Large Primers Instead of Magnum???

PDA

Muttt
August 15, 2010, 11:27 PM
My go to shop is out of Magnum Rifle primers for my 7mm Rem Mag. If were to replace them with Large Rifle primers would they work OK?? I know I might loose 5 or 6 fps but I'm just using them at the range anyway. Will it work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Large Primers Instead of Magnum???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
August 16, 2010, 12:24 AM
Will it work? Maybe.

The cartridges that use magnum primers are typically loaded with slow burning, and sometimes difficult to ignite propellants. That magnum primer is a bit "hotter" to guarantee ignition.

Sooo, maybe.

The book answer is to use what the manual calls for. I would shop around or order a thousand or two from an online vendor before making up your own recipes.

JimKirk
August 16, 2010, 07:08 AM
If were to replace them with Large Rifle primers would they work OK??

Depends on what "OK" means to you, if you mean that they will fire, then yes, they will.

If you plan to shoot during cooler weather, I would find some magnum primers.

But, yes they will shoot and you may or may not loose any fps.

I'm in the lower US and we do not have the cold tempertures that requires magnum primers here. But I always use them "if" I can get them.

Jimmy K

Grumulkin
August 16, 2010, 09:33 PM
Actually, large rifle primers (i.e., Federal 210M) are what I use in my 7mm Remington Magnum. They work well; in fact they work better than the large rifle magnum primers I tried.

gun guy
August 16, 2010, 09:38 PM
i've noticed on many magnums, magnum primers are only required on a few of the loads with large charges of the slower powders, there are usually plenty of loads, with plenty of powders that will get near maxV with a standard primer. and then there is the standard or magnum universal primers that claim to work with any powder. i dont prime till i have decided on a recipe.

NCsmitty
August 16, 2010, 10:09 PM
Magnum primers are often beneficial if you are using ball (spherical) powder, as most ball powders are harder to ignite than extruded or flake powders, especially if low air temperatures are encountered, as JimKirk mentioned.
The other benefit is when shooting a large magnum case full of powder over 70gr or more.
That's the criteria that guide my use of magnum primers.

NCsmitty

sonier
August 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
a lot of my manuals call for magnum primers with my 357 mag and H-110 loads. I never have had any problems with using normal primers and these loads. If it works for you go for it. Personally my self defense loads i use magnum primers jsut to ensure i have a better chance, if I were to be laoding for a rifle my hunting rounds would have magnum primers. My practice rounds I wouldnt care.

Publius1688
August 17, 2010, 06:19 PM
Load half a dozen and set them aside 'til the weekend. Try them out. If it works, go for it.
However, if you plan on hunting with those rounds this fall, I'd order some LRM primers before opening day....

Muttt
August 17, 2010, 07:02 PM
I only have a couple dozen to load. I have a bunch of large primers from my wolf brass. Anyway, I just figured I'd ask. I'm just punching paper with them. I figure if they go off I'm good to go. If they don't ..... well, no problem either.

Thanks

Mal H
August 17, 2010, 08:11 PM
It really depends on the powder, so which one are you considering?

ArchAngelCD
August 18, 2010, 01:43 AM
If your local shop has some CCI #34 NATO primers there are just as hot as Magnum primers. If not like said above, it will depend upon what powder and the charge you are using whether or not standard LR primers will work well for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Large Primers Instead of Magnum???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!