removing the screws. they're cheap, and can strip easily.

another flaw with the Twist is the latch gate, or lack of one. it's a simple fix; a rubber o-ring around either the latch or hte base of the bite handle will do.

other than those flaws, the Twist is a great beginner's balisong. they come razor sharp, are balanced superbly, and when the pivots are properly secured with Loctite, have great action.

CDR_Glock
October 5, 2010, 09:53 PM
Ok, as I started this thread I said there was no way I'd want one. Now with all the comments I may jump in on it!

http://www.888knivesrus.com/c=6EYiEBQOFChQeRRnq62c1VFob/product/BC114B/BEAR-SON-114B-BLACK-BUTTERFLY-CLIP-POINT-5-CLOSED.html

Bear and Son make this one, what do you think as a first bali?

Once you get into it, it gets addicting. Invest in some bandages, though.http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c7d0-ca3a.jpg

Ever since Gunfighter123 AKA DaBird introduced me to a Bali Site, I have bought well over a dozen knives....and they weren't the cheap stuff.

Gunfighter123
October 5, 2010, 10:03 PM
Ever since Gunfighter123 AKA DaBird introduced me to a Bali Site, I have bought well over a dozen knives....and they weren't the cheap stuff.

Who LOVES ya Baby ??? I DO :neener:

CDR_Glock
October 5, 2010, 10:11 PM
Who LOVES ya Baby ??? I DO :neener:

Did you read my PM on the website where you bid on a Kimura 2? I wrote to you that I was so tempted to outbid you. Just kidding, though.

LOL!

I did get a great deal on the Kimura IV.

Here is my newest addition:

BM46
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-ccfe-174f.jpg

Gunfighter123
October 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
CDR ---- better be nice ------ or I'll tell ya where some VERY costly Balis are !!!

CDR_Glock
October 6, 2010, 08:23 AM
CDR ---- better be nice ------ or I'll tell ya where some VERY costly Balis are !!!

ROTFL!

I saw a great site where there were very exotic Bali's: Damascus blades, inlaid exotic woods like burlwood, etc. They didn't have a price listed. I can only imagine they cost nearly $3k.

I just grabbed two FHMs last night from Pinoysteel. A trainer for my daughter, Hit Girl, and an awesome spearpoint for Big Daddy, LOL!

I also told him I wanted Cocobolo with Eagle Tangs/Stainless blade and an all brass Bali next time he makes a trip to the P.I. In 2 weeks.

CDR_Glock
October 6, 2010, 11:46 AM
http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8acc-1f3e.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8ae0-e110.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8afb-f661.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8b11-4938.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8b2b-2ec4.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8b49-9a16.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8b72-8a16.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8b99-8855.jpg

Nice!

CDR_Glock
October 6, 2010, 11:53 AM
http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8be2-bb0d.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8bfb-d981.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8c33-4fb3.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8c4d-d113.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8c70-124f.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8c8a-ccdc.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8ca6-aa39.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8cf4-d440.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8d15-0c86.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8d30-8bbc.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8d4a-8dfa.jpg

Mayhem prototype.

CDR_Glock
October 6, 2010, 11:58 AM
http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8dd2-594f.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8de9-cb77.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8e01-0f0d.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8e1d-84d7.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8e43-f37a.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8e5d-80c0.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-8e91-7432.jpg

VG10 Szabofly
No. 71/200

CDR_Glock
October 6, 2010, 12:29 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-92f3-0670.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-9318-9342.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-93e4-9041.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-941b-2dcd.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-94fe-0bbf.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-9564-8fb5.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-959f-41d6.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b8c-95b6-40d8.jpg

Circa 2000 BM 42.

CDR_Glock
October 6, 2010, 09:55 PM
I have nothing against starter knives but the quality of cheaper balisongs is suspect at best.

The knife listed above will not be conducive to learning, in my opinion. If you drop a lower quality knife, which you will, then after a few times of that, the knife will break. I have dropped my Benchmade 42 on more than one occassion on my ceramic tile, the hospital's linoleum and other places - It's as tight as it was when I first got it. When you buy a cheap knife for $20-$40 and it breaks, then you have to pony up $100-$130 for a good quality knife, then you have spent nearly $150 to $180. Which is a better value? I have 16 Bali's but will likely sell 5 of them.

There are a few options if you're looking and money is tight, or you just don't want to drop a few hundred dollars per knife, like CDR Glock does every other day (Thanks to some Damn Bird, LOL).

One option is to get a trainer to see if you have the knack for it. If you don't, then nothing is lost.

Bradley Kimura Balisongs are very good for the money. New ones are only costing about $90. Some people have gotten lucky finding used ones for $60 and below. However, don't hold your breath. If something says Balisong on the secondary market, they WILL almost always sell within minutes of posting (unless you don't take Paypal, like someone I know - LOL!).

An underrated website for Bali's is Pinoy Steel. They sell handmade Balisongs from the town where the knives originated. From the photographs, they are well made. Being a Bali-Snob, I wasn't a fan at first until I saw more and more people buying them. The knives run from $99 to $130 (one exception is a $300 Kriss blade). I bought two from the guy and I asked him to snag me two more when he goes to the Philippines in two weeks. He has a lifetime warranty on the knives but the turnaround time can be long since he personally brings the knives to the islands for repair.

Then again, you can always buy one of mine...but they are not cheap. LOL!

CDR_Glock
October 8, 2010, 05:58 AM
A Bali takes longer to open than a lot of the spring assist and automatic knives on the market.

How ironic...

Some darn Gunfighter planted a seed that changed my opinion.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-dd4a-e0e0.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-3d79-2be8.jpg

mustang_steve
October 10, 2010, 09:53 PM
I learned fine on a few cheap balis. IMO the best cheap bali to learn from is a Jaguar. They're built like tanks, also heavy as tanks, so be certain to dull the ever living hell out of the blade first (I actually ground the edge off mine until I was good enogh to not "bite" myself with it, then bought one with the edge intact). the extra heavy handles they have make a bite incident go from painful to really stinkin bad (it basically hammers the blade to the bone, thus why edge removal is highly reccomended).

CDR_Glock
October 12, 2010, 08:36 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a689098f-f026-c402.jpg

Two FHMs, a BM 48, and 2 other imports are pending. 2 were not included since they are the same as what is shown.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a689098f-f08b-e6e1.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a689098f-f0a4-9578.jpg

The Mayhem and Dalton are the toughest for me to do Y2Ks.http://184.72.239.143/mu/a689098f-f0ed-e711.jpg

Gunfighter123
October 13, 2010, 08:43 PM
LOVE the Dalton --- the rest ain't so shabby either :neener:

CDR_Glock
October 13, 2010, 09:25 PM
I love the Dalton's Blade. She is a beast of a knife.

CDR_Glock
October 19, 2010, 12:08 AM
Here's what came in the mail today;

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0a1c-e556.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0a30-adbe.jpg

Anodized 42 with sharpened swedge:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0a49-e4e2.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0c09-688d.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0c1a-673a.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0c2a-9e55.jpg

CALDWELL Meets Benchmade 42:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0a6f-bf57.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0a8c-bee3.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0a9a-ef89.jpg

Caldwell Bali:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0ac5-0f67.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0ad4-ded2.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0ae6-2f6b.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0aaf-4672.jpg

My collection:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0b17-c664.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0b28-420d.jpg

There's a few that are still coming: a WWII FHM, a 1960s FHM, another 1960s FHM, a Blue Mayhem, a BM 51 (in black), and a Pinoysteel FHM 29 cm Kamagong Spearpoint.

The FHM trainer for my daughter with a 24 cm total length, brass and kamagong is awesome. Great workmanship from Jay and his Pinoysteel Staff!

Gunfighter123
October 19, 2010, 04:21 AM
Looks like you may have spent a few dollars there :neener::evil:

hso
October 19, 2010, 02:16 PM
Brother, but you got the bug baaaaad!

Nice collection!

CDR_Glock
October 22, 2010, 08:17 AM
Check out www.pinoysteel.com

He has nice knives. I am getting at least 3 knives if not 4.

Brass bali
Kriss
Gold plated

CDR_Glock
October 22, 2010, 07:13 PM
My mail today!

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0c0f-1b8e.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0c30-c6c0.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0c5d-a4fc.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0c76-5629.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0c8b-9916.jpg

CDR_Glock
October 22, 2010, 07:18 PM
This one is coming from Sweden:

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0ceb-638e.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0cfc-95d0.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0d0c-2624.jpg

I can't wait to get it.

It has a Titanium handle and blade.

The Roton Double Edge is coming today. I cannot wait for it to sink into my fingers!!!

