Chronograh observations

PDA

jr_roosa
August 15, 2010, 05:08 AM
I got a Beta Master Chrony this week and have been playing with it at the range. It works well, and other than having a fantastically outdated user interface I am very happy with it.

Here's some stuff I found:

.30-30 loads in the Hornady manual run within 50fps or so for Win 748. Remington factory ammo also runs close to specification.

.38 Special loads in the Hornady manual for Bullseye and Power Pistol are also just about dead on (shot out of a 4" M19 compared to a 4" M10 in the manual).

For .357mag, the Hornady VV-N110 load is about 150fps slow out of my 4" barrel compared to the 6" test gun.

.45acp loads in the Hornady manual for Power Pistol and 230g HP-XTPs are WAY TOO HOT. I was running max loads that showed no pressure signs, but had some stout recoil and ejection, and they were running just over 1000 fps with one close to 1100 fps as opposed to the 900fps reported in the manual. Yikes. These were shot after WWB which was within 5 fps of factory spec, so I think that the numbers are real.

-J.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chronograh observations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JimKirk
August 15, 2010, 08:47 AM
What you "found" is how much your guns differ from the guns in the manual!!

Two of my shooting buddies have two Model 700 7mm mags exactly alike, the last serial number is 5 numbers apart. One shoots about 175 fps faster than the other using the same load.

Chronographs are fun to play with and will tell you what you gun and load is doing... nothing about anybody else unless they shoot over the same machine.

I enjoy my Pact Model 1 and use it to compare loads with my guns, one load to another.

Jimmy K

JDGray
August 15, 2010, 09:08 AM
Chronos are a great tool, and every reloader should have one. I found Sieras data to be spot on using their bullets on my last work up! Power Pistol is an awesome powder, I use it in 380, 9mm, 45ACP, and it seems like starting loads are indeed to powerful, but its just the flashyness of the powder. I shot my 45 inside at a dimmly lit range, and you'd swear I was shooting a 44Mag with all the fireballs:D

Enjoy you new tool! I'm gonna start a poll, in your name, on "how long before he shoots his chrono":D

375shooter
August 15, 2010, 11:02 AM
For reloaders, a chronograph is is one of those things that once you have one, you can never do without it. It just provides so much valuable information. At least IMO.

The Bushmaster
August 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
Oh darnies...!! Double post.

The Bushmaster
August 15, 2010, 11:19 AM
Like everything else about reloading they are habit forming. Can't load and shoot without one.:D

I, also, like my 20+ year old Pact 1. It's only been to the factory for repairs once in that 20 years+ and they repaired it free. It was already 10 years old at the time.:)

alfack
August 15, 2010, 02:14 PM
I've got the same chrony. What I like about it is the remote display with the long cord. Then you can just plug a 9v battery into the display piece only to get your data later.

jr_roosa
August 15, 2010, 02:24 PM
What I like about it is the remote display with the long cord.

I use a pistol box when I shoot, so I stick the display to the magazine magnet and it holds it right up where I can see it and it keeps it from getting knocked on the floor.

"how long before he shoots his chrono"

It does have that nice cross-hair on the front. Hard to resist.

-J.

JimKirk
August 15, 2010, 07:19 PM
You know why they print that crosshair on the front??

If it was on the back...

You'd have a have a mirror to see if you hit it or not!!!

Just kidding ... the real reasons ... is so they sell more Chronys !! Lots more!

Jimmy K

medalguy
August 15, 2010, 09:06 PM
Before you take it out to the range, stop by the hardware store and buy four wooden dowels the same diameter as the metal rods. You'll find out why later.....:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Chronograh observations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!