bullet tip modifing???????????

PDA

rozziboy18
August 16, 2010, 03:51 AM
what do you guys think of this? worth the money? or just another guy trying to make a buck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_7jjSnUNZw

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet tip modifing???????????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Muttt
August 16, 2010, 05:41 AM
In theory it may work. Aerodynamics say it would. But, reality says that the tip doesn't make much difference. Length of the bullet, ogive and weight play more of a factor than the very tip.

Look at soft tip hunting points. Some of them shoot just as well. On the other hand, look a Nosler's bullets.

I can't give you a good answer. I can only give you more to think about.

Walkalong
August 16, 2010, 07:28 AM
Won't help in 99% of applications. probably doesn't help much in that other 1% either.

bullseye308
August 16, 2010, 08:21 AM
just another guy trying to make a buck?

Most likely. The benefit you would get from doing that would be so small, if any, that only very few could see a slight difference. Tha base of the bullet matters the most.

TonyAngel
August 16, 2010, 10:12 AM
I really don't see what the benefit would be. Well, since the little jig spaces off of the ogive, I supposed that you could get a really uniform OAL, for whatever that's worth.

Heavies
August 16, 2010, 10:32 AM
The main application for closing and pointing the tip of the bullet is to make the BC more uniform. That is the main advantage of the plastic balistic tips used in Amax's and Noslers.
You would see a difference in performance in longer ranges in the form of less vertical dispertion of the shots fired. Main use would be for paper punching.

The Bushmaster
August 16, 2010, 10:35 AM
The experts (they're drips now) found that the point of the bullet has little to do with accuracy. But the base of the bullet has a lot to do with accuracy. Just the slightest ding and the bullets flight will be off...Looks like a waste of money just to make your bullets look "custom pro"...

taliv
August 16, 2010, 10:35 AM
seems like the current fad among the benchresters i hang out with. they're all moving to it and claiming to see some modest improvement in bc. my GUESS is that it will wind up like moly; everybody will do it for a few years, then will collectively decide it's not worth it

USSR
August 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
Meplat uniforming "may" be beneficial to someone "really good" at shooting in 1,000 yard competition. As for myself, in 8 years of 1,000 yard F Class shooting, I find I have many other more pressing things to deal with, that offer me far greater rewards on target.

Don

Walkalong
August 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
Since it might make .0001 difference on target, and that puff of wind we miss can make an inch of difference, I think I would concentrate on the wind, or trigger, or shoulder, or load, or............ :cool:

Like Don posted, better things to worry about.

my GUESS is that it will wind up like moly; everybody will do it for a few years, then will collectively decide it's not worth it Probably.

rcmodel
August 16, 2010, 12:29 PM
Waste of time & money unless you shoot a single-shot bench-rest rifle.

Those really pointy bullet tips will just get flattened in the magazine by recoil battering them.

rc

rozziboy18
August 16, 2010, 03:45 PM
I agree but never hurts to ask questions. I am a ameture to all thinks benchrest beyont 200 yards.

Howard Roark
August 16, 2010, 07:36 PM
Meplat uniforming has its place. It will make all the bullets in a box have closer to the same BC. This helps eliminate verticle groups. It also however lowers the BC because it blunts the bullet tip.

Meplat trimming along with bullet pointing is the way to go. Pointing after trimming will bring the bullet back to and exceed the origional BC of the bullet.

Some swear by it and some swear at it. It looks like John Whidden is on his way to win his 3rd national long range championship. We'll know later tonight or tomorrow.

Here is a good article on 6mmbr.com about him and his pointing and trimming system. (http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletpointer.html)

There are a lot more people that point and trim bullets than many might that think that there are. Even Sierra has gotten into the pointing business with their factory pointed 2156 SMK. Their bullet pointing technique has a lot to be desired though.

ArchAngelCD
August 18, 2010, 02:05 AM
I'm nowhere near good enough of a shot for that tool to make any difference in my accuracy. :o

Friendly, Don't Fire!
August 18, 2010, 07:51 AM
Any rifle I have, including my most accurate, would most likely NOT benefit from this tool.

Imho, you would need an extremely accurate rifle shooting extremely accurate bullets at extreme distances. For those people who have such a rifle and such loads, I would think they are already using a bullet that is so good, this would not need to be done to any of the bullets.

It's kind of like putting a special gas (nitrogen?) in your tires when you have a ten-year old minivan with 200,000 miles on it. Yes, it must make a difference, but how much difference?

When a truck is going 50 MPH and hits a fly, physics tells us that the truck slows down a bit from hitting the fly. How much slower does the truck go upon "fly-impact" - perhaps .0000000000000000000000000000000000001 MPH slower.

Afy
August 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
Meplat, Run Out, Case Weighing, loading from particular powder lots et al... while facinating will not help the overwhelming majority of shooters.

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet tip modifing???????????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!