EDIT:

It is here. Roton double edge

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-bdd2-f7cb.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-bddf-c519.jpg

Close up of the Cold Steel AA wide point

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-bdee-8733.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-be18-34ba.jpg

Blue Mayhem Serrated

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-be2a-5558.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-be44-86c8.jpg

FHM29 Spearpoint
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-be57-26ca.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-be6f-862c.jpg

Balisong USA 3" blade
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-be83-71bf.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-be9c-f5bd.jpg

Comparing Caldwell to a 29 FHM
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-bebd-2adc.jpg

CDR_Glock
October 23, 2010, 09:42 AM

What I meant to say was that I don't care for them as EVery day carry.

Now, I carry at least one balisong! ha ha ha ha!

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d827-aeec.jpg

CDR_Glock
October 23, 2010, 09:43 AM
Go on and drool:p
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/proud2deviate/DSCF1462.jpg

No need to drool. I have one of those, now. LOL!

CDR_Glock
October 23, 2010, 09:47 AM
I don't know why anyone would think that a Bali is not a strong lock up --- right around 1980 , I seen a vid of Jody Sampson , when he was doing blades for PCC/BM , take a bowie blade Bali and punch it thru a 55 gal drum. The 3 point lock DID NOT break and he then stabbed it thru the drum another 3 or 4 times with NO damage to the knife.

Add the fact that a well made Bali can be used as a "flail/nunchuk" --- something almost NO OTHER knife can be used for. And there are AT LEAST 10-100 ways of opening it !!!

IMHO ---- YES , there is a STEEP learning curve with a good Bali ---- but once mastered , very few folding knifes can equal it.

ANYONE can open a assisted knife ----- it takes SKILL to learn to use a Bali. Just like with firearms , ANYONE can shoot a gun ---- the people that MASTER a firearm are in a different class.

After nearly 120 hours, 26 cuts and 30 balisong knives later, I see what you mean ! ROTFL!

Thanks for the addiction!

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d932-b921.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d940-da3c.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d94d-c228.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d95a-4abb.jpg

CDR_Glock
October 23, 2010, 09:51 AM
Exactly ---- ------ if I had WANTED TO CUT the guy , that is how I'd have done it. The whole thing was to get him to back off without me cutting/stabbing him.

Apples to apples == I could attach a Bali to a chain and say it is as good or better then the SAK as a flail.

Nor does anyone use "aerials" , flip a bali over your shoulder , behind your back etc. etc. in a fight. These are "tricks" and used for amusment or to perfect skills in doing such. And the same can be said for ANY fixed blade --- I've seen some IMPRESSIVE twirling , juggling etc. with a fixed blade ----- NEVER seen one used like that in a fight.

My whole point still being ----- a Bali WITHOUT a chain etc. ---- CAN BE USED as I posted in my replies.

EDIT ----- the old FHM balis were a lot larger then those of today. The "29s" were 29 cent.met. long or about six inches closed. I also have a few FHM balis that are over one foot long closed. The longer ,heavier , bigger Balis will have much more "impact" then todays standard 4" Balis do.

I have a modern day FHM 29:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d9f2-9748.jpg

I don't like the 24 cm as much. They are too wimpy feeling. Not as effective in a knife fight. I prefer 5" knives at least. Hence my 6" Master Tanto:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-da44-9e1e.jpg

CDR_Glock
October 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
BM did make a kriss bladed bali, years ago:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-4905-Titanium--4845
http://www.gettier.org/knifepics/bm_49-04.jpg
http://www.balisongcollector.com/forsale/saleG/saleG29L.jpg

good luck getting your hands on one, though.

I can get my hands on one but I don't know if I want to part with $1600. That's decent 1911 money.

CDR_Glock
October 24, 2010, 02:59 AM
I just bought the most expensive Balisong for my collection:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-cb19-3c3f.jpg

Les Voorhies Damascus with titanium liners, carbon fiber overlay.

It was a pretty stack of Benjamins!

jahwarrior
October 24, 2010, 11:36 AM
that knife deserves bigger pics!

CDR_Glock
October 27, 2010, 02:11 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-5c97-262d.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-5ca4-c94e.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-5cb2-36a3.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-5cbd-9bbf.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-5cca-a721.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-5cd5-6347.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-5ce1-1217.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-5ceb-6085.jpg

You can see why I am so nervous to flip this. It is unforgiving. She is tall and heavy. Like XENA.

I never cut with it, or any Balis for that matter. I never sharpened her, either.

This is for Da Byrds.
ROTFL

JFtheGR8
October 27, 2010, 04:31 PM
I sold my Pacific cutlery PC10 a few months ago. I bought it in '84 for $70 and sold it for more than triple that. I probably could have gotten a little more if I would have waited until after Kick A$$ came out in the theaters. It was bittersweet in that it helped me buy my Springfield XD45 and some ammo for it. I will miss that knife. :(

CDR_Glock
October 28, 2010, 06:14 PM
I sold my Pacific cutlery PC10 a few months ago. I bought it in '84 for $70 and sold it for more than triple that. I probably could have gotten a little more if I would have waited until after Kick A$$ came out in the theaters. It was bittersweet in that it helped me buy my Springfield XD45 and some ammo for it. I will miss that knife. :(

http://tapa.tk/mu/a68909d4-e739-b254.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a68909d4-e754-9273.jpg

I just got the BM 30. My PC 10 is coming in the mail. These little balis are more fun than the newer ones out. The extra weight in a little Bali is easier to do rollovers.

Gunfighter123
October 28, 2010, 11:43 PM
Some new Balis that DaBird just got --- ONLY because CDR didn't see them first ---- that guy buys everything he sees:cuss:

Ya know I luvs ya CDR --- just "hacking on ya" :neener:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/BALIGP2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/DSC04006.jpg

And got some VERY COOL ones on the way this week and next.

Silverbullit
October 29, 2010, 06:24 AM
This one is coming from Sweden:

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0ceb-638e.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0cfc-95d0.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ac6-0d0c-2624.jpg

I can't wait to get it.

It has a Titanium handle and blade.

The Roton Double Edge is coming today. I cannot wait for it to sink into my fingers!!!

Strange, Balisong/Butterfly knifes are illegal in Sweden. (I'm Swede, thus the insight)

I found a couple of posts here a bit out there...

"A Bali takes longer to open than a lot of the spring assist and automatic knives on the market."
It is quite obvious that if you encounter anyone with any "know how" whatsoever in a real life situation you will NOT know he has a knife,
he will unfold it so you do not know it is there. This goes for "him/her" both in self-defense mode or with "him/her" with the intent to shovel dirt in your face.
If you would encounter the unlike situation to quickest unfold your knife and stab to win - you would both be on a skill-level that would put you both in the same box. (Literally speaking)

"using the balisong as a nunchuck and smack people in the face" and so forth *lol how incredibly stupid*
If you encounter an opponent with the means, skills and determination to polka with you - your second conclusion should be that youre within all probability in deep ****!
(The first conclusion would be to practice the first rule in a sharp edged scenario, turn your shoes 180 degrees and USE THEM!)
If you needed to read the paranthesis above on the first rule, you should really avoid in getting in to any life-threatening situations like in these discussions.

Sorry I took for granted that my objection to the latter would be obvious for everyone.
If you try to smack somebody in the face knife to knife it would involve three basic facts,
1/ As you both are edge to edge, while you tried some silly bitch-slap to his face, he would plant his pigsticker in your clever chest
2/ Actually even if you think this guy is unarmed and helpless he hides his knife if he has any knowledge whatsoever, youre unawareness of this would suggest you have no clue to what your in for. Which in this case scenario would be a skilled fighter that would by now likely sliced your fingers, filÚd your entire forearm while lifting it towards his face to slap him, you would be wide open and he/her would have taken your knife away and stabbed you in your armpit followed up by slicing your throat, then either backed off to watch you bleed out or finished the job. And worser case scenario he knows basic stuff like working an angle/cutting the angle, than you would be unrecognizable by now.
3/ I don't even know why I bother... If you need to have this discussion just frikkin run!

These are horrible facts, and I'm not trying to be a smart-a**, just making it clear in case anyone has any delusions. Cause it could save your life for something more meaningful.
I beleive somebody here bragged about some real life encounters, I will not, in fact I will say nothing that could be held against me in a court of law or otherwise.
Not that there is, I apply the first rule, running like a little girl in a friday the 13:th sequel if I have this eminent option.
Secondly I put little faith in anybody flashing stories in a public forum to prove a point just as I guess you do to.

