HBN

PDA

Heavies
August 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
Any one out there using HBN/Hexagonal Boron Nitrate to coat their bullets?

I have been using it for a while now and have noticed that...
I have less fouling
Barrel is super easy to clean (Copper/Carbon are wiped clean with only a few brushings and a couple of wet patches)
First shot is very close if not dead on with the rest. (no foulers needed to get to the real POI)

I have been coating bullets in my vibratory tumber in old pill bottles with BB's.
I use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and HBN to "season" the barrel before a match to eliminate fouler shots.
I first swab all the oil, I leave in the bore for storage, out with pure rubbing alcohol, then I use one soaked patch of HBN/alcohol mix, then one dry patch to get out any excess.
I mixed some in hoppes gun oil and use as a lube on all moving parts.(slick as snot!) I even use it on my Colt .45, to lube the slide.very smooth.

Any one have any other uses? Good/bad experiences? Any other opinions on the use of HBN?
:)
To me it's been some kind of miracal powder. I would like to know how it has been working out for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "HBN" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kernel
August 16, 2010, 02:28 PM
HBN is the new secret sauce? Never heard of it, but sounds interesting. I'd use paint thinner or something like it (MEK would really degrease it!) to prep my barrel. Rubbing alchol contains a lot of water, and that can't be good for a barrel.

Heavies
August 16, 2010, 06:04 PM
I use the alcohol treatment immeadiately before a match. It took a little experimentation on the amount and the proceedure of application to get the best results in POI change reduction...

After the match, barrel is cleaned and lubed. I've been doing it for a while now, and I don't see any rust formation whatsoever.
It really helps with that first few rounds for sighters as generally we don't get to shoot any foulers before our f-class matches.

Funny, HBN has been around for a while now I would think more people would have tried it by now.

If you enjoyed reading about "HBN" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!