higher capacity factory magazines/varmint rifles

PDA

cyrano
August 16, 2010, 02:40 PM
I know Savage Arms sells 10-round factory magazines for their Savage Predator Hunter rifles. Does any other rifle maker do the same? Cyrano

If you enjoyed reading about "higher capacity factory magazines/varmint rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 16, 2010, 03:13 PM
I can't imagine a need for more then the standard five rounds for "predator" or varmint hunting.

With the 22-250 & .243 you have to stop shooting and let them cool off or you will burn a barrel out in no time flat.

I have hunted coyotes for nearly 50 years and can't ever remember running a bolt-action dry.
You either killed them with the first shot or two, or they will have run clear out of the county by then.

rc

cyrano
August 16, 2010, 07:10 PM
No coyotes, just little sage rats. I live in central Oregon.
cyrano

rcmodel
August 17, 2010, 11:54 AM
Well, you still have to pace yourself if you want the barrel to survive very long.

I had a buddy burn out a new Remington 700 6mm barrel on a prairie dog town in one morning.

Stopping to reload a standard box mag every five rounds isn't even long enough to allow the barrel to cool down on a hot day.

rc

mljdeckard
August 17, 2010, 12:06 PM
Have you considered an AR?

There are aftermarket kits for many Remington 700 models for box magazines.

CraigC
August 17, 2010, 12:33 PM
If it suits your range needs, you may want to augment your battery with a good rimfire while your centerfire cools.

If you enjoyed reading about "higher capacity factory magazines/varmint rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!