If Darwins theory has any application to reality some people here upon attempting to prove their theories will undoubtedly not show up for a second post!
So a warning in all well meaning,
there is a wast difference between juggling a knife and doing fancy tricks from the skill and determination to use it in a real life situation. (Self defense or otherwise)
If youre a softminded knife-juggling teenager struck by the bright idea of scaring some poor soul with that fancy juggling you could hit jackpot and run in to someone who actually knows and trained to use a knife.
Even if hes without a knife, you would be in deep **** if you brought yours for him to take.
If youre not catching the drift now, let me put it this way,
BAD IDEA!!!

There are more people than you wish to know out there that had, beyond the obvious types, specific martial arts training, army education (Haganah, Spetzna, Hunterbranch, legionarres, even more modern varieties as FIGHT/Haganah) some Prison systems and so forth. The people you romantisize being are out there. If you locked your door to keep mom and pop from seing you juggle for years in your room it helps none, any and each above would unfortunately enough file you.
I have a past in the army and more experience of the above mentioned systems than I care to admit, I would run. I have met some real bad-asses during these sessions and otherwise, they breathed, guess why? They ran!
Allt this is rethorical - because it all boils down to being psycho or a last resort as self-defense.
If you still not planning on getting yourself a good pair of airbubbled Nike's to match your beautiful balisongs theres not much more I can say...

Stay alive, stay at home in front of a mirror dream youre a superhero and do your juggling alone within locked doors.
For all our sakes!
I gather most people here are alright upstairs, but just in case theres some feeble minded person dreaming of enacting his fantasies IRL...

Take care of yourselves instead. Even if you take offense I hope you can appreciate that I placed this post in all well-meaning.
You have family, friends, relatives and forum-mates that appreciates you sticking around IRL!

/Silverbullit *babbling idiot*

CDR_Glock
October 29, 2010, 08:47 AM
Silverbullit

I meant Belgium not Sweden.

My primary defense is avoidance and situational awareness. To use a lethal weapon of any type is a last resort, for me. I have been in one compromising situation but I talked my way out of it, and escaped.

Even though I carry a firearm/backup gun or magazine, it would not give me the right or need to lower my threshold to use on anyone. My Fight or Flight response is still to run, unless cornered.

The knife I carry is for day to day use. It is a weapon of last resort. Only if avoidance, voice of reason, firearm failure and means of escape have not succeed, then I would resort to a knife. My backup is a fixed blade before I would use a folder. But as you can see, I will avoid a death match at all costs.

My hobby of collecting knives and manipulating balisongs is limited to the home. Fancy tricks are great to watch and perform but are a great way to end up bleeding to death. That I understand. These fancy flips, rollovers and aerials are a practice of skill; however, I do make the distinction between performance and survival.

Your points are well taken. The flash and awe of a knife being shown is nothing less than reckless. In of itself, it intimidates no one. In the presence of a master weapons practitioner it makes for an adjunct to the most important tool in the vast assortment of weapons...the human brain.

http://tapa.tk/mu/a68909d4-b421-cb7f.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a68909d4-b43a-5e96.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a68909d4-b44e-6915.jpg

Now back to the thread....

Gunfighter123
October 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Silverbullit -----
I will start my reply by saying I find your reply to be both RUDE and UNINFORMED.

It is quite obvious that if you encounter anyone with any "know how" whatsoever in a real life situation you will NOT know he has a knife,
he will unfold it so you do not know it is there. This goes for "him/her" both in self-defense mode or with "him/her" with the intent to shovel dirt in your face.
If you would encounter the unlike situation to quickest unfold your knife and stab to win - you would both be on a skill-level that would put you both in the same box. (Literally speaking)

I guess with all your "real world encounters" --- you know this to be a FACT 100% of the time ??? So there is NO CHANCE of me spotting their hand going into their pocket to pull out a fold/fixed knife ??? And NOT A CHANCE that a simple face to face arguement , turns into a armed conflict ??? And in that last sentance , are you talking about a "quick draw" High Noon type "shoot out" ?? You state " and stab to win "?? I have been taught to SLASH OR STAB ---- if you attempt to "draw and stab" a person and that person has been training { notice I said TRAINING and NOT JUST TRAINED } in a stick/blade MA , that person SHOULD , at the very FIRST THING , be blocking/checking the most threat --- in this case -- the knife hand. IF you "block" a thrust with YOUR KNIFE , chances are you have cut tendions , muscles , etc. in the hand / wrist / arm. MAYBE you have never heard the term "defanging the snake" ?? Take out the "fangs" {knife hand} and the snake is no longer as big a threat.

NOW --- before you "pick and choose" a minor point. Should a person ALWAYS try to cut the BGs knife hand ??? OF COURSE NOT !!! But CONTINUAL TRAINING , will allow you to go on "auto-pilot" and you will go for any target you can get , be it with a Slash or a Thrust.

Sorry I took for granted that my objection to the latter would be obvious for everyone.
If you try to smack somebody in the face knife to knife it would involve three basic facts,
1/ As you both are edge to edge, while you tried some silly bitch-slap to his face, he would plant his pigsticker in your clever chest
2/ Actually even if you think this guy is unarmed and helpless he hides his knife if he has any knowledge whatsoever, youre unawareness of this would suggest you have no clue to what your in for. Which in this case scenario would be a skilled fighter that would by now likely sliced your fingers, filÚd your entire forearm while lifting it towards his face to slap him, you would be wide open and he/her would have taken your knife away and stabbed you in your armpit followed up by slicing your throat, then either backed off to watch you bleed out or finished the job. And worser case scenario he knows basic stuff like working an angle/cutting the angle, than you would be unrecognizable by now.
3/ I don't even know why I bother... If you need to have this discussion just frikkin run!

Three FACTS as YOU see it !!!

Your Fact # 1 ------ "edge to edge , he plants his pig sticker in your chest" ----- and you mean as I " try to bitch-slap him in the face with my nunchuk -Balisong-Ninja Move" , I take it ???? REREAD the WHOLE part of being able to use a bali as a flail/nunchuk ---- it IS NOT a move to cripple or kill -- it is a POSSIBLE TACTIC . Should you use this "trick" as someone tries to "plant a pig-sticker" in you ???? NO and NOWHERE in my post can you show WHERE I SAID to do so. It should go without saying -- But -- I guess it needs to be said. IF YOU ARE ATTACKED WITH A DEADLY WEAPON , GO FOR THE "STOP" OR KILL TARGET. The "flail/nunchuck" is a option , used to either surprise someone with a MINOR hit or distract them so you can " place your pig sticker in THEIR chest" .

Your FACT # 2 ------ I have NO IDEA what your point is !!!

Your Fact # 3 ---- I don't know why I bother either !!! But MAYBE it is to have a DISCUSSION ---- MAYBE to LEARN something from another poster , and MAYBE to TEACH a single point to others on the forum.

I beleive somebody here bragged about some real life encounters, I will not, in fact I will say nothing that could be held against me in a court of law or otherwise.
Not that there is, I apply the first rule, running like a little girl in a friday the 13:th sequel if I have this eminent option.
Secondly I put little faith in anybody flashing stories in a public forum to prove a point just as I guess you do to.

IF YOU are talking about ME -- PLEASE show the "brag" part. And YOU will not say "anything that could be used in a court of law " ???? PLEASE GET REAL and SHOW WHAT your talking about ---- what did I post that could be used against me in a court ???? LOL If YOU don't want to go public with YOUR real life encounters , have the manners to not try to ridicul those that do, please. You state you "have little faith in a person flashing flashing stories in a public forum etc " ----- Well Sir , I have VERY LITTLE faith in someone who says " I know this because I've done it BUT I just can't talk about it " !!!

[/I have a past in the army and more experience of the above mentioned systems than I care to admit, I would run. I have met some real bad-asses during these sessions and otherwise, they breathed, guess why? They ran!
QUOTE]

I can not argue with that --- BUT -- your remarks in most of your post before that , seem to be saying that other posters {ME} -- are/have said the opposite --- again -- show me where I or others have stated "NEVER RUN but stay to fight to the death" etc.

[QUOTE]Even if you take offense I hope you can appreciate that I placed this post in all well-meaning.

I started my reply by saying I thought your post was rude and uninformed.
Maybe it was the way you wrote it or maybe it is just me. I will not be silent or bullied into silence with attempted ridicule of which I feel you tried to do.

If Darwins theory has any application to reality some people here upon attempting to prove their theories will undoubtedly not show up for a second post!

Silverbullit ----- I don't know Darwin and I don't know you either. If you want to have a civil discussion and debate pros and cons of whatever --- i will show up for a 3rd , 4th , 5th post/reply.

Now I will close my post with the wise words of a wisexxx man ----
Even if you take offense I hope you can appreciate that I placed this post in all well-meaning.

jahwarrior
October 29, 2010, 03:43 PM
you gotta love all the Internet Commandos, who deign to share their intimate and irrefutable knowledge of what self defense techniques will and won't work.:rolleyes:

CDR_Glock
October 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
Let's calm down and just get back to showing our knives. Can't we all just get along?

Gunfighter123: you're holding back on your Bali sources! Pray tell!

My Les Voorhies arrived! Pix to follow!

CDR_Glock
October 29, 2010, 06:42 PM
Les Voorhies No. 7 Titanium Liner,Red Carbon Spacer and Black Carbon overlay with a 5" Damascus Blade and Damascus Roller T latch. This is a pleasure to flip!!! It is smooth, quiet, large, beautiful and light.

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a33-3e64-468b.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a33-3eca-43a8.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a33-3f18-4318.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a33-3f40-4913.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a33-3f5f-a92c.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a33-3f7a-9bf0.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a33-3fa4-927f.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a33-3fce-b681.jpg

What a piece of Heaven!

Silverbullit
October 29, 2010, 07:16 PM
CDR_Glock
Your choices certainly seems initiated. Besides the Glock, the bowie (Positive in both defense and attack) and the tanto from cold steel would have me worried in the before mentioned order. =) To quote a friend "Cold steel makes nice quality knifes and hilarious videos." What lies beneath the balisong? Can't quite make it out on my small screen..

Seriously speaking Gunfighter123, this is not the only, first nor last post about carrying knifes in self defense purpose and I think you got my point. My comment that if your scenario of slapping involved people in return armed with edged weapons like for instance Vladimir Vasilij or Mike Kanarek it would probably be a bad idea to attempt any slapping. However if you interpreted that my post was aimed towards you in person it was not the case, my apologies. CDR_Glock caught my point stating the difference between play and cold reality, I thought you would read between the lines also G123. My apologies yet again, Are we okey Gunfighter123?

My aim was to sound harsh to catch attention upon fancy balisong moves could in fact do more damage than help and snap youngsters out of any grandoise delusions.
I posted in hope that nobody at all would get hurt, period.

/Silverbullit *couch potato alter ego internet superhero*

CDR_Glock
October 30, 2010, 12:42 AM
Silverbullit

That is a Benchmade Infidel 3300 Out the Front Knife. It was hot that day and carrying a 11" fixed blade was going to be too obvious.

When it gets colder I can carry my more formidable Bowie or Cold Steel Tanto.

BTW. check out Knife Forums. A guy has a GORGEOUS 1950s SWEDISH Balisong. Wow!

Here is my other knife that came today.

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-93b6-1410.jpg

Filipino FHM Old School 24 cm. Thin handles and very quiet.

There is a distinction between Balis sold by Pinoy Steel and others that seem to trickle in from other distribution sites. Jay at Pinoy Steel sells great FHMs. Solid, great value and quality workmanship.

Gunfighter123
October 30, 2010, 05:17 AM
Silverbullit ---- Sorry for being harsh --- got the flu and a fever -- drinking that damn Nyquil makes me cranky ---- or it could be because that darn CDR keeps snipeing all the balis as I doze off !!! I may have to email HIS WIFE to check the balance of his credit cards !!! LOL

Silverbullit --- i take back anything that may have been insulting to you and I AM SORRY for making it sound personal -- forgive me.

I am not as big a jerk as I seemed in my reply -- and I do hope that we are cool.

CDR --- got new goodies , will post tomorrow !!!!! Don't it just suck , me knowing your CC numbers !!!!! Thanks for the early Christmas !!! lol

CDR_Glock
October 30, 2010, 08:34 AM
Some new Balis that DaBird just got --- ONLY because CDR didn't see them first ---- that guy buys everything he sees:cuss:

Ya know I luvs ya CDR --- just "hacking on ya" :neener:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/BALIGP2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/DSC04006.jpg

And got some VERY COOL ones on the way this week and next.

Dang!

Are you starting a balisong museum in Chi-Town?

You have more Balis in those two pix than I have in my collecione' (French Accent).

CDR_Glock
October 30, 2010, 08:37 AM
Silverbullit ---- Sorry for being harsh --- got the flu and a fever -- drinking that damn Nyquil makes me cranky ---- or it could be because that darn CDR keeps snipeing all the balis as I doze off !!! I may have to email HIS WIFE to check the balance of his credit cards !!! LOL

Silverbullit --- i take back anything that may have been insulting to you and I AM SORRY for making it sound personal -- forgive me.

I am not as big a jerk as I seemed in my reply -- and I do hope that we are cool.

CDR --- got new goodies , will post tomorrow !!!!! Don't it just suck , me knowing your CC numbers !!!!! Thanks for the early Christmas !!! lol

You have more? Man! You are the Bali-King.

Whaddya think about my Carbon fiber Bali? She is a Beauty! It's like Bali Porn.

Silverbullit
October 30, 2010, 09:41 AM
Howdy mates,

Yes were okey Gunfighter123, I do hope youre feeling better from the flu?
(I'm down with pneumonia myself for the third time this year and you have my sympathies. Starting to figure it might be related to my bullet-casting, need to check my vent system takes care of all fumes...)
I re-read my post and you were right, I sounded cranky and I am glad that you accepted my apologies and that were o.k.!
DON'T have his wife check the balance - we would miss his beautiful posts mate! ;)

CDR_Glock, I posted at the same time as you and missed that no.7, it looks marvelous and you got me curious if it feels qualitive to?
In fact theres a lot of beautiful balis in your posts, like the bradley =)
I will see if I can find that Swedish bali you spoke of.
Before the ban they were quite common here in Sweden, they were sold as "Fishing knives/Fishermens knives". Some models where common, that after the arrival of internet became apparant to me, were quite odd internationally compared.
After the ban I had to get rid of my personal collection, I wish they could have gone to sincere collectors as yourselfes...

/Silverbullit

Gunfighter123
October 30, 2010, 02:30 PM
Whaddya think about my Carbon fiber Bali? She is a Beauty! It's like Bali Porn.

Well , I think it is like the Mona Lisa of Balisongs !!!!!!!!!!

ANd I THINK it deserves a much better home then YOU can give --- better send it TO ME and I'll start a collage fund , dental plan , and make damn sure it will never get abused by its mate when it grows up and leaves DaBird Nest.

My lawyer will grant you weekend visits and two weeks unsupervised vacations a year ----- I'd NEVER stand in the way of its REAL Parent :neener:

Gunfighter123
October 30, 2010, 03:23 PM
A BM40TR
A BM43MC
A Dalton Special Forces "custom"

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/DG1.jpg

Gunfighter123
October 30, 2010, 03:27 PM
I been waitting for this like a kid at Christmas !!!!

"Custom" Rob Dalton Special Forces Bali --- and it IS "Special" !!!!!

Features ---- 5 1/8" blade , Carbon Fiber Grip Panels , Roller Bearings , Top Swedge SHARP , and "Special" Ser. Number

A full review in a few days --- when I get the balls to flip it !!! This Bali is a MONSTER --- BIG , HEAVY , SCARY SHARP :what:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/Sf1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/Sf4.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/Sf3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Bladed%20%20Weapons/SF2.jpg

CDR_Glock
October 30, 2010, 05:42 PM

Features ---- 5 1/8" blade , Carbon Fiber Grip Panels , Roller Bearings , Top Swedge SHARP , and "Special" Ser. Number

A full review in a few days --- when I get the balls to flip it !!! This Bali is a MONSTER --- BIG , HEAVY , SCARY SHARP :what:

That is mighty fine.

Too rich for my blood.

Do they make $2 Bali's???

CDR_Glock
October 30, 2010, 05:43 PM
Well , I think it is like the Mona Lisa of Balisongs !!!!!!!!!!

ANd I THINK it deserves a much better home then YOU can give --- better send it TO ME and I'll start a collage fund , dental plan , and make damn sure it will never get abused by its mate when it grows up and leaves DaBird Nest.

My lawyer will grant you weekend visits and two weeks unsupervised vacations a year ----- I'd NEVER stand in the way of its REAL Parent :neener:

Nope, The Girl is mine! Mine! Mine! Oh the girl is mine!

CDR_Glock
October 30, 2010, 05:45 PM
Howdy mates,

Yes were okey Gunfighter123, I do hope youre feeling better from the flu?
(I'm down with pneumonia myself for the third time this year and you have my sympathies. Starting to figure it might be related to my bullet-casting, need to check my vent system takes care of all fumes...)
I re-read my post and you were right, I sounded cranky and I am glad that you accepted my apologies and that were o.k.!
DON'T have his wife check the balance - we would miss his beautiful posts mate! ;)

CDR_Glock, I posted at the same time as you and missed that no.7, it looks marvelous and you got me curious if it feels qualitive to?

In fact theres a lot of beautiful balis in your posts, like the bradley =)
I will see if I can find that Swedish bali you spoke of.
(...)
After the ban I had to get rid of my personal collection, I wish they could have gone to sincere collectors as yourselfes...

/Silverbullit

The feel is like nothing I have experienced in a Bali. Smooth, light and fast.

CDR_Glock
October 30, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have one last knife incoming...from Belgium: Mikkel Willumsen (any day now).

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890990-da52-acbe.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890990-da6b-ec60.jpg

Here are the pics of what I have now. I have a case to store all of them now. I am done. I am not buying any more....she put my credit cards into our shredder. Arrggh!

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890990-d9dd-37ee.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890990-d9f8-08f9.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890990-da14-df29.jpg

jahwarrior
October 31, 2010, 12:26 AM
originally posted by CDR_Glock:

I am done. I am not buying any more....

yeah, riiiiiiiiight......:rolleyes:

CDR_Glock
October 31, 2010, 09:16 PM

666 is your serial number?

It is a beast. Is it something that you think I would enjoy!

zignal_zero
November 1, 2010, 02:46 AM
I sold my Pacific cutlery PC10 a few months ago. I bought it in '84 for $70 and sold it for more than triple that. I probably could have gotten a little more if I would have waited until after Kick A$$ came out in the theaters. It was bittersweet in that it helped me buy my Springfield XD45 and some ammo for it. I will miss that knife.

wow, that's a kind of disturbing seeing as how i sold my PCC11 AFTER "Kick Ass", for 85bux. then again, mine wasn't in great shape.

Gunfighter123
November 1, 2010, 03:03 AM
Hi Zig ---- do not be to down on yourself --- I've had that PCC11 for sale for $140 from when I bought it and still have not sold it !!!! If you want to buy it back PM me and I will cut a good deal.

Gunfighter123
November 1, 2010, 03:08 AM
CDR ---- Yes , I requested 666 --- and my 2nd SF I ordered is # 999 --- unless you hold it UPSIDE DOWN !!!!

Now I got a email from Rob stateing he is offering a " members club " bali in December.
That is just about the time I got to pay for the 2nd SF bali ---- I am going to love Christmas ----- BUT ---- will my wife still love ME ???

zignal_zero
November 1, 2010, 03:15 AM
Gunfighter123

i figured the new owner of my old knife was in here somewhere and reading this :) did you refurb it, at all? just curious, i don't need it back. it IS one of two knives that i DO miss (PCC11 & BM42), but neither are more important than the BM51 and the Smoke Jumper that i need to buy. i'm pretty sure i'm going to die, if i don't get those two knives. so, i can't be travelling backwards. plus, that wasn't my only PCC11 :D

i thought i had done enough homework and priced that knife, correctly. it just comes as a shocker when i read stuff like what i bolded.

edit to add - unfortunately, the BM42 i sold WAS my only 42 :(

CDR_Glock
November 1, 2010, 07:32 AM
CDR ---- Yes , I requested 666 --- and my 2nd SF I ordered is # 999 --- unless you hold it UPSIDE DOWN !!!!

Now I got a email from Rob stateing he is offering a " members club " bali in December.
That is just about the time I got to pay for the 2nd SF bali ---- I am going to love Christmas ----- BUT ---- will my wife still love ME ???

What is a Members Club version?

This doesn't look like a flipper to me. It looks like a fixed blade replacement.

Does it come with a case or belt clip?

IF and only IF I grabbed one...SERRATED OR STRAIGHT edge? I would personally go for straight edge. However, if I had to sell it, I would like to know if it's easier to sell one or the other.

CDR_Glock
November 1, 2010, 07:35 PM
No mas! No mas!
- Roberto Duran

My last and latest Balisong from BELGIUM by Mikkel Willumsen, his first Bali and a one of a kind:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-403b-0a8d.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-4049-57e9.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-4057-1159.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-4063-fe76.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-4071-5040.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-4082-03cf.jpg

Latchless Bali with Titanium Blade and Handle.

It is smooth and lightweight making it a great flipper.

jahwarrior
November 1, 2010, 08:05 PM
well, since we're sharing our collections, her's my measly bunch....:p

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/jahwarrior72/armoury/001-8.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/jahwarrior72/armoury/002-4.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/jahwarrior72/armoury/004-11.jpg

greyling22
November 1, 2010, 08:21 PM
I wish I could find a copy of the twist. they seem to have dried up.

Gunfighter123
November 1, 2010, 10:06 PM
JAH ---- nice start to a collection ---- I have been saying this for two years, the MTech Twist is a BEST BUY in a bali in the $75 and under bracket.
And is the black handle bali a "tank" --- I hear good things about it --- how is it ???

CDR --- IMHO , a reg. blade will be a bit better in the resale market then a ser. blade. ----- and YES , I like your newest bali ---- BUT -- the maker stored it near some mice nest !!! There is a BUNCH of holes in the blade:neener:

Greyling ---- yes -- the MTech Twists have seemed to dry up.

CDR_Glock
November 1, 2010, 10:26 PM
JAH ---- nice start to a collection ---- I have been saying this for two years, the MTech Twist is a BEST BUY in a bali in the $75 and under bracket.
And is the black handle bali a "tank" --- I hear good things about it --- how is it ???

CDR --- IMHO , a reg. blade will be a bit better in the resale market then a ser. blade. ----- and YES , I like your newest bali ---- BUT -- the maker stored it near some mice nest !!! There is a BUNCH of holes in the blade:neener:

Greyling ---- yes -- the MTech Twists have seemed to dry up.

I had a chance to buy one from your supplier but a little bird told me not to. I decided against it. It would have led to my "death". It's too heavy for me to flip and I'll only keep/buy flippers.

I want to get an FHM Kris. I already let Jay at Pinoy Steel know - 33 cm.

I am really going for customs, now.

I love this titanium one. It gives me confidence on aerials. It's latchless so it makes less noise than average.

I was flipping my Arc Angel and doing aerials with it. The Roton, I am too scared to do aerials but I will flip it and do rollovers.

Gunfighter123: thanks for introducing me to this artform. I don't know if I'll ever be good enough to do videos. I am working to be as good as that Jesus-lookalike on YouTube with double knives.

I just wanna be good enough for this:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-68b5-bc30.jpg

jahwarrior
November 1, 2010, 10:36 PM
Gunfighter, your post on another forum is what inspired me to buy the Twist! as for the Tank, i like flipping it. it is solid knife, indeed. great for aerials and rollovers, not so much for twirls. i don't kow what the handle insert material is. it might be wood, but it's probably some dense plastic. i haven't cut yself on it yet, thankfully. my brother bought it for me for my brithday, but i would've eventually bought it myself; it's definitely worth $20+, in my opinion.

CDR_Glock
November 2, 2010, 09:54 AM
People keep asking about the distinction between the 51 and 42. The 42 is heavier and thicker and has a longer handle. The 51 is light and takes more momentum to do rollovers. Because it is lighter, it is more forgiving on cuts since at a given velocity it doesn't dig into the skin. It is a more forgiving knife when it comes to aerials. In general, if you are a twirler then choose the 42. If you like aerials, choose the 51.

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a95-0671-135a.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a95-06a1-db09.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a95-0704-e450.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a95-0799-e472.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890a95-0805-a13a.jpg

CDR_Glock
November 2, 2010, 08:30 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b11-9bf0-4017.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b11-9c02-1d99.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b11-9c14-1162.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b11-9c26-2129.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b11-9c37-ffcd.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b11-9c50-e0b6.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890b11-9c6b-fa89.jpg

This is a closer look at the 51. It's handle is shorter even though the blade length is the same as the 42. The Spring latch is smooth and more responsive than the 42. It is smooth and light and requires more momentum for twirls, rollovers and catching but because it's light, it is forgiving when it comes to ricochets and cuts.

Handle is solid and there is little play. Its tighter fit is due to the microwashers at each location. The G10 is smooth whereas the 32 is more rough.

The blade is hard but easy to sharpen. The rounded spine on the blade makes it useful for pressing the index finger upon it for cutting. Because there is not a lot of metal, it's one of my quietest knives second only to a full sized Spyderfly. Locking the latch allows me to have a virtually quiet experience with only light clicks.

The jeweled finish of the liner is gorgeous and it truly mimicks it's namesake, the Morpho Butterfly.

I am bothered that BM went with microfiber sacks instead of the nylon pouch/sheath. However the anodized blue titanium clip is sturdy and secure.

It's a beautiful knife that is underrated in the Balisong World. I love the 51.

OTOH
I am not a fan of the 53. NO liner, cheap spacer and undeserving of the 5x numeration given the shorter blade. For the price of a 53, I would rather have an FHM from Pinoy Steel. The value to price ratio is hard to beat.

CDR_Glock
November 15, 2010, 12:04 AM
Well I am trading one BM51 (why have two, right?) plus cash for this knife:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-b012-5644.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-b02b-7ec8.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-b055-03c0.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-b0b9-ee7c.jpg

A Larry Davidson Hornet. I love the G10 scales and the length of the blade. It's Latchless so it will be pretty stealthy.

I did sell off the rarest knife I had...the BM48S. That BM43 was also let go. The main deciding factors for me was the T-Latch. I am not a fan.

CDR_Glock
November 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
Here are my pictures of the knife:

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ab4-5f2c-f2e2.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ab4-5f40-2a0a.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ab4-5f5f-955a.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890ab4-5f82-6007.jpg

CDR_Glock
November 23, 2010, 10:04 AM
This is a Benchmade 30. It flips a lot smoother than a BM 32 Morpho. It has a polished blade with a mirror finish. Only two knives that I own have a mirror finish on the blade.

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c8ba-f499.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c8d0-6be9.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c8e1-d0e1.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c8f5-c29f.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c915-6d08.jpg

The other little stainless I own is a Pacific Cutlery Model 10. Gorgeous design and easy to flip due to its weight.

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c978-25ab.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c986-a1d8.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c999-a4ad.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c9c7-b4f7.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-c9da-0fb0.jpg

CDR_Glock
November 25, 2010, 09:58 AM
Benchmade 32. Great knife. Tough to flip, though.

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6a04-0d6c.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6a18-8b25.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6a54-b77d.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6a65-a137.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6a78-23a5.jpg

Newer generation 154 CM BM 42. Rough texture when compared to the older ones. It had to oiled when I received it since it was "noisier" than my old one. Strange!

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6acd-1eba.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6b00-7c99.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6b13-fa16.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-6b29-3302.jpg

CDR_Glock
November 30, 2010, 08:15 AM
New knives by the USPS.

Szabo, WT, Darrel Ralph DDR Project X.

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890afe-eb00-eda8.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890afe-eb15-eea7.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890afe-eb2a-1b16.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890afe-eb3f-cdb9.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890afe-eb4d-d163.jpg

I also a Bente Nueve Kris that came in.

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-ab08-9c87.jpg

And a non Bali Damascus, Henry Morgan:

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890afe-eb72-e115.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6890afe-eb84-7517.jpg

rayman
November 30, 2010, 08:32 AM
here you go...

CDR_Glock
December 3, 2010, 06:56 PM
I prefer the BM 42 in 440C. The handles are smoother than the newer BM 42 154 CM.

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-7551-b213.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-7572-b20e.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-757d-e345.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-758a-ea50.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-759a-8e6a.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 4, 2010, 01:52 AM
Warren Thomas and Spyderco Szabofly.

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d5e5-1b9a.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d5f9-6d43.jpg

Darrel Ralph DDR with Tritium Inserts:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d622-8aaa.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d632-f5de.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d644-9bed.jpg

Chili Brothers/Larry Davidson
habanero. It's an all G10 handle but the 4.5" blade makes this a formidable EDC. It's my fourth Latchless Bali:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d69a-0d1b.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d6b6-6932.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d6c8-0809.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d6d9-b8ba.jpg

FHM Bente Nueve Kris:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d6f5-b1cd.jpg

I also bought a BM 51 Prototype.

CDR_Glock
December 4, 2010, 01:54 AM
I sent off my Arc Angel Wide Point for anodizing.
BEFORE
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d747-3f5e.jpg
AFTER
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-d75a-e65b.jpg
ASSEMBLED
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-06b8-836b.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-06cc-2098.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-06df-edfb.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 4, 2010, 11:37 PM
Here are some knives I have that I will saying goodbye to.

Jigged Horse Bone, Brass Channels
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-071f-6830.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-074c-1a90.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-0765-45a6.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-0775-1e9f.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-0784-ca86.jpg

Nara wood, Brass bolsters, brass channels, Rounded spine
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-07c4-60a2.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-07db-2c64.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-07ef-c4f8.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-07ff-ef1a.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-080f-b485.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 4, 2010, 11:38 PM
Pacific Cutlery 10
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-0889-ea19.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-0895-45f9.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-08a3-df11.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-08b0-3842.jpg

Benchmade Model 30, 3" Stainless
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-081f-67d7.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-0841-58cd.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-084f-d9d2.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-085c-8869.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-0870-5a89.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 5, 2010, 12:14 AM
Larry Davidson BaliPinch:

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-1163-1167.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-1171-cf17.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-118b-c7c6.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 5, 2010, 12:39 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-4a67-c92d.jpg

Spyderco Smallfly bite. These little bastards are sharp. I got cocky doing an aerial without watching it land...BLADE FIRST.

CDR_Glock
December 6, 2010, 09:47 PM
Someone wanted a comparison between a BM 51 and spyderco Szabo.

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-9172-e8cc.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-9185-235b.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-9192-3457.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-91a0-dc3a.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-91ae-9d8a.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-91c0-a47b.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-922d-5d82.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/62e757ea-923c-75c2.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 10, 2010, 01:40 PM
Chili brothers Habanera

It's a keeper! The tang is long which pinches on a rollover. I gotta figure this one out. It will be my EDC!

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a689091a-65b9-732d.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a689091a-65ee-3dc3.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a689091a-661e-b2c6.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
My Chili brothers Habanera! Comparison to a BM 42.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-a794-3341.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-a81e-16fc.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 10, 2010, 06:49 PM
I just got the Kimura V. Great knife for the price! I suggest you get one! Here are size comparisons to a 42 and KIV

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-ad59-b984.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-ad81-6f0b.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-ad9e-a3cf.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-adb9-fe88.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-add5-7bec.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-ae4b-ff8e.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 11, 2010, 07:53 AM
I got my dream knife! No, it's not a BM 49. It's the double edged Arc Angel!

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-65cd-ed97.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-65e1-c955.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-65ef-6b40.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-65fc-f1f3.jpg

She even gave me a love bite!

CDR_Glock
December 11, 2010, 07:55 AM
Since I have the Arc Angel, the Roton will have to leave. It's heavy but too dangerous as a flipper.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-667e-3410.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-6698-ec02.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-66a3-7c95.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-66ad-746a.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-66b8-0e7c.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 11, 2010, 10:46 AM
Bali bites!

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-8e89-6d54.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-8e9c-ce9f.jpg

Double edged goodness!

CDR_Glock
December 11, 2010, 06:08 PM
Kimura IV

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-f61a-c4f7.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-f62b-208f.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-f636-f554.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-f642-dba8.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 12, 2010, 08:44 AM
Someone from All About Pocket knives AAPK wanted some pictures:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-c2be-2d08.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-c2c9-98d0.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-c2d4-e740.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-c2e0-a1bb.jpg

Close up of Warren Thomas, MD CALDWELL, Dalton, Darrel Ralph, and Les Voorhies:
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-c2ed-6761.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-c324-054b.jpg
Chili Brothers Habanera handles and Darrel Ralph Titanium/Tritium Handles
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-c32f-8213.jpg
In the case:
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-c368-7d96.jpg

I have two Basilisks coming in, as well as a 39 cm FHM Spearpoint.

I am about to buy another custom Bali with titanium liner and hardware with G10 scales/custom sheath. It's going to be gorgeous!

CDR_Glock
December 16, 2010, 11:02 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-d26b-3979.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-d27a-398d.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-d28a-52c4.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-d299-2b60.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-d2a5-2171.jpg

Jerry Hom and rob dalton Basilisk.

Looks like a 51 but it's a whole Lot better.

jahwarrior
December 17, 2010, 07:50 PM
YOU SUCK.

i hate you, i mean, i really, really hate you.

CDR_Glock
December 18, 2010, 10:09 AM
YOU SUCK.

i hate you, i mean, i really, really hate you.

You didn't like the Basilisk?

jahwarrior
December 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
i hate you because I DON'T HAVE ONE.

CDR_Glock
December 19, 2010, 12:46 AM
i hate you because I DON'T HAVE ONE.

Hard to find. I agree. 109 made. I may be getting a second one, but I would trade it for a special forces Dalton....

Back to more knives:

BM 42S:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/42bf3082-8d55-0a91.jpg

I have a BM41MC coming but it would be hard to get rid of it...I love the Khukri blade.

I also have a Larry Davidson Damascus with Manta Ray Skin coming. Damascus has always intrigued me.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/42bf3082-cd87-686d.jpg

PIX coming soon.

Erik
December 20, 2010, 11:21 PM
Some nice balisongs have been posted in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Erik - Balisong fan; as much for the practical as the aesthetic as the fun

CDR_Glock
December 25, 2010, 03:41 PM
Some nice balisongs have been posted in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Erik - Balisong fan; as much for the practical as the aesthetic as the fun

Wait until I get my BM49...next week!

CDR_Glock
December 25, 2010, 11:54 PM
Here are what Bali Claus gave me:

41MC,39 cm FHM Spear, 42S and Larry Davidson Damascus
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-bb40-5879.jpg

41MC
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-bb7a-1d82.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-bb8f-37ff.jpg

42S, Don't know if this is a Keeper, yet:
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-bba4-a07f.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-bbc6-04ff.jpg

Larry Davidson
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-bbdb-6480.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-bbe7-d026.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-bbf3-b868.jpg

My Behemoth 39 cm FHM from Jay at Pinoy Steel:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-8ac0-cbcc.jpg

I also got two trainers but one is for my Nephew and the other is just a Spyderfly trainer.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-8ad2-7fd2.jpg

CDR_Glock
December 28, 2010, 09:10 PM
Bali Claus is bringing this one to me, this week, a Gedraitis!!!

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-8a3f-a5b9.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-8a4b-aeda.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-8a5a-6d85.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-8a6b-8545.jpg

Beautiful work! I cannot wait for this one!!!!

CDR_Glock
December 31, 2010, 08:06 PM
Here are my latest:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a68908b5-6ec7-390f.jpg

BM 49-05
BM 46MC
BM 41MC
Larry Davidson Damascus
Basilisk
Gerdraitis Damascus

CDR_Glock
January 1, 2011, 07:57 PM
Closer pix:

My last few Balisongs of the year arrived!
BM 49-05
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bcee-5cd9.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bcfe-8ce4.jpg
BM 41MC
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bd0f-d10a.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bd32-6446.jpg
BM 46MC
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bd54-6225.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bd6b-00ba.jpg
Jerry Hom/Dalton Basilisk
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bd8f-0519.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bda0-a291.jpg
Gedraitis Damascus
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-bdbd-30fd.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b63-be1c-6134.jpg

CDR_Glock
January 5, 2011, 09:10 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-160e-77a3.jpg

I am a big fan of Warren Thomas, after my good friend, Gunfighter123, opened my eyes to WTs work.

This is titanium with carbon and Carbide bonded to it. IKBS and titanium handles. It may kick the tritium/Titanium DDRs A$S.

Jan 11, 2011 (1/11/11): my baby will be coming home!

rayman
January 7, 2011, 01:12 PM
I figured this thread would have died a few months ago (as most threads do here) but man, you've got a lot of balis. Not a lot of crappy one either. Your collection must be worth a little under $10K? Nice collection.

CDR_Glock
January 8, 2011, 08:49 AM
I figured this thread would have died a few months ago (as most threads do here) but man, you've got a lot of balis. Not a lot of crappy one either. Your collection must be worth a little under $10K? Nice collection.

I have 3 panels in the case. I panel of customs is probably $6k. The productions are probably $5k with one from last night and the 49.

CDR_Glock
January 9, 2011, 10:45 AM
Basilisk and the Morpho

A few weeks ago, I asked the question about how these two are different or similar. Only in the most distant manner are they similar, a sandwich construction.

The basilisk has a stainless liner that is more substantive in weight. The spacer near the latch is what I feel gives the basilisk a distinct advantage for flipping, giving it a more even balance when flipping. The blade is thicker and workmanship is more refined. The curves of the upswept Bowie blade make it better suited for EDC AND Utility. The guards are thicker giving it a distinct advantage for fighting. The handles are more rounded and fuller giving the user more control, and I noticed that the G10 is thinner. The roller latch is easily actuated, and easier to pop up with a pinky, thumb flick...or by squeezing the handles.

The Morpho has a beautiful jeweled anodized titanium liner. It looks like it's iridescent namesake, the Morpho butterfly. It has a springlatch that is much easier to open than a Benchmade 4X series-taking less force and the force can be at any angle, as opposed to a 42, for example. It is lightweight making it forgiving for aerials and it is not as likely to cut you as a heavier balisong. The blade is razor sharp from the factory and it does have a lifesharp guarantee. The integrated titanium clip allows for easier EDC. Because it's lighter and the Balance is not in the end of the handles, it's not as easy to flip as a Kimura, Arc Angel, BM 4x or basilisk.

If you're given the opportunity to get a Basilisk, don't think, just buy it.

However, the Morpho is not to shabby, either.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3665/98784174.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/98784174.jpg/)

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8420/94467402.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/94467402.jpg/)

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6033/22920383.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/22920383.jpg/)

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9203/60717177.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/60717177.jpg/)

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3562/93234576.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/93234576.jpg/)

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1544/20030424.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/20030424.jpg/)

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7520/79988299.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/79988299.jpg/)

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6314/39242218.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/39242218.jpg/)

CDR_Glock
January 11, 2011, 10:44 AM
I just got a Jody Sampson Recurve Bowie with Black Micarta.

It has replaced the 49-05...I never thought I would say that:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3759/50190070.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/50190070.jpg/)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3587/51188252.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/51188252.jpg/)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9454/47031815.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/47031815.jpg/)

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6602/16563950.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/16563950.jpg/)

That blade is SEXY!!!!

CDR_Glock
January 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-6cdf-d550.jpg

A tribute to butterflies.

rayman
January 11, 2011, 09:02 PM
You even used 29. Nice touch.

CDR_Glock
January 12, 2011, 11:09 PM
You even used 29. Nice touch.

I just kept filling in the space. I was looking at the Benchmade Logo when I tried this. I left 10 out.

My latest score:

29 Knives Latchless Stiletto.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-6949-6331.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-6956-8b61.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-6960-5009.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-696a-0ea1.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-6973-7d15.jpg

rayman
January 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
Dude... Why? You are trying to make us jelous! I hate being poor!

Yo Mama
January 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
CDR, you rock man.

CDR_Glock
January 13, 2011, 10:20 PM
Dude... Why? You are trying to make us jelous! I hate being poor!

I am just sharing. I can stop.

I 4 ordered, one for Feb, March, May and Sept. That is all folks.

CDR_Glock
January 18, 2011, 11:15 PM
29 knives, Chris Olofson, Latchless Stiletto balisong with Cocobolo inserts. Scary sharp and heavy!

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-4ee4-3ffc.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-4ef2-ab65.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-4efe-6352.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-4f0a-1f87.jpg

It is heavy as you can see from the pressure into my wife's pillow.

CDR_Glock
January 19, 2011, 08:56 PM
5 knives incoming!!!! Friday!!!!

rayman
January 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
I've never understood double edged balis. when I open & close one, I rely on the dull side. They must be just-to-look-at knives.

CDR_Glock
January 21, 2011, 02:09 PM
I've never understood double edged balis. when I open & close one, I rely on the dull side. They must be just-to-look-at knives.

Not for flipping. They are designed for opening and stabbing. No other purpose.

CDR_Glock
January 21, 2011, 11:36 PM
Warren Thomas titanium, carbide and carbon fiber blade. Handles are titanium. IKBS. Great flipper.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-503a-711c.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-504b-1364.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-5058-7786.jpg

CDR_Glock
January 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
I am getting this one soon:

Terry Guinn Green Goblin (someone elses pix).

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b6f-014f-ce25.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b6f-015c-248e.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890b6f-0167-a207.jpg

CDR_Glock
January 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
This is a custom knife made by Terry Guinn. This is numbered 6 and I believe there are only 15 that exist. The handles are steel and the hinges are IKBS. The contour is like a Szabofly but the knife is as functional as it is unique and beautiful. There is an elongated finger guard making this a formidable fighting knife if necessary but something this high end would not be an Every Day Carry Knife. The blade to me, looks like a Scimitar and it's a work of art! The etching is gorgeous.

Aside from aesthetics, this has one of the most unique closing mechanisms. It utilizes magnets to lock in the open and closed positions. Despite the weight, due to the smoothness of IKBS, it is a great flipper. It takes a few practice attempts to determine its intrinsic momentum given the field strength of the magnetic latches. It took a few attempts to get the guy to do a Y2K or helix since you have to actuate the handles beyond the gravity of the magnet.

This is an AWESOME balisong and it utilizes the art of a Persian or Asian style knife with the modern technology of IKBS and invisible Magnetic closure.

This is a BAD ASS KNIFE!!!

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0e7b-a524.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0e86-4b28.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0e8f-d32f.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0e9a-053a.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0f0e-686a.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0f19-6e05.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0f23-ae62.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-0f30-001a.jpg

rayman
February 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hey, what's the going price on a BM 42 these days?

CDR_Glock
February 7, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hey, what's the going price on a BM 42 these days?

$300. I have seen them list for as high as $325. Once discontinued, I see them selling for no less than $400. The $120 trainers are going for $450-$500.

Yo Mama
February 8, 2011, 07:40 PM
CDR, man I don't know what to say. You rock this thread! I would not want to see your knife budget.

CDR_Glock
February 9, 2011, 01:02 AM
I have slowed down.

I have others that I didn't post.

I have a few customs ordered made by Chris Olofson( 29 knives) Scimitar/Carbon Fiber, Rick Haney Taipan, Dalton, Matt Cook Titanium/Cocobolo and a Nathan Dewey Scimitar/Ti handles.

CDR_Glock
February 9, 2011, 01:03 AM
CDR, man I don't know what to say. You rock this thread! I would not want to see your knife budget.

Yo,

Did you get any?

The spectrum of Balisongs is mind boggling.

Yo Mama
February 10, 2011, 12:54 PM
I postponed my purchase of the Twist for a BM 15020 Bone Collector (just a great blade, I really love it). A Bali is still on the horizon, but I had to prioritize an upcoming Kabar kukri purchase. :uhoh:

You definately have a passion CDR. It's an honor to see your collection.

The spectrum of Balisongs is mind boggling.

Ha! You should know. You have most of them. :)

hso
February 10, 2011, 09:40 PM
Brilliant thread!

CDR_Glock
February 11, 2011, 12:32 AM
I postponed my purchase of the Twist for a BM 15020 Bone Collector (just a great blade, I really love it). A Bali is still on the horizon, but I had to prioritize an upcoming Kabar kukri purchase. :uhoh:

You definately have a passion CDR. It's an honor to see your collection.

Ha! You should know. You have most of them. :)

Hahahaha!

If you re-read the evolution of my thoughts in this thread, I didn't care for them at first. Now I have 42. That's funny!

I may be selling off a few and keeping a few. I am undecided.

CDR_Glock
February 16, 2011, 07:21 AM
I commissioned Nathan Dewey, a new Balisong maker to create a titanium Balisong.

Drawing
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-b2b1-e5cf.jpg

Blade
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-b2dc-b300.jpg

Blade/tang pins
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-b2f3-e5de.jpg

Liner
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-b300-763c.jpg

Liner/hardware
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-b30f-aad7.jpg

Contoured titanium scales
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-b32a-83b1.jpg

Completed knife
http://184.72.239.143/mu/62e757ea-b345-6e09.jpg

CDR_Glock
February 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
Comparison photos of the Cutlass with a 42 and a Dalton Scourge:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890bed-f1e6-724d.jpg

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890bed-f20d-54ad.jpg

jahwarrior
February 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
i ust picked up an old BM 239 w/serrations and a small Taylor Bowie blade balisong at a flea market. i love it when vendors don't know what they have.:neener:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/010-2.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/011-2.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/012-2.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/016-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/019-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/020-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/023-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/024-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/025-1.jpg

CDR_Glock
February 19, 2011, 04:30 PM
i ust picked up an old BM 239 w/serrations and a small Taylor Bowie blade balisong at a flea market. i love it when vendors don't know what they have.:neener:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/010-2.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/011-2.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/012-2.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/016-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/019-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/020-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/023-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/024-1.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/025-1.jpg

Always nice to find an Easter Egg. Nice pickups!

CDR_Glock
April 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
DDR Venturi VIII, 42, Arc Angel
http://tapatalk.com/mu/62e757ea-f8ea-b4a2.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/62e757ea-f8fb-67f9.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/62e757ea-f907-c687.jpg

Pinoy Knife FHM by Matt Cook
http://tapatalk.com/mu/62e757ea-f947-a546.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/62e757ea-f969-352f.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/62e757ea-f97b-ff5b.jpg

FHM 33 cm Labaha and 29 cm Buyod

http://tapatalk.com/mu/62e757ea-f9a3-567f.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/62e757ea-f9b3-fdaa.jpg

CDR_Glock
April 30, 2011, 09:02 AM
hey, what's the going price on a bm 42 these days?

4/30/11:

$350-$380 nib

CDR_Glock
May 7, 2011, 06:48 PM
44, 45S, 41MC, 46MC, 42S, 47, 42, 51, Warren Thomas/Brian Fellhoelter, Arc Angel, 51, Pinoy knife FHM (Matt Cook).

jahwarrior
May 14, 2011, 03:54 PM
double edged sweetness:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/jahwarrior72/armoury/007-6.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/jahwarrior72/armoury/008-4.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/jahwarrior72/armoury/013-6.jpg

most of my collection:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/003-5.jpg
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/010-5.jpg
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dianabanana45/007-6.jpg

forgetitohio
May 14, 2011, 07:10 PM
Can anybody tell me where I can find info(selling price) for the butterfly that my Dad brought back from WW2 in the Philippines?
Single side blade, bone and teak on the handle,frame made of brass and the latch is brass. No numbers or ID of any kind.
This has been in the attic for yrs; never carried.

jahwarrior
May 14, 2011, 07:35 PM
post a pic of it; me or someone else will be able to tell you.

CDR_Glock
July 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
Here is my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/titaniummd

I have put my collection on video.

CDR_Glock
March 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
The Green Alpha is by Matt Cook and the Bronze Mutant is by Chuck Gedraitis. This was designed by the Bladerunners, Looseyfur and Knifezoid.

Both have titanium handles and they have bushings for pivots.

http://img.tapatalk.com/18fe9fbd-23b6-2145.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/18fe9fbd-23c0-b598.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/18fe9fbd-23cb-d122.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/18fe9fbd-23d5-9efa.jpg

Mutant
http://img.tapatalk.com/18fe9fbd-23df-50fe.jpg

Alpha B!tch
http://img.tapatalk.com/18fe9fbd-23f7-799b.jpg

Yo Mama
March 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
Wicked CDR! Good to see you're back in action.

CDR_Glock
March 28, 2012, 09:40 PM
I'm having a hard time finding anything else to buy.

CDR_Glock
March 6, 2013, 06:45 PM
I decided to put my Balisongs where I can see and reach them all.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/tasaga5e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/9amuhune.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/y8usedas.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/enahumy2.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/pe2yjasu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/ge8ynahy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/e9yqe2es.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/8e4y3uju.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/5ehyruru.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/vehaqaqe.jpg

hjOw2hYTD_4

Yo Mama
March 7, 2013, 09:01 AM
How many fingers do you have left? :what:

That video make me have a tingle up my leg!

Zeeemu
March 7, 2013, 11:43 AM
How many fingers left? ROFL! That's a good one. :)

Ages ago I tried carrying a switch blade but it kept opening in my pocket and stabbing my fingers. :eek:
It didn't take me long to swap it for a folding lock blade. I'm much happier now.

Bobson
March 7, 2013, 01:55 PM

I bought a Benchmade 42, new, but I never even used it. They are fancy knives but I don't care for it.
A lot has changed in the last two and a half years, eh CDR?

CDR_Glock
March 11, 2013, 09:37 PM
A lot has changed in the last two and a half years, eh CDR?

Bobson

Hahahahahahahaha. Gunfighter123 swayed my opinion. May he rest in peace. I still don't carry them, though.

CDR_Glock
June 4, 2013, 12:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQoiOBACSaY

CDR_Glock
June 11, 2013, 07:28 PM
My newest knife. Looks like a great EDC knife. Love the large blade.

Latchless handles made of Black Paper Micarta.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/mateba9e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/u4eqyvu3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/y9uty6ur.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/nehetahe.jpg

MD Caldwell.

Double_J
June 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
Really wish I could find a good one for a good price. I had the chance to buy a German made model a number of years ago. I want to say the guy was willing to let it go for $50.00, the sticker was $70.00. I did not have the money that day, and did not get paid for another week. I am still kicking myself for that, but when you are 16 years old and have a part-time job making minimum wage $50.00 is a lot of money.

Oh well, guess I just need to save up my pennies and get one from benchmade. :)

Yo Mama
June 12, 2013, 10:48 AM
Nice addition CDR!

CDR_Glock
June 12, 2013, 10:36 PM
Nice addition CDR!

Especially since it was only $50 plus shipping.

hso
June 13, 2013, 09:36 PM
WHAT?!

Ok, where do we apply?

CDR_Glock
June 13, 2013, 09:51 PM
WHAT?!

Ok, where do we apply?

They're all already sold. He only made 20.

CDR_Glock
June 24, 2013, 09:51 PM
Chris_Himself and Chris Olofson: Big thumbs up to both of you!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/6ebyzany.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/3e7u5agy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/nejuhury.jpg

I always admired 29 Knives but I found them always to be heavy and the latches stiff. So I decided to go latchless with both. The Kampilan has Titanium handles. The Imada style Bowie has Brass Handles.

I'm really happy with both of these.

If you enjoyed reading about "All these Bali threads!?!?